Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can't get these goblins to show up just like in the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I figured given the break between games some of the basic storytelling would have improved but apparently not. Is it even possible to make a Final Fantasy game that doesn't have arbitrary and pointless encounters with super powered bad guy who proceeds to threaten but do nothing while showing complete dominance over the protagonists? Then to have said protagonists mock the encounter and proclaim how they'll beat him next time despite all evidence to the contrary?

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

nessin posted:

I figured given the break between games some of the basic storytelling would have improved but apparently not. Is it even possible to make a Final Fantasy game that doesn't have arbitrary and pointless encounters with super powered bad guy who proceeds to threaten but do nothing while showing complete dominance over the protagonists? Then to have said protagonists mock the encounter and proclaim how they'll beat him next time despite all evidence to the contrary?

Guh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Like I said, magic can be ridiculously good, you just really have to put the points into the magic skill tree to make it worthwhile.

But I'm too busy putting points in the physical and team skills trees so that ain't happening right now.

It doesn't matter if it's powerful (which it is.) It's just not fun to use. When it's powerful it is just a "eh, I don't want to do this fight" button.

nessin posted:

That isn't "Final Fantasy." that's "almost every video game ever made."

Edit: Also films and books.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i think making big explosions is very fun actually

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I spend a lot of time fishing with my hot topic refugee animes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone seen their companions use magic? I've equipped them but so far no dice.

Yes, they seem to only use it in really tough fights. Also now that I've figured it out I love the magic system, because magic is basically a "gently caress this battle" button for trash mobs, which makes exploring a lot better.

Also goddamn S-E, grats on making a fishing minigame that is genuinely fun as gently caress.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

precision posted:

Also goddamn S-E, grats on making a fishing minigame that is genuinely fun as gently caress.

It wasn't really SE bar publication but Nier's was too, if you completely ignored the tutorial and found out how to do it right elsewhere. Played about the same, actually, if I recall.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I genuinely look forward to going through my pictures at the end of the day. Gonna have the sweetest road trip album.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Edit wrong thread

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Amazon Chat Transcript posted:

Initial Question: Hello I received my preorder for Final Fantasy XV and was looking at my invoice and it appears I was charged for $50.99 instead of the Prime price of $47.99. I would like an adjustment please.

10:33 PM PST Japhet(Amazon): Hello, my name is Japhet. I'm here to help you today.
10:33 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Hello Japhet.
10:33 PM PST Japhet: Thank you for being a Prime member.
I am sorry that you have been charged incorrectly for your pre-order game. \
10:34 PM PST Japhet: Just to confirm, you want to get a price match for the correct amount, right?
10:34 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Yes, correct.
10:35 PM PST Japhet: Oh I see. May I ask for the order number, please?
10:35 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Sure, it's xxx-xxxxxxxx-xxxxxxxx
10:35 PM PST Japhet: Thank you so much, 8-bit.
10:36 PM PST Japhet: Upon checking here, I can see that the Prime Saving special offer for this item has not been applied.
10:37 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Yes, that is the reason for this chat.
10:38 PM PST Japhet: To correct this, I will send a form to our Marketing and Promotions Team to honor the 20% discount you are supposed to get.
10:38 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: OK
10:38 PM PST Japhet: Since the amount of the item is $50.99, the discounted price must be $40.79.
I will send a request to process a refund for the missing $10.19 you could have saved.
10:39 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Sounds good.
10:39 PM PST Japhet: Great! Please allow me a minute to process it for you.
10:41 PM PST Japhet: There you go! I have submitted the form.
10:42 PM PST Japhet: You can expect the response from the Marketing and Promotions Team within 1-2 business days to inform you about the refund for the discount you are supposed to get.
10:42 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Alright, not a problem.
10:43 PM PST Japhet: Thank you so much, 8-bit. I hope I was able to resolve your concern for today.
10:43 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Very much, yes!
10:43 PM PST Japhet: That's great! Cheers! Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today.
10:44 PM PST 8-bit Miniboss: Nope, that was all.
10:44 PM PST Japhet: I'm glad you have given me the chance to help you today.

Sure, I'll take an extra 8 bucks back. :mmmhmm:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Carmant posted:

Ignis is the most handsome boy

:swoon:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's up with the chapter order? 1-2 are linear, 3 is open, and the rest are linear again? Im only on 3 so far, but it seemed like people were saying it's nice and open, which it hasn't been so far at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any guide to weapon moves(moving the stick when attacking)? They seem super inconsistent.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's up with the chapter order? 1-2 are linear, 3 is open, and the rest are linear again? Im only on 3 so far, but it seemed like people were saying it's nice and open, which it hasn't been so far at all.
Depends what you mean by open. I was able to stop progressing in Chapter 1 for quite a while and just did sidequests.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh, regarding the Road Trip DLC stuff that's not the weapons. They're key items. It's 50% off coupons for gas and lodgings (dunno if they're one time use) and a better camera for Prompto from what I can tell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Depends what you mean by open. I was able to stop progressing in Chapter 1 for quite a while and just did sidequests.

Yeah, the first two chapters have hunts and sidequests and poo poo, you're not obligated to follow the main plot at any time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So where do Noctis and co. get their camping equipment from?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same place Noctis gets his weapons from.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

RatHat posted:

They only use the finest COLEMAN brand camping gear

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

RatHat posted:

Cmon they get it from Coleman. It says right on the chairs :q:

edit: loving beat :(

Noirex
May 30, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, regarding the Road Trip DLC stuff that's not the weapons. They're key items. It's 50% off coupons for gas and lodgings (dunno if they're one time use) and a better camera for Prompto from what I can tell.

The discounts are permanent from what I played so far.

How do you use the improved camera for Prompto? What exactly does it do? Allow more photos?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd appreciate magic more if it didn't have a cooldown. If I could just rapid fire 2-3 Fires in succession I'd like it a lot more.

Any damage tiering on the bros yet? I've been assuming so far that it's Prompto > Gladio > Ignis, but that's just my base assumption - I figure Prompto would gets lots of damage and combos to make up for his crappy health. Ignis would have the worst damage (although dagger speed seems to help make up a lot of that) but the best support and seems to be the best at magic.

Then again Prompto's niche might just be able to stay at range because I barely pay attention to him. If I'm using techs it's usually either Regroup or one of Gladio's DIE BOSS techs.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Prompto has a loving gun of course his niche is to stay at range.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Man, I was wondering why that was. Hell, I'll take it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Man, don't go in the belouve mines by the quay. Level 7 enemies, seems appropriate. Oh wait here's some fuckoff level 52 piece if poo poo that one shots everything and you can't get out of the pit where it is so just die and reload I guess. :coal:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well sure but if his damage is utter crap then he might well have a pea shooter for all the good that being at range does him. I'd rather have a beefy wall like Gladio since Noctis can easily take down birds anyway.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Prompto is the MVP of every fight. Taking pictures is an important job. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems like the Behemoth hunt is now designed to teach you to use magic effectively but it only taught me how unwieldy it is with 50 tons of monster trying to eviscerate you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems like the Behemoth hunt is now designed to teach you to use magic effectively but it only taught me how unwieldy it is with 50 tons of monster trying to eviscerate you.

It taught me a Japanese boy band doesn't understand that fire is hot and to not stand in it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

I failed every attempt to burn the barrels. My teammates did all the works as I was running around waiting for spells to recharge.

It's not great design.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Magic would be ridiculously OP if you could just spam it. Seriously, just keep the defense button held down, group all the enemies together, tap the button and backflip some magic into their collective asses.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I couldn't figure out how to aim my magic fire thing at those barrels so i killed it without using magic. :downs:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't bother trying to kill it properly at first because I assumed it was unkillable without the gimmick like in the Duscae demo, then I ran out of Fire, realised it was almost dead and stabbed it the rest of the way there.

In case other people haven't worked it out you can hold down the magic button to aim it like a grenade.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Iris dragging Noct around. :allears: He hates it so much.

Also what's the deal with stamina? I thought I remember seeing videos of people somehow instantly refilling theirs. I thought it was something you can get with AP or something but it doesn't look like it is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Speaking of which, when can you first grab new outfits? I'm partway through Chapter 3. I think the Quay is the only place I haven't checked yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thumbtacks posted:

Iris dragging Noct around. :allears: He hates it so much.

Also what's the deal with stamina? I thought I remember seeing videos of people somehow instantly refilling theirs. I thought it was something you can get with AP or something but it doesn't look like it is.

If you let go of the sprint button (or click L3 again) just before it hits zero it will recharge to full.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

As someone who hasn't played a FF since XIII (in which I quit because it simply wasn't fun) and never played any of the online rpg's this is off to a really good start. Still at the starting point just loving around, and love the combat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I bet the Crispy Cheese Pizza is also part of the Road Trip DLC, the buffs are really good for no ingredients.

100+ Attack
Infinite Stamina
Poison Immunity

For nothing.

• Locked thread