Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

KoB posted:

Sunrise tried to recreate the magic of Geass like 5 times and failed every time, this sequel will probably be bad.

None of those attempts (most of which weren't really by Sunrise either) had Taniguchi or Lelouch.

That's important because while Taniguchi isn't perfect, he was arguably the most talented person on the team. Lelouch's presence speaks for itself.

ImpAtom posted:

Oh it's probably going to be loving horrible. The key is if it's just BAD horrible or of it's 'nonstop insane trainwreck" horrible. The latter is the true spirit of Geass.

I'd say the true spirit of Code Geass is making a very theatrical presentation of a crazy narrative that shouldn't work on paper but actually kind of does. If it didn't, THEN it'd be horrible.

It'll probably make more sense than people are giving it credit for, as in more than the worst of R2, because they should avoid the behind-the-scenes issues this time around.

But of course, it's certainly a given that any sequel would be over-the-top and full of crazy events. That's how Code Geass works, but I don't consider that "bad" in any sense.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My question is what will Lelouch's character be like?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

My question is what will Lelouch's character be like?

This is a valid question, given that his situation might be pretty different. Aside from the same voice and mannerisms, naturally.

If they don't go with the immortality theory and just outright revive him, I assume he'll be more familiar in terms of personality.

If they do pick up that concept, then you'd figure they'll need to give him a new conflict and motivation to act. Risky but possibly interesting.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also the code geass spinoffs were prequels with different characters and movies.

I think if they made tv version for the movies maybe they would have done better but it's still a question mark. Nobody really cares for the world of Code Geass so a prequel doesn't mean much. Unless the prequel was about the characters we cared about like suzaku, karen, lelouch. Also there was a over saturation of Code Geass stuff after R2. They made a bunch of summary movies, spin off movies, spin off light novels and all of it was recaps or stuff we didn't care about.

This is a direct sequel with the same characters and if they can get the same director it will be even better. Anyway this has generated way more hype than any of those spinoffs/prequels/etc...
If they can get a good trailer and the premise looks interesting people will get even more hyped.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I am so down for the continued theatrics and dramatics of Lelouch.... ONLY if it still manages to throw in a pizza centric episode.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Talkc posted:

I am so down for the continued theatrics and dramatics of Lelouch.... ONLY if it still manages to throw in a pizza centric episode.

That depends on Pizza Hut

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

devtesla posted:

That depends on Pizza Hut

On C.C.'s Facebook:

Friendship ended with PIZZA HUT
Now DOMINOS is my best friend

Problem solved :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pizza Hut's withdrawal of support was certainly the critical blow to Lelouch's control of the Black Knights.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I absolutely can not wait to see more Code Geass. Being able to look forward to more Lelouch ham, Suzaku idiocy, Orange loyalty, and CC pizza is an early Christmas present for me, and is going to make the rest of the holiday season look like crap by comparison. Bring on the glorious train-wreck. LONG LIVE BRITANIA! LONG LIVE LELOUCH!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oh man. I completely failed to consider we'd get more Orange ham to go with all the Lelouch ham.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Depending on how MANY years have passed, on top of Orange Ham we may have Orange Ninja Ham.

There are so many possibilities for this when you get down to it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Zebulon posted:

Oh man. I completely failed to consider we'd get more Orange ham to go with all the Lelouch ham.

Look who didn't memorize the name Jeremiah Gottwald

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how absurd the mecha power levels will get. I mean the Guren Seiten and the Lancelot Albion were loving insane beam-winged monstrosities and I presume the rules of mecha anime means they're both going to get some sort of upgraded variant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how absurd the mecha power levels will get. I mean the Guren Seiten and the Lancelot Albion were loving insane beam-winged monstrosities and I presume the rules of mecha anime means they're both going to get some sort of upgraded variant.

I'd love it so much if they went back to the early gen Knightmare Frames.

They might be some of the raddest grunt mechs in any series I've seen.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Worst part about Geass as a mecha fan is that everything just devolved into flying & laserbeams.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KoB posted:

Worst part about Geass as a mecha fan is that everything just devolved into flying & laserbeams.

I gave up taking the show seriously when they basically said Mt. Fuji is filled with magical uranium. And that was what? The first third of season 1?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If episode 1 is Lelouche blowing up all the magic uranium so that knightmare technology reverts significantly back to when they were cooler then the show will be off to a great start.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Code Geass makes much more internal sense when you understand that this is an alternate Mazinger Z where someone else discovered Japanium first.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
did anyone even watch the geass ovas, what were they even about aside from skintight fanservice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tae posted:

did anyone even watch the geass ovas, what were they even about aside from skintight fanservice.

Perhaps the same could be said of Code Geass itself...

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Tae posted:

Outside of the amazing skintight fanservice, they were mostly about showing differnt kinds of Geass shenanigans in the EU, and glimpses of what might have gone on between Code Geass Seasons with Lelouch and Suzaku.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They introduce a completely unexplained evil talking skull.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 30, 2016

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rodyle posted:

The introduce a completely unexplained evil talking skull.

And they show that Europe had Japanese internment camps just to not piss off Britannia too much despite fighting a war against them on the Eurasian front?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I can't help but wonder if the skull is, somehow, important... We know that the Geass power can be granted to someone through contract to someone with a Code, but perhaps there is something about the Code we don't know.

Shin's power seems to be harder to control in some ways, or he is so mentally damaged that he can't HELP but use it.

It does seem to be an interesting divergence, though. Rolo's Geass allowed him to halt the perceptions of others at the cost of causing his heart to stop. Charles could control a person's memories (though it seems there are limits based on will). Lelouch could cause someone to obey any single order he gave them to the best of their ability unless it was completely impossible (and what does THAT say that the only Japanese person Euphy could resist killing was Suzaku?). Marianne could project her mind into someone else's body. C.C.'s Geass compelled people to love her.

But Shin's causes the people who love him to kill themselves or others. And it seems to be FLEXIBLE.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 30, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

KoB posted:

The last fight between Kallen and Suzaku was pretty cool since it came down to them scooting around like s1.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

The last fight between Kallen and Suzaku was pretty cool since it came down to them scooting around like s1.

It was also cool because it showed Kallen was better than the guy with a curse to survive who knows how to exploit it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

It was also cool because it showed Kallen was better than the guy with a curse to survive who knows how to exploit it.

The fight was pretty careful to keep it clear that both of them were basically exactly on par with one another. The Guren was slightly higher spec, Suzaku was unable to overcome that even with his Geass, and the end of the fight came down to a hair breath.

I actually really thought it was a smart idea for how to make them fight to the death despite Suzaku having a Plan. Suzaku's Live geass means he literally can't throw a fight.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TheKingofSprings posted:

LELOUCH IS ALIVE MOTHERFUCKERS

LELOUCH IS ALIVE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
of course watch this be the middle finger of the same monkey's paw that gave us Berserk 2016 and Sailor Moon Crystal

... and watch me ignore the warnings and use the thumb and pinky for The Big O season 3 and a Battle Angel Alita adaptation

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Monaghan posted:

Every fight involving Kallen and the Guren was great. Kallen herself owns, and any mech that has a Shining Finger owns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

of course watch this be the middle finger of the same monkey's paw that gave us Berserk 2016 and Sailor Moon Crystal

... and watch me ignore the warnings and use the thumb and pinky for The Big O season 3 and a Battle Angel Alita adaptation
The big plot twist will be that Code Geass Season 3 is also The Big O season 3.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Raxivace posted:

Fund the gently caress out of that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Oh so it was LELOUCH under the bandages

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

Oh so it was LELOUCH under the bandages

Schwarzwald is a maddened Lelouch in a world where Paradigm City was created as a step in Charles's instrumentality plan. The Megadeuses were actually tenth generation Knightmare frames.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

Schwarzwald is a maddened Lelouch in a world where Paradigm City was created as a step in Charles's instrumentality plan. The Megadeuses were actually tenth generation Knightmare frames.

Replace all the tomatoes with oranges, and you might be on to something.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pretty sure those were used for FLCL 2 & 3 and Panty and Stocking 2.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Not going to lie, I still get a little salty every so often when I remember we'll never get a Scanty & Kneesocks with Garterbelt and Briefs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Where's the one for Haruhi on the 18th?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Schubalts posted:

Every fight involving Kallen and the Guren was great. Kallen herself owns, and any mech that has a Shining Finger owns.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Where's the one for Haruhi on the 18th?

I'm lost, is there a new Haruhi season coming as well?