Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

elbow posted:

Not sure if you ended up settling on any of the recommendations given, but she might like Revival. I've only read the first trade but really enjoyed it.

I'm on the second trade right now. My biggest criticism is that the author relies a bit too heavily on subtext and unspoken revelations by the characters, making figuring out certain occurrences difficult until the characters explain it to each other.

There's also a few too many silly "Eyes closed and yelling" faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Only just started reading comics, picked up a few random things that seemed cool:

Adventure Time, issue 4, october 2016 - I like the self-contained stories and the variety of art (guest artists?), plus all the stories in this issue are clever without being objoxious and are very funny

Squirrrel Girl 11, october 2016 - great humor, lots of tiny jokes in the margins like an old Mad magazine or something, cool art style too

Descender 15, sept 2016 - really pretty art and an interesting story, but I get the feeling that most issues of this arent as self-contained and I dont want to have to buy an issue every week for a year to see a full story, because the cost goes up and I dont even watch tv anymore, longform serials become more like chores to me.

Howard the Duck 10, oct 2016 - liked the humor and characters, vaguely remembered that mojo guy from the spiderman or xmen cartoon from the 90's, decent enough art, but again got the feeling it was much more than a short run (at least 11 issues in this run, right?)
It's more fun to see stuff like Aunt May hanging around with a robot cat without knowing wtf is going on and just rolling with the absurdity and not caring about every iota of backstory

Faster than Light 10, sept 2016 - cool art, this issue was like a cliffhanger season ending episode of star trek, I'm curious if it's worth reading more before or after this issue

Batman '66, #5, jan 2017 - pretty good art and humor, did seem pretty similar to the old show, but I dont feel the need to buy the next issue

Tank Girl gold, #1, 2016 - theres a lot of talk about previous event continuity which I dont like, but the art and humor are pretty cool, and I liked the tank girl movie, are there some of her issues I'd prefer?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you don't enjoy the serial format you may be better off sticking to collected editions.

For Howard the Duck, yes there was a previous (very short, just 5 or 6 issues long) volume under the same team. #11 of the current volume will be the last issue of this run.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

got any sevens posted:

Adventure Time, issue 4, october 2016 - I like the self-contained stories and the variety of art (guest artists?), plus all the stories in this issue are clever without being objoxious and are very funny

I'm not a huge Adventure Time fan (though I've liked what I've read of the comics), but I would recommend that you check out Marceline and the Scream Queens. Marceline and her band go on the road, Princess Bubblegum goes along, puns are made, friendship is explored. Meredith Gran writes and draws and I just adore her work.

She also does a webcomic about a bunch of hipsters in Brooklyn called Octopus Pie that sounds awful when I say it like that, but is actually really great. There's a bunch of collections out, but you can just read it for free online.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

irlZaphod posted:

If you don't enjoy the serial format you may be better off sticking to collected editions.

For Howard the Duck, yes there was a previous (very short, just 5 or 6 issues long) volume under the same team. #11 of the current volume will be the last issue of this run.

What do you mean by collected editions, and which ones should I look for?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

got any sevens posted:

Collected editions are thicker books where 5+ issues of a comic are 'collected' into one book.

They usually come out a few months after the individual issues do.

Theyre cheaper than buying the individual issues

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Things I've enjoyed lately:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

What else should I read in that vein? I briefly read some squirrel girl and that was maybe too tongue in cheek for me but I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Bubble-T posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

What else should I read in that vein? I briefly read some squirrel girl and that was maybe too tongue in cheek for me but I'd be willing to give it another shot.

Do you like Tranformers?

Because Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye is a must read series. Charming, funny and heart breaking. Its Arrested Development meets Star Trek.

It has one lead-in mini series to read, Last Stand of the Wreckers, and then jump right into the ongoing series.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bubble-T posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

The recent Mockingbird series?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

got any sevens posted:

As Veg said, they're just collections of the single issues - like a season box set of a tv show. Virtually everything which is released as a single issue will be collected in a paperback and/or hardback, which would usually contain at least 5 of the singles. So you can get a whole story arc in one go. It might not be the whole story for a continuing series, but it would typically be a complete story in itself from start to finish.

As an example, here's the first collection of Descender, which has issues #1-6:
https://www.amazon.com/Descender-Vol-1-Tin-Stars/dp/1632154269/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480499223&sr=8-1&keywords=descender

You can buy them physically in stores, or even buy a digital version of the collection on Comixology for example. So if you wanted to catch up on Descender, you could grab the first 2 collections, which would get you up to #11.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bubble-T posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

If you like Patsy you might like the book the same creative team is doing over at boom called Goldie Vance

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The recent Mockingbird series?

Oh yeah, I have read and enjoyed that one too :)

Veg posted:

Do you like Tranformers?

Because Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye is a must read series. Charming, funny and heart breaking. Its Arrested Development meets Star Trek.

It has one lead-in mini series to read, Last Stand of the Wreckers, and then jump right into the ongoing series.

site posted:

If you like Patsy you might like the book the same creative team is doing over at boom called Goldie Vance

Thanks, I'll try those.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Spider Woman is really good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bubble-T posted:

Patsy Walker aka Hellcat
Power Man and Iron Fist
Ms Marvel

Howard The Duck or the most recent iteration of New Avengers might scratch that itch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So I've been playing a lot of shadowrun and syndicate and i watched ghost in the shell for the first time the other night and deus ex is one of my favorite franchises ever (i did read the prequel comic series to deus ex 4) and I'm wondering if there are any good stories in comic form dealing with future tech worlds and transhumanism and such

(If possible i would like to stay away from stuff that mixes in fantasy/magic like shadowrun does and just be tech only)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Prez would count in it's own way.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Transmetropolitan is the easy answer.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Transmetropolitan is the easy answer.

It is! I'd also say Planetary, even though it's set in the present. Lots of out there future tech comes into play, including an awe inspiring story near the end of the run.
When the "angels" go scope out the generation arc in space.

Here's a bunch of future tech comics that I like. They are of various tones and genres.

O Human Star, AI researcher awakens in a robot body in the future and is trying to figure out what is happening (really relationship heavy). You can read it for free on the web.

Dicebox, two women travel the solar system as migrant workers. Also relationship heavy and the society has a much more holistic feel to it than the typical sterile tech future of most sci-fi. You can read it for free on the web.

Finder, similar to Dicebox in tone (though it came first, so I guess Dicebox is similar to Finder). Follows an aboriginal man as he goes from dense futuristic cities and sparse wide open natural lands and explores how the different societies live their lives.

Pluto, retelling of an Astro Boy story by a manga master. Lots of robots.

Old City Blues, a manga inspired cop drama. You can pick up digital issues online for free.

100%, a romance story about bartenders, dancers, and artists living in a futuristic NYC.

OMAC, basically Captain America in the future. I've only read Kirby's run, but I think at least one of the others is pretty decent.

Fantastic Four by Hickman, a superhero comic, but definitely focused on future tech. And families, especially fatherhood. (I haven't finished reading the run myself, but I'd probably throw his Avengers run in here, too.) (He also wrote a book called Transhuman, but, contrary to my usual instincts of loving Hickman's work, can't recommend.)

Godland, a tribute to Kirby comics from Joe Casey and Tom Scioli. Highly recommended if you're into Kirby, Fantastic Four, etc.

Flourescent Black, about society in Southeast Asia after gene editing becomes popular.

Sky Doll, an Italian sci-fi religious comic about sex dolls. Probably NSFW (though there's no hardcore sex or the like).

Prophet, the reboot, about an upcoming galactic war full of Earth soldier clones in the far, far future. So far in the future that almost nothing is recognizable.

Tokyo Ghost, about a future where most people are addicted to media/entertainment/VR (very subtle commentary, right there). Mainly it's just a vehicle for some good old utraviolence.

Fear Agent, a comic about the human race surviving after an alien invasion. More pulpy than hardcore sci-fi, but by the same writer as Tokyo Ghost and a bit better, so I feel I should include it.

Hard Boiled, another ultraviolent comic about contract killers with hyper-detailed artistry. Don't want to spoil anything, but it hits a few of your interests.

Supergod, not sure if this qualifies, but it's about a human arms race to create the most advanced godlike beings. It's pretty bleak and has a lot of religious overtones and it's from Avatar Press, but I like this one. Definitely fits the crazy out there future tech theme.

Dunno why this popped into my head, but have you played The Swapper? It's a platformer that subtly explores consciousness.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 1, 2016

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I enjoyed Last Days of an Immortal , which is far future semi utopia.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. Does anyone know if they ever made any gits comics? I see there's a lot of manga but tbh the black and white gives me a literal headache sometimes and I'd rather avoid it

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you need colour in your dystopian manga, Marvel coloured-in Akira in the late 80's-early-90's. You might be able to find that somewhere.
http://comicvine.gamespot.com/akira/4050-4041/?sortBy=asc

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 2, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Looking for a gift for a five year old. I'm guessing the Super Mario Adventures book would be a bit too advanced? I mean, his parents will have to read it to him, but will he grasp the story? Seem to be aimed at the 8-12 range.

Super Mario Adventures https://www.amazon.com/dp/1421588641/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_aUjsybEJ2TBQW

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of the jokes rely on understanding the world the mario brothers inhabit so if he isn't particularly familiar with the concept of mario to begin with he might not enjoy it as much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not sure how deep his SMB knowledge goes. Is there a Zelda equivalent? His cousins have started him on that franchise real early.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a link to the past comic in a similar style but it's more serious in tone.

There's a cute Wind Waker manga that's just a series of short gags but I don't think that was ever officially translated.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Akira Himekawa's Legend of Zelda manga series is kid-friendly and recommended. Hops from game to game, but still easy to read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Mario comic is still a pretty safe bet, by the way. I didn't mean to make it sound like you need to read Mario.wikia regularly to enjoy it, you just need to have played like, one mario.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, doesn't seem like he's too into Mario (I need to fix this) and the Zelda books are all a little too advanced for him (for now). Maybe in a couple of years.

He's into Batman and Spider-Man, so I'll just get one of the many kid friendly superhero books. Probably this:

Batman's Dark Secret https://www.amazon.com/dp/054586755X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pFCsybGVXH68J

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
What is the best thing Alan Moore wrote while churning away at Avatar?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I like his bit in Cinema Purgatorio right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The true question is can something from Avatar be described as a "best" in other way except comparatively against other Avatar books?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

The true question is can something from Avatar be described as a "best" in other way except comparatively against other Avatar books?

Crecy is the best comic book about the battle of Crecy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A couple people in the Indie thread seem to genuinely like Uber.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By the way, I criticized Revival earlier but it's honestly gotten much better as it goes on. After the second volume, the writer starts dropping the somewhat overly vague writing and the story becomes much easier to understand from that point. It goes to some pretty loving dark places, like what happens when the BDSM/self-harm fetish community gets a Reviver in it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like Uber.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

chitoryu12 posted:

By the way, I criticized Revival earlier but it's honestly gotten much better as it goes on. After the second volume, the writer starts dropping the somewhat overly vague writing and the story becomes much easier to understand from that point. It goes to some pretty loving dark places, like what happens when the BDSM/self-harm fetish community gets a Reviver in it.

Revival is fantastic. Probably my favorite zombie related thing ever. Mostly because it's not like any other zombie thing at all. Plus I love that Mike Norton art.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

redbackground posted:

What is the best thing Alan Moore wrote while churning away at Avatar?

I haven't read purgatorio but Crossed 100 was pretty good. Supposedly Providence is supposed to be very solid.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

X-O posted:

I really liked Supergod to my complete shock.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I like Providence a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

What are some good Tintin books to start with? A friend said he liked Hergé's art style so I thought I'd get him one or two for Christmas.