Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

CharlestonJew posted:

Unless you were going for a Savior run the time limit posed little threat to you, people are just babies. And now they've taken out the closest thing resembling a challenge in these games.

Some of the psychopaths were pretty hard if you don't cheese the games but yeah the time limits made the game neat. It was always fun to get kind of far and level up but restart to see how much better you do next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kaincypher posted:

So I'm the only one thinking Saint's Row with zombies sounds like a lot of fun? The timers were pretty lenient in 3, but if you're gonna give me an open world, just let me run around and murder kill hundreds of zombies while exploring nooks and crannies looking for easter eggs and hidden blueprints.

See, here's the thing. If I want Saints Row with zombies, I have a lot of other options to play. Including Saints Row 3 which has zombies in it. Saints Row with zombies isn't an inherently bad thing, what is a bad thing is that something unique that only a tiny handful of games do is being removed because people are big babies about the most lenient timer in existence, who probably won't even buy Dead Rising 4 when it comes out anyway.

I legit wouldn't even be as annoyed if they had a sandbox and hardcore mode, where sandbox is Dead Rising 4 as it currently is and hardcore is like Dead Rising 1 and 2 with the timer, but that hasn't happened. Capcom instead have decided to alienate the existing fanbase in the hopes they'll attract people who have criticized the series before because it wasn't what they expected the game to be like and I'm not entirely convinced this strategy will pay off for them. Then of course, I also feel as though Dead Rising 4 is completely unnecessary as Dead Rising 3 wrapped things up really well anyway.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cool there's a Dead Rising thread, was wondering where I could post this interview.

“We need to make changes so that there can be a Dead Rising 5, 6 and 7” Capcom Vancouver discuss fan fury, Black Friday consumerism and why triple-A studios should support indies

quote:

"We had three writers on this project, and that's three times as many as we've ever had before," he tells us whilst showing us the game at a recreated living room in London.

"We're talking proper video game writers that knew exactly how to weave the story. Our lead writer worked on the most recent Deus Ex.

"I don't want to speak ill of anyone, but the writer we've had in the past was someone who had done some creative writing, was working at Capcom and wrote us a story. This time we got a proper video game designer/writer. Anyone, theoretically, can write a story, but writing a story that makes sense and that you can play, that's a real skill. Right down to getting behind why these characters are doing this, why would that guy snap and wear that stupid costume? Those are the sorts of questions we're asking. 90 percent of the consumers who play this game, they don't think as much as we do about these things, but for the 10 percent that do want that depth, we've got it."

"The message behind the game is around consumerism and Black Friday, and we're asking: who is the monster? The zombies running around or is it what caused everyone to fight each other and demand these products and services? I often say this is not the thinking man's game, but there are some messages in there that might make you think a little bit more than usual."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Ouch, cheap shot at Annie Reid.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Why are these clowns acting like this is anything new? This is literally what DR1 did except it didn't try to beat you over the head with it.

quote:

Those are the sorts of questions we're asking. 90 percent of the consumers who play this game, they don't think as much as we do about these things, but for the 10 percent that do want that depth, we've got it."

Yea focus on the tiny minority that has an existential crisis over loving Dead Rising.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 30, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
that entire article makes this guy sound like a loving clown

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I genuinely have no loving idea who wants to know the psychology behind Frank West wearing a servbot head.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Why are these clowns acting like this is anything new? This is literally what DR1 did except it didn't try to beat you over the head with it.

Hell, its basically what Dawn of the Dead did. But I don't mind them changing the game up as long as what they change it too is good. I don't have high hopes though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So they're just actually doing what Dead Rising 1 was claimed to have done and actually aping Romero's Dawn of the Dead now? I don't even get why they're saying what they're saying. The other games weren't very well written, sure, but it's baffling that this guy didn't think there was some kind of social commentary about them. Dead Rising 1 was about the exploitative meat industry and how we don't give a poo poo about where what we eat come from or the conditions both the animals and meat workers were in, all we care about is food and then did a hamfisted analogy to zombies doing what humans were doing all along. Dead Rising 2 was commentary on American health care and how exploitative pharmaceutical companies will be just to make a quick buck on the suffering of others, that's why money itself was such a major motif in Dead Rising 2. Dead Rising 3's commentary was slightly more subtle but was mostly commentary on immigration, especially in California and how human beings are treated as "the other" for the most superficial of reasons and the warning that someone ruled by prejudices against "the other" could come into great power with General Hemlock's character. Which is kind of ironic considering Trump will be president now I suppose.

I apologize for going full SMG here. Point is, the previous games weren't well written, but the commentary was still there and was actually a fair bit different than the social commentary most other zombie works use. So the developers acting like Dead Rising 4 is super smart when it looks just as heavy handed and is using commentary we've already seen from the guy who invented the zombie craze is bizarre.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

See, here's the thing. If I want Saints Row with zombies, I have a lot of other options to play. Including Saints Row 3 which has zombies in it. Saints Row with zombies isn't an inherently bad thing, what is a bad thing is that something unique that only a tiny handful of games do is being removed because people are big babies about the most lenient timer in existence, who probably won't even buy Dead Rising 4 when it comes out anyway.

I legit wouldn't even be as annoyed if they had a sandbox and hardcore mode, where sandbox is Dead Rising 4 as it currently is and hardcore is like Dead Rising 1 and 2 with the timer, but that hasn't happened. Capcom instead have decided to alienate the existing fanbase in the hopes they'll attract people who have criticized the series before because it wasn't what they expected the game to be like and I'm not entirely convinced this strategy will pay off for them. Then of course, I also feel as though Dead Rising 4 is completely unnecessary as Dead Rising 3 wrapped things up really well anyway.

I've always wondered how hard it would be to add simple mods to games like this to appeal to a bigger base. I get that Dead Rising (and now XCOM2) are known for the timer mechanic, Dark Souls is known for punishing difficulty, Git Gud, etc. Would it really be so hard to make everyone happy by giving them options for an easy mode or timer-less mode? Tons of games have Ironman, Hardcore mode, NG+, 4 different difficulty levels, etc. You'd think it would be standard on any game with such obviously divisive mechanics.

You'd open your market from exclusively niche hardcore purists to the filthy casuals, of which there are a lot. Many gamers like myself are older now and have jobs/kids/etc. I can't dump endless hours to grind for days or memorize every enemy location on a given map. More options=Bigger market=more sales, and older gamers generally have more disposable income to boot. Kinda seems like a no-brainer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

I've always wondered how hard it would be to add simple mods to games like this to appeal to a bigger base. I get that Dead Rising (and now XCOM2) are known for the timer mechanic, Dark Souls is known for punishing difficulty, Git Gud, etc. Would it really be so hard to make everyone happy by giving them options for an easy mode or timer-less mode? Tons of games have Ironman, Hardcore mode, NG+, 4 different difficulty levels, etc. You'd think it would be standard on any game with such obviously divisive mechanics.

You'd open your market from exclusively niche hardcore purists to the filthy casuals, of which there are a lot. Many gamers like myself are older now and have jobs/kids/etc. I can't dump endless hours to grind for days or memorize every enemy location on a given map. More options=Bigger market=more sales, and older gamers generally have more disposable income to boot. Kinda seems like a no-brainer.

The major issue with adding these modes is that the timer element is a core part of the game design. There are people willing to accept games that are easy because they cut out content but there are also people who get genuinely upset that things 'don't work right' because they're designed around mechanics they chose to ignore. It's possible to do but like X-COM with no timer is something that has a lot of mechanics that just make no sense without them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Don't look to deeply into the ramblings of someone who quotes Steve Jobs while making GBS threads on consumerism.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Kaincypher posted:

You run the risk of spending money on adding modes that people probably won't play.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Finally, a piece of zombie media that ties both zombies and consumerism together!!! Makes you think.

The only thing I got out of that interview is that the time limit reappears near the end of the game, so at least it'll almost assuredly have multiple endings. I thought they had gotten rid of those too.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

You run the risk of spending money on adding modes that people probably won't play.

seems like a small risk versus a high reward, depending on how much coding you'd need to make the changes. As I mentioned, purists will ignore the easier/timeless modes sure, but as I said, there's a lot of casuals who don't have the time necessary to become a Dark Souls Savant, memorize the optimum path to get every survivor for Dead Rising 1, or even just people who suck at games and aren't going to buy games that punish them. Easier modes often are just same enemies with weaker attack/HP values. Removing a timer would be even easier, although point taken that it could mess things up based on how core of a mechanic it is. Which, for a game who's core mechanic should be centered around funny costumes and new and inventive ways of killing zombies, maybe they shouldn't make the timer so central to the process. For Dead Rising 3 at least, they would fast-forward your timer based on how quickly you accomplished your objectives, I can't imagine that the reverse couldn't be done as well (stall the clock until XYZ mission was completed, etc.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kaincypher posted:

maybe they shouldn't make the timer so central to the process.

That isn't really a reasonable way to do it, because in doing so you limit what designers can do, and especially for something like a time limit it *needs* to be fairly central to have any impact at all. Something like Majora's Mask (to use a game in the same vein as DR) would not work without a central time limit.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

It's really a question of dueling designs. You can't have the game go both ways and give them both the space they deserve. If you start from a sandbox and add time trials later, you basically have to design the game twice; if you start from time trials and then remove the time, you've probably also removed most of the challenge and momentum your game had.

The idea I had a while back was a "Real Time Mode" for a DR/DR2-style game, where every minute that passes in-game is a real-world minute, and you have the ability to go take a nap in the safe room to speed things up, the way you can in Fallout 3. Everything is just about the same, but if you wanted, you'd have seventy-two actual hours to dick around before the timer expired.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think it's that people hate the idea of Saint's Row with zombies but that it sucks that it seemingly means killing off the unique and cool gameplay of the first two games. Personally I really don't get why people just have an instinctual revulsion to the idea of time limits. You were always able to just dick around and kill zombies and explore while ignoring time because the only stuff that matters carries over to a new game anyway. And the time limit of 3 might as well have not existed. I'm pretty sure I reached max level and explored almost everything and just spent most of the time dicking around and still had days left over by the end. It kinda reminds me of how a lot of people get freaked out by the time limit in Fallout 1 when it's basically impossible to realistically reach it.

You know, I like the idea of combo weapons, but I hate how they make anything that's not them worthless. Half the fun of DR1 was using everyday household items in a pinch, like a tv, or a lipstick display model. In DR2 and OTR though anything like that does barely anything at all most of the time.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 30, 2016

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Every game should just go down the DO4M route of having the protagonist get annoyed and crack his knuckles every time a cutscene drags on longer than 10 seconds or so, and irreparably smash something to shut people up if it lasts longer than 15.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Canadian video game developers need to be dealt with, quickly and very violently

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/joe-nickolls-231243

The only nonsports game he's ever worked on was Simpsons Hit and Run

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
uhhhhhh... I didn't see this posted, but this is pretty damning to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeIT0MBSac

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm a little confused as to why a seemingly fresh dev is working on DR4, I can only assume Capcom has little faith in the franchise anymore.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

I'm a little confused as to why a seemingly fresh dev is working on DR4, I can only assume Capcom has little faith in the franchise anymore.

A) He's not a "fresh dev." He's been a producer since 1998.

B) "Producer" in the video game industry means "office manager." You coordinate teams, keep things moving, form a line of useful communication between workers and management, and make sure everyone's on the same page. He's someone you'd want to have talking about the game to the press, because he'd know everything about it due to being in a central position, but he's not primarily responsible for creative decisions. He was probably in the room when they were made and he'd probably have something to say about how realistic a given idea actually is, but he's not the director, writer, or lead programmer.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Yeah gently caress these canucks

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Wanderer posted:

B) "Producer" in the video game industry means "office manager." You coordinate teams, keep things moving, form a line of useful communication between workers and management, and make sure everyone's on the same page. He's someone you'd want to have talking about the game to the press, because he'd know everything about it due to being in a central position, but he's not primarily responsible for creative decisions. He was probably in the room when they were made and he'd probably have something to say about how realistic a given idea actually is, but he's not the director, writer, or lead programmer.

The bearded moron is the director

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was really looking forward to a new Dead Rising too :(

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'll forever deeply hate The Walking Dead for making this gay "are the zombies the real monsters... or are we???" meme popular. It's also just a bad show on its own too, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

The bearded moron is the director

I'm still talking about Nickolls, then. He's not "fresh" by any measure. He's coming up on 20 years as a developer, and dudes go back and forth from director to producer all the time.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wanderer posted:

I mean more in the sense that he doesn't seem to have experience with the genre than DR4 is, for the most part it seems the games he worked on had no narrative to them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'll forever deeply hate The Walking Dead for making this gay "are the zombies the real monsters... or are we???" meme popular. It's also just a bad show on its own too, though.

that's not even a meme or walking dead's fault it's the exact underlying message of the past fifty years of zombie fiction, which makes this guy acting like it's an original concept even more insane

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

that's not even a meme or walking dead's fault it's the exact underlying message of the past fifty years of zombie fiction, which makes this guy acting like it's an original concept even more insane

Yeah, I can't think of any decent zombie fiction where other humans weren't at least as dangerous to the protagonists. That goes all the way back to the original Night of the Living Dead.

You might maybe make an argument for Zombieland.

Alteisen posted:

I mean more in the sense that he doesn't seem to have experience with the genre than DR4 is, for the most part it seems the games he worked on had no narrative to them.

He's not the narrative designer. That's a separate position.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
part of it is just the design of zombies, even if you're not talking about the sneering contempt for consumerism the way the original romero zombies were, the vast majority of zombie designs have zombies being:

1) stupid
2) slow
3) clumsy

humans overcame worse threats than that when we were hunter gatherers conquering the savannah. if you wanted to focus on the zombie threat in the walking dude the story would go a little like this:

so everything died and society fell over. me and a couple of my buddies managed to hole up in a big house/warehouse/whatever. the deadheads are pretty scary. write more tomorrow.

so steve found a couple of brooms, some steak knives, and some duct tape when dicking around. i yanked the broomheads off and taped the knives to the end. doesn't look like much but it gives me a good 2 feet of reach advantage over a deadhead, so that's pretty good.

we got chased out of the safehouse today. horde of deadheads showed up, but they're not exactly stealthy so we just grabbed our backpacks and jogged away. i brought my knife-spear. gonna look for a place with a decent fence. i've got an idea.

so we found a place with a decent chain-link fence today, and moved in. fence is about 6 feet tall, which is all the more we need, honestly. gonna organize shifts of us patrolling the fence and stabbing any deadheads that come too close. as long as we stay on top of it there shouldn't ever be more than a couple on the fence at once, which it should be able to handle.

so this is basically working. there was a little hitch in that we need to organize corpse-removal from the fence line and kick them a good 5-6 feet back to keep the bodies from piling up, and night can sometimes get weird with how dark the new moon is now, but all in all it's working. the deadheads shamble up to our fence, get all caught up and crap, and then it's easy to just stab them through the chain link. steve's working on whittling down a bunch of wooden poles that we can harden in a campfire as some more renewable spears. they're ugly as poo poo but whatever, they bust up a deadhead.

fewer deadheads today. at first i was a little surprised, but i guess it makes sense the more i think about it. the fence line stinks to high hell with the bodies that we haven't properly burned yet, but the sheer numbers say that the 4 of us have killed like 100 deadheads at this point. we can't be the only people out there who have figured out that spears work, so that's how many fours killing how many hundreds at this point? sure, there were thousands of people living in this town before it all went to hell, but the numbers are what they are. even if we all died right now, the net effect is still way fewer zombies shambling around.

haven't seen any zombies for two days. we've been scavenging a little bit to keep our bellies full, but with how much safer it is now we're going out tomorrow to cast our net a bit wider - maybe run into other hold-outs and see if folks have figured out society again.

found a couple other survivor enclaves deeper into the city while we were out looking for gas. we were basically right, it seems. lots of people died before they knew what was going on, but the ones that survived for a few days figured out pretty quick that all you needed was some kind of net and a spear to kill approximately infinity zombies. there's already what amounts to a wild west border town society operating out of a hotel off the interstate, and they let us in to look around at their operation today. they've got some basic farms and other simple stuff up, and they're 'hiring' for extra hands to make sure everyone stays fed. we told 'em we'd think about it since i'm not sure how much i trust anyone right now, but assuming they're as legit as they seem, we'll probably go down and get jobs helping out in return for warmer beds and access to their doctor. i don't even want to think about what would happen right now if someone broke their leg.

fade to black, ~fin~

you're not exactly becoming an HBO miniseries with that arc.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 30, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Actually now that I think about it, Dawn of the Dead was goofy as all hell too. The poor zombies were getting mocked pretty badly and having pies thrown in their faces and all other kinds of antics that Frank/Chuck/Nick do to the zombies in Dead Rising. So Dead Rising 4 is even more of a glaring ripoff of that movie.

Also Day of the Dead is the best Romero zombie movie. I'd love a Dead Rising game from the perspective of a military grunt sent in to control the situation and having to make moral choices about survivors whilst trying to placate your batshit insane CO as your supplies dwindle constantly. Maybe even have access to multiple safehouses and outposts at the start but as time goes on and the city becomes more overrun and closer to being firebombed, you struggle to keep safehouses supplied and stocked with equipment whilst you uncover the mandatory Dead Rising conspiracy and have psychopaths being Frank West idolizers who assume you're covering up the truth because you're a military grunt.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 30, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alteisen posted:

Capcom Vancouver is the Dead Rising studio and they make the games with whoever's there - maybe they're veterans, maybe they're new hires, you just have to play the hand you've been dealt.

That's the problem that big publishers (and Japanese ones in particular) often fall into when they buy western studios: they acquire the studio based on a few talented individuals, those people quit, the studio suddenly becomes a burden to manage and they either get shut down or get stuck doing grunt work for other studios for a while and then get shut down.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Man, I was excited but it's a good thing all this new stuff has come out. Hey maybe in 6 years we'll get a proper Dead Rising game and not just another 3rd person sandbox game, but with Zombies.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Dead Rising 3 worth a play?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Dead Rising 3 worth a play?

It's much better than I expected, still the weakest in the series imo. Nightmare (classic mode) is the most challenging and the longest DR and I don't want a sandbox so I'll probably never finish it but it was really fun to explore. Buy it on holiday sale for 15 or 20, definitely

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Dead Rising to me isn't a perfect game and I won't say that all its imperfections add to its charm but it's one of my favorite games of all time. The length is perfect (on the short side but very replayable), it's full of surprises, it has separate goals for finishing the story/getting a high score or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah it's worthwhile if you get it cheap and just wanna dick around and slaughter tons of zombies. It lacks a lot of what makes the series unique and the protagonist is an annoying limpdick but it's still fun to tape a minivan and moped together to create a monster tank straight outta Mad Max and then just go to town.

• Locked thread