Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

anthonypants posted:

depends on if your backplane and raid controller support sata, but they generally don't give a gently caress for non-oem drives
They for sure do, as the current drives loaded are SATA's. What I'll probably do is buy a set and see if the controller will let me use them. If so I'll buy the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

netwerk23 posted:

They for sure do, as the current drives loaded are SATA's.
then yeah, you're good. it might complain during POST or something, like if you don't have HP SmartMemory, but it'll still work fine

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
can any windows server CJs help me with a weird thing

we're running KMS on 2008 R2, and clients are failing to activate, stating "no KMS service could be contacted"

i got a pcap from an affected client that shows two-way communication between the client and the server, so it doesn't seem to be a network issue

enabling the three WMI firewall rules necessary for communication between subnets didn't do anything, and the clients can ping the KMS server, telnet to 1688 and everything but activate

have also tried sysprepping and rearming an affected client VM to no avail

thoughts? i'm out of ideas

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

abraham linkedin posted:

we're running KMS on 2008 R2, and clients are failing to activate, stating "no KMS service could be contacted"

i got a pcap from an affected client that shows two-way communication between the client and the server, so it doesn't seem to be a network issue

enabling the three WMI firewall rules necessary for communication between subnets didn't do anything, and the clients can ping the KMS server, telnet to 1688 and everything but activate

is it that all clients can't activate, or that some can and others can't

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

is it that all clients can't activate, or that some can and others can't

every client we've tried can't activate, but KMS has a current count of 10 so some clients at some point were able to reach KMS

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I admit to not having my experience with KMS, but is it possible you haven't reached the 25-count limit yet?

From https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx "None of these computers is activated, because computers running Windows 7 must receive an activation count ≥25 to be activated. "

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

netwerk23 posted:

I have a HP DL380P gen8 with 16 2.5" bays, half full of 1TB SATA OEM drives (656108's). I'd like to fill the rest with 2TB drives but the only ones that HPE sells are SAS ones at $450 each. Has anyone here tried buying off the shelf 2TB drives and chinese clone drive sleds? I don't need SAS speeds at 4X the price. I did this once on an old StorageWorks x1600 with LFF drives and it worked fine but this 380 is newer and I worry about the controller card refusing non-OEM drives.

Edit: something like this and maybe this?

Are you sure they aren't just being labeled as NL-SAS? Those aren't really SAS drives, just higher quality SATA so they gave them a stupid name.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

abraham linkedin posted:

cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /dlv on both the KMS host and attached clients should give you some good detail to figure out what is going on and what is or is not talking.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

netwerk23 posted:

I admit to not having my experience with KMS, but is it possible you haven't reached the 25-count limit yet?

From https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793434.aspx "None of these computers is activated, because computers running Windows 7 must receive an activation count ≥25 to be activated. "

if you don't hit the count requirement it'll error with something else

thankfully we do have MSDN so i'll be talking to MS about this soon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abraham linkedin posted:

you need count of 25

also what client OS are you trying to activate

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
^

also, make sure your clients are actually using the generic kms activation keys necessary for that OS

and that the kms server has the correct kms server key in place. is this a new kms server or did it suddenly stop working?

quote:

cscript.exe slmgr.vbs /dlv on both the KMS host and attached clients should give you some good detail to figure out what is going on and what is or is not talking.

this too. post the script results here if you can. given that there are some successful activations I'm assuming the SRV record is in place for DNS.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 28, 2016

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

hi yospos websites keep forcing me to their canadian versions
like, if i go to newegg it gives me a helpful suggestion that i might need the canadia version but something like adultswim.com i get a 302 and it throws me to adultswim.ca
checking my IP for location is accurate, and going to something like watch.cbc.ca i get blocked since im not in canada
im in california on Frontier

what do?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shaman Linavi posted:

hi yospos websites keep forcing me to their canadian versions
like, if i go to newegg it gives me a helpful suggestion that i might need the canadia version but something like adultswim.com i get a 302 and it throws me to adultswim.ca
checking my IP for location is accurate, and going to something like watch.cbc.ca i get blocked since im not in canada
im in california on Frontier

what do?
what os
what browser
what dns servers are you using

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

anthonypants posted:

what os
what browser
what dns servers are you using

happens on win10, win7, and also on my iphone (when on wifi)
it does it in ios safari, chrome, edge, IE, and firefox
im using the OpenDNS servers and while typing this switched to the frontier dns servers and it still does it

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
did u mess up and use a vpn or proxy by accident

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
what location and ISP does http://whatismyip.com show
does the IP address match the public IP on your router

if the isp and the IP and the location match and it says you're in Canada then you're probably hosed and you gotta submit a fix at https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request and https://support.google.com/websearch/contact/ip and who the gently caress knows who else

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

location is california and isp is Frontier
the IP matches the public IP on my router
and i guess not all sites redirect me, like amazon just says "Sorry we cant ship to you!!" at checkout but the orders go through fine

thanks for the help goons but it seems like this might be a problem with my ISP

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
move to canada

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaman Linavi posted:

isp is Frontier

lol

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is there a giant chart somewhere of what voltage/current a given type of charger will provide to a given USB device? I know the google guy has his review of usb-c stuff but I'm wondering about everything up from the basic 5V/500mA from standard USB 2.0

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

DuckConference posted:

is there a giant chart somewhere of what voltage/current a given type of charger will provide to a given USB device? I know the google guy has his review of usb-c stuff but I'm wondering about everything up from the basic 5V/500mA from standard USB 2.0
1) is it written on the charger
2) is the UL/european one also on there
3) did you get it from a reputable manufacturer

if all of those is yes then it's probably ok to go by what's on the charger. the usb-c cable thing is a problem because afaik the usb design committee thought it would be a great idea if the cable were used to determine how much power to draw instead of the endpoints, or some nonsense like that

dionysian
Dec 30, 2012

A girl I know asked me to fix her printer.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
did you get a hug????

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

if all of those is yes then it's probably ok to go by what's on the charger. the usb-c cable thing is a problem because afaik the usb design committee thought it would be a great idea if the cable were used to determine how much power to draw instead of the endpoints, or some nonsense like that

but that makes sense, the device is only going to draw as much current as it needs but if you try blindly throwing 2a down an old cable only designed for .5a its going to melt. gotta vet that cable.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

netwerk23 posted:

I have a HP DL380P gen8 with 16 2.5" bays, half full of 1TB SATA OEM drives (656108's). I'd like to fill the rest with 2TB drives but the only ones that HPE sells are SAS ones at $450 each. Has anyone here tried buying off the shelf 2TB drives and chinese clone drive sleds? I don't need SAS speeds at 4X the price. I did this once on an old StorageWorks x1600 with LFF drives and it worked fine but this 380 is newer and I worry about the controller card refusing non-OEM drives.

Edit: something like this and maybe this?

third party drives will be no problem

practically all sas devices are happy to talk to sata drives, it's part of the spec. hpe doesn't give a gently caress if you use 3rd party drives, it just won't be supported under your warranty (duh?)

one little wrinkle: hp gen8 is so loving old and crusty you may need to update the controller firmware to get 2+ TB drives to work

hp doesn't give away firmware for free anymore so idk how you will get the update without a support contract

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
collab spotify playlists

how?

do i need premium?

if buy premium is that per phone or per ios account??

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

collab spotify playlists

how?

do i need premium?

if buy premium is that per phone or per ios account??

Not sure about if you need premium or not but Spotify accounts are not tied to any account or phone. If you have a non family plan then you can only listen one at a time (if you're logged in on two devices one will dominate choice but both can play the music I think) unless one device is in offline mode.

Family plan let's you play up to a certain number of devices at once from the one account.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm im just a tight mother fucker

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

hmm im just a tight mother fucker

Was gonna say. Premium is a no brainier I feel

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
problem is i never listen when out an about, usually only in my lounge where I have access to what.cd and youtube

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
found out i can do what i wanted hehehe it's a collab playlist for me and a friend :smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey probably already solved how do you stop iCal spam it's relentless and I don't even use it stupid iCloud

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

hey probably already solved how do you stop iCal spam it's relentless and I don't even use it stupid iCloud

make a time machine and prevent tim from taking over apple

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

there were a few solutions posted in the apple/google thread

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

log into iCloud.com on a computer and change calendar invites to be email instead of app

to nuke existing invites without responding make a new calendar on the website, then move the events to that new calendar on your phone, then delete the calendar on the website

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

holy gently caress poo poo whose idea was that?

thanks though, I will get onto that when I have some spare time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
righty so I have this scenario and finding a already usable web-based solution might not be easy without a custom rolled solution idk can you dudes tell me

so I am going to be selling places on a course.. there is like 16 of these courses in a month. there is a maximum of 12 slots on each course.

so ideally the people booking the course click the month and then the course and if there are places free they book. and then pay money on CC there and then

it also has to be able to deal with nzd.. gently caress.! stripe can't (motherfuckers) so I might be stuck using something local. there is this web based one called storbie which looked fisher price a bit but clean enough and maybe I could wrangle it into my needs but it might end up being a mess

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its a mess. I dont expect anyone to consider this edge case and give me an answer. im just ranting hoping my rant will make an answer clear to me

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Support your fledgling local industry ya scrooge

Especially in Canterbury where you are continually getting hosed by mother nature

Also squarespace? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
our primary site is squarespace and its good. its this handling course bookings like a product and wrangling a website to do what its not designed to do. maybe shopify will work.. and it ties in with xero coz there are going to be lots of small sales due to this different way of dealing with this customer. welp. im sure shopify actually has a way of having different pages of goods and if I can work out how to access that I will be in the clear almsot