Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

LentThem posted:

if it's a chinese company with chinese managers and is not in china, just run
it's going to be a china-bubble of business practices and you are going to hate every day. there was a reddit post from a year ago about one of these companies in California and how terrible it was

Haha man, I swear every time you talk to a girl it's either "she got offended when I complained about China/Chinese people" or "she told me all of these things she hates about Chinese society (which I clearly steered the topic towards unless every girl in china is just itching to complain about China)"

I'm getting the impression that you're doing the American equivalent of that Chinese guy that goes "Ah, you're American, haha you bombed Japan! gently caress them, right? *thumbs up*"

I looked into it and it seems the CEO is chinese for the Finnish office, but beyond that managers seem to be Finnish, and I heard no bad things from my previous employer who tipped me for this position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Not your typical beauty product garbage, but a niche product she enjoyed herself and thought Chinese could accept in a growing market where online sales were becoming more common.

Haier posted:

I am supposed to have a date with this very nice, normal, lovely woman near my age who works in the medical industry (not TCM), and owns her own house and car, so she's not thirsting for any man to take care of her.

Haier posted:

I understand that job sucks and I am generally overly-polite to those people if need be. Anyway, he looked and me said in English "gently caress YOU."

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

LentThem posted:

Haha man, I swear every time you talk to a girl it's either "she got offended when I complained about China/Chinese people" or "she told me all of these things she hates about Chinese society (which I clearly steered the topic towards unless every girl in china is just itching to complain about China)"

I'm getting the impression that you're doing the American equivalent of that Chinese guy that goes "Ah, you're American, haha you bombed Japan! gently caress them, right? *thumbs up*"
Nuh-uuuuh. The me Vs. China thing isn't so common, but if it ever does come up it's like this every single time, and I can blame myself:

Chinese: *Stupid question.*
Me: "I don't want to talk about this.
Chinese: "WHY?"
Me: "People always ask me this. I don't like it."
Chinese: "WHY?"
Me: "Forget it."
Chinese: "R U ANGRY?????????"
Me: "No."
Chinese: "WHYYYYY? TELL ME"
Me: "Ok."
Chinese: "'CAUSE IT'S A BUTTHURTSWEET SYMPHONY THIS LI-IFE"

GOD!!!!!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Maybe this is better, and less dildo-y

http://i.imgur.com/jsPOvwE.gifv

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Thank you! Need to keep this in mind.

Ocean freight, so container traffic.

OH poo poo. KISS rear end

As someone who works in Manufacturing and hates dealing with logistics, yeah you gotta do it sleazy style. Everyone is going to swear and curse a lot. All the loving time because of random forms and time tables and poo poo.

If you want the job. Just say you are willing to work for the team and want the job really bad. And you want to learn from a successful multinational company. You can stay overtime and work up to Beijing time to get things done.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Thai TV has these constant cartoon sound effects behind their dramas. Like the fat guy looks around the corner and BOIOIOING spring sound then the girl he's looking at notices him looking and PEEP POO PEEP POO cuckoo clock noise on cut to his fat startled face.

Thai TV sucks now but I keep betting that sometime in the future there's going to be some amazing Thai shows about Thai history. You just can't make them now because of lese majeste laws.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

caberham posted:

OH poo poo. KISS rear end

As someone who works in Manufacturing and hates dealing with logistics, yeah you gotta do it sleazy style. Everyone is going to swear and curse a lot. All the loving time because of random forms and time tables and poo poo.

If you want the job. Just say you are willing to work for the team and want the job really bad. And you want to learn from a successful multinational company. You can stay overtime and work up to Beijing time to get things done.

So pretty much same I did for the Taiwanese company, awesome thanks!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I looked into it and it seems the CEO is chinese for the Finnish office, but beyond that managers seem to be Finnish, and I heard no bad things from my previous employer who tipped me for this position.

Still, unless that's your only job opportunity I would avoid it.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Maybe this is better, and less dildo-y

http://i.imgur.com/jsPOvwE.gifv

amazing

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Khorne posted:

I don't know how common it is but multiple asian girls gave me poo poo for having light brown eyes. Dark brown eyes = real person (asian), blue eyes = american stereotype, light brown eyes = satan himself aka me. I mean I guess they are kind of hazel which is probably why. Maybe it was just a small sample of women that I had talked to for a while online before meeting and they made assumptions about my eye color that weren't true in real life.

What about green eyes?!?!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Pirate Radar posted:

Thai TV sucks now but I keep betting that sometime in the future there's going to be some amazing Thai shows about Thai history. You just can't make them now because of lese majeste laws.

I'm not so sure of this. People still freak out in the US whenever someone tries to portray Reagan as out of his mind and he doesn't hold nearly the place in American culture as Elvis does in Thailand.

Though seemingly contradictory, censorship laws are often a boon in art because it forces creators to come at stories and themes from angles they wouldn't approach if they could be direct. Subtext is always more interesting than being literal.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
A proper sex scene is way better than a train going into a tunnel.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Gargamel Gibson posted:

A proper sex scene is way better than a train going into a tunnel.

I see someone hasn't seen Eraserhead.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'm not so sure of this. People still freak out in the US whenever someone tries to portray Reagan as out of his mind and he doesn't hold nearly the place in American culture as Elvis does in Thailand.

Though seemingly contradictory, censorship laws are often a boon in art because it forces creators to come at stories and themes from angles they wouldn't approach if they could be direct. Subtext is always more interesting than being literal.

Art is either censored by appearance or by meaning, rarely both, and depending (generally) upon if the censoring body is authoritarian or not. I don't read much art history but Dave Hickey's book The Invisible Dragon is mostly about this and it's really good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

James Hong rules and let no one tell you otherwise.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Maybe lese majeste was the wrong thing to pick on. Some other legal and societal stuff could change and unlock some really good material--like for instance I'm convinced there's a great Thai cop show just waiting to be born, but portraying cops as imperfect human beings would step on some toes, right? And sometimes those toes aren't royal by blood but they're connected in by marriage or patronage and we're back to lese majeste.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yeah how do green eyed red haired dudes do in China?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LingcodKilla posted:

i imagine the air pollution burns your skin much like the rays of our beloved sun.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This is a few pages late but fei cheng wu rao kind of owns because everyone is extra weird and dumb on purpose, because most don't actually want to go on dates. Getting a date and finding a match means you leave the show, whereas if you stay on as a big weirdo you stay on TV for longer and can build up some personal reality star brand. They do eventually switch people out but sometimes you get people on for a while.

They get non-Chinese on more and more now which makes it even cringier. A while ago there was some white Canadian dude in a leather suit that came on and was ultra creepy because he was infatuated with one of the girls that had been on the show for a while and tracked down all sorts of really private information and was asking about personal poo poo like her family on this national television show. The whole audience was shocked when she turned him down after he so dutifully stalked her online, and it was all over the internet here for a few days.

fake edit: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/james-alofs i found a Canadian news story about it!

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

LingcodKilla posted:

I should ask the one I saw in my building. Now I am no longer the only white person in here and I feel extremely threatened.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cool i didn't know radiolab had a tv show

:drat:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The expat is truly a territorial creature.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

I should ask the one I saw in my building. Now I am no longer the only white person in here and I feel extremely threatened.

the plumbing must be terrible if there are two plungers there

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I hadn't seen a non-Chinese person in my neighborhood for a good year and a half after moving here and it was genuinely shocking when I started seeing them occasionally, like bigfoot sightings. At this point my building has one other white guy and a black guy, and there's a guy from Cameroon who lives a couple kilometers away who I run into occasionally.

A couple weeks ago I saw four white people at once and I stared like a farmer. I have no idea what they were doing around here. I would go weeks without ever hearing a word of English or seeing a non-Chinese person outside of work and now I see at least one almost weekly. My Real China Experience :argh:

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Shop worker: "Hey boss, we just got that shipment from Japan. How much should we price these things?"
Boss: *Sly grin creeps across his face*

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Haier posted:

Why do you feel threatened?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Haier posted:

Shop worker: "Hey boss, we just got that shipment from Japan. How much should we price these things?"

I don't get it

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boiled Water posted:

I don't get it

It's good for lucky.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's a voice synthesizer good for luck? I get the numbering makes it lucky, but is that all there is to it? Is this a good price for a voice synth?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

JaucheCharly posted:

It might be easier to list the reasons why the expat wouldn't feel threatened. I guess I'll take a stab at explaining. Theories run the gamut from expats being inherent failures (why couldn't they find work at home) to the Chinese "Celestial" are made differently; the Chinese anatomy reacts differently and defies "Western" medicine in explanation and only dried, and ground Rhino horn can transfer the sexual libido-consciousness which been “located” in the frontoinsular cortex and the hypothalamus (Only in Chinese, the barbaric foreigner has no such libido issues, a sign of their lack of civility) and a hundred dynamic cores in between. In the end, no why.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 30, 2016

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

"That synth only plays marching music! The Führer will be pleased!"

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

JaucheCharly posted:

It's a joke.

Boiled Water posted:

I don't get it
888 - so lucky number.

Boiled Water posted:

It's a voice synthesizer good for luck? I get the numbering makes it lucky, but is that all there is to it? Is this a good price for a voice synth?
Volca Sample -which means it's a sampler.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn't worry, Haier. If they can't find your apartment, they can't find his either.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The ginger expat is like a loving beacon. I'm sure all he had to do was step out on a balcony and everyone stopped out on the street and stared.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Asian tv is pretty cringy everywhere, in Japan my waifu always asked why I "ruined" a show by asking if its typical for japanese people to walk around with wireless mics.
I think perhaps I am kind of spoiled by the BBC.
I also Just realised : I must be a double failure, as I am an ExExPat.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Magna Kaser posted:

This is a few pages late but fei cheng wu rao kind of owns because everyone is extra weird and dumb on purpose, because most don't actually want to go on dates. Getting a date and finding a match means you leave the show, whereas if you stay on as a big weirdo you stay on TV for longer and can build up some personal reality star brand. They do eventually switch people out but sometimes you get people on for a while.

They get non-Chinese on more and more now which makes it even cringier. A while ago there was some white Canadian dude in a leather suit that came on and was ultra creepy because he was infatuated with one of the girls that had been on the show for a while and tracked down all sorts of really private information and was asking about personal poo poo like her family on this national television show. The whole audience was shocked when she turned him down after he so dutifully stalked her online, and it was all over the internet here for a few days.

fake edit: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/james-alofs i found a Canadian news story about it!

Looks like the Great Firewall has also failed to keep barbarian raiders out.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Xerxes17 posted:

Looks like the Great Firewall has also failed to keep barbarian raiders out.

Hey, there's no proof that he's from Alberta.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Thailand/comments/5fhos2/anyone_have_a_rough_estimate_for_the_value_of_a/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
gross i didnt think that whole layer of skin was connected, or maybe the chemical used eats through the connective tissue?

http://shanghaiist.com/2016/11/29/breasts_drop_to_stomach.php

• Locked thread