Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pierzak posted:

It's not every day that "modeler might be a nazi irl" red flags are literal :v:

The ones you need to worry about sure as poo poo won't have the flag folded like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
So if he had had the flag unfurled, he'd be an auto-Nazi?

Or do you need an unfurled swastika on a Space Marine?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Or do you need an unfurled swastika on a Space Marine?
The space marine needs a dead brown ork on his base for true auto-nazi identification.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

JcDent posted:

Folding the flag here is basically saying "n-word." We all know what it is and what it means. And we all know the kind of shitheads who get a kick out of tossing the long-form around at every opportunity.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I just wanted to share my tank. The last thing I wanted to do was cause offense, so if you guys think it's in poor taste, I will edit the post to just have the pictures of the Panzer II.

I shared these pics with the Bolt Action Facebook group too and it generated some comments as well (although now there's a bunch of people posting pictures of flags on vehicles openly, so I guess I'm an enabler) and I weighed in with a comment I'd like to share here since I think it applies to us in the Historicals thread, too:

quote:

This is something of a balancing act [for me], because I think everyone here probably considers themselves an amateur historian (and possibly even a professional historian), and so maintaining history is important for us, the good and the bad. But there are also a lot of people where the swastika (in this specific form) is not a symbol of history, it is a symbol of hate. I want to respect this opinion/concern without removing a dark part of history, which I feel needs to exist so that it's not forgotten.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I think people overreact, even though I don't have a ton of swaztikas on my own German tanks.

Third Reich Germany was a fascist dictatorship that committed unprecedented crimes against humanity. Does it really matter that much wether you use the symbol of the political party behind the design of these horrible acts, or the symbol of the army that perpetrated them? Really?

Either you are fine with distancing yourself from the army you play, and avoid getting caught up with idolizing the army you build, or you'll get caught in a weird position where you defend war crimes, no matter which historical army you build, be it Romans, Mongols or WW2 Germany.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Wasn't it quite common, especially in North Africa for German armour to use that flag as aircraft ID markers. I've certainly seen a good few pics like it

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Wasn't it quite common, especially in North Africa for German armour to use that flag as aircraft ID markers. I've certainly seen a good few pics like it

It was. They also used them on captured vehicles so friendly aircraft wouldn't attack them.

lilljonas posted:

Either you are fine with distancing yourself from the army you play, and avoid getting caught up with idolizing the army you build, or you'll get caught in a weird position where you defend war crimes, no matter which historical army you build, be it Romans, Mongols or WW2 Germany.

I really appreciate this perspective. Thank you.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 29, 2016

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

ExtraNoise posted:

It was. They also used them on captured vehicles so friendly aircraft wouldn't attack them.

I really appreciate this perspective. Thank you.

I also think that it is very personal. For example, I have no problem building German armies and field them without feeling such a connection to them. However, I have friends who refuse to play Germans in WW2, since they feel that they always get a kind of empathy for the armies they play, and they simply don't want to develop that kind of empathy for WW2 Germany. And I can respect that.

On the other hand, I get a bad feeling in my stomach about playing Moderns. I would not like to play Fallujah, or Grozny, or Ukraine 2015, or Colombian death squads. But I don't accuse people who are fine with those period of being bloodthirsty war criminals, just because I personally know that I have a problem with that kind of wargaming.

E: weirdly enough my gut draws the line between WW2 and Korea, but also about scale, where I would have less problems with 6mm tanks than 28mm infantry. And I would not have the same problem with a fictional war, such as Team Yankee, than with actual war, like playing Congo.

On the other hand, I really don't get Congo. I have read too much about colonialism to be comfortable with playing white gentlemen stomping around in Africa, burning villages. So I'm not trying to pretend that I have some clear logic for what I like to play or not. It's better to admit that it's very much up to a gut feeling, and accept that other people's gut feelings are different.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 29, 2016

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I guess I never thought of it like that.

I just played it as a game, I saw the flag and thought that's pretty neat and creative. I liked the vibrancy of the red and clean lines.
I have half German heritage but have no love or idolatry of the Reich. It happened, it's history. In the same way Napoleon or Alexander, Romans or the Mongols were bloody periods of history.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I've been an active Antifa ( too old to be active these days) but I don't have a problem with a historically accurate swastika here and there when wargaming WW2. I can get why some people are uncomfy although a lot of that seems to come from non historical gamers daubing them everywhere ( the Dropzone Commander FB group had a massive blow up after some wanker smothered his sci fi mans with them. ). To be honest you can fake as Germans without resorting to swastikas as they didn't tend to be used very often on tanks etc.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

I've been an active Antifa ( too old to be active these days) but I don't have a problem with a historically accurate swastika here and there when wargaming WW2. I can get why some people are uncomfy although a lot of that seems to come from non historical gamers daubing them everywhere ( the Dropzone Commander FB group had a massive blow up after some wanker smothered his sci fi mans with them. ). To be honest you can fake as Germans without resorting to swastikas as they didn't tend to be used very often on tanks etc.

Haha, yeah. I'd be far more vary about the gamer who just have to play SS in every game, or even worse, slabs Nazi images all over their 40K stuff. That will raise my eyebrows.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

lilljonas posted:

I think people overreact, even though I don't have a ton of swaztikas on my own German tanks.

Third Reich Germany was a fascist dictatorship that committed unprecedented crimes against humanity. Does it really matter that much wether you use the symbol of the political party behind the design of these horrible acts, or the symbol of the army that perpetrated them? Really?

I think the nuance here is that the swastika, and the Nazi flag specifically, is still actively used as a hate symbol. It's not just an issue of its historical weight, it's also something that's actively being used with the intent of causing fear and/or rallying white supremacists. Completely aside from the general point you're making about the history of military crimes, you have to deal with that angle as well. I tend to avoid using the Thor's hammer symbol even in historically appropriate contexts because it's been appropriated by nordic white power groups, and I don't want to deal with any of those fuckers thinking I'm sending a coded message that I'm on their side.

Which is not to say that I don't think people should use the Nazi flag in historical miniatures, but just that I can see outrage or discomfort about it as being more understandable or legitimate than somebody complaining about the use of the Imperial Japanese flag because of their warcrimes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Notahippie posted:

Which is not to say that I don't think people should use the Nazi flag in historical miniatures, but just that I can see outrage or discomfort about it as being more understandable or legitimate than somebody complaining about the use of the Imperial Japanese flag because of their warcrimes.

Unless you live in Korea, or China, or other pacific islands.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I got a light mortar team as part of my US starter army. Are there any good reasons to take a light mortar versus a medium? I'm new to the game, but from what I can tell, the main benefit is that the light mortar is not fixed and can therefore be fired on the move(?) and has a full 360 degree arc. Are these things useless or are these benefits and the ten points of savings worth caring about? The trade-offs seem pretty big between range and blast diameter. I was going to try it out in my first game, but I'm really skeptical that it'll manage to accomplish anything at all. I think I'd be better off dropping it and putting those points towards a sniper or something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Light mortars are great for screening your infantry with smoke, but I don't think I'd take one over a medium in like 90% of lists.

Mortars in general are nice, though, especially if you're playing on a board that has a lot of buildings, since they're super good at making your opponent leave his cover or risk you zeroing in.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

BA question!

I have an Italian command box, two and a half infantry box (a poo poo ton of SMGs, almost enuff rifles for a squad), an MMG, a light mortar, a spaghettiverfer and a sniper team. What's the best combo for 500pts?

2 man command, one squad of rifles (and MG), one squad of SMGs (and MG), mortar, sniper and...?

Is it better to have one rifles squad and one smg squad, or to mix the weapons?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JcDent posted:

BA question!

I have an Italian command box, two and a half infantry box (a poo poo ton of SMGs, almost enuff rifles for a squad), an MMG, a light mortar, a spaghettiverfer and a sniper team. What's the best combo for 500pts?

2 man command, one squad of rifles (and MG), one squad of SMGs (and MG), mortar, sniper and...?

Is it better to have one rifles squad and one smg squad, or to mix the weapons?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want one squad to hang back with your artillery and split the SMGs into two squads to move forward them split them like that (clear battlefield roles for everyone). If you want to play a more flexible game then two squads and a partial squad with a mix.

SMG vets are a decent assault unit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Don't I want max squads for mqx morale?

Also, the mortar is a must, but how about sniper and flame? How useful are they?

And yeah, rifle-smg squad split was imagined with the idea of using one for fire support and the other to close in.

Also, do I have to mount the MG and loader on the same base?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JcDent posted:

Also, the mortar is a must, but how about sniper and flame? How useful are they?

And yeah, rifle-smg squad split was imagined with the idea of using one for fire support and the other to close in.

Sniper yes, they are great for putting pins on things. I've found flamethrowers situational.

You can go with max squads but I'd say getting an extra order dice in the bag and being able to do one more pin/assault per turn is worth it, particularly if you use the firebase squad to soften up a target.

You can mount the models how you like. Just put a dice next to them to show casualties if you multibase them.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

I hope there are rules for shooting pistols out of windows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Would my By Fire and Sword stuff work here?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

Would my By Fire and Sword stuff work here?

If you mean the thread, I'd love to see more BF&S here.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh me too, but it's not painted yet.

I meant in the new Osprey Pike and Shot game. Which does cover Great Northern War now that I've had a closer look at the blurb!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Polikarpov posted:

I hope there are rules for shooting pistols out of windows.

Also chucking Imperial Governors out of same.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

JcDent posted:

If my memory serves me correctly one of Italy's national rules is that they take a morale penalty for every order dice they lose and get a bonus for every order dice of their opponent they remove. If that's the case you want to make your squads as tough as possible

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Notahippie posted:

Also chucking Imperial Governors out of same.

Roll 2d6 to see how hard your dudes sack the town!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
What's the premier ACW game out there?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What level? Skirmish, regimental, divisional?

For Skirmish rules, "Sharp Practice 2" looks pretty sweet. For the Brigade/Division level, "Pickett's Charge" was just released and is getting good feedback. Both are "Too Fat Lardies" games. I also really like "Gettysburg Soldiers" because it's at roughly the regimental level and is ridiculously simple to play - you can get though a pretty big battle in a pretty short time. If you want to get deep into the groggy weeds, rules like "Regimental Fire & Fury" and the various "Johnny Reb" games are available, but I think these introduce some unnecessary complication purely for complication's sake.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I'm thinking same scale as the Ultimate General video games. Also, what scale is Pickett's Charge set at?

Edit: Im a dumbo. It's 15 and 28mm

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I really like Black Powder with the ACW expansion book.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DJ Dizzy posted:

I'm thinking same scale as the Ultimate General video games. Also, what scale is Pickett's Charge set at?

Edit: Im a dumbo. It's 15 and 28mm
Yeah, I wouldn't do anything bigger than 15mm for Pickett's Charge. Trying to do brigades/divisions at 28mm scale would make me want to shoot myself just in terms of painting the minis. Also, the model scale vs ground scale at 28mm is usually pretty awful. CoC gets away with it because it's platoon scale, but even then you could make a pretty good case for 15mm being a better representation.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Ilor posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't do anything bigger than 15mm for Pickett's Charge. Trying to do brigades/divisions at 28mm scale would make me want to shoot myself just in terms of painting the minis. Also, the model scale vs ground scale at 28mm is usually pretty awful. CoC gets away with it because it's platoon scale, but even then you could make a pretty good case for 15mm being a better representation.

Hell, they straight-up make that case in the rulebook. CoC is figuring a foot = 40 yards, which is an inch = 10 feet, which is just about exactly 15mm scale.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Most 28mm scale wargames have a much smaller groundscale - dropping to 15mm makes things look a lot more realistic.

EDIT - of course, most 15mm wargames tend to look better at 6mm.....

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 1, 2016

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

muggins posted:

This is the groggiest poo poo I've ever seen

Oh man... Someone else finally posted about these here.

Scratch-built miniatures are an absolute obsession fascination of mine. I've really been meaning to sit down and crank out a couple armies.

There's a few solid varieties out there. Let's start with the most "Insane" and progress towards some of the more "Crafty":

Rice: Uncooked.

6mm Napoleonics:

source: 1

6mm DBA:

sources: 1, 2

-----

Matchsticks: Is this less insane than rice? Gluing them must be easier, at the very least.

6mm Napoleonics:

-----

Hair Rollers: There are a couple varieties of rollers out there, from pointed to nubby.

?mm ACW:

source: 1, 2

5mm ACW:

The horses aren't rollers, but we'll get to them in a minute...

?mm WWI:

5mm DBA:

The elephants are lima beans. Again, you might also notice that those horses and trebuchets aren't made from rollers. They're made from...

-----

Needlepoint Mesh: An evolution of the rollers.

5mm ACW:

6mm DBA:

-----

Clothespins: Traditional. Wooden.

54mm Colonial

source: 1, 2

?mm Little Wars / Funny Little Wars

?mm "Boxkites" (WWI Dogfighting):

-----

"Craftees": Less traditional. Still wooden.

25-28mm DBA:

sources: 1, 2, 3

10-12mm DBA:

28mm Arrayed for Battle:

Bonus: Craftees D&D

-----

There's more out there, but whew - it, uh, looks like I got a bit carried away :shobon:

Hopefully someone else out there appreciates these little arts-and-crafts projects. I've tried to include sources where you might be able to see/learn more about each type.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 1, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

uncooked rice

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

JcDent posted:

uncooked rice

The heads are mustard seeds. :eng101:

:psypop:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How many figures pr regiment in 15mm does picketts charge recommend?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

DJ Dizzy posted:

How many figures pr regiment in 15mm does picketts charge recommend?

About 21,500 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Alehkhs posted:

Bonus: Craftees D&D

:eyepop: This is the coolest goddamn thing I have ever seen! Gonna do this with my kids when they're old enough