Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ball is a maddening sport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qxu5cvW-ds&t=75s
whoa he somehow was only 45 at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chunkles posted:

Doc Rivers got ejected tonight. He is 55 years old.
is there a statute of limitations on being a grumpy old man?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

straight up brolic posted:

I think 55 is just about the sweet spot for a good holler. Any older people might stop taking you so serious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEuOTkTQ8h4

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Doctor Rivers got ejected? Holy moly

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Long live Earl

https://twitter.com/jasonlloydabj/status/803818563127672832

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

NickRoweFillea posted:

Doctor Rivers got ejected? Holy moly
tbf Ken Mauer called a technical on him with 18 seconds left from across the court based on something that he didn't say to another official that he was talking to (announcers alluded to it being him calling Lauren Holtkamp a bitch, but they could hear everything that he said). I woulda blown my stack too.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

he's in the uncanny valley of blowing up where you are supposed to be too mature to be fighting other old men and not yet old enough to be a truly angry old man

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zogo posted:

Dead last in WP% putting out those videos. :lol:

I'm glad my bad team still puts effort into presentation. It makes going to games better. Going to enough games in other stadiums made me appreciate that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMAo8jLG0uk

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also there are arguments to be made that Harden would have never been able to flourish on a team with two other ball dominant players. Harden definitely did become a better player when the offense ran exclusively through him but what Harden would have been if he stayed on the Thunder is something we will never know.

Harden and Durant would've blossomed into an extremely elite scoring tandem (one of the most potent ever)*. In 2012 KD and Harden were the #1 and #3 scorers in the whole league. They were 22 and 23 years old!

*Yes, even better than 1987 Bird/McHale or 2009 Nash/Stoudemire. Possibly better than 2016 Curry/Klay. We'll have to see how high 2017 Curry/Durant can go.

They have a real chance of back to back 70 win seasons.

Away all Goats posted:

I don't know why people say Harden and Westbrook couldn't coexist when Harden has said he was fine coming off the bench and that trio went to the Finals when none of them were older than 25

None of them were over 23. But the media talked about them like they were all 30 year old veterans who should've won the title. Awful optics.

Many in 2011-2012 thought Harden was just racking up stats in garbage time. But he had the #4 WS/48 in the entire league that year. I would've definitely moved Ibaka and even Westbrook before breaking up Durant/Harden. At the time I thought it was crazy they let Harden get away. OKC fans should've been raging and picketing over Harden but it's clear they were ignorant of Harden's true power levels.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 30, 2016

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Who is S. Kilpatrick and how did he drop 30+ on the Clippers

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/803836184254353409
heh

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

E2M2 posted:

He played at Cincinatti, had 10 days with like 8 NBA teams in one year, Brooklyn signed him last year and he went off for the second half of the season, he scored 20 a night consistently. He's had a little injury trouble and not as much usage this year. He's just a scoring combo guard/undersized sg like you'd expect from a ny player who went to Cincinatti. I really like him and you can check my posting record for proof

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

unreal

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

E2M2 posted:

I asked myself this very question at the bar tonight. Has a kilpatrick ever scored 30+ on the clippers in history?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I was pretty sure he said he was willing to take like $56m to be a team player. So like $1m a season difference.

Nope. It was max or nothing. Ibaka and Russ both left money on the table to account for Harden to be offered as much as he was.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EvanTH posted:

Ball is a maddening sport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qxu5cvW-ds&t=75s
whoa he somehow was only 45 at the time

Good video IMO.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Spacebump posted:

He is an old root beer barrel and has bite. Great nickname.

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/803372914032545792

Sometimes I wonder if there is a free agent who didn't come to Dallas because they didn't want to be in the videos.

I'm also shocked how much Dirk seems to love it.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
I could watch Giannis go coast to coast all day :love:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

I don't like the way they made those words.

Dunkify!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is 55 old ? 55 is not old.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

He played at Cincinatti, had 10 days with like 8 NBA teams in one year, Brooklyn signed him last year and he went off for the second half of the season, he scored 20 a night consistently. He's had a little injury trouble and not as much usage this year. He's just a scoring combo guard/undersized sg like you'd expect from a ny player who went to Cincinatti. I really like him and you can check my posting record for proof

Also one of his 10 day contracts was with the Wolves because they were shorthanded on the road against the Knicks and he lived nearby.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mandrel posted:

Nope. It was max or nothing. Ibaka and Russ both left money on the table to account for Harden to be offered as much as he was.

This is also not correct. Russ took the 5 year designated max. Ibaka took a paycut though.

"I didn't know I was playing basketball" is a pretty airtight alibi coming from JR though.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

I checked the boxes before bed last night and I was honestly floored at some of these outcomes. Magic and Bucks winning by double-digits over the Spurs and Cavs? Nets beating Clippers in 2OT and some guy named Sean Kilpatrick scored nearly 40 points. Who the gently caress is Sean Kilpatrick?

Also this:
https://vine.co/v/5UOmr2IDBZU

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Libertine posted:

I checked the boxes before bed last night and I was honestly floored at some of these outcomes. Magic and Bucks winning by double-digits over the Spurs and Cavs? Nets beating Clippers in 2OT and some guy named Sean Kilpatrick scored nearly 40 points. Who the gently caress is Sean Kilpatrick?

Also this:
https://vine.co/v/5UOmr2IDBZU

And the Pistons didn't have Drummond for half of the Charlotte game :psyduck:

ozymandius1024 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 30, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ozymandius1024 posted:

And the Pistons didn't have Drummond for half of the Charlotte game :psyduck:

Based on this and whichever game he missed to injury (the Thunder one I think), Dre is a strong Ewing Theory candidate.

Charlotte was also coming off a back to back and we were on multiple days' rest.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Asian wife flies to Memphis to meet /vc/ https://instagram.com/p/BNYSL5tAJiR/

I know what Vince is doing after the game.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Big SI article on Hinkie.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/11/30/sam-hinkie-after-the-process-philadelphia-76ers/?xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Sam Hinkie posted:

“If Pop turns David Lee into a great defender, he’s a wizard and we should burn him.”

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Mandrel posted:

Looks like you were right. Thunder offered $56m, Harden wanted $60m.

And the Thunder needed that $4m to rig bids for oil leases so they had to let him go.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Based on this and whichever game he missed to injury (the Thunder one I think), Dre is a strong Ewing Theory candidate.

Charlotte was also coming off a back to back and we were on multiple days' rest.

It helps that Detroit with leueueerurr at center and ish at pg ids a mirror of Charlotte rather than the team they were expecting

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Nerlens Noel is going to the D League for a rehab assignment

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Thanks for the link! There are dozens of things you could quote from that article, I'll go with this one:

quote:

With the Sixers, Hinkie was renowned for his dispassion. “Bleak events would happen and that day looked exactly like the days when Robert Covington has 40 and we look smart for signing him,” recalls one colleague. “There was no variation at all to Sam’s approach and it probably freaked people out, I know it did.” Then again, Hinkie was also known for his empathy. One example: He drove Evan Turner to the airport after trading him.

Trust the Process. All the way to the airport.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

smh he hated Evan Turner so much he had to 100% make sure he left town.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Thanks for the link! There are dozens of things you could quote from that article, I'll go with this one:
"Why do we watch basketball games front to back?” Hinkie asks. “Why not watch games back to front, or out of order?”

Are we sure Hinkie doesn't drug his own coffee?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He got us embiid and Simmons .

I'm ok . Let's move on .

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

euphronius posted:

He got us embiid and Simmons .

I'm ok . Let's move on .
You just can't ignore that kind of crazy tho

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

You just can't ignore that kind of crazy tho

I didn't read the article
:smug:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

God Sam Hinkie looks like poo poo did he just binge on Ben & Jerrys and antipsychotics after leaving the Sixers?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

God Sam Hinkie looks like poo poo did he just binge on Ben & Jerrys and antipsychotics after leaving the Sixers?

quote:

At first, after resigning, Hinkie considered getting away from it all. Maybe a trip to Patagonia or “an Endless Summer type deal.” But then he thought about his four sons—Tyler, nine, Hudson, six, and two-year-old twins Cooper and Cole—and, as he puts it, “I realized that wouldn’t be the most fatherly thing to do.” Friends from the league encouraged him to get in shape, maybe run a triathlon, but he’s not interested.

(...)

Every hour between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m., his Fitbit watch vibrates. Not to remind him to exercise; as Hinkie says, “I do not feel compelled to impress it.” Rather, it’s a cue to consider the previous hour. Was he productive? Did he achieve his goals? He then spends the following 60 seconds considering the hour to come. Once properly centered, Hinkie proceeds with his day.

This whole piece is about Hinkie's quest for self optimization, but he doesn't give a poo poo about his body.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

This whole piece is about Hinkie's quest for self optimization, but he doesn't give a poo poo about his body.
I like how he had to sit and think out, "Wait maybe I shouldn't abandon my wife and four kids".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jack's Flow posted:

I hope Hinkie's quest makes him realize that athletes and agents are people and not numbers on a spreadsheet. I don't know how anyone can spend a month in a gym with the same 12 guys and be thinking how you can ship the good ones off and make the bad ones suck more so you can get new players. Unless of course you're Sam Hinkie and have never exercised a day in your life, much less with other people who care a whole lot about improving themselves at basketball.

• Locked thread