Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

so what is this game's mid-range shaman, face hunter, zoo, i.e. most reviled deck

It's Elana. It's pretty much impossible for newbies to beat. Imagine playing Arena in hearthstone but the guy with Elana heals every turn and his same-costed minions are bigger than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Elana's aggravating, but I have fun figuring out how to blow them up with whatever bad draws the game's given me. Usually involve clever board clears and reckless evolutions.

Also I've reached B-rank :toot:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
In B rank I've just discovered the joy of having my face pushed in by Discard Dragon, Altered Fate for 14 face at once :f5:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Dzhay posted:

Two questions:

-How do you fight against the Swordcraft zerg-rush decks? They seem to crush me by turn 6 or 7 unless I draw all my cheapest defence or board-clearers early.

-Speaking of gimmicks: how close to competitive can you get with an all-Neutral deck? I want to confuse some people.

Surprised no one's responded to this yet:

-Uh... play minions and spells? It's something you'll always have to deal with, but most decks will have fairly efficient answers. Hard to give exact advice without knowing what class you're playing, but pretty much everyone has an ultra-value turn 4/5 evolve that can get at least a 3-for-1 trade. And mulligan aggressively.

-A Neutral deck would be stupidly terrible in almost all situations.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

In B rank I've just discovered the joy of having my face pushed in by Discard Dragon, Altered Fate for 14 face at once :f5:

Discard Dragon is a gimmick deck, with one of the lowest recorded win rates. You probably won't encounter that deck again (And lose to it.) any time soon.

I once lost to a Control Blood that managed to pull off a Flame and Glass when I had ran out of cards to kill them. It was the first and only time I ever saw the combined follower activate, and it was in AA2. Never before was the triple *gasp* emote as fitting on Arisa.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Aggro Sword typically wins by firing warning shots for 3 rounds and then dropping the banner and ripping your throat out on turn 4. You deal with this through cheap wards (veteran lancer, snake priestess, spartoi soldier), cheap removal (blackened scripture, magic missile, angelic barrage), or creatures that force bad trades with the likes of oathless and ascetic knight (anything with 2 defense, elf child may). Also priest of the cudgel and dragon warrior are both cards that reliably let you stabilize on turn 4.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

storm haven: top of the meta. fast face damage with a variety of utility
elana/seraph haven: heals back all your face damage and punches you to death with big numbers, or distracts you and literally plays the "you win the game" card
dshift rune: i hope you enjoy watching big booby alchemists solitaire you to death

I guess I am cancer incarnate because those are the first 3 decks I made.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like anyone who doesn't put Tempo Forest at the top of their list of hated decks is either playing Forest themselves or really fundamentally misunderstands what's going on.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like anyone who doesn't put Tempo Forest at the top of their list of hated decks is either playing Forest themselves or really fundamentally misunderstands what's going on.

Seriously, gently caress Ancient Elf and Crystalia Tia. If they play Tia it's like they get a free evolve point which is just bonkers

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I'm in D still and in 10+ games last night didn't face a single forest deck

gently caress haven tho for real

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sophism posted:

Discard Dragon is a gimmick deck, with one of the lowest recorded win rates. You probably won't encounter that deck again (And lose to it.) any time soon.
Yeah, I had just absolutely dismal pulls, at least the other person seemed excited to pull off a big win

Golden Battler posted:

I guess I am cancer incarnate because those are the first 3 decks I made.
yeah to be fair I'm playing Garuda Seraph. they all seem fun to play but when you're on the other side it generally sucks

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't run into that many Tempo players yet but it's a pretty even match with Garuda. Plenty of banish that Liza can't protect against

the thing about haven is even while I'm playing haven I don't want to play against haven

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Running that death ward thing is nice against broken aria (at least in dumpster)

Tempo forest seems totally broken also, Tia and the rhinoceroach make it a combo deck as well as a mid-range deck that can handle too many different archetypes, and ancient elf ensures it doesn't run out of steam

It can screw the opponent over from almost any position

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
The fun thing about Forest is that it's entirely possible to die without knowing which list they were playing because they all run mostly the same cards.

e: and that pattern looks like it'll continue in the new expansion since White Wolf actually makes Silverbolt and even Rose Queen significantly more viable.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Golden Battler posted:

The fun thing about Forest is that it's entirely possible to die without knowing which list they were playing because they all run mostly the same cards.

e: and that pattern looks like it'll continue in the new expansion since White Wolf actually makes Silverbolt and even Rose Queen significantly more viable.

Yeah. Am I doing the right thing trading and fighting for the board because otherwise they'd ping me down with fairies and then roach me out for the win? Or am I just building shadow while delaying my ability to kill him? I guess we'll find out in a few turns! Or maybe they loop Tia and I don't find out at all.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 30, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Yeah, his salt is half-real, half-acted. Another of his popular acts is to call for some play that will wreck him and then, when it inexorably happens, just look at the camera. Somehow that poo poo is hilarious. Again, Arena is so random that he gets to milk this a lot.

Reynad just over exaggerates his anger, like some angry pewdiepie.

This is just a thing that happens when you know the cardpool well but yeah spectators love it. I'll do it on discord with my friends when spectating their plays and they think it's funny when I call the blowout play v:shobon:v.

No Wave posted:

Running that death ward thing is nice against broken aria (at least in dumpster)

Tempo forest seems totally broken also, Tia and the rhinoceroach make it a combo deck as well as a mid-range deck that can handle too many different archetypes, and ancient elf ensures it doesn't run out of steam

It can screw the opponent over from almost any position

Having converted to a tempo forest player a few weeks ago I find that the biggest problem is that you absolutely need a few key cards for most matchups and you can get clogged with fairy makers or combo spenders. Up against vampy? Mulligan for Elf Child May. Don't get Elf Child May or Ancient Elf? :negative:.

The deck has a plan against every other deck but it lacks draw smoothing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I can't really speak to that, right now I'm looping tia in D0 unranked and I should probably stop

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I just hope I get to play it before something gets nerfed. It's like exactly the kind of deck I love to play in Magic. Lots of card draw, angles to win from all over the place, tons of stuff moving between zones -- the kind of deck that has tons of lines of play and rewards you for getting to know it back and forth.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tia, Ancient Elf, Cynthia, and Rhinoroach are all insane so they'd have to nerf a lot to make it unplayable

My amateur guess js that a rhinoroach nerf would take it well out of tier 1 tho

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Went against a ramp dragon dude who ramped really well with my nybrid Elana. Saved my baldies for the inevitable Fortes and sure as hell 2 were banished to the underworld. Kept defending, he dropped Olivia, cavaliers, fafnirs, etc and he still could not grind me out. Ahahaha. Everything went as planned for him and he still lost, you can bet your rear end I got a disconnect ragequit.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
lol its funny i was reading this and ran into 3 elana decks at the lowest rank in ranked possible

i couldnt win because of constant board clear and heals

reminded me of wotog control paladin

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Elana is a relatively cheap deck, honestly. None of its essentials are legendary.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Why is every player that thinks it's super cute to sandbag their rank and run the newbie flair from Japan

That honestly sounds like American level dicklordery.

edit: Okay I literally played this same guy with this same deck 2 games ago in a different arena. Why the gently caress is he being matched with me still

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 30, 2016

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Why does it seem like every healing card cycles, elanas has so much draw ugh

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Why is every player that thinks it's super cute to sandbag their rank and run the newbie flair from Japan

That honestly sounds like American level dicklordery.

Dude, Japan may be behind in many internet-related things compared to the US, but they online dicklordery is superior. They have state-of-the-art shut-ins with pretty much a single outlet for their spite. They don't even get to go on murdering gun rampages.

My flair is "salty". Truth in advertising!

Indecisive posted:

Why does it seem like every healing card cycles, elanas has so much draw ugh

Because healing would be useless otherwise for any non-Elana deck, it would only postpone your loss. Healing is fine, the actual problem is that Elana is an amulet and the meta doesn't run much amulet removal. By introducing some flexible removal (probably regular removal that can be enhanced to target amulets) Elana can be fixed easily. My Elana deck includes amulet removal and I smoke other Elanas, I have lost only twice, out of a billion, against it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Because 90% of the player base is from japan

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think the only person I've played against who was obviously trying to be a dick was from Saudi Arabia at least according to his flag, guy spammed emotes and purposefully let his turns run late. Other than that my games have been completely normal as far as I can remember.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The Japanese players seem relatively polite to me. No emote spamming or turn stalling or anything.

While I personally want them to buff all the decks I play and nerf all the ones I don't, I do think more efficient Amulet removal would go a long way towards balancing Elana. I've also speculated that a cheap card with Enhance: Destroy an Amulet might be added, because honestly a lot of biggest problem decks right now are based around powerful amulets (Elana's, Banner, and Path to Purgatory kinda-sorta), yet apparently it's still not worth it to include Amulet removal tech in most decks. To me, that says that existing Amulet removal is almost ridiculously overcosted in cards like Carnivorous Flower and Dragonrider Devil. Which I'll forgive you for not recognizing because they are never, ever played.

The only Amulet removal cards that do see play are the ones that double as relatively inefficient removal against followers, but not every archetype can make use of that.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 30, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I have no idea when people BM me because I play with the sound muted and tab out during my opponent's turn

Also while I'd like to see amulet removal worm its way into the metagame, it really only answers three strong cards and is useless against the likes of Beastcall Aria

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 30, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Tempo forest is a) loving expensive and b) hard to pilot to perfection. Most people don't get to to experience both a) and b) until they reach the A's (I've never lost to tempo Forest with Elana, not a single time, and banner has a good chance if you take it slow at the start and clear the fairies).

Like, it's the same with the JP playerbase, go to any Elana video and just look at the insults and downvotes.

Tempo takes money and skill, Elana is cheap and easy and at the tip of the list of hated decks. BTW, in the latest RAGE tournament Elana (plus mid range sword) shat all over tempo forest and not a single tempo forest deck managed to get close to the finals, all the top players were playing ptp instead.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 30, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

inthesto posted:

Also while I'd like to see amulet removal worm its way into the metagame, it really only answers three strong cards and is useless against the likes of Beastcall Aria

It's not like we want to completely gut Haven though. Probably.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Clarste posted:

The Japanese players seem relatively polite to me. No emote spamming or turn stalling or anything.

While I personally want them to buff all the decks I play and nerf all the ones I don't, I do think more efficient Amulet removal would go a long way towards balancing Elana. I've also speculated that a cheap card with Enhance: Destroy an Amulet might be added, because honestly a lot of biggest problem decks right now are based around powerful amulets (Elana's, Banner, and Path to Purgatory kinda-sorta), yet apparently it's still not worth it to include Amulet removal tech in most decks. To me, that says that existing Amulet removal is almost ridiculously overcosted in cards like Carnivorous Flower and Dragonrider Devil. Which I'll forgive you for not recognizing because they are never, ever played.

The only Amulet removal cards that do see play are the ones that double as relatively inefficient removal against followers, but not every archetype can make use of that.
Isn't the real problem card beastcall aria? I'd rather they didn't render any amulet over 3 mana useless

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

quote:

water fairy x3
elf guard x3
dungeoncrawl fairy x3
archer x3
carnivorous flower x1
rose gardener x2
yuel the ancient x2
crystalia tia x1
elf knight cynthia x2
rose queen x1
fairy whisperer x3
elf metallurgist x3
sylvan justice x3
fen sprite x2
elf healer x2
elven princess mage x1
fairy caster x1
magna botanist x2
baalt, king of the elves x1
dark angel olivia x1

please comment on my lovely makeshift forestcraft deck i came up with one night

it's been doing well in the low ranks for some reason

i also did the dream play of crystalia tia into dungeoncrawl into crystalia tia

until my board got wrecked by themis's decree two times rip

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Isn't the real problem card beastcall aria? I'd rather they didn't render any amulet over 3 mana useless

Well, maybe that's a problem, but it's not like a deck with those but without Elana's or Garuda would be any good. Whereas a deck with Elana's that manages to spam a bunch of cheap heals can certainly win without Beastcall. Personally I've never felt like Beastcall was overwhelming me; honestly I'd put Priest of the Cudgel as a much bigger issue (although perhaps they simply need that level of OP to survive long enough against aggro).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
at low rank Cynthia will lift and carry you all the way to the finish line on her own.

other than that the deck is too top-heavy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

General Morden posted:

please comment on my lovely makeshift forestcraft deck i came up with one night

it's been doing well in the low ranks for some reason

i also did the dream play of crystalia tia into dungeoncrawl into crystalia tia

until my board got wrecked by themis's decree two times rip

Seems fun, you can try replacing some of the jankier cards with good cheap ones like Elf Child May and adding even more damage boost for surprise lethal (Fairy Dancer instead of the botanist, for example).

No Wave posted:

Aria is kind of a necessary evil since, without it, Haven would not have a way to stabilize against a zerg rush.

Autarkeia
May 24, 2005
He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin'... Somethin's gonna happen.
Alright, giving this a try. I'm not patient with the whole re-roll thing but on 4th try landed

Legendary
3x Cerberus
1x Crystalia Tia
1x Odin
1x Alexander

Gold isn't very impressive
Ghouls Banquet
Elana's Prayer
Rogues Creed
Winter's Caprice
Arch Priestess Laelia
Homecoming
Timeworn Mage Levi
Elf Knight Cynthia
Kaguya
Orb Dragon

I wanted to start with shadow anyway so I'm thinking I should just stop here and begin building anything else I want.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

i mean x3 cerberus you're p. much set as far as most shadowcraft decks go

and odin is p. good neutral legendary to have around

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
In today's climb to AA3...

Heal Haven mirror matches are really dumb. We both had 2 cards left when they finally managed to kill me.

Pulling off a Seraph win against Banner is insanely rare to say the least. Oh so satisfying though.

This PTP Forest spammed the "Sorry" emote once they got me to 2 health and cycled their entire hand with Altered Fate. I proceeded to eat an Earth Sigil with Veteran Alchemist, and walled myself against their Roach combo with a couple of Guardian Golems. Turns out they only had one PTP in hand. :smug:

Midrange Sword plops down Otohime, evolves her and trades into my evolved Siegfried. They even saw me use Dragon Emissary, but I guess they didn't realize their mistake soon enough. I just attacked with Trinity Dragon, passed the turn so they couldn't free up room for Aurelia or Sage Commander and then finished them with Forte.

The road to Master is such a huge grind. I really want to reach it before the expansion hits though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Autarkeia posted:

Alright, giving this a try. I'm not patient with the whole re-roll thing but on 4th try landed

Legendary
3x Cerberus
1x Crystalia Tia
1x Odin
1x Alexander

Gold isn't very impressive
Ghouls Banquet
Elana's Prayer
Rogues Creed
Winter's Caprice
Arch Priestess Laelia
Homecoming
Timeworn Mage Levi
Elf Knight Cynthia
Kaguya
Orb Dragon

I wanted to start with shadow anyway so I'm thinking I should just stop here and begin building anything else I want.

3 loving Cerberus and a Tia lol

Take that reroll and godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

trucutru posted:

Aria is kind of a necessary evil since, without it, Haven would not have a way to stabilize against a zerg rush.

Between Blackened Scripture, Snake Priestess, Temple Defender, and Priest of the Cudgel, I'd say Haven has plenty of answers to aggro decks

• Locked thread