Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the truth posted:

Got a random delivery today: Steins;gate 0. Totally forgot about it, but I loved the first one!

it's a good sequel, even if the new character it introduces isn't super interesting imo (not even grating or bad or anything, just not as interesting as the old cast)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

There are two Steins Gate VN games?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the new one came out literally today ya

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

I'm ready for more time travel shenanigans.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Just finished Chapter 6 of Trails of Cold Steel and after a bit of narration to set up the next chapter, even with the revelation at the end of the narration, I had to laugh when it ended with "Anyways".

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

you got a goofy looking vita

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Vita is awesome but why is the bottom edge also white? It's metallic on mine.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I kind of want to play Stein's Gate 0 but I feel like it'd be just a really depressing romp with characters that I got used to being all goofy and stuff.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

In Training posted:

The White Vita is awesome but why is the bottom edge also white? It's metallic on mine.

Looks like a white vita 2000

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
yeah mine looks like that except it's ice blue on the back/bottom

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

TV Zombie posted:

There are two Steins Gate VN games?

Technically there's at least 4, Hiyoku Renri which is a fanservice spinoff and Phenogram which has routes for every character from their perspectives and every character had a different writer but those aren't localised titles, and probably won't be.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have the PS3 trails games. Kinda wish I had gotten the Vita versions. Think anyone would trade?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Romancing SaGa 2 is still coming overseas, will need a few more months.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Why? No amount of localization work makes a SaGa game comprehensible

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't know it was even getting an English release so that's cool.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Insert text, break game. Such is localization.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Trails of Cold Steel is definitely easier now that I understand what quartz and crafts do

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Txn posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is definitely easier now that I understand what quartz and crafts do

How far in the game were you when you realized this?

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

How far in the game were you when you realized this?
First chapter. It's really different playing it in japanese than playing it in a language I can understand. :downs:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why play it in japanese then

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I imagine they probably played it in Japanese before it got an English release.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

why play it in japanese then
Because at the time I though Cold Steel wasn't going to get localized. I did the same for several other games, of which only four (I think?) never got localized. It's certainly fun and also doubles as a self-imposed challenge since I had no idea what I was doing (gameplay-wise) in some of them

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Takoluka posted:

Insert text, break game. Such is localization.

I still find that really amazing but I guess every game needs its handcrafted artisanal font so they can't just code in Unicode support and call it a day.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
lord knows how many games ive played in japanese with no knowledge of written japanese. sometimes you do well...sometimes the thing you need to get by was in your face the whole time but since you stand understand you dont know to talk to the person next to the one you are talking to.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So how do you use cross save? I want to move my save files of Darkest Dungeon around but whenever I try I just get an error message.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Midjack posted:

I still find that really amazing but I guess every game needs its handcrafted artisanal font so they can't just code in Unicode support and call it a day.

a lot of those fonts support a fair number of regions. and it's not terribly difficult to use different fonts for different locales if warranted.

maintaining a font rendering engine can be a bear, but the major engines all either have something that works fairly well or plugins for reasonable prices. then you just build a giant fuckoff lookup table or whatever for each locale. of course if you do this wrong you get situations like the PSX port of chrono trigger, where you do a linear time comparison of the full text you're trying to translate across every dialog in the game.

a lot of the time the translation team will just pass around an .xls with all dialog and notes on it. that can then be processed at compile time into whatever reasonable form you're using. the whole process really isn't that complicated, but it's very uninteresting on the programming side with a couple footguns lying around if you aren't careful in the implementation.

source: i've integrated translations into games. :suicide:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

translations being hard to implement is often on the original programmers, not the translators. a lot of these games just aren't made with localization in mind, even in cases where you'd expect them to know it's getting localized. so the code's very touchy, because it was never made to be altered.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

To give an idea, I've helped with a localization where too many letters in a single line would literally crash the game on the spot. The entire text engine had to be rewritten to substitute English lines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

translations being hard to implement is often on the original programmers, not the translators. a lot of these games just aren't made with localization in mind, even in cases where you'd expect them to know it's getting localized. so the code's very touchy, because it was never made to be altered.

That's kind of what I mean though I may have phrased it poorly. Text handling and display is pretty straightforward and video games have been around for long enough that it's a solved problem, and there's not much excuse for modern games to fall apart when you change alphabets.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Endorph posted:

It's like how that one Lost Planet spinoff game has all the text baked into the game in such a way as to render it impossible to translate

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's like how that one Lost Planet spinoff game has all the text baked into the game in such a way as to render it impossible to translate

Oh yeah, EX Troopers. All the text was textures. All of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh yeah, EX Troopers. All the text was textures. All of it.

Still makes me mad

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Well you can't have textures without text, after all.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Did any of you buy SAO Hollow Realisation on the Vita? Is it true that combat FPS is absolutely horrible?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Did any of you buy SAO Hollow Realisation on the Vita? Is it true that combat FPS is absolutely horrible?

There was a video of someone playing it, and it looked like the beginning area of a free MMO.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Takoluka posted:

There was a video of someone playing it, and it looked like the beginning area of a free MMO.
Good to know that SAO finally captured the essence of an MMO

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

it's hilariously bad even just walking around

https://youtu.be/7RVry9unaAw

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

How did they gently caress it up so much? LSong was ok but looked way better and HF even looked better.

It`s like the resolution is for the wrong aspect ratio baseline.

FPS is crap almost in every way.... That`s too bad I was hoping it was HF but better and more optimised. It`s very much not. Looks like merely turning the camera can make fps drop to a stutter for a second or two. Texture pop-ins.

Oh well :( Saved 80$ Canadian at least. Thanks!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

CrashCat posted:

He's trying so hard not to say "the vita version runs like poo poo", lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
How does Trail of Cold Steel 2 import a prequel save? Do I need ToCS1 installed so it's local?