Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Guy Goodbody posted:

It worked for the Republicans

They don't care about having a functioning government. It's easier to tear it all down if you don't care if they slice the baby in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Doctor Butts posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Hillary mostly ran on not being Trump, for example. How did that work out?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

quote:

“If you’ve got any suggestions that there is a real problem with the way the votes are tallied, put it on the table,” Graham scolded the president-elect. “You’re now the President-elect of the United States. If you really believe that millions of people voted illegally you should show some proof… No one has suggested to me that there’s evidence of what he said. And if there’s no evidence, please stop saying that.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/30/how-the-gop-won-big-in-2016-and-lost-all-control.html

Guys I keep finding Lindsay Graham reasonable. Between this and Glenn Beck doing a good impression of a sane person, I don't even know up from down anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

VH4Ever posted:

Hillary mostly ran on not being Trump, for example. How did that work out?

I still believe that it would've worked with another candidate.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Xibanya posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/30/how-the-gop-won-big-in-2016-and-lost-all-control.html

Guys I keep finding Lindsay Graham reasonable. Between this and Glenn Beck doing a good impression of a sane person, I don't even know up from down anymore.

Lindsey Graham immediately backed Sessions for AG, so there's your antidote.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

I'll copy paste the convo in a sec.

No, we're good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

Democrats as a whole ran on not being Republicans in 2014. It didn't work.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Guy Goodbody posted:

No, we're good.

loving classic example of censorship on display here on something awful dot com.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

All-Inclusive progressivism is a nearly impossible platform to sell because there's always going to be a bunch of resentment, either of the decadent ivory towers in the cities, or the racist bumpkins in the sticks. The best way of uniting the rural working class and the urban working class is to point that resentment at the suburbs and exurbs. For the city folks, explain that the *-urbs are fleecing them and trying to steal their sewer service and plow service without paying for it. For the rural folks, explain that the *-urbs are trying to move in on their family farm so they can build another golf course. I'm pretty sure it's clearly evident that a platform is more appealing when you give someone an enemy to swing at.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fojar38 posted:

It's true that I have no direct military experience and have to glean what I can from open source internet poo poo but I would ask why there are so few actual military people posting in this thread in the first place. (It's probably because like half of the regular posters are hostile towards the military or the idea of US foreign policy in general)

Only half? You're an optimist, aren't you?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're talking about a very different thing with midterms...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

FAUXTON posted:

All-Inclusive progressivism is a nearly impossible platform to sell because there's always going to be a bunch of resentment, either of the decadent ivory towers in the cities, or the racist bumpkins in the sticks. The best way of uniting the rural working class and the urban working class is to point that resentment at the suburbs and exurbs. For the city folks, explain that the *-urbs are fleecing them and trying to steal their sewer service and plow service without paying for it. For the rural folks, explain that the *-urbs are trying to move in on their family farm so they can build another golf course. I'm pretty sure it's clearly evident that a platform is more appealing when you give someone an enemy to swing at.

Agreed.

The book I'm reading right now highlights the idea that, for rural communities, a big part of their resentment stems from:
a) Power centers (in this case Madison/Milwaukee) 1. not understanding the difficulties of rural communities, 2. legislating blanket law that doesn't necessarily address rural needs/considerations
b) That they deeply value 'hard work' and are proud of the living they've carved out - that they view the cities as not having worked to the same extent but benefit from public policy more.

They may very well have a point when it comes to (a), but (b) is obviously a matter of perspective. I grew up in a very small town and I know full well how hard these individuals work - breaking their bodies over the course of their lifetimes, but naturally the work done in cities and in rural areas is different.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So I have a question about income inequality. Has there been any good study on how bad we are in relation to Rome noted bastion of inequality?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

hahah hey guys remember this

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/703733273504018432

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So I don't think there is any chance that Pelosi loses today but if she does, I wouldn't be upset.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Unrealistic Promises 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Guy Goodbody posted:

A few of them ran directly against Obama. All of those who did, lost.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SaTaMaS posted:

Unrealistic Promises 2020

People underestimate the irrelevant poo poo that voters vote on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Snowden is an idiot.

JOKES ON HIM THOUGH!!! TRUMPS CABINET HAS A FORMER GOLDMAN GUY IN IT!!! BOTH SIDES DO IT AM I RITE!?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Supposedly the filing fee in Wisconsin more than tripled to $3.5 million. Hrm...

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Eimi posted:

So I have a question about income inequality. Has there been any good study on how bad we are in relation to Rome noted bastion of inequality?

I don't know if this is a real question or not. I would suggest that trying to compare any 21st century nation with the empire of Rome is not the most helpful analysis. You can just look at the 1920s and 30s for a better idea of how things might work out for us if economic trends of inequality continue. That's just me. I'm sure it would make an evocative statement to compare against Bread and Circuses tho, which maybe would get people to see the point one would want to make.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Boon posted:

Agreed.

The book I'm reading right now highlights the idea that, for rural communities, a big part of their resentment stems from:
a) Power centers (in this case Madison/Milwaukee) 1. not understanding the difficulties of rural communities, 2. legislating blanket law that doesn't necessarily address rural needs/considerations
b) That they deeply value 'hard work' and are proud of the living they've carved out - that they view the cities as not having worked to the same extent but benefit from public policy more.

They may very well have a point when it comes to (a), but (b) is obviously a matter of perspective. I grew up in a very small town and I know full well how hard these individuals work - breaking their bodies over the course of their lifetimes, but naturally the work done in cities and in rural areas is different.

So what we say is yes, you are being fleeced by people living in cities taking all your wealth without doing work, but those aren't poor people who work just as hard as you. Those are investment bankers and CEOs and others who make hundreds of times what you make and don't care if you lose your job or not. Join us and let's go get your money and independence back!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'll be the first person in line to laugh at how badly idiots managed to drum circle and finger wiggle themselves into being completely ineffectual but Occupy Wall Street was a lot of people across the entire country coming together at the same time, for a very long time, with one pretty clear message "We're pissed off at the status quo and the elite that keep it that way". They even managed to bumble-gently caress their way into a really great slogan with the 99%/1% stuff. So what did Democrats do in the face of that kind of popular resentment and an orange skinned human middle finger to the status quo with a bad hairpiece? Literally "I'll be more of the same!" To really goon it up, OWS was the country going to yellow alert and the Trumpster fire is poo poo getting real and going to red alert. How bad do things have to get before that frustration is harnessed and pointed in a good direction?

Because someone is going to say what people want to hear, it might as well be someone constructive. What's wrong with saying loudly, constantly and everywhere, "Bankers are loving the nation, we're going to protect the people"? Republicans just proved you can have a serial sexual assaulting, racist, xenophobic thin skinned narcissistic man child blatantly and obviously looking to burn the country down so he can loot the ashes as long as you point out how the average guy is getting screwed. I'd much rather have that harnessed and pointed at the 1% than whatever shade of brown Drumpfy sees first that morning.

I mean I get that if you go too far and enter 'The People's Revolution' territory it can be bad poo poo, but it loving works and going high while they go low to victory isn't making things better for anyone who isn't straight, white, male and rich.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

horns.aiff as hell

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

bird food bathtub posted:

So what did Democrats do in the face of that kind of popular resentment and an orange skinned human middle finger to the status quo with a bad hairpiece? Literally "I'll be more of the same!" To really goon it up, OWS was the country going to yellow alert and the Trumpster fire is poo poo getting real and going to red alert. How bad do things have to get before that frustration is harnessed and pointed in a good direction?

Well pre-new deal we had the Great Depression and WW1 to give you an idea of the global suffering we're looking for. Hope for a nuke to go off I guess?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

My Linux Rig posted:

Glazier posted:

I love people who are like "Well our strategy hasn't worked for the last six years and our anointed Presidential candidate just got shellacked, but gosh darn if we just triple down on compromise and bipartisanship I'm sure it will work this time!"

Or maybe their realizing that identity politics isn't what the majority of voters are looking for, and they're focusing on economic policies instead

Look how both of you are arguing the same thing :hfive:

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
They're not "identity politics," they're civil rights. They're rights for human beings who are less fortunate than you, who are actively being threatened and harmed every day. So no, abandoning them is not an option, because it violates basic human decency. Acting like economic rights and class issues can't coexist is a blatant attempt to throw minorities under the bus, and I question whether the people suggesting this were ever really progressive in the first place.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

NewForumSoftware posted:

Well pre-new deal we had the Great Depression and WW1 to give you an idea of the global suffering we're looking for. Hope for a nuke to go off I guess?

I'm in a first strike city so if it happens I'm relived I won't have to live through the aftermath.

Old James posted:

Look how both of you are arguing the same thing :hfive:

No I'm not. I'm not saying give up on civil right at all. What I'm saying is that just saying you support a group while not doing anything to increase their quality of life is a failing proposition, look at the minimum wage for example. Employment discrimination against trans people is rampant, and in many cases legal, high turnover minimum wage jobs may be the only employment they can get. Telling them they should support you because the HRC does, even though you don't have a plan to help them make a living wage, is what turns them off.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 30, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

N. Senada posted:

I don't know if this is a real question or not. I would suggest that trying to compare any 21st century nation with the empire of Rome is not the most helpful analysis. You can just look at the 1920s and 30s for a better idea of how things might work out for us if economic trends of inequality continue. That's just me. I'm sure it would make an evocative statement to compare against Bread and Circuses tho, which maybe would get people to see the point one would want to make.

Honestly it's more for just personal comparative purposes. Like I think it's easy to get an idea of an elite Romans luxurious life vs an average person's because that starkness is more evident. Meanwhile comparing myself to a flapper is easier than the life of an average American at the time. I do agree it doesn't serve a purpose though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
for the second time i ask - what particular identity politics should democrats stop talking about

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Phone posted:

Snowden is an idiot.

JOKES ON HIM THOUGH!!! TRUMPS CABINET HAS A FORMER GOLDMAN GUY IN IT!!! BOTH SIDES DO IT AM I RITE!?

lol, oops

https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/803753557509816320

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

paranoid randroid posted:

for the second time i ask - what particular identity politics should democrats stop talking about

How many celebrities endorse them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Phone posted:

How many celebrities endorse them.

okay, and...?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

These loving morons will find another reason to vote for republicans going forward. I wouldn't read too much into this.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
like please, convince me that "identity politics" isnt just another moron-phatic for people to hyperventilate over, and decrying it isnt just One Weird Trick the Coastal Elites Dont Want You to Know

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The real problem is that us poors are bickering among ourselves for the table scraps. It's very easy to look at a $15 minimum wage and say "that's almost as much as I make...all they're doing is flipping burgers. They shouldn't make that much." But there's no corresponding message for the rest of the workforce. Where is the "the baseline wage should be $15/hr, and if you make close to that you should be getting a raise to keep your salary competitive" message?

Corporations are making profits hand over fist. They make their profits off the backs of our work but we are squabbling with each other because "such-and-such job is so easy and I'm struggling too."

Edit: A candidate that came out and said, "I'm going to raise your wage, you will make more money under my administration." would win, hands down...doesn't even matter if it's a bold faced lie.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 30, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

These loving morons will find another reason to vote for republicans going forward. I wouldn't read too much into this.

This is unfortunately true.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

You asked what identity politics should be abandoned. What were you expecting?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

paranoid randroid posted:

like please, convince me that "identity politics" isnt just another moron-phatic for people to hyperventilate over, and decrying it isnt just One Weird Trick the Coastal Elites Dont Want You to Know

it's not so much decrying it or anything like that as it is about running a campaign based on "we're not running a misogynist racist" instead of "we're going to take on corporate America to fix things for Americans". Ironically Donald Trump ran on the second and won even if most liberals don't venture outside their media bubble to realize it. Probably something to do with HRC just running endless ads with DJT talking instead of actually saying something positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's so clear with Trump's team of billionaires that the democrats need to make class politics front and center going forward. It's a great opening but I don't know if the Chuck Schumer led party can seize it...

• Locked thread