Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Al! posted:

youre thinking of chuck tingle

Pounded in the Butt By The Mainstream Media Covering Donald Trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think they got pounded in the butt tbh

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

comingafteryouall posted:

Yeah MSM really hates covering any kind of actual issues but their gossip coverage of Trump was harsh. Unfortunately, Trump defined the argument for the issues of the economy and trade so people who honestly don't care about the president doing terrible things in his personal life and are OK with him saying "politically incorrect" (aka racist or xenophobic) things were totally on board and no amount of stupid gossip coverage was going to change their minds.

Pretty much this.

You know just as well as I do that they'll do exactly what happened when Bush was in office and stop any claim the person is lying once they win and are actually in office. They'll talk about breaches of decorum and obsess over it because that offends their 'journalistic sensibilities' but they'll immediately legitimize his ideas simply by repeating them because in their minds you can't say "Hey, by the way, what he's proposing is illegal".

gently caress, you could see it on CNN LITERALLY as he was winning. Once Wisconsin was called on election night the rhetoric changed and did a 180 from "I can't believe this fucker is running" to "Well he's the president and as a newscaster with facts I have to admire his surprise winning streak".

This same thing happened with Bush who would do something no one gives a gently caress about like making up a word or something, meanwhile they'd refuse to say "by the way, there's zero actual evidence Saddam has nuclear weapons, and even if he did the first thing he'd do if we invaded is loving use them when he loses."

Like, no one gives a gently caress about his financial conflicts of interest. Bush had them. Clinton had them. HW had them. Reagan had them. Obama probably does if I had to guess but I honestly don't loving know.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

euphronius posted:

Chuck Todd is the like the chief news person at cbs right

he's an MSNBC boy so he has no excuse to be so non-committal about criticizing the president

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SpaceGoku posted:

he's an MSNBC boy so he has no excuse to be so non-committal about criticizing the president

They are all making GBS threads themselves about access

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

mugrim posted:

I saw Chuck Todd last night literally asking "If Trump says things we know to be untrue, should we report it at all? How can you cover something that's not true but also be a good journalist by telling people exactly what the president says? Newscasters can't just say the president is lying that'd be editorializing".

All I could think is "This, this is why everyone loving hates the media".

Sleepy Eyes Chuck...

Ugh tho, 4 real.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

To be fair, they covered him extremely negatively. It was always about the dumb poo poo he said and after the pussy grabbing comments came out, they actually shifted to a "can he even compete now?" narrative.

The MSM was not kind to him at all, they just covered his many, many gaffes extensively. And if we're being really honest, if he were a normal Republican candidate we would have had WEEKS of watching Clinton tossed into a van like a loving lawn dart played on a loop but it lasted like a day or two and we were right back to Trump saying stupid poo poo.

To be fair? Yer fkn taking the piss m8 :chloe:

It was tabloid journalism for rating milkage and even Trump shuttered Clinton out on coverage. People were eating this poo poo up while the rest are like Jobs tho??? And the Media is "10 things Trump did that wuz absolutely curazee!!!" Plus Trump is a shithead who did bad things which is why he got negative coverage and then he gets all pouty because his actions have consequences.

You're talking about an rear end in a top hat who dodged taxes because it makes him smart, and was able to declare bankruptcy 4 times and walk out without a dent. Culpability is not his thing, and the issue here is not his negative coverage. The issue here is that the MSM just went "look at that bad thing, huh that was pretty wild right? (please click our articles)" They both are garbage at culpability, thats the one thing they have in common.

They could be besties, really because of all the symbiosis and commonality they share. But the cosmos has an ironic sense of humor, and alas~ :ocelot:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Al! posted:

i think they got pounded in the butt tbh

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

SpaceGoku posted:

I wish their coverage of him was purely negative (or even just mostly negative)

they did their DAMNDEST to cover all his scandals in a way that was either close to neutral (people are saying, critics are saying, whatever) or outright equivocating trumps poo poo with clinton being kind of genericly crappy

remember when major news networks were airing live footage of the podium trump was DUE to speak at sometime back in like august or september?

literally just media dipshits yammering endlessly trying to fill dead air over footage of an empty podium

airing his rally speeches live, commercial free, without even mentioning anything else

doing everything they can to avoid taking a significant stance on things until the absolute basics of decency forced them to offer commentary and analysis in the most cowardly way possible "it's bad to do sex assault!"

like what the gently caress

everyone knows that's bad

children know that's bad

that's not brave, that's not taking a stand, that's not even standing up, that's not even tying your shoes, that's not even getting out of bed

completely utterly profit driven at the expense of democracy, truth, hell at even their own legitimacy and future security because in allowing trump to set the narrative so thoroughly they have surrendered to his claims that they are corrupt and deceitful

this is also true. It's another form of gossip coverage. "What outrageous thing is Trump going to say next?" was the modus operandi for the MSM the entire election. They could have focused coverage on any number of Eichenwald or washington post articles but chose to ignore those issues.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

They are all making GBS threads themselves about access

they already know all the access they'll ever get is at twitter.com/realdonaldtrump so idk what's stopping them

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

It was tabloid journalism for rating milkage

this is all mainstream news atm

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

logikv9 posted:

zoux is a exception because he had an epic meltdown

What was his meltdown

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

this is all mainstream news atm

yer still looking at the telescope the wrong way 'round fam

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

since this is the Democratic thread

Nancy Pelosi beats back challenge, is chosen as House Democratic leader

quote:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) on Wednesday won the race to lead the Democratic caucus for an eighth term, prevailing in a contest that became a vote of confidence in her continued stewardship and an early proxy battle over the future of the Democratic Party.

Pelosi easily toppled Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), a seven-term lawmaker who launched an upstart bid to lead House Democrats two weeks ago in response to the party’s disappointing November election results.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5fcef229426a

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Grondoth posted:

What was his meltdown

Being zoux

Fun tip for people browsing the old Dem thread: Count the times someone called zoux a bad poster and ate a 6er for it lol

Hail Mr. Satan! has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Nov 30, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

mugrim posted:

I saw Chuck Todd last night literally asking "If Trump says things we know to be untrue, should we report it at all? How can you cover something that's not true but also be a good journalist by telling people exactly what the president says? Newscasters can't just say the president is lying that'd be editorializing".

All I could think is "This, this is why everyone loving hates the media".

This is some of the stupidest loving poo poo I've read this week, in a week already full of stupid poo poo. Reporting facts is not loving editorializing, you dipshit. Providing context is not loving editorializing. Helping your viewers understand the situation you are reporting on is not loving editorializing. Uncritically repeating poo poo you know to be false is loving stupid, though, and just as much a derilection of your journalistic duties as "editorializing" would be!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Grondoth posted:

What was his meltdown

he probated a mod who probated him

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Did he ask someone to prove they were black again

(FUN NOTE: The guy who was asked to prove he was black asked SOMEONE ELSE to prove they were black cause they liked Sanders. D&D really was a historically bad place during this election.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Grondoth posted:

(FUN NOTE: The guy who was asked to prove he was black asked SOMEONE ELSE to prove they were black cause they liked Sanders. D&D really was a historically bad place during this election.)

lol this sounds like weird leftist purge scenario already

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

...I want to go to a goddamn fish fry now. Thank you, the thread.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Grondoth posted:

The USPol thread RIGHT NOW is worse than any CSpam Dem thread has ever been and they were loving intolerable during the election.

docbeard posted:

...I want to go to a goddamn fish fry now. Thank you, the thread.

This thread actually is going to net me some lemon bars this weekend. I mentioned how it was making me crave them, and my friend is baking them in exchange for a favor I was already going to do for her.

Possibly the first real world consequence from CSPAM?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we wouldn't want people thinking we were biased in favor of any particular perspective, that would be irresponsible journalism *dunks head into a barrel of own farts while fascists and white supremacists are appointed to every position of political power*

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fullhouse posted:

we wouldn't want people thinking we were biased in favor of any particular perspective, that would be irresponsible journalism *dunks head into a barrel of own farts while fascists and white supremacists are appointed to every position of political power*

imagine I posted the antifa person yelling and hitler being soft spoken comic here.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

this is also true. It's another form of gossip coverage. "What outrageous thing is Trump going to say next?" was the modus operandi for the MSM the entire election. They could have focused coverage on any number of Eichenwald or washington post articles but chose to ignore those issues.

Ignoring Eichenwald? Sounds good to me.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Grondoth posted:

ughh

no he just posted twitters of berniebros being upset and invited the hillbots to circlejerk smugly over it for a while, among other tweets

that was it

here you go

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

since this is the Democratic thread

Nancy Pelosi beats back challenge, is chosen as House Democratic leader

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.5fcef229426a

This is somewhere between a toxic relationship and the Definition of Insanity. Our best representative is a septagenerarian billionaire with the charisma of antique roadkill and their opinion is "Don't feel bad about November!"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

jesus christ :negative:

I love this sub-forum

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

This is somewhere between a toxic relationship and the Definition of Insanity. Our best representative is a septagenerarian billionaire with the charisma of antique roadkill and their opinion is "Don't feel bad about November!"

when you've literally lost everything, your best option is to stay the course

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Golden Bee posted:

when you've literally lost everything, your best option is to stay the course

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Grondoth posted:

We will be the change we must see. At some point that swamp will evaporate.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

You don't really need your legislative leaders to be charismatic though, nobody is gonna let Pelosi run for president

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
pelosi and reid were the best

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Nancy Pelosi's job is to keep cohesiveness among House Democrats, a task which she has performed admirably.

The fact that she's a lightning rod for attacks from the right shouldn't factor into it at all. I'll agree that her response the other night on MSNBC was bizarre ("He didn't win his district for Hillary so he sucks"), but it's not a reason to drum her out of leadership.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

loquacius posted:

You don't really need your legislative leaders to be charismatic though, nobody is gonna let Pelosi run for president

So what would be the criteria for firing leadership, if "losing the last two cycles" isn't enough?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

robert morrow should be the speaker of the house

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fortunately Pelosi is really really good at raising money from good and rear end in a top hat people, but it isn't Pelosi's fault November happened, versus anybody else with direct control over the day-to-day of the '16 Clinton campaign. The coasts have been blamed, but the coasts voted the way they said they would actually vote.

edit: I guess right now GOP fundraising emails name Pelosi, it won't be long before they name Ellison constantly.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Nonsense posted:

I love this sub-forum

Me too~

We had a good run :hfive:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

So what would be the criteria for firing leadership, if "losing the last two cycles" isn't enough?

it isn't the house minority leaders job to win elections for other representatives, that's on the DNC and all their weird committees and underling organizations which have mostly existed to vacuum up money from donors. it is, however, her job to prevent the majority coalition from passing whatever nonsense garbage legislation they get passed down from business lobbyists and conspiracy theorists, which she's been pretty good at in the past

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

You can't really trace that to the House leadership either. Her job is to keep Democratic congressmen who have already been elected in line and make them vote for things, or not, as necessary. She has no connection to Presidential elections other than that she's a prominent enough name that Republicans hate her, which is true for any Democrat whose name they know. Replacing her wouldn't really accomplish anything beyond a symbolic protest.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
shooting yourself in the hand because your legs couldn't finish the marathon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Nonsense posted:

edit: I guess right now GOP fundraising emails name Pelosi, it won't be long before they name Ellison constantly.

can you believe the dems picked a gay communist islamist to be their king?!?!?! says breitbart

• Locked thread