Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The surest indication that nothing matters in Trump's America:

quote:

No Charges in Killing of Keith Lamont Scott, Whose Police Encounter Was Videotaped by Wife

A North Carolina officer who fatally shot a black man in September, prompting days of violent protests, "acted lawfully" and will not be charged in the death, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Officer Brentley Vinson, who is also black, shot Keith Lamont Scott, 43, in a parking lot as officers were preparing to serve an arrest warrant against someone else. Vinson has said he saw Scott rolling a marijuana joint and holding a gun, and fired at him out of concern for public safety.

The case gained national notoriety after Scott's wife, Rakeyia, shared cellphone video she took of the moments leading up to the killing, in which she begs officers not to shoot her husband.

"It is my opinion that Officer Vinson acted lawfully when he shot Mr. Scott," Mecklenburg County District Attorney Andrew Murray said at a news conference. "He acted lawfully."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is normal in America, you're not doing anyone favors by over-dramatizing the impacts of the election

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just think it's silly to point to Sanders as the future of the progressive left. 2016 was not a good measure of the talent pool for left-wing candidates in the United States. Sanders was a better choice than Clinton, but that doesn't make him the right choice. It makes him the better of two options. You know who else was the better of two options? Hillary Clinton.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just think it's silly to point to Sanders as the future of the progressive left. 2016 was not a good measure of the talent pool for left-wing candidates in the United States. Sanders was a better choice than Clinton, but that doesn't make him the right choice. It makes him the better of two options. You know who else was the better of two options? Hillary Clinton.

So what you're saying is Democrats are dumb?

:agreed:

also lol at "Sanders was a better choice but maybe not the right choice" thank you for just posting the argument for protest voters in swing states as if its real

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

This isn't Trump's America, this is just America.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When I say "better choice" I mean "more closely aligns with my politics" rather than "more electable," because I think that's a game of hypotheticals that isn't useful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FactsAreUseless posted:

He himself isn't the future just due to his age. But his policies are.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

mcmagic posted:

So I guess Nancy Pelosi gets to be House leader for life no matter what the results of elections are.

She's done a good job keeping the Dem minority in line in the House. And the Dems gained seats.

Establishment? Sure, but she does her job well.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

2016 was not a good measure of the talent pool for left-wing candidates in the United States.

Will 2020 be any better?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

When I say "better choice" I mean "more closely aligns with my politics" rather than "more electable," because I think that's a game of hypotheticals that isn't useful.

What does "he was the better option but not the right choice" mean?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

So what you're saying is Democrats are dumb?

:agreed:
No, I'm saying looking to Sanders for the future is to extend the Democratic primary into future choices, which means ignoring potentially better candidates.

mcmagic posted:

He himself isn't the future just due to his age. But his policies are.
Or similar ones, yeah. I think agreeing on what policies should define the mainstream American left going forward is more important than who specifically should represent them right now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Trump's really raiding the poo poo out of Goldman Sachs right now with appointments. This is concerning for a variety of reasons but also him nominating Welber Ross is loving atrocious pick for Secretary of Commerce. Like the prisoners have been given the keys to the prison at this point and I can't foresee us having another financial crisis because of these appointments.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

kelvron posted:

She's done a good job keeping the Dem minority in line in the House. And the Dems gained seats.

If she's willing to get out of the way of progressive reforms and make her primary job to ensure Trump is a one term President she will have my support.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kelvron posted:

She was a MUCH better speaker than Minority Leader.

Glazier posted:

If she's willing to get out of the way of progressive reforms and make her primary job to ensure Trump is a one term President she will have my support.

She has no power to stop anything Trump does.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

NewForumSoftware posted:

Maybe someone like Bernie Sanders?

Yep shoving an unpopular candidate down the throat of the democratic party is sure to work the second time around!

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I voted for Obama in the primaries eight years ago and rather unexcitedly voted for Clinton this time. I definitely agree we could have done better this year, and there should have been a bigger field of candidates, but Hillary was still the best choice on the ballot.

kenner116 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 30, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

What does "he was the better option but not the right choice" mean?
Sorry, that's ambiguously worded. Two different periods of time. I preferred Sanders to Clinton in the primary, but I don't know that he's the right choice to represent the left in the future. He could be, but 2016 didn't present us with a ton of choices. I just don't think we should anoint someone ahead of time, because that's how the Democrats ended up with Clinton.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should just drop the pretense and admit he died because he was a black man and living

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, I'm saying looking to Sanders for the future is to extend the Democratic primary into future choices, which means ignoring potentially better candidates.

News flash, he can endorse a new candidate and probably will in 2016.

quote:

Or similar ones, yeah. I think agreeing on what policies should define the mainstream American left going forward is more important than who specifically should represent them right now.

Who is saying otherwise?

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't know that he's the right choice to represent the left in the future

We're talking about his policies, not the person

kenner116 posted:

I voted for Obama in the primaries eight years ago and rather excitedly voted for Clinton this time.

This right here is why the Democrats lost the election fyi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sorry, that's ambiguously worded. Two different periods of time. I preferred Sanders to Clinton in the primary, but I don't know that he's the right choice to represent the left in the future. He could be, but 2016 didn't present us with a ton of choices. I just don't think we should anoint someone ahead of time, because that's how the Democrats ended up with Clinton.

No. They ended up with Clinton because of personality politics. The primary had nothing to do with policy whatsoever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why I'm voting Cloud Strife of the AVALANCHE Party come 2020. We need a candidate with strong, blond hair.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah maybe.

Work harder on his primary next time.

...he said, willfully ignoring all the shady bullshit pulled by the HRC campaign and the DNC.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

They should just drop the pretense and admit he died because he was a black man and living

Pretty much. I originally thought it was the Walter Scott case when I first saw the article since it was the same state and last name but that hasn't gone for a verdict yet.

readingatwork posted:

...he said, willfully ignoring all the shady bullshit pulled by the HRC campaign and the DNC.

Regardless of whatever they did losing by a couple million votes in the primary means you aren't getting the nomination unless you're saying there was ~primary fraud~ :trumppop:

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 30, 2016

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

mcmagic posted:

She has zero power unlike Schumer so her only job description is "Win More Elections" and she's doing a terrible job of that.

minority leader isn't a campaign position, it's a political position, and her heavy support among democrats in congress should point to how well trusted she is to run things there.

nancy pelosi successfully kept the democratic minority unified after the 2004 election, and was able to break off enough republican congressmen to save, among other things, social security from being privatized. her success in the house most likely contributed significantly to the 2006 wave election.

i'll also point out that she is by no means a centrist. she is consistently left on nearly every vote she's cast or bill she's worked toward, including economic issues.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

She was a MUCH better speaker than Minority Leader.

She has no power to stop anything Trump does.

Yes she does, she has a national platform. Get out there in every way possible and smack the poo poo out of the GOP at every opportunity.

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 30, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

We're talking about his policies, not the person
Then we're just talking past each other, because I'm responding to an argument not being made. Downsides of a forum-based discussion.

mcmagic posted:

No. They ended up with Clinton because of personality politics. The primary had nothing to do with policy whatsoever.
I was referring to the idea that Clinton was basically the party's chosen candidate well before the primary. "I don't think we should anoint someone ahead of time" being the phrase. Not talking about why she was chosen, just that it was clearly a done deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was referring to the idea that Clinton was basically party's chosen candidate well before the primary. "I don't think we should anoint someone ahead of time" being the phrase. Not talking about why she was chosen, just that it was clearly a done deal.
OK that's exactly what i've been saying for years. It was pure political malpractice.

Venuz Patrol posted:

minority leader isn't a campaign position, it's a political position, and her heavy support among democrats in congress should point to how well trusted she is to run things there.

nancy pelosi successfully kept the democratic minority unified after the 2004 election, and was able to break off enough republican congressmen to save, among other things, social security from being privatized. her success in the house most likely contributed significantly to the 2006 wave election.

i'll also point out that she is by no means a centrist. she is consistently left on nearly every vote she's cast or bill she's worked toward, including economic issues.

It has to be a political position when you have no actual legislative power. Her policy positions, while pretty good, are completely meaningless. Everything she does has to be about winning elections and she has failed miserably at that.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

This right here is why the Democrats lost the election fyi

I meant to type unexcitedly, but spell check didn't like it. I wasn't a big Clinton fan eight years ago and even briefly entertained voting for McCain if she had beaten Obama (I would have definitely voted for her though).

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Then we're just talking past each other, because I'm responding to an argument not being made. Downsides of a forum-based discussion.

It helps if you quote the posts you're responding to for this reason. I don't know of anyone who seriously thinks Bernie Sanders is going to run for President in 2020. Beyond that, he can still be part of the party's leadership without being the President and I don't see why you'd be apprehensive to embrace something like that.

kenner116 posted:

I meant to type unexcitedly, but spell check didn't like it. I wasn't a big Clinton fan eight years ago and even briefly entertained voting for McCain if she had beaten Obama (I would have definitely voted for her though).

Why would you vote for her in the primary though? Bernie was a much better choice

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
To be honest there seems to be absolutely no one with political talent on the left in any country anywhere in the world at the moment

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

Phone posted:

That's why I'm voting Cloud Strife of the AVALANCHE Party come 2020. We need a candidate with strong, blond hair.

we need more politicians with eco-terrorism experience

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

To be honest there seems to be absolutely no one with political talent on the left in any country anywhere in the world at the moment

listen here m8 ill have you know that Jeremy Corbyn is a towering colossus of charisma

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty much. I originally thought it was the Walter Scott case when I first saw the article since it was the same state and last name but that hasn't gone for a verdict yet.
You know it's a problem when you honestly get these cases confused because they are constantly happening

I feel bad for his girlfriend/fiancée today. She somehow managed to keep it together in order to record the whole thing and it didn't matter

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kaleedity posted:

we need more politicians with eco-terrorism experience

Shinra did Sector 7.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Surprise Giraffe posted:

It's almost as if the traditional institutions that were the base of political support on the left have been systematically destroyed over the past 50 years.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Yates posted:

2020 - George Clooney vs Donald Trump.

I've actually said this would be the best chance to beat Trump if the Dems want to punt experience out the window and hope Amal would be a good shadow President. Clooney would easily take back the rust belt states Clinton lost.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Phone posted:

Shinra did Sector 7.

TURKS is a Mossad front, get woke you mewling beta www infowars dot com

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

I've actually said this would be the best chance to beat Trump if the Dems want to punt experience out the window and hope Amal would be a good shadow President. Clooney would easily take back the rust belt states Clinton lost.

George Clooney is the poster boy for Hollywood liberal elites that Rust Belt assholes hate so much

kenner116
May 15, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Why would you vote for her in the primary though? Bernie was a much better choice

Bernie is OK but he wasn't a great candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

kenner116 posted:

Bernie is OK but he wasn't a great candidate.

I'll be honest I was expecting something pretty superficial and stupid but you really took the cake with this non-explanation.

• Locked thread