Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Skeezy posted:

I think that first time player card at the beginning was nice. They really want people to like this game. Its been a rollercoaster.

Yeah, I actually thought it was a very sweet touch. I've only played a couple previous FF games so I guess I fall somewhere inbetween but I thought it was really nice of them to welcome anyone who might be trying FF for the first time. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RatHat posted:

Noctis and Lunafreya are royalty, while Cid and Dave are some dudes out in the boonies.

Plumpo Argentina isn't royalty.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saint Freak posted:

He's a bodyguard to the prince, he isn't some nobody.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RatHat posted:

He's a bodyguard to the prince, he isn't some nobody.

He is a nobody though? Like, that's his backstory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cji-L0hu1Io

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Saint Freak posted:

He's still from Crown City, and I assume that "Prompto" is the Insomnian equivalent of "Dave"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's Insomnian-born and raised, so he's better than those dregs from outside the city wall

(of course then you have those born outisde like LIBERTUS so whatever)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

guts and bolts posted:

Some ticky tack poo poo:
1) Gladiolus especially, and really the whole rest of the party, are remarkably unsympathetic when Regis is apparently killed. They come off like huge jerks who have no empathy at zero hour of the event, and it's really jarring. Gladiolus even gets/makes a phone call shortly thereafter whereupon his sister's safety is confirmed, and he says something to the effect of "At least Iris is okay." Like, Noctis's dad just died and the kingdom is likely thrown into utter chaos, and nobody seems to give a poo poo except Noctis.

Possible(?) KingsGlaive spoilers: Gladiolus' dad is King Regis' main bodyguard, since they were super young, (he's in a photo you might have seen around this point) and I'm pretty sure he understands that if the King is dead so is his father. He seems to be taking it all pretty well

100% a KingsGlaive spoiler: His dad is dead as gently caress :rip:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Saint Freak posted:

I like that all the story characters have names like Lunafreya Apollonia Vedalia and Gladiolas Ipsum Lorem and then all the NPCs I meet are just like "Cid" and "Dave"

Hahaha my wife was watching me play and said the same thing.

"All your guys are named Gladiolus, Ignus, Noct, and Prompto, and that poor guy is just 'Dave'. His parents must have hated him"

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Gladiolas Ipsum Lorem

I love this new name you've given him so much.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Well to be fair

His name is David, not Dave

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Saint Freak posted:

He is a nobody though? Like, that's his backstory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cji-L0hu1Io

Good to know, haven't watched Brotherhood yet.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Played about 3 hours last night and finished Chapter 1. The cutscene that played at the end w/ no dialogue or really any explanation... is that what Kingsglaive is?

Or is that really it for that cutscene? Seems fairly important and its presentation in game was awful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

empathe posted:

Played about 3 hours last night and finished Chapter 1. The cutscene that played at the end w/ no dialogue or really any explanation... is that what Kingsglaive is?

Or is that really it for that cutscene? Seems fairly important and its presentation in game was awful.

Yeah, that is taken directly from Kingsglaive and is incredibly poorly implemented.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The whole sequence hunting a Behemoth in the mist was very well done, but the cover system caused me to lose a couple times. Am I supposed to HOLD square to enter cover or is it really just extremely finicky?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The whole sequence hunting a Behemoth in the mist was very well done, but the cover system caused me to lose a couple times. Am I supposed to HOLD square to enter cover or is it really just extremely finicky?

It's hold. For whatever reason you have to hold things to do stuff in this game, mere taps are unwanted.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

You can just stand behind the rocks, you don't actually need to go in to cover mode

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that is taken directly from Kingsglaive and is incredibly poorly implemented.

You know, gotta give them credit, this is the first time I can think of where a day one patch attempts to fix the story.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

With control scheme C, how do you keep a lock on an enemy? I know L1 will lock on, but that's if you hold it. What's the other button you hit in conjunction to maintain a target lock?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Hold actions have a little triangle over the button in the active help.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Thanks to Cor people with bad complexions are finally getting representation in video games

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zotix posted:

With control scheme C, how do you keep a lock on an enemy? I know L1 will lock on, but that's if you hold it. What's the other button you hit in conjunction to maintain a target lock?

Probably R3 like default.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Barudak posted:

You know, gotta give them credit, this is the first time I can think of where a day one patch attempts to fix the story.

Pre-patch did just nothing play there?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

empathe posted:

Pre-patch did just nothing play there?!

Apparently yeah they just wake up and it's like "lol, ur dad's dead!"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Zotix posted:

It's always the map button, so R1 in this case. I'm liking control scheme C the best so far.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

It's always the map button, so R1 in this case. I'm liking control scheme C the best so far.

Oh really? That actually makes me want to try control scheme C then. I didn't realize it changed it away from R3.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Are there any guides yet to what treasures to save vs vendor? I appreciate the flavor text descriptions but it sure would be nice to have a simple (trash that will never be needed for a quest) indicator.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I've spent the last six hours just boppin' back and forth between Hammerhead and the rest stop doing hunts, wandering around, and listening to bro banter. This is already worth my $60.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And I'm in Chapter 3 and reached level 20 doing so :toot: The boss was fun if really easy. I might need to consider not eating any food so I don't get all these stat buffs. Either way, bouncing around the arena and taking out snipers while breaking off the boss's appendages whenever they showed up was fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not surprised it was easy since the recommended level for the end of Chapter 2 quest is like...8? :v:
Beeline getting Chocobos in chapter 3.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The best way to reset your stamina while running is to just click L3 (or whateveryour sprint button is) once the green part of the stamina meter reaches the S in ST

works every time

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The actual easiest way is just to press it whenever Noctis starts reeling back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just got 3k experience for delivering some frogs, GOTY

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wish to god quests gave less experience because especially if you're abusing the super-easy experience boosters you're hilariously overleveled just by playing the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't bring myself to stop exploring. I beat the level 52 boss of the Mines at level 6. Cheese, yes but those 2000+ exp were nice. Two locked doors and some decent accessories for my trouble.

Game is way more fun than I expected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Really enjoying the game so far. The combat just keeps things interesting and driving everything forward.

The names are a bit on the nose if you know any Latin though. Prince Night along with his bodyguards, Ready, Fire and Sword, travel from the city of No Sleep to meet with the Princess MoonLove later they meet up with Marshall Heart. When I saw "Cor" I actually laughed out loud.

Still, beats the hell out of the weird names from XIII that I hated, Fal'cie and L'ciel and all that.

Notics throwing a hissy fit about his father trying to protect him is pretty dumb and kinda annoying. Dude, what do you expect? He's the king and he's your father. He did the best he could. Noctis' attitude doesn't really make sense, even for a haughty teenager prince.

ImpAtom posted:

I wish to god quests gave less experience because especially if you're abusing the super-easy experience boosters you're hilariously overleveled just by playing the game.

You're definitely not meant to do everything, which is nice so you can pick and choose the things that sound fun and skip things you don't want to do.

But it means if you do close to everything you end up waaaay overleveled yeah, especially if you use rest bonuses. I agree that getting overleveled is a bit easy to do and then makes the game a bit easy for awhile. They actually created a normal and easy difficulty, wonder if they could patch in a 'hard'.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 30, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

It's definitely a potential problem if you're a completionist.

On the other hand I actually find myself wishing that you didn't auto-level at chapter completion, since that kinda ruins any potential level 1 runs in the future (which I imagine could very well be possible without that given food buffs and being able to accumulate AP through a number of ways).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They boosted exp in the patch but it'd be weird to walk it back now

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Zaphod42 posted:

Really enjoying the game so far. The combat just keeps things interesting and driving everything forward.

The names are a bit on the nose if you know any Latin though. Prince Night along with his bodyguards, Ready, Fire and Sword, travel from the city of No Sleep to meet with the Princess MoonLove later they meet up with Marshall Heart. When I saw "Cor" I actually laughed out loud.

Still, beats the hell out of the weird names from XIII that I hated, Fal'cie and L'ciel and all that.

Notics throwing a hissy fit about his father trying to protect him is pretty dumb and kinda annoying. Dude, what do you expect? He's the king and he's your father. He did the best he could. Noctis' attitude doesn't really make sense, even for a haughty teenager prince.

You're definitely not meant to do everything, which is nice so you can pick and choose the things that sound fun and skip things you don't want to do.

But it means if you do close to everything you end up waaaay overleveled yeah, especially if you use rest bonuses. I agree that getting overleveled is a bit easy to do and then makes the game a bit easy for awhile. They actually created a normal and easy difficulty, wonder if they could patch in a 'hard'.

His attitude falls in line with pretty much every jrpg/anime protagonist ever.

"Ugh, I got this giant robot/magic sword/super power that is amazing but I DON'T WANT IT"

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah haha the kid should be happy his dad who he loves a whole bunch is dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Seriously though, nothing wrong with Noctis's reaction. If Regis knew the treaty was a farce then he should have done more to protect the people instead of just his son.

• Locked thread