Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Baby Babbeh posted:

Hey Toph, thanks for recommending Rules for Radicals. I bought it and read it cover to cover, and it's just about the best thing I've read this year. It manages to be remarkably clear-eyed in its assessment of what organizing is and blunt about the challenges organizers face, while remaining at the same time extremely hopeful and inspiring. It reminds me that no matter how bad poo poo is, it can change for the better if we fight for it, and that losing sight of this is ultimately why injustice succeeds. It's just really, really good, and a really important read right now.

Now I know what to bring to the White Elephant gift exchange that the local party is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

irlZaphod posted:

I guess I'll post about my limited experience.

Last year I got involved with the Marriage Equality campaign here in Ireland. I was pretty late to the party, I hadn't planned on getting involved but with about a month to go I just got so annoyed/stressed by the "debates" and the campaign being run by the No side (which was largely working the "Children deserve a mother and a father" bullshit) that I felt like I would go insane if I didn't. I attended a brief training/introductory session, and joined one of the local canvassing groups, which were largely organised by newbies to the political canvassing world. I was somewhat fortunate in that we were canvassing around Dublin suburbs, although even with that some people were pretty nasty. It was still a very nerve-wracking experience at first - basically going up to a stranger's door and coming out to them (having said that, we did have quite a few straight people canvassing with us).

Typically the advice for us was to just ask if they knew how they were going to vote in the Referendum, if they wanted a leaflet (which had various tv/radio personalities, sports people, etc on them), not to get into debates/arguments on the doorsteps because it would accomplish nothing. Obviously if someone had questions then you should answer them - the common one, particularly with the Asher's Bakers case up in Northern Ireland, I got was "What happens if you want to get married in a church?" Since the whole thing pertained to civil marriage and not religious marriage, it was a moot point.

The whole thing was exhausting - canvassing a few evenings a week after work, plus some stuff on Saturdays - but it was such a relief when the whole thing was over and seeing that the (again, largely grassroots) campaign resulted in a landslide victory.

Since then, the focus here has shifted towards abortion. We have an amendment in our constitution which protects the right to life of the unborn, which was added in 1983. In 1993, it was changed slightly to add an exception where the mother's life was at risk. There was an attempt made to remove that part, but it was defeated at the polls. Currently, we have several thousand women travelling to the UK every year for terminations for different reasons. A lot of these women are scared and alone, without any support. Recently, some have documented their journey on social media to raise awareness.

So far, we thankfully are not seeing much of a rise of far-right ideology here. There are some people, sure, particularly with the Refugee crisis and increasing immigrant population. They are being met with resistance by anti-racism groups (counter demonstrations etc...although one in particular sadly turned somewhat violent). The Government haven't done a great job of integrating new communities, but there are other organisations who do work with them (I have been involved with some groups who seek to use sports to promote diversity and inclusion).

Thanks for this story. I went to Ireland over the summer and thought, "I'd love to live here," but would be worried about some of the more conservative policies. I'm sure I'll never live there, but who knows! Good to see some grass roots and open minds.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Stinky_Pete posted:

In other news, I live in the East Bay, so there doesn't seem to be a lot of room for effective local footwork. I'm donating to ACLU and Standing Rock atm but I'd like to hear Ideas on what else I can do from inside my enclave

You can help get books to prisoner's at the prison lit project in berkeley, it's not exactly front-line directive-altering footwork but it's something.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Veyrall posted:

Well alright then
What's a good way to get this info? The rest of it I can probably get done on my own with little/no effort, but I have no idea where I'd start for finding elections/government positions in Mississippi.
The deepest. The Reddest. The South-est.

Edit: BUT, there's a surprisingly high floor on democratic voters here because there's so gosh-darn many African Americans and gay kids.
For special elections? Subscribe to your local newspaper. If there are any local news blogs read them. If you have neither, swing by your local government building and check in with the Elections Commission. Looks like these may be by county in Mississippi. Some have websites some don't. You can also check out sample ballots from the most recent election to see who's running in what and which offices were unopposed or unfilled completely. Elections Commission can also tell you how to get on the ballot and what the various rules are for funding etc. (This is where belonging to a party comes in handy. They will already know all this poo poo. If you're trying to run independent or third party you'll often have to do all the legwork yourself and the major parties employ lawyers whose sole job is to keep fucks like you off the ballot in any legal way possible. High numbers of signatures of registered voters required to be on the ballot is a tried and true method because they will challenge every single one. Illinois is a loving master class in this).

Because you are in small town Mississippi (and this goes for anyone in the hinterlands but can also apply to bigger cities) KNOW YOUR LOCAL HISTORY. There will be names that keep popping up, over and over again. These will be the movers and shakers of your area. The ones that own all the property, have streets named after them, buildings, banks, parks, public buildings. They will also sit on boards and hold various unelected but powerful positions (or their wives/children will). They will all know each other. Some will hate each other. Make it your goddamn mission in life to know all that poo poo. You'll be amazed what you can find out with a little digging at your local historical society. Like why the expressway runs through the neighborhoods it does or how come that one lovely company got the contract to resurface all the streets. If you're not good at this find some little old lady that loves genealogy to do it for you. They will be thrilled at the attention to their hobby and boy will they know some obscure poo poo that may come in handy. You may even dig up some poo poo some people would have rather remained buried. This is called leverage. You want this.

Then you get into the stuff that will make you feel all dirty and impure. Sucking up to the people in the above paragraph. Ingratiating yourself with them. Figuring out what they want, what their pet projects are (all rich people have them, some are less odious than others) and how to use that to get them to do what you want (make life better for people). This is probably more advanced than you are ready for, work on building up your base org first but if you like history hey, can't hurt to start laying some groundwork.

Remember that most people are hungry for COMMUNITY, a feeling of belonging. Give them something to belong to. Give them a place to go where they can find likeminded people. Bar, coffee shop, bowling alley, whatever. Pick a hangout and be found there. Do not denigrate social functions as a waste of time, they are how you build relationships, and while people may not give a drat about the party they will give a drat about Bill who was there for them when their car broke down or Jen who watched their dog when their mom was sick and they had to leave town suddenly. And if Jen calls in that favor by asking them to do some data entry, or show up for an hour or two at the local farmer's market to man a signature gathering table, or make some phone calls, they're a lot more likely to say yes.

You will during the course of this learn who the hangers-on are, who's only in it for the feels good man vs who your worker bees are, the people who are consistent, who show up, who get poo poo done. Don't worry about the hangers on, they will always exist. Just don't give them anything vital that needs to get done. These are the people you task to bring the cheese tray or balloons or whatever. The worker bees, cultivate them. Nurture them. LOVE THE gently caress OUT OF THEM AND SHOW THEM APPRECIATION. But do not try to make them do what they don't want to do. If Leslie loves data entry and is a goddamn machine at it and is your most dependable work horse, do not try and get her to run for public office or take on the position of secretary if she doesn't want it. Let her do what she's good at and makes her happy even if you think she'd be the best drat secretary of all time. Some people just like to show up, do a job, and leave. And those people are gold. Don't abuse them and don't go to that well too many times or they will suddenly stop showing up because you've burned them out. If Pat just wants to make cheesecake and talk about her grandchildren, by god let her make a drat cheesecake. Pizza gets real old, real fast and that poo poo's a morale booster. Make your people feel valued. Its worth more than a paycheck to volunteers. You should ALWAYS have at least one box of thank you notes on hand at all times. Emails do not cut it, especially with older people. Hand write that poo poo. IT MATTERS.

If you are not good at the social poo poo find someone who is or start learning (yes its a learned skill just like any other skill. You weren't born knowing algebra, popular people weren't born knowing what's in this season. Like math or sports some people are naturally better at it than others but it doesn't mean you can't learn. There are lots of books about it. 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' is the hoary old classic). How do you find someone who is? Think about your own social circle. Who never forgets your birthday or your mom's name. Who's always planning social outings. Who does everybody always want to invite and are disappointed if so and so doesn't show up? That's your boy/girl. Sometimes they are extroverted sometimes introverted. Extroverted ones are good for public office. Introverted ones are good for assistants who whisper you the name of so and so and remind you that their mom just got out of the hospital as you shake so and so's hand, call them by name and ask how their mom's doing.

Are you seeing a pattern yet? If you want people to care, you have to care. Not just about social justice or the environment or global communism now, but about PEOPLE. THESE PEOPLE, in particular. You need to know their names, their kids, their pets, their parents, their financial situation. What brings them here. What motivates them. What they're good at. Where they're weak. What they need to hear. What they want to hear. And when to deliver either. This is how you become effective. People are a resource but they are also ultimately what you're going through all this drat trouble for. And when you don't have money and you don't have power, people, dedicated people, are what will make the difference.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Oracle posted:

If you're trying to run independent or third party you'll often have to do all the legwork yourself and the major parties employ lawyers whose sole job is to keep fucks like you off the ballot in any legal way possible. High numbers of signatures of registered voters required to be on the ballot is a tried and true method because they will challenge every single one. Illinois is a loving master class in this).

I've been the rear end in a top hat who challenged signatures in this scenario. A guy switched parties a week before he started his campaign to run in an already crowded primary.

The best thing you get out of being in a party is access to the voter database. Why knock on every door in a neighborhood when you can just find the registered voters?

Edit:

Also, that's an amazing post, it should be in the OP.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 30, 2016

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Prester, I don't know if what I have the killer app you're thinking of, but I've been at work for the past year on creating a project-based social media platform. A lot of books of academic rigour only started to come out on the subject since 2011 and in addition to programming what I can, I have been reading all the research I could find: Jono Bacon, Kraut and Resnik, Trevor Owens, Wergner and White, etc.

What I've planned out is similar to what you have on a few fronts. One thing I'm working towards is to have a delineation between regular fully registered members and guest accounts who are invited into specific projects. Only fully registered members can create and host new projects, but guest accounts are low-commitment and have their account access and passwords deleted after either the project closes or they don't long in for more than 3 weeks. This was originally planned for dealing with the glut of accounts everyone has to randomly sign up for but forget about afterwards, which is a risk for hacking and pwning in the future, but this is also meant to get people invited into projects very easily by email invite without requiring the high registration standards accounts normally need. (Upgrading is always an option, of course.) The other aspect of it which is analogous to what you're proposing is the need for formal instruction within the system, which my research on communities of practice did point to. It requires ready-access to a complementary library system full of the necessary tutorial material, which frightens me because making the new forums is a challenge unto itself; now I need a searchable library catalogue to go with it. (Or so the research demands...)

Where we differ is I originally planned this for artistic ventures, not so much political ones. I'm not sure how well the two will generalize with each other. Obviously, I would be missing out on the specifics needed of the US political system. One thing I'm trying (but not yet succeeding at) is to allow for modular tools and add-ins for each project type. Obviously a project forum for an indie game would need a bug tracker tool, while another forum for editing a novel would need a tool for copyediting suggestions. What you'd want for political organization would have to be one of those same mods, but I can't even begin to imagine what the design for those would be.

It's also slow going and expensive, sadly. I first thought a platform of this complexity would be impossible to do in older languages like PHP and SQL, but using middleware packages sped up the process just enough to make it improbable rather than impossible. A full year of it now and I am still trying to get the bugs out of the low-level systems... I also need to upgrade my hosting from a shared apache to a virtual private server; which triples the monthly cost. Not to mention it is one of those paradoxes where the thing you need most to build it is the very thing to are trying to build. Like trying to make a hammer out of nails.

I never had any experience with either Chanology or Goonwaffe, so I'll wait until something is drafted before deigning to bring anything else I have to the table. But... while Goonwaffe is an untouched subject, academic research on Chanology does exist. It's a little mixed on the results of it though. Whitney Phillips has what is probably the most honest virtual ethnography on it thus far, and her account says that Chanology was equally as much of a success as it was a victim of its own success. (Goonwaffe is still fair game as far as I know.)

Morroque fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 30, 2016

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Oracle posted:

Remember that most people are hungry for COMMUNITY, a feeling of belonging. Give them something to belong to. Give them a place to go where they can find likeminded people. Bar, coffee shop, bowling alley, whatever. Pick a hangout and be found there. Do not denigrate social functions as a waste of time, they are how you build relationships, and while people may not give a drat about the party they will give a drat about Bill who was there for them when their car broke down or Jen who watched their dog when their mom was sick and they had to leave town suddenly. And if Jen calls in that favor by asking them to do some data entry, or show up for an hour or two at the local farmer's market to man a signature gathering table, or make some phone calls, they're a lot more likely to say yes.

You will during the course of this learn who the hangers-on are, who's only in it for the feels good man vs who your worker bees are, the people who are consistent, who show up, who get poo poo done. Don't worry about the hangers on, they will always exist. Just don't give them anything vital that needs to get done. These are the people you task to bring the cheese tray or balloons or whatever. The worker bees, cultivate them. Nurture them. LOVE THE gently caress OUT OF THEM AND SHOW THEM APPRECIATION. But do not try to make them do what they don't want to do. If Leslie loves data entry and is a goddamn machine at it and is your most dependable work horse, do not try and get her to run for public office or take on the position of secretary if she doesn't want it. Let her do what she's good at and makes her happy even if you think she'd be the best drat secretary of all time. Some people just like to show up, do a job, and leave. And those people are gold. Don't abuse them and don't go to that well too many times or they will suddenly stop showing up because you've burned them out. If Pat just wants to make cheesecake and talk about her grandchildren, by god let her make a drat cheesecake. Pizza gets real old, real fast and that poo poo's a morale booster. Make your people feel valued. Its worth more than a paycheck to volunteers. You should ALWAYS have at least one box of thank you notes on hand at all times. Emails do not cut it, especially with older people. Hand write that poo poo. IT MATTERS.

Bolding one of the most important parts in this good post. People are willing to volunteer time to help things that make them feel like they're connecting to an issue, or an organization. It, in turn, develops a sense of ownership over the organization. If you've got a person choosing to help you make up a flyer for your potluck instead of spending that time doing literally anything else, you've got a great resource. If you start getting more people together and clear tasks identified, you may want to look at materials on volunteer management.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

My landlord is a massachusetts state representative. Would it be overstepping my boundaries to ask him how to get involved in the democratic party next time I see him?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynice Job! posted:

My landlord is a massachusetts state representative. Would it be overstepping my boundaries to ask him how to get involved in the democratic party next time I see him?

Only if he's a Republican.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Only if he's a Republican.

Haha, no he's not. Just wondering if it would be appropriate - I haven't had many issues with him but I've never really tried communicating with a landlord about anything other than apartment stuff.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Misogynice Job! posted:

Haha, no he's not. Just wondering if it would be appropriate - I haven't had many issues with him but I've never really tried communicating with a landlord about anything other than apartment stuff.
He will likely be more than happy to point you in the right direction.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Misogynice Job! posted:

Unless he's a total scumbag, it'll be okay.
Let us know how it goes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Misogynice Job! posted:

I say go for it, as a fellow Massachusetts resident it would be good if he can provide any info.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Friend, you are in a perfect place for local activism! Check out APTP, DSA East Bay, and the upcoming #DisruptJ20 general strike in Oakland. Someone from each of those can direct you to further groups.

Check my post above and contact your representatives in both houses of the state legislature. Tell them you expect to see them supporting and advancing progressive/leftist causes like (list causes that are important to you - affordable housing? Infrastructure investment? Single payer health care? Police accountability?) and that they'll be hearing from you.

Also check the San Francisco League of Pissed Off Voters guide to "getting involved locally": http://www.theleaguesf.org/blog

Thank you! I'll start by seeing how I can contribute to Bay Area 350, also the local DSA chapters

Zesty Mordant posted:

You can help get books to prisoner's at the prison lit project in berkeley, it's not exactly front-line directive-altering footwork but it's something.

I will look into that as well.

Oracle posted:

concrete, detailed advice

Thank you so much for writing this out!

N. Senada posted:

Bolding one of the most important parts in this good post. People are willing to volunteer time to help things that make them feel like they're connecting to an issue, or an organization. It, in turn, develops a sense of ownership over the organization. If you've got a person choosing to help you make up a flyer for your potluck instead of spending that time doing literally anything else, you've got a great resource. If you start getting more people together and clear tasks identified, you may want to look at materials on volunteer management.

Yes, this is what I've realized for myself. I did a fair amount of canvassing but got burned out and a little distressed because it seemed like my only avenue for contribution. But there are all sorts of roles that need hands, as Bay Area 350's sign-up form showed me. I think it's super important to show potential volunteers that they can help in a way that feels more energizing than sacrificial

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
It's not a sacrifice if you're working to preserve/build/celebrate something you love and believe in. It's good, honest work.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Since the election I've become interested in getting more politically involved. However, I live in a rural area of what could easily be considered a red state. I looked up my county's division of the Democratic Party only to discover that it's website hasn't been updated since 2014 and it's Facebook page hasn't been updated since July (maybe no one has told them the bad news yet). I'm eager to start networking with other left minded people but I live in an overwhelmingly red part of the country and I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to reaching out to people. I want to get involved but I would like to meet face to face with people first.

By the way, I started reading "How to Win Friends..." and I'm enjoying it so far. I look forward to going through the rest of the reading list.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It can really be a drain though. Don't expect everyone to have an unlimited fuel tank, especially if you're constantly leaning on the same people to do difficult work.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Macrame_God posted:

Since the election I've become interested in getting more politically involved. However, I live in a rural area of what could easily be considered a red state. I looked up my county's division of the Democratic Party only to discover that it's website hasn't been updated since 2014 and it's Facebook page hasn't been updated since July (maybe no one has told them the bad news yet). I'm eager to start networking with other left minded people but I live in an overwhelmingly red part of the country and I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to reaching out to people. I want to get involved but I would like to meet face to face with people first.

By the way, I started reading "How to Win Friends..." and I'm enjoying it so far. I look forward to going through the rest of the reading list.

You may want to consider specific issues in your neighborhoood/community/city/county/region that interest you. For example, do you care a lot about food insecurity? Homelessness? Waste Management? Green Energy? LGBTQ? You don't have to pick all or any of these, but focus on something you care a lot about that you can devote energy to. Find out if somebody or some organization is already trying to deal with them in your neck of the woods. If they are, great. If not, who are the people nearest to you that do? Are they the next county, the next city, the next state? Can you call them and ask them for input on organizing around that issue?

If you can't find people that share your values exactly, try to find people that want the same kind of community you want (which is ideally one that is clean, safe, and inclusive).

If you really want to re-energize your democratic party apparatus in particular, Oracle posted something helpful earlier:

Oracle posted:

The next town hall is meeting when you call it, motherfucker. Call it for this weekend, offer punch and pie, and broadcast it everywhere you can. CC the demoralized so they can decide whether or not to show up. If they bitch about you coopting their organization, tell them to show up if they want to stop you.
Read the rest of their quote.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Angry_Ed posted:

I say go for it, as a fellow Massachusetts resident it would be good if he can provide any info.

Nthing this. I would like to get involved, but as is readily apparent, I'm awful at figuring out how.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Oracle posted:

A LOT OF GOOD STUFF
You are a loving godsend

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First off I want to agree with some earlier posts:

Anway, I'm involved with the International anti-fascist defence fund. We raise money to support antifascists around the world with things like legal fees, hospital bills, fines, et cetera that they incur because of their involvement in antifascist activity.
We've just released our quarterly report today:

quote:

Although things were (happily!) a bit slower this quarter compared to this past summer, The International Anti-Fascist Defence Fund was still kept quite busy. Since the beginning of September, the Fund has provided support to nine anti-fascists and anti-racists in five different countries at a cost of nearly $2000U.S. Of course, we blogged about each case so you can read up on all of them.

With the election of Donald Trump in the U.S., a lot of anti-fascists feel that things are extremely bleak. But the flip side to that is that people recognize how real the struggle is and are stepping up like never before to support and defend anti-fascists and anti-racists. Since the U.S. election, donations to the Defence Fund have been the highest since we started up over two years ago! This is important because as the forces of hate become more emboldened, standing up and shutting them down becomes more important and more high-stakes than ever, which means our Defence Fund and its mission becomes even more essential.

We are the only defence fund set up exclusively to defend and support anti-fascists and anti-racists the world over. We make all our decisions via consensus whenever possible and by majority voting when consensus is not possible. We report on all our activities on our blog, to keep the Defence Fund as transparent as possible.

To do this work, we rely completely on donations from people like you. If you haven’t made a donation to the Defence Fund already, now would be a great time to do that. Here’s how.

So, if you can't or don't want to join up with your local antifa, you can also support international antifascist action by donating some money every month or just once. Every little bit helps. :sun:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ekuNNN posted:

First off I want to agree with some earlier posts:

Anway, I'm involved with the International anti-fascist defence fund. We raise money to support antifascists around the world with things like legal fees, hospital bills, fines, et cetera that they incur because of their involvement in antifascist activity.
We've just released our quarterly report today:

So, if you can't or don't want to join up with your local antifa, you can also support international antifascist action by donating some money every month or just once. Every little bit helps. :sun:

There any links or contact info for if you want to form an antifa branch? I'm pretty sure there's a group where I live, but from I can tell there doesn't seem to be many in the US.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

N. Senada posted:

It's not a sacrifice if you're working to preserve/build/celebrate something you love and believe in. It's good, honest work.

No I mean for me, phone banking feels like a sacrifice because it's emotionally draining to me, but some people are able to do it for a long time because they don't feel as many qualms about solicitation. I had more energy for canvassing, and for facilitating others (walking fellow volunteers through the process, as well as simple things like setup/takedown of chairs and tables, manning booths, etc)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

There any links or contact info for if you want to form an antifa branch? I'm pretty sure there's a group where I live, but from I can tell there doesn't seem to be many in the US.

Any specific area? There are lots of antifa groups throughout the US, I can take a look for you if you want.
We've gotten a lot of questions like yours recently, here's a post we made about how to get in contact or start your own branch: http://antifainternational.tumblr.com/post/138607486119/looking-to-join-your-local-antifa

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

ekuNNN posted:

Any specific area? There are lots of antifa groups throughout the US, I can take a look for you if you want.
We've gotten a lot of questions like yours recently, here's a post we made about how to get in contact or start your own branch: http://antifainternational.tumblr.com/post/138607486119/looking-to-join-your-local-antifa

I'm in NYC, which I'm pretty sure has a branch but I don't know if it's still active. Question was really more for people who know they didn't have one in there area.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I'm thinking about going to the Inauguration on the 20th to protest, and bringing some socialist literature to hand out to other protesters who seem like they might be interested.

I don't intend on mindlessly handing these out to everyone I see--I would start conversations and try to gauge if the material would resonate with them. I have no idea what I would be handing out. Probably some kind of intro to socialism material, but cheaper than Jacobin's ABCs of Socialism.

Good idea? Bad idea? If a good idea, what kind of material would people recommend?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MizPiz posted:

I'm in NYC, which I'm pretty sure has a branch but I don't know if it's still active. Question was really more for people who know they didn't have one in there area.

Oh yeah, after rereading I see that now :v:
But yeah, that post has a bunch of answers on how to find, join, or start your local antifa.

Homosocialism
Jul 10, 2008

Ruzihm posted:

I'm thinking about going to the Inauguration on the 20th to protest, and bringing some socialist literature to hand out to other protesters who seem like they might be interested.

I don't intend on mindlessly handing these out to everyone I see--I would start conversations and try to gauge if the material would resonate with them. I have no idea what I would be handing out. Probably some kind of intro to socialism material, but cheaper than Jacobin's ABCs of Socialism.

Good idea? Bad idea? If a good idea, what kind of material would people recommend?

Pamphlets are only important to start conversations and give people something to look at to get contact information. I pamphleted my university about free tuition and I just handed out a simple piece of paper with some basic stuff on it and some contact information. The pamphlet didn't matter, what mattered was starting conversations with people.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Stinky_Pete posted:

No I mean for me, phone banking feels like a sacrifice because it's emotionally draining to me, but some people are able to do it for a long time because they don't feel as many qualms about solicitation. I had more energy for canvassing, and for facilitating others (walking fellow volunteers through the process, as well as simple things like setup/takedown of chairs and tables, manning booths, etc)

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to attack you. I just meant that when we are trying to motivate people to volunteer for a cause that we can sell it as part of a good life and not as a burden. I was not trying to be personal.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruzihm posted:

If you don't mind anarchism, to change everything is great and you can order hundreds of copies for free from here if you want: http://www.crimethinc.com/tce/

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

N. Senada posted:

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to attack you. I just meant that when we are trying to motivate people to volunteer for a cause that we can sell it as part of a good life and not as a burden. I was not trying to be personal.

I was surprised that you didn't see that meaning in my post so I expanded, is all

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

MizPiz posted:

NYC has one of the stronger Antifa branches in the country. They host regular meetings and events at The Base in Bushwick. Highly recommended.

I'm an NYC goon who has been hosting regular meetups for people who are curious about next steps after the election. PM me if you want to be included, everyone is welcome.

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016
It's really nice to see so much energy and hope so soon after the elections. I'd been in a funk for a little while and couldn't shake it. But because of this thread, I've emailed my local democratic party in an effort to volunteer and ordered some books from the OP. Thanks, guys!

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Fart of Darkness posted:

It's really nice to see so much energy and hope so soon after the elections. I'd been in a funk for a little while and couldn't shake it. But because of this thread, I've emailed my local democratic party in an effort to volunteer and ordered some books from the OP. Thanks, guys!

Stay strong. Promote the cause, keep the faith, grow the host. We're 2.5 million stronger than them, no matter how much Trump wants to believe we don't exist, and we can make those numbers and that passion count!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Stay strong. Promote the cause, keep the faith, grow the host. We're 2.5 million stronger than them, no matter how much Trump wants to believe we don't exist, and we can make those numbers and that passion count!

Yeah, but once you deduct all the fraudulent votes, we're nothing.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Yeah, but once you deduct all the fraudulent votes, we're nothing.
If we deduct all the fraud, Trump doesn't even exist, so....

In related news, apparently there's this thing called "rebel" cities, and I've been giving it a bit of a glance over.

Basically, you just start a municipal movement in the already heavily left-leaning cities and townships to just take over at a local level and implement your policies there, as well as implement a bunch of policies that make political skullduggery more difficult. SInce the Republicans are in power right now, and thus much more able to benefit from skullduggery, this hurts them way more than it hurts us.

It also helps to, you know, improve lives and all that other weird hippy crap like saving the world and not dying in a polluted hellhole.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
http://ctb.ku.edu/en/toolkits

Here's a resource about community organization that does not have language that seems radical. It can assist with community assessment, mobilizing people, and strategies to sustain efforts. I was reminded of it when I was looking at another thread. They use more practical language and try to offer literal steps to follow.

Fart of Darkness
Dec 2, 2016

Veyrall posted:

Rebel Cities

That reminds me of those libertarians trying to take over New Hampshire. Wouldn't a strategy of moving to wherever like minded people are just insulate and polarize people more?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I think it's great that those people who care so much about those issues are mobilizing and getting people to buy into the cause. Hell, they're taking political seats according to that article which is a critical step in getting your vision turned into a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fart of Darkness posted:

That reminds me of those libertarians trying to take over New Hampshire. Wouldn't a strategy of moving to wherever like minded people are just insulate and polarize people more?

Not if you're a minority. By concentrating in one area, they might get some actual representation.

• Locked thread