Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I could see a similar version of Medicaid being rewritten by Verma who seems to have big ties to the healthcare industry and some severe conflicts of interest.

She is however a capable person by all accounts:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/11/29/503762324/trump-picks-seema-verma-to-run-medicare-and-medicaid

quote:

"She's very resourceful and intelligent," says Brown. "But the question now becomes, 'What will be her marching orders as they relate to Medicare and Medicaid?' "

Verma's role in shaping Indiana's health care policy has had some controversy. According to a 2014 report from The Indianapolis Star, she has received millions of dollars from the state through her work with the Indiana government. She was also paid by Hewlett-Packard, a Medicaid vendor that received more than $500 million in state contracts. Government ethics experts told the Star the arrangement presented a conflict of interest.

Verma didn't immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did Gov. Pence's office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sander's message didn't resonate that much with non-millennial whites in the rust belt. His support base also became this fart-smelling group of insiders that turns off less physically active political people who always make it to the polls.

Also remember the time Ted Cruz beat Trump in the rust belt and democratic firewall? Beat him in Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and almost all remaining states.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 30, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
You all know there is a election thread. Right?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

NewForumSoftware posted:

Bernie was always more popular, his likability has dominated the field for a long time now.
He lost the primary to Clinton. He was not more popular, by several million votes.

quote:

Superpredators, DOMA, etc.

He have a thread on these very forums called "Negrotown", which is where black posters hang out since they get chain probated everywhere else. You should probably go there and ask them how they feel about those things, because you seem to have no loving clue.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Sander's message didn't resonate that much with non-millennial whites in the rust belt.

Yes it did. So much so that Trump constantly brought it up on the trail.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
gently caress it I am making a policy and appointment thread. You all suck.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

readingatwork posted:

Obama was actually pretty bad in a lot of areas if you look at his actions rather than his rhetoric. That aside the main complaint I've seen against Booker is that he's taken more money from the financial industry than any other Democrat, which is legitimately troubling if true.

This is mostly because he's from Newark, and the financial industry is one of the few things keeping that city afloat. IIRC his support of charter schools also stems from Newark Public Schools being total garbage as well

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

MacheteZombie posted:

Do you have evidence?

Well firstly, I wasn't talking about the primary in my original statement:

quote:

The problem is nobody can find a demographic that HRC beats Bernie in other than upper middle class Democrats(maybe Wall Street republicans), who are the ones who have the most power during the primary.

But no, I don't have any of the detailed breakdowns of the DJT vs Bernie polls and they would be laughed at anyways. Given how spectacularly HRC failed with minorities and the working class on Election night there's really no reason to think otherwise unless you're convinced that significant portions of that "old" demographic that went for Hillary would have preferred Trump to Bernie. I have a hard time buying that.

botany posted:

He have a thread on these very forums called "Negrotown", which is where black posters hang out since they get chain probated everywhere else. You should probably go there and ask them how they feel about those things, because you seem to have no loving clue.

lol if you think Superpredators was ironic

but yeah, if the official "black" D&D thread says something it must be representative of People of Color as a whole

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bhaal posted:

I've had a pretty dark turn of mind these past few weeks but I feel this is what we'll see. The conventional wisdom of stuff like "when you have one party congress & president, they cannot shift blame and will be held accountable" is to me part of the same category of other conventional wisdom that was tossed out the window starting with the primaries and on up to november 8th.

I can't sit back on the sentiment of "Trump has a few months to keep blaming things on the Obama admin, but after a while people will stop accepting that". I'm sure we can go back in time and cite many examples of this happening so I understand where it comes from and why there is confidence behind it. But I also feel it is going to be one of those things that many people relying on it will find another shock when it simply never comes true. One assumption that supports that idea is that as present day ills come up, people will start blaming those in power because they will see through any bullshit they try to spin. I don't have faith that assumption will hold up any longer.

I don't know if it's that spin has become that good, or if there's too much self selection happening in what news you choose to follow and what echo chambers you subscribe to, or what other factors might contribute but we're getting a president who will grift in to a donor's banquet for a charity he never gave a dime to, and when accused live on national television of tax dodging will counter with "well you let me get away with it". For a guy like that we rewarded him with our highest office, so no, right now I don't see a lot of people suddenly seeing through the bullshit during his tenure.

This is where I'm at. I think he's going to just say "I'm the best and anything good is due to me!" while the media and Democrats maybe hardheartedly protest but not that much or just doing the poo poo level "Trump says he solved the job crisis!" headlines bullshit they are doing now leading to people believing him or at least creating the impression he's not totally incompetent. Then he maintains a high level of support from white people while they wonder why their health care and social security mysteriously disappeared (probably the fault of Obama or Hillary). Then add in legal Jim Crow laws and it's pretty much done. I'd like to think that his lies would catch up to him but the media has shown they have no idea how to deal with him or is actively trying to help him in the case of Breitbart and Infowars while the Democrats are basically useless and seem to be already getting prepared to fold. How is that going to encourage anyone to come out in 2020 let alone 2018?

Right after the election I thought that the American people were fickle and would vote against whoever was in power that seemed to be screwing them because their life sucked but after stewing on it for several weeks and watching everyone that should be opposing him calling for civility and "giving him a chance" I think we are basically screwed long term until something catastrophic (climate change really catches up, large scale terrorist attack, Trump starts a war that affects civilians, etc) happens and then who knows.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 30, 2016

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Sander's message didn't resonate that much with non-millennial whites in the rust belt.

Nah, look at Michigan. He did great in many counties that went Trump in the general.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Glazier posted:

He brought it up because he was doing badly on everyone's radar there. Hence, as I mentioned, Trump losing or underperforming in rust belt states in the primaries to Ted Cruz

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Glazier posted:

He lost OH and PA to Clinton in the primaries.

NewForumSoftware posted:

but yeah, if the official "black" D&D thread says something it must be representative of People of Color as a whole

I never said it was ironic and neither do the black people you refuse to listen to.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

This is mostly because he's from Newark, and the financial industry is one of the few things keeping that city afloat. IIRC his support of charter schools also stems from Newark Public Schools being total garbage as well

Oh that makes it all A-OK...

NOT.

Still beholden to them and would do the same thing Obama did if he was faced with another bailout type situation. We can't let that happen again. I'd say there's a somewhat compelling argument for the bank bailout leading to Trump's election.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

I never said it was ironic and neither do the black people you refuse to listen to.

I don't know if you missed it but just calling anyone you disagree with a racist is kind of a dead end for success in America these days.

Tell me, are you the official voice for People of Color on the something awful forums? Do you have a manifesto I could read so my opinions are "good"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HorseRenoir posted:

Clinton started her career going undercover to enforce civil rights laws in the South and spent decades building bonds with the black community while Sanders spent most of his time in office holed up in one of the whitest states in the nation.

One of them is an actual ethnic minority, the other is not, but that got erased throughout the entire primaries so why start etching it out now.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

big juicy nectarine posted:

One of them is an actual ethnic minority, the other is not, but that got erased throughout the entire primaries so why start etching it out now.

Identity politics much?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Nah, look at Michigan. He did great in many counties that went Trump in the general.

If you count Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania as the Rust Belt, Sanders got like 2 million votes less in the rust belt than Clinton.

NewForumSoftware posted:

I don't know if you missed it but just calling anyone you disagree with a racist is kind of a dead end for success in America these days.

Tell me, are you the official voice for People of Color on the something awful forums? Do you have a manifesto I could read so my opinions are "good"?

(a) Clinton won the popular vote by several million, (b) no I'm not, and I strongly suggest you go talk to black people to hear what they actually think about all this.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

botany posted:

He lost OH and PA to Clinton in the primaries.

Yes, but he lost because the voting system specifically excluded people who weren't already engaged in establishment Democratic party politics. From now on, all Democratic primaries need to be caucuses with same day party registration.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

comingafteryouall posted:

Oh that makes it all A-OK...

NOT.

Still beholden to them and would do the same thing Obama did if he was faced with another bailout type situation. We can't let that happen again. I'd say there's a somewhat compelling argument for the bank bailout leading to Trump's election.

I think that Obama rolling over for the banks at the direct expense of the people they hosed pretty much led us to this point. I don't even think people cared that much that the banks were unpunished but Obama bailing out the banks because not doing so would have resulted in financial devastation but then leaving everyone else in the country at their mercy was outrageous. The stories of banks getting assistance then foreclosing on people was not a good look for the hope and change president. Add in the banks not giving a poo poo to the extent that they foreclosed on people that owned their houses since their poo poo was so hosed and then those people had to prove they owned their own homes. There's no way that saying more of that was going to be as popular again, especially when the next candidate had absolutely none of his charisma to carry it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

gently caress it I am making a policy and appointment thread. You all suck.

Thank God please

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Glazier posted:

Yes, but he lost because the voting system specifically excluded people who weren't already engaged in establishment Democratic party politics. From now on, all Democratic primaries need to be caucuses with same day party registration.

lol, caucuses are less democratic than primaries. It's not a coincidence that states that held both a caucus and a primary ended up with a Sanders win in a low-turnout caucus followed by a Clinton win in a high-turnout primary (that didn't matter)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Glazier posted:

That's a good post there. This is a specific policy that we still have the power to change.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are we supposed to ignore the fact that Clinton's historic unpopularity with white working class voters is why she lost the election?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

rscott posted:

Are we supposed to ignore the fact that Clinton's historic unpopularity with white working class voters is why she lost the election?

No. But that doesn't mean it needs to be brought up every time someone wants to talk about something else.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
oh look House Dems voted to retain Pelosi as minority leader because everything is fine and you don't switch horses in midstream

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

rscott posted:

It wasn't any one thing that led to the results as they were and her support from whites wasn't the smoking gun

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

(b) no I'm not, and I strongly suggest you go talk to black people to hear what they actually think about all this.

what makes you so sure I haven't?

I don't know what "talking to black people" means but I have plenty of friends who are ethnic minorities and shockingly, a vast majority of them supported Bernie in the primary over Hillary because she's, and I quote, "racist"

what do i have to do before I won't be called an out of touch white man by something awful forums posters? grovel before the abuela?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

oh look House Dems voted to retain Pelosi as minority leader because everything is fine and you don't switch horses in midstream

What is the rationale to replace Nancy Pelosi, beyond a generic "throw the bums out" sentiment? People keep saying Pelosi should go but they never say why, nor do they have any idea of who should replace her.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think my favorite thing from conservatives in the post-election time is when you confront them with how much voter suppression there was of poor and minorities they just say that you are the real racist/classist because you underestimate what those people could do to get around the suppression.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

HorseRenoir posted:

What is the rationale to replace Nancy Pelosi, beyond a generic "throw the bums out" sentiment? People keep saying Pelosi should go but they never say why, nor do they have any idea of who should replace her.

They should replace her with Tim Ryan, Hillary Clinton supporter and largely moderate Ohioan.

I can smell the change they want wafting over to me like a cool summer breeze

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HorseRenoir posted:

The 2010 and 2014 elections are why she should go.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

rscott posted:

Listen man, she won the primary!!! That has to count for something!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

I think my favorite thing from conservatives in the post-election time is when you confront them with how much voter suppression there was of poor and minorities they just say that you are the real racist/classist because you underestimate what those people could do to get around the suppression.

That's the point of voter id, to suppress votes while still sounding reasonable to the people who wouldn't be affected by it

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

Nobody seriously said that it was.

quote:

Yes, what would black people know about the opinions of black people? Obviously you know better than they do.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah it's not that Tim Ryan was a great alternative or even a better alternative, it's that no one better even ran and the House Democrats seem fine with this.

Compare and contrast Chuck Schumer being elected minority leader in the Senate. The Democrats have had their asses handed to them and their response, aside from maybe electing Keith Ellison DNC chair, has been basically to keep doing what they're doing.

Point being, if you were hoping for the Democrats to form an effective opposition to Trump between now and 2018, or to have a winning strategy for 2018, the window on that is quickly closely.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The 2010 and 2014 elections are why she should go.

Why do you think she has control over the course of those elections?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kilroy posted:

Yeah it's not that Tim Ryan was a great alternative or even a better alternative, it's that no one better even ran and the House Democrats seem fine with this.

Compare and contrast Chuck Schumer being elected minority leader in the Senate. The Democrats have had their asses handed to them and their response, aside from maybe electing Keith Ellison DNC chair, has been basically to keep doing what they're doing.

Point being, if you were hoping for the Democrats to form an effective opposition to Trump between now and 2018, or to have a winning strategy for 2018, the window on that is quickly closely.

NTM it looks like they are taking a complete pass on the LA runoff.

Trabisnikof posted:

Why do you think she has control over the course of those elections?

She has control of the messaging and how candidates are chosen. Both were complete and utter failures.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Khisanth Magus posted:

The soft bigotry of not believing in supervillains.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Booker ran, why wouldn't he change some of his less popular (with Dems) views to be more in line with what the voters (Dem base) want? It's usually what happens as a result of the primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Yes, what would black people know about the opinions of black people? Obviously you know better than they do.

The something awful forums are an echochamber and if you take any piece of it to be representative of America as a whole you are a moron.

• Locked thread