Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

flakeloaf posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm even talking about half the time, and up until recently I thought that'd be some kind of impediment.

This hasn't stopped politicians in the age of social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

flakeloaf posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm even talking about half the time, and up until recently I thought that'd be some kind of impediment.

And as anyone can attest, I have a rather bulbous rear end from which to pull things.

I've met our MP and MPP (the latter of which is the current speaker of Queen's Park) a few times at various events (usually ethnic) and it's always the same speech about how much they love the food, diversity, and hard work (blah blah blah). I could basically pull some of these speeches out of my rear end. Only reason I actually considered it (other than the salary and it now being someone else's responsibility to get me to go out) is because I actually believe in expanding OHIP to include optometry and dental, and to stop loving privatizing everything.

I actually bartended a fundraiser for the local federal NDP, and it was actually fun. Meeting actual leftists in this riding is kind of weird since it's not really a left-wing party (the actual labour movement left with the jobs a long time ago), but it was still fun. If it wasn't for the fact that a) the local NDP doesn't have a snowball's chance here because of the right-wing redneck and suburban 905 imports, and b) all the stuff I've said about how this town sucks, I'd run.

Maybe I'll move somewhere and try again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
How naked of a lie can you tell without flinching? How vigorously can you defend that lie in the face of concrete evidence that it is in fact untrue?

That's the real test of a person running for office.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Right now I can't think of any downside to rounding up right wing suburbanites into camps and suspending all their human rights

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mojo1701a posted:

If it wasn't for the fact that a) the local NDP doesn't have a snowball's chance here because of the right-wing redneck and suburban 905 imports, and b) all the stuff I've said about how this town sucks, I'd run.

Our local federal candidate's campaign was, as best as I can tell, "I'm an Aboriginal woman." She may have made other statements at some point or other, and I know for a fact that she's worked hard to get this riding association up and running after a pretty limp showing in the election-before-last, but most of her talking opints seemed to revolve around her ethnicity and as a white guy it'd be only a matter of time before my rebuttals landed me in bigotland.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Mojo, run on "I said this town sucks, and I'm running to make it better".

That said, you also need some notion of how to make it better that isn't "burn this motherfucker to the ground"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

*double post*

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

How naked of a lie can you tell without flinching? How vigorously can you defend that lie in the face of concrete evidence that it is in fact untrue?

That's the real test of a person running for office.

work hard enough and you can be like Chris Alexander who is vying for Conservative leader

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

Our local federal candidate's campaign was, as best as I can tell, "I'm an Aboriginal woman." She may have made other statements at some point or other, and I know for a fact that she's worked hard to get this riding association up and running after a pretty limp showing in the election-before-last, but most of her talking opints seemed to revolve around her ethnicity and as a white guy it'd be only a matter of time before my rebuttals landed me in bigotland.

Not if you're a white bi guy.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

infernal machines posted:

Mojo, run on "I said this town sucks, and I'm running to make it better".

That said, you also need some notion of how to make it better that isn't "burn this motherfucker to the ground"

I've also said on multiple occasions how much I hate "country" and all that rural culture crap. I'm toast.

Also I'm trying to leave.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
No point wasting a perfectly good pre-written speech.

quote:

The federal approval of the Kinder Morgan pipeline project shows that Christy Clark has failed to protect B.C.’s coast, says B.C. New Democrat Leader John Horgan.

“Instead of doing the right thing for B.C., Christy Clark put our coast in the hands of the Harper government,” said Horgan. “Christy Clark accepted the federal government’s secretive and inadequate review as B.C.’s review – despite knowing it would put our coast, and thousands of good B.C. jobs that depend on it, at risk.

http://www.bcndp.ca/newsroom/kinder-morgan-project-shows-christy-clark-failed-protect-bc-coast

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 30, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Postess with the Mostest posted:

No point wasting a perfectly good pre-written speech.

Find+Replace is hard, okay?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was prerecorded, probably a couple years ago.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Has there been any articles about the implications of pipeline expansion on Canada's Paris agreement CO2 targets, additionally taking into account the carbon tax? I thought I saw an article headline a while back about how the impact of the carbon tax would be minor compared to the CO2 generated from pipeline expansion but I can't for the life of me find it.

The government messaging portrays pipeline expansion and the carbon tax as if they're equal and opposite. I'm sure this is not the case.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
This came up in my news feed this morning and I thought it was worth pulling an excerpt and leaving it here. Doesn't particularly relate to anything that's been discussed here recently but in broad terms you could see it as another bit of data to be tossed in teh growing pile of "why is Canada's political class so awful?"

This is taken from an article discussing the Democratic party and how it's going to react to it's unexpected defeat in 2016 but what's written here could be applied, broadly speaking, to a lot of Liberals and NDPers here in Canada.

quote:

Let me explain what I mean by reminding you what this form of liberalism looks like. Somewhere in a sunny corner of the country, either right now or very shortly, a group of tech tycoons or well-meaning private equity investors will meet to discuss what went wrong in this election cycle. They will consider many things: the sexism and racism of Trump voters, the fundamental foreignness of the flyover, the problems one encounters when dealing with evangelicals. They will celebrate some activist they learned about from NPR, they will enjoy some certified artisanal cuisine, they will hand out prizes to the same people that got prizes at the last event they attended, and they will go back to their comfortable rooms at the resort and sleep ever so soundly.

These people think they know what liberalism includes and what it doesn’t include. And in the latter category fall the concerns that made up the heart and soul of liberal politics a few decades ago: labor and work and exploitation and economic equality.

To dedicate your life to concerns like these today is to sign up for obscurity and frustration. It’s to enter a world without foundation grants, without appearances on MSNBC, and without much job security. Nothing about this sphere of liberal activism is fashionable or attractive. Books on its subjects go unreviewed and unread. Strikes drag on for weeks before they are noticed by the national media. Labor organizers are some of the hardest-working but least-thanked people I know. Labor reporters are just about extinct. Promises to labor unions are voided almost as soon as they leave a politician’s lips.

If rich liberals had listened to such people, Donald Trump might not have been able to lure away so many millions of working-class voters. Maybe they will change their ways now? Perhaps the well-meaning folks at those Florida resorts will finally close ranks with working people and their representatives?

Put the question slightly differently: will the Washington Post or the New York Times take the sad fate of Democratic centrism as a signal to bring a whole new vision to their op-ed pages? Will NPR finally say to its cast of well-graduated tastemakers: you missed it just one time too many? Will the thinktanks and pressure groups of Washington finally be told by their donors: we’re shifting your grant money to people who care about deindustrialization?

I doubt it. Liberalism today is an expression of an enlightened professional class, and their core economic interests simply do not align with those of working people. One thing we know about professionalism is that it exists to shield insiders from public accountability. If coming up with a solution to what ails liberalism means listening to people who aren’t part of the existing nonprofit/journalistic in-group, then there will be no solution. Liberals would rather lose than do that.

If the unreconstructed Democratic party is to be saved, I suspect, what will save it is what always saves it: the colossal incompetence of the Republicans. This, too, we can already see coming down the rails. Donald Trump is getting the wrecking crew back together, and before too long, I suspect, he will have the country pining for Hillary Clinton.

The major difference here would be that unions are, on the balance, stronger in Canada than they are in the United States. They represent a larger share of the workforce and in some areas, like Ontario, they spend comparable amounts on elections to any business pressure group. However the truth is that with some exceptions the currently existing union movement largely represents public sector workers who often have more in common with the credentialed professionals than the average private sector worker. This is reflected by the fact that in Ontario most union spending actually goes to benefit the Liberal party. The end result is unions tending to be one of the more conservative forces within the NDP as well as one of the main pillars of support for awful Liberal governments like the OLP.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

Has there been any articles about the implications of pipeline expansion on Canada's Paris agreement CO2 targets, additionally taking into account the carbon tax? I thought I saw an article headline a while back about how the impact of the carbon tax would be minor compared to the CO2 generated from pipeline expansion but I can't for the life of me find it.

The government messaging portrays pipeline expansion and the carbon tax as if they're equal and opposite. I'm sure this is not the case.

Yes, there's one that I know of. There's more in the article, but here's the gist of it:

quote:

Since signing the Paris Climate Accord, Trudeau has rolled out two high-profile climate policies. Both got heaps of praise in the media. But as the scorecard chart clearly shows, the actual reductions in Canada's climate pollution will be relatively small.

CLEAN POLICY #1: Coal-free by 2030. Yes, it sounds impressive. But in reality Canada doesn't burn much coal. And we already had federal and provincial polices in place to phase it out. Trudeau's splashy new policy accelerates the phase out but it will only reduce our nation's climate pollution by 5 MtCO2 in 2030 compared to what was already planned. This reduction is illustrated in column two of the scorecard. It's not even 3 per cent of what's needed by 2030.

CLEAN POLICY #2: Carbon Tax. This feel-good new policy also generated lots of favourable headlines. Unfortunately, as the third column shows, it delivers less than a tenth of what's needed for 2030. That's according to estimates by EnviroEconomics. It's far too little to hold off the flood from surging fossil fuel extraction.

Massive dirty approvals.

BIG & DIRTY #1: Petronas PNW LNG. Trudeau recently approved this gigantic liquid natural gas (LNG) proposal. The approval green lights an entirely new fossil fuel industry in Canada: LNG. Extracting and processing all the fracked gas will emit approximately 12 MtCO2 in British Columbia. This threatens to overwhelm B.C.'s entire legal, moral and ethical climate budget for 2050, which is just 13 MtCO2. British Columbia promised to cut emissions 80 per cent by 2050 – right in line with what the Trudeau government says we all must do. Yet Trudeau handed nearly all of these most critical emission rights in B.C. to a Malaysian state-owned corporation. What's everyone else supposed to do? The full lifecycle of all that LNG will exceed 70 MtCO2.

BIG & DIRTY #2: TransCanada Keystone XL. Trudeau asked for it. He "steadfastly" supports it. U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has promised "100 percent" to approve it. This mega-project will pump up to 190 MtCO2 per year. That is more than the combined emissions of the 100 least climate polluting nations. Nearly 30 MtCO2 will be emitted in Alberta to extract the the extra bitumen. As the scorecard chart makes clear, this alone will more than wipe out the climate savings from both of Trudeau's signature climate policies – the 2030 coal phase out and the carbon tax.

BIG & DIRTY #3: Doubling Enbridge Line 3. Trudeau is almost certain to approve Enbridge's Line 3 expansion. This mega-expansion would carry another 80 MtCO2 per year. Roughly 12 MtCO2 of that would be emitted in Alberta to extract the bitumen.

BIG & DIRTY #4: Tripling Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain (TMX). A few days after the Line 3 decision, Trudeau will decide whether to allow a tripling of Kinder Morgan's Trans Mountain pipeline. He is widely expected to approve this bitumen-expansion project as well. This would pump an additional 125 MtCO2 worth of bitumen each year. Trudeau will need to force it through bitterly opposed B.C. communities.

BIG & DIRTY #5: TransCanada Energy East. Just … wow.

Running up the down escalator

Meanwhile, the International Energy Agency (IEA) calculates that fossil oil production must start falling if humanity wants to limit dangerous climate changes to less than 2 degrees in global warming. Clearly that's not what Trudeau plans to do.

Canada is already the world's fourth largest exporter of fossil oil. Here's a chart comparing Canada's fossil oil plans to the IEA's 2°C Scenario.

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2016/11/24/opinion/opinion-trudeaus-carbon-tsunami-numbers

e: it's worth mentioning that their calculations for carbon emissions are lifetime emissions, so they include both production/transport and the actual burning of the fuel by whoever purchases it after it gets shipped through the pipeline. You can make the argument that that fuel is going to be burned no matter what and that the buyer will just get their fuel from someone else if we don't sell it to them, and that these figures are a little inflated as a result because a lot of that CO2 won't be emitted by Canada in Canada and therefore shouldn't be counted against Trudeau. That's still a bad argument though.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 30, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Toronto Star, Canada's largest circulation paper and basically the only major broadsheet newspaper that doesn't endorse the Conservatives at every election, put the story about Kinder Morgan getting approved on page 6 so that they could run a front page story about how the government isn't doing a good enough job helping the families of kidnapped Canadians.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm not sure what to think about the pipeline announcements.

On the one hand, I think climate change is probably the premier threat facing our world, 2nd only to nuclear weapons. We absolutely need to make big changes, and even if we act now, we're still going to be in a lot of trouble.

On the other hand, and especially with Trump getting in, I worry about the results of saying "gently caress you Alberta get another industry". Were there any serious counter proposals? Usually this thing is hand-waved away with renewable energy and green jobs with no specifics and no real basis. If there was some plan for massive wind farms in Alberta then at least that's an alternative, of a sort.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol nuclear weapons what is this the 80s

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Ontario Auditor General's report is out. Highlights from the Toronto Star so far

quote:

• Some $8 billion has been spent on eHealth Ontario and associated electronic medical records initiatives over 14 years that remain unfinished.
  • Ontario’s cap-and-trade partnership with Quebec and California will do far more to lower emissions in the Golden State than here.
  • More than $1 billion is spent annually on employment programs without sufficient information about where skilled workers are needed.
  • Substandard asphalt on major highways is leading to expensive patch-up repairs just a few years after paving.
  • The province needs to boost oversight of physician billing — six claimed to work 366 days in 2015-16 (including the extra day in February because this was a leap year.)
  • Government advertising has increased by two-thirds — from $30 million annually to $49.9 million — since the auditor general’s powers to censor ads if she deemed them partisan were diminished.
  • Youth mental-health agencies are swamped with 50 per cent more cases of hospitalization in recent years yet the government has not done an adequate analysis of the reasons.
  • Hospital emergency rooms have seen a 21-per-cent increase in mental-health cases over the past five years, but there are still no province-wide standards for admission, treatment, and discharge of patients.
  • Patients waited 37 hours in emergency wards for hospital beds and 23 hours for intensive car beds, while patients awaiting emergency surgery waited an average of 18 hours.
  • Metrolinx re-hired a poorly performing contractor who installed a truss upside down on the Pickering GO pedestrian bridge over Highway 401 and subsequently gave the company another contract.

I always thought that truss didn't look right.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

Ontario Auditor General's report is out. Highlights from the Toronto Star so far

I always thought that truss didn't look right.

Ontario is bad and corrupt.

Let's elect the home schooled 19yr old giving opinions on parenting instead.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Ontario is bad and corrupt.

Let's elect the home schooled 19yr old giving opinions on parenting instead.

We're so lucky to live in a democracy where we get to choose our leaders! I'm very excited for the opportunity to choose between Corrupt Idiot A, Corrupt Idiot B, and Naive Idiot C

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
how about we just deal with mental health issues by forcing these people to live on the streets or in prison??

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Federal Court Justice Robin Camp should be removed from bench, inquiry recommends

:getin:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Paris Climate Agreement completely non binding which means Canada can make a boatload of promises and later reneg on any and all of them without any repercussions except losing a little bit more of our nations laughable credibility?

If that's actually the case then why do any of you talk about this climate agreement like it's worth more than the paper it's written on?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Paris Climate Agreement completely non binding which means Canada can make a boatload of promises and later reneg on any and all of them without any repercussions except losing a little bit more of our nations laughable credibility?

If that's actually the case then why do any of you talk about this climate agreement like it's worth more than the paper it's written on?

Yes its non-biding, and yes all countries involved promised these things with no enforcement mechanism.

It is, however, a decent goal. If anything the goals should be more ambitious.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
A lot of countries are going to start getting hit with climate change affected weather - are getting hit with climate change affected weather - sooner than others. China, India, and Brazil in particular have agricultural regions that are both very vulnerable to increased/decreased rainfall. So at some point self-interest kicks in, although if you want to despair and argue that it's already too late you can do that.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Dreylad posted:

A lot of countries are going to start getting hit with climate change affected weather - are getting hit with climate change affected weather - sooner than others. China, India, and Brazil in particular have agricultural regions that are both very vulnerable to increased/decreased rainfall. So at some point self-interest kicks in, although if you want to despair and argue that it's already too late you can do that.

yeah but self interest is for the rich, who will take their money and run to a non-vulnerable region

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PiCwvbBlJs

Canada is Scott Thompson, all the people are talking about climate change.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dreylad posted:

This would read the same after a s/Ontario/Quebec/g.

Can we stop saying Quebec is corrupt and inefficient? We hardly have a monopoly on this.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

flakeloaf posted:

If two years of university can bring Lynx and Lamb Gaede around, there's hope for anyone.

That and smoking weed. Deadly combination if you're a bootstomping Christian Nazi propagandizing parent.

There's a lot of hand-waving right now about the developing brain remaining plastic until the mid-twenties and possible impacts on it of smoking pot. In this case I'm not seeing a down side.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Landsknecht posted:

yeah but self interest is for the rich, who will take their money and run to a non-vulnerable region

So? Faced with existential crisis, nation-states don't always curl up and die.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jan posted:

Can we stop saying Quebec is corrupt and inefficient? We hardly have a monopoly on this.

Has Quebec stopped being corrupt and inefficient?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
We're just more open about it. Right now everyone is freaking out because courtroom delays could prevent Gilles Vaillancourt, the guy who ran Laval as his personal mafia kingdom for almost 40 years could go without trial.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you did it christy :toot:
https://twitter.com/Dave_Eby/status/803677662325522432

(seriously this was the most predictable consequence of only applying the tax on the lower mainland, jfc)

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Postess with the Mostest posted:

“Instead of doing the right thing for B.C., Christy Clark put our coast in the hands of the Harper government,” said Horgan.

"You can't win, Justin. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."
- Stephen J. Harper

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/Dave_Eby/status/803677662325522432

(seriously this was the most predictable consequence of only applying the tax on the lower mainland, jfc)

I thought keeping track of those numbers was racist.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

We just wanted to spread the tuhao/fuerdai love around.

Not fair for us to hog them all.

Maybe now the residents of Prince George will have a chance to see a McLaren in person! (Blasting down their residential street at 150km/h.)

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 30, 2016

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Meanwhile, year-over-year from October 2015, the rental vacancy rate in Victoria dropped from 0.6% to 0.5%, and rents went up by 5.5%. That's a worse vacancy rate than downtown Vancouver or the City of Vancouver~

Country-wide, the rate is 3.4%.

Powershift posted:

I thought keeping track of those numbers was racist.

ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Helsing posted:

However the truth is that with some exceptions the currently existing union movement largely represents public sector workers who often have more in common with the credentialed professionals than the average private sector worker. This is reflected by the fact that in Ontario most union spending actually goes to benefit the Liberal party. The end result is unions tending to be one of the more conservative forces within the NDP as well as one of the main pillars of support for awful Liberal governments like the OLP.

:cawg: hahahaha