Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr Pepper posted:

Well now I haven't used a single 4 Star Mote yet.

It's... beautiful. :allears:

So is it really worth maxing everything out on him? I could easily do that but I don't really run magic much. Almost all my teams are 4 physical beaters and a wall/healer. Is OK worth using as a mage at all? Or are the RES+ boosts just worth it for survivability against lovely aoe magic spam from bosses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ETB posted:

To be fair, banner 1 is actually more support than damage. You had a much better chance getting an offensive SB with banner 2.

Then my streak of poor decisions continues unabated

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh man, please tell me you were dumb enough to invest in the trap that is the red mage/sage line. It provides absolutely nothing, and is worth so many valuable 4* motes.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
On Lightning's BSB; Stun and Slow are the two of the few remotely good statuses to have on an SSB, in that bosses above +(especially U tier and up) are vulnerable to them some notable amount of the time.

It's a situational thing, as such. Stun's pretty good right now, most everything gets hit and constantly Stunning enemies is very strong mitigation even off fairly bad rates(Which is why Dismissal is good), but bosses start getting immunity more than the occasional U++ soon, I gather. Slow's just a nice bonus.

Edit: On the topic of Onions; Got mine dived up everywhere but Red Mage/Sage and up to 81 so far.

Between that and just having Onion Slice, I feel like he's a 1/10th model of the normal Onion. Still, happy.

SageAcrin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Attestant posted:

I kinda wish I had a third one by now, because I finally got a couple of BSB's during the fest. I often want my White Mage running one, my designated party Atk or Mag buffer to have it, and now I'd also want something like Vaan or Noel BSB starting right away. :v:

But I think DeNa realized how bonkers they are, and stopped making more of the effect. Afaik, not even JP has a third one yet. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

Give Vaan Ace Striker or Battleforged, you'll have it after 2 lifesiphons as long as something, anything, hits him during that time as well. You'll also be able to keep the BSB running non-stop once it's active.

Dr Pepper posted:

Well now I haven't used a single 4 Star Mote yet.

It's... beautiful. :allears:

You monster.

I'm short on 4* motes so I can't even make OK useful, so I guess it's for the best that I didn't get any of his relics... yeah that's it, it's good that I got nothing for them. :sigh:

RagnarokAngel posted:

Presumably they're giving it a few weeks for people to make headway into the game so they don't spoil things.

The machine blade sword we got has XV synergy so it has to come into play somewhere.

FFBE is getting a FFXV event in both Global* and Japan in December apparently, so maybe FFRK will see something similar.

* supposedly, going by translated streams or something.

e: FFBE has the best sprites.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would really like a healing BSSB, are there any upcoming banners I should look out for?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sprite141 posted:

Oh man, please tell me you were dumb enough to invest in the trap that is the red mage/sage line. It provides absolutely nothing, and is worth so many valuable 4* motes.

:iamafag: Sphere Level 60 :razz:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Elephant Ambush posted:

So is it really worth maxing everything out on him? I could easily do that but I don't really run magic much. Almost all my teams are 4 physical beaters and a wall/healer. Is OK worth using as a mage at all? Or are the RES+ boosts just worth it for survivability against lovely aoe magic spam from bosses?

OK is brutal at level 99. For cid missions, having support 5 and white magic 5 gives him ample support weight that is really loving nice. With no synergy mage weapon, he can easily be a ninja for that damage. With one, he mkes one hell of a black mage.

I got his melee ssb, but I'm not using him as physical. Since I drew 2 of desch's magic swords, I have one on OK. He's running full break and a 5* black magic, and even though he's entirely geared with magic damage he still has like 400 attack. I have the 3* motes filled except for red mage, don't bother with that.

I only have the black magic and support 5* lines filled though, the rest is empty. Just fill him to your needs, the stat bonuses kinda always suck except for ninja magic boosts. As such, his sage and red mage mote lines are completely worthless.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

1st AD posted:

I would really like a healing BSSB, are there any upcoming banners I should look out for?

I don't think there's two healer Burst sets on any banners coming up, unless Global changes something.

So you're best off looking at OSBFest 3 assuming it doesn't change too much(A spectacular banner in general, has Eiko's killer BSB) or Alphinaud 1(Has Y'shtola's extremely good Sanctuary).

Former is a healer Burst that gives +50% crit rate on entry in addition to the heal, latter generates a shield equal to 30% of the target's life in addition to the heal, both have the multitarget healspam and good primary Curaja heals.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Elephant Ambush posted:

If you have his BSB, he's *absolutely* worth using as a Mage. Command 2 is basically an instant cast (after the first) NE -Ja spell that can break damage cap. You can probably get off 7 or 8 casts of it with haste during Burst, then burst again. Or you can alternate it with instant cast Meltdowns. :getin:

Alternately, going down the Mage side makes him an incredible ninja, which fills the role that summon access has on most other mages.

Sprite141 posted:

17 Mag is pretty good!

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sprite141 posted:

After a certain point you just want to make your husbando/waifu as huge as possible, opportunity cost of doing so be damned.

Why yes I have a fully dived (including Spellblade +3% from Snowspell Strike) Bartz, why do you ask.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SageAcrin posted:

Alphinaud 1(Has Y'shtola's extremely good Sanctuary).

Asylum, provided DeNA doesn't change the name for no reason like you just did.

(Still not sure why Thancred's Jin-Chi-Ten isn't just Huton).

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh yeah, that 400 attack? That's at level 96.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

AweStriker posted:

Asylum, provided DeNA doesn't change the name for no reason like you just did.

(Still not sure why Thancred's Jin-Chi-Ten isn't just Huton).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on translation philosophy and process, just so I can really hate everything you post on that topic.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

1st AD posted:

There's about to be a bunch, but if we're specifically talking about really good healer bursts, Aeris' comes back in like two weeks, followed by Y'shtola's on the XIV banner everyone's losing their minds about. Eiko's will almost certainly be on the global festival banners too, but we won't know that for sure until those banners get released, which will probably be at least a couple weeks from now. After that it actually slows down for a while until Rosa's drops with the Cid Polledina event; Yuna gets a second one during the Seymour event but it doesn't seem especially great outside of mage meta because the entry SB is another stacking faithga.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you have his BSB, he's *absolutely* worth using as a Mage. Command 2 is basically an instant cast (after the first) NE -Ja spell that can break damage cap. You can probably get off 7 or 8 casts of it with haste during Burst, then burst again. Or you can alternate it with instant cast Meltdowns. :getin:

Don't forget that he's completely self sufficient since his burst gives a 30% Faithga.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Man, I really was looking forward to the ffxi banner. Well if anything this gives me time to build up more mythril for it I suppose.

Edit:

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget that he's completely self sufficient since his burst gives a 30% Faithga.

It's a magic/attack boost, so it stacks with the other 30% faithgas.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, yeah. I was mostly speaking about using Mage OK on a mostly physical team. It's like Darkness Mages in that way.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

I actually just remembered the name of Asylum wrong since I didn't look it up when commenting on it, just remembered it being on the banner. :D Oops.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Finally ditched Luneth, Ignus and Arc for the U++ and just murdered the poo poo out of Doga and Unei with OK, Tyro, P. Cecil, Faris and Vaan. Had to RW for Vessel of Fate, but between Sentinel's Grimoire, Ark Blast, Beryl Serpent, Gaia Cross and Paladin Force, I was able to keep everyone alive long enough to burn down Unei and then dismantled Doga in short order.

I'm vaguely tempted to draw on OK banner 1 again but I'm trying to save Mythril for later banners, and I've been working on cutting back on my whaling on banners for this game. Plus I've already got all the other stuff that's on the banner aside from Arc's medica and the two OK relics, so I feel like drawing again is probably a bad idea.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ahriman went down. It was my first time using Luneth, and boy was that fun. Now if only I had some sort of Imperil Wind, then he and Snowspell Bartz could really lay into everyone.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Evil Fluffy posted:

Give Vaan Ace Striker or Battleforged, you'll have it after 2 lifesiphons as long as something, anything, hits him during that time as well. You'll also be able to keep the BSB running non-stop once it's active.

You monster.

I'm short on 4* motes so I can't even make OK useful, so I guess it's for the best that I didn't get any of his relics... yeah that's it, it's good that I got nothing for them. :sigh:

FFBE is getting a FFXV event in both Global* and Japan in December apparently, so maybe FFRK will see something similar.

* supposedly, going by translated streams or something.

e: FFBE has the best sprites.

I'd somehow like to see a crossover FFBE event in Record Keeper:

Going by how far along in the story I am right now:

Lasswell - Samurai or maybe Knight
Rain - Spellblade or Combat
Fina - White Mage
Lid - Machinist or Support

Comedy option Bedile - Spellblade if Rain can't be one.

I'm only up to that village on that second island. That boss seems to be a huge gear/ability check

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Surprisingly, Irvine's Dark Shot is tempting me not to pull on banner 1 (well Hyper Sniper is another incentive, but that returns on RaiFu 2). It's not going to win any prizes but Auto-Blind+Slow is potentially really nice, allowing Irvine to pop that at the start of the fight, then just do Support duties while some other Machinists go Blind Shell (or Penalty Snipe?). Just kinda dumb gimmick options since I have a decent A team already.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I am so glad I got luneth's advance sb during the first beginner banner. It doesn't matter where I use him or what rw I have. Maxed out attack on a 5* dragoon and potential 5* spellblade is loving ace.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Gonna pull on both FFVIII banners, the lure of OSB is too strong.

Maybe I will tweet at the FFRK account again and see if it works a third time :v: Papa needs a better weapon for Squall than Revolver and I wanna give Quistis her own dang whip.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 30, 2016

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

SageAcrin posted:

I actually just remembered the name of Asylum wrong since I didn't look it up when commenting on it, just remembered it being on the banner. :D Oops.

Whatever you cal it, I will vouch for its usefulness. Comes out with a Medica for 300 or so health, drops an HP buffer as, and then gives you a BSB 1 Command that is an instant cast heal for 3000 or more health. It also has reusable Medica for Command 2, but I usually just spam the 1 and it keeps everyone up fine.

Toss on top that pulling for it might also net you Stoneskin II and you've got a big chunk of why Minfilia 1 is such a big deal.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I said "gently caress it" and burned 2 mythril on stam refreshes just to get OK to 99. Totally worth the time saved. Time to tackle those FF3 ults!

Edit: Quick question I keep forgetting to ask: Is Y'shtola finally going to be motable as of the FF14 event? I've been saving every magic-related mote just for her since she was my first 99 and she's not leaving my A Team anytime soon because of SS2.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2016

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

Yeah, the FF14 cast basically all gets access to motes with Alphinaud's event, as I understand it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It should also be the last time we have to worry about old characters not having spheres, depending on when Ovelia and the Gold Concert folks get theirs.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Krile and Hope's are probably the best of the lot, actually, unless you have Kain's BSB. +Mag (and +Atk but that has a low softcap) scales MUCH, MUCH better than straight +% damage.

I call BS but I'm willing to listen to your explanation.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Munoma posted:

I call BS but I'm willing to listen to your explanation.
ATK and MAG scale very highly up to the softcap, and continue to scale (though not as absurdly) past it.

Here's a graph of it for ATK (for the enemy softcap of 346; the player ATK softcap is 589), MAG is even better due to the softcap being much higher so you can stack and stack and stack faithgas if you want. The point where the lines intersect is the soft cap, so you'd switch from the red line to the blue line there. For the player softcap, just imagine the blue line starting higher, such that it crosses at 589 instead.

Courtesy of reddit user TFMurphy:
If ATK ≤ 589, then Damage = (ATK)1.8 ÷ √(DEF)
If ATK > 589, then Damage = 2000 • √(ATK) ÷ √(DEF)

At 146 ATK, +1 ATK gives an enemy +9.7 damage. At 345, +1 ATK gives them +19.3 damage. This continues scaling to 589 for players. At 588 ATK, a single point more ATK will give you 105.8 damage.

The softcap for MAG is 1054. You can imagine how ridiculous +mag gets. At 1053 MAG, assuming 100 RES, a single point of MAG will give 189.6 damage. (except for Ninja magic, which has a really low softcap of 390; you're better off stacking +% ninja magic damage for that.)

Basically, if you have access to Shout and another ATK boost of some kind (or characters with naturally enough ATK/synergy gear to hit the softcap with just Shout) then +% damage is better. This is...almost never possible with magic, since you'd need high level characters with good gear and three to four stacking faithgas to hit the MAG softcap, so +MAG is incredible and better than +% magic damage in almost every case. This is why Devotion is probably the best RM in the game after Dr. Mog's/Mako Might.

At some point in the future, the ATK softcap will be raised to 700, which should help physical characters stop falling out of relevance. Until then, don't stack Boostgas, use +crit stuff like Prayer of the Lost and Twin Star.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 30, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The current ATK softcap for PCs is actually 590; 346 is just the ATK softcap for enemies. (Also, such growth is approximately quadratic; exponential growth is an entirely different order of things.)

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

NGDBSS posted:

The current ATK softcap for PCs is actually 590; 346 is just the ATK softcap for enemies. (Also, such growth is approximately quadratic; exponential growth is an entirely different order of things.)
My mistake, I'll amend that.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Considering the amount of hidden information one needs to get the most out of ffrk, Dr mog is really a very bad teacher

Game completely glosses over any stat caps, status stacking/overwriting, special immunities, status lengths, percent modifiers, etc. I wonder if forcing the average player to dig much deeper to find things out makes them all the engrossed in the game and more likely to continue playing because lots of games seem to do this minimal in game info thing.

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 30, 2016

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Forget about hidden information. That fucko is repeatedly wrong about the completely visible and obvious. :v:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

ATK and MAG scale very highly up to the softcap, and continue to scale (though not as absurdly) past it.

Here's a graph of it for ATK (for the enemy softcap of 346; the player ATK softcap is 589), MAG is even better due to the softcap being much higher so you can stack and stack and stack faithgas if you want. The point where the lines intersect is the soft cap, so you'd switch from the red line to the blue line there. For the player softcap, just imagine the blue line starting higher, such that it crosses at 589 instead.

Courtesy of reddit user TFMurphy:
If ATK ≤ 589, then Damage = (ATK)1.8 ÷ √(DEF)
If ATK > 589, then Damage = 2000 • √(ATK) ÷ √(DEF)

At 146 ATK, +1 ATK gives an enemy +9.7 damage. At 345, +1 ATK gives them +19.3 damage. This continues scaling to 589 for players. At 588 ATK, a single point more ATK will give you 105.8 damage.

The softcap for MAG is 1054. You can imagine how ridiculous +mag gets. At 1053 MAG, assuming 100 RES, a single point of MAG will give 189.6 damage. (except for Ninja magic, which has a really low softcap of 390; you're better off stacking +% ninja magic damage for that.)

Basically, if you have access to Shout and another ATK boost of some kind (or characters with naturally enough ATK/synergy gear to hit the softcap with just Shout) then +% damage is better. This is...almost never possible with magic, since you'd need high level characters with good gear and three to four stacking faithgas to hit the MAG softcap, so +MAG is incredible and better than +% magic damage in almost every case. This is why Devotion is probably the best RM in the game after Dr. Mog's/Mako Might.

At some point in the future, the ATK softcap will be raised to 700, which should help physical characters stop falling out of relevance. Until then, don't stack Boostgas, use +crit stuff like Prayer of the Lost and Twin Star.

This is very useful and makes perfect sense due to black magic being much stronger than physical attacks.

I appreciate your detailed explanation. :cheers:

I really need to brush up on my math though.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
^ Something to add to this topic: This is why the best mage RM is actually the now rather old Vivi's RM2, Devotion. +20% Mag, -10% Def & Res.

Yet another case where DeNa realized just how strong the thing actually is, so we've never gotten a raw +Mag% record materia that buffs Mag quite as much.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

Attestant posted:

^ Something to add to this topic: This is why the best mage RM is actually the now rather old Vivi's RM2, Devotion. +20% Mag, -10% Def & Res.

Yet another case where DeNa realized just how strong the thing actually is, so we've never gotten a raw +Mag% record materia that buffs Mag quite as much.

Sweet, I think I'll try to unlock that now.

Speaking of RM's which ones are considered the best/strongest?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Incidentally, MND has the same high softcap as MAG, but hahahahahahaha good loving luck ever hitting it. I'm...not sure it's possible? Even if it is, there are very few white magic attacks that hit enough to make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Considering the amount of hidden information one needs to get the most out of ffrk, Dr mog is really a very bad teacher

Game completely glosses over any stat caps, status stacking/overwriting, special immunities, status lengths, percent modifiers, etc. I wonder if forcing the average player to dig much deeper to find things out makes them all the engrossed in the game and more likely to continue playing because lots of games seem to do this minimal in game info thing.

I think a lot of it is that the math involved is just not particularly interesting and would actually be off-putting if put front and center. People don't want to know how the sausage gets made, they just want to know that the thing that "significantly increases Sword damage" works as advertised. Things like softcaps, which are necessary to keep the math in check, especially don't need to be referenced by the game itself because then you get into the whole thing of, you know, why 590 and 1054 and not nice, round numbers?

On the other hand, though, there's whoever handles the Twitter account who is cruelly kept from playing the game and is told what needs to be posted on the feed via a game of telephone.

• Locked thread