Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I tried Cataph's magic mod, but dear lord does it make Burning Skull ludicrously overpowered. I had a bright wizard regularly scoring 500-900 kills per battle with it. If Skull was toned down a bit, it would be a good magic mod from what I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If Wood Elf women are riding side saddle, that's dumb as hell.

I can understand for Brettonians, that's kind of their THING is being 100% chivalric arthurian ideal 24/7, but it makes no sense for woad covered celtic berserkers to have the first gently caress to give about courtly mannerisms.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
The side saddle drama is dumb as hell.

If it's that big of a deal it'll be modded out in a week.

Also a lot of Bretonnian spellcasters interact with the wood elves. So there's that. Heck, it's a plot point that "special" (IE: Magic capable.) girls are offered up to the forest and sometimes come back different once they've grown up. Maybe they're just rubbing off on each other?

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Spellsingers riding sidesaddle makes about as much sense as pistoliers doing it. God I wish I was in a universe where some manly empire dudes were riding sidesaddle just to see the shitstorm.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I like how there were a bunch of complaints about there being a few posts about multiplayer every other page but now everyone's fine to talk about this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
CA had a female mounted model already and decided to reuse it - makes perfect sense.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Trujillo posted:

I like how there were a bunch of complaints about there being a few posts about multiplayer every other page but now everyone's fine to talk about this.

See, I think you don't actually like it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
An idea I had for Tomb Kings campaign goals is to recover artifacts stolen by other races so they gotta go tromping out of Not-Egypt to get them. So if you were a faction like Lizardmen or something you'd see them occasionally in your home territory.

Don't Lizardmen hate Chaos? That could give them an incentive to wipe out any corruption-generating factions.

I agree they need to make factions less isolationist because it makes them much less of a threat to the player that in spite of some enemy faction doing insanely well due to emergent diplomatic behavior, they don't bother to build up beyond their own backyard ;at that point for a human player will have an easy time dismantling them at his leisure.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

fnordcircle posted:

Spellsingers riding sidesaddle makes about as much sense as pistoliers doing it.

It makes way more sense than that.

For example, Spellsingers don't need to ride properly for balance because they can fly.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If Wood Elf women are riding side saddle, that's dumb as hell.

I can understand for Brettonians, that's kind of their THING is being 100% chivalric arthurian ideal 24/7, but it makes no sense for woad covered celtic berserkers to have the first gently caress to give about courtly mannerisms.

That's not how the wood elves are though? They're much more classically fey. They have nobles and a civil society, they just also ritually sacrifice a younger noble every year and go on an orgy of violence known as the Wild Hunt with their living God.

They're alien, not slavering berserkers. Except when they are :v:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Who do we blame for starting this dumb debate in this thread?

I hope the elven archers draw their bows from the correct side also.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I didn't think this thread could get as bad as the official forums but then people got mad over how units rode their mounts.

It's not like you are going to notice it while playing, jesus.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Kainser posted:

I didn't think this thread could get as bad as the official forums but then people got mad over how units rode their mounts.

I'm sure when Ogre Kingdoms DLC gets released people will be :spergin: about Ogre bellybutton diameter or something as well.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
All I know is I want my medieval grimdark fantasy be realistic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rygar201 posted:

That's not how the wood elves are though? They're much more classically fey. They have nobles and a civil society, they just also ritually sacrifice a younger noble every year and go on an orgy of violence known as the Wild Hunt with their living God.

They're alien, not slavering berserkers. Except when they are :v:

"When they are" is at least 50% of the time and "always" in the case of when they are at war.

Guess what this game focuses on

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Kainser posted:

This is literally a conversation worse than anything that's going on in totalwareddit right now. Just think about that...

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

brocretin posted:

This is literally a conversation worse than anything that's going on in totalwareddit right now. Just think about that...

Yeah it's kind of shocking that both reddit and the official forums are more open to discussing female representation in video games than goons in this thread

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Deified Data posted:

Personally I see nothing wrong with subtly reusing an asset. No one seems upset they've reused the basic wolf template 3 times.

Women > Dogs imo

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

peer posted:

Yeah it's kind of shocking that both reddit and the official forums are more open to discussing female representation in video games than goons in this thread

Who is saying representation is bad/unnecessary ITT?

The TW reddit is a so slow. It's kind of lame.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Fangz posted:

Who do we blame for starting this dumb debate in this thread?

Right here, let's fight.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

"When they are" is at least 50% of the time and "always" in the case of when they are at war.

Guess what this game focuses on

They're not all slavering beserkers when at war. The Wild Riders, Wardancers and monsters like Orion yes, but Eternal Guard, Waywatchers, Wildwood Rangers etc. are of the more typical level-headed Elven mould.

There aren't many one-note factions in Warhammer. Just Dwarfs.

Riding sidesaddle is a perfectly apt way to represent fair and perilous elf maidens high on pollen and ready to blow stuff up in the name of a giant tree. Especially when they already had the animations to hand.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
All debates are good. Post without limits.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Make chaos ride sidesaddle

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Do the elf wizards wear dresses or something similar that would clip through the horse in the default pose? The one picture on lexicanum has one in a long narrow skirt that looks completely impractical for any kind of locomotion other than a segway so that would solve the mystery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

All elf clothing is completely impractical, so yes.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Elves themselves are impractical.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It's only sexist if they are weaker than Empire Wizards on the field.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.
Whoever is keeping track, please put me down for SpellSlingers riding side saddle is bad. Thank you

Also any estimate on the release of the Wood friends? I heard someone say awhile back a week or two after the info drops, but that seems short.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Truecon420 posted:

Whoever is keeping track, please put me down for SpellSlingers riding side saddle is bad. Thank you

Also any estimate on the release of the Wood friends? I heard someone say awhile back a week or two after the info drops, but that seems short.

Next Thursday, December 8.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Who is saying representation is bad/unnecessary ITT?

Nobody's saying exactly that, but there seems to be about a 50% split between "elf sidesaddle is dumb" and "elf sidesaddle is fine/who cares", plus about twice as many posts complaining that anyone's even talking about it. It's an issue of female representation in games in the same way that (say) boob armour is, and as someone pointed out earlier there would be a storm of complaints if a male unit like Pistoliers or knights used the animation.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Deified Data posted:

CA had a female mounted model already and decided to reuse it - makes perfect sense.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Substitute laziness :effort:

This is what mods are for, at least. Somebody'll fix it.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I just don't care cuz it's really clearly CA reusing rigging from the damsel, not them trying to say anything. If all the Sisters of the Thorn were riding sidesaddle or something I would be rather troubled, but this is just a weird little thing that's a result of normal game dev economization. There're much more objectionable portrayals of women in many other games, and the limited female presence in Total Warhammer is almost entirely GW's fault, not CA's, so there's just not much to say besides 'yeah that's a bit strange'.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hello, TWCenter. How's it goin... wait, WHAT THE???

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How do Vampires ride?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Have all cavalry ride sidesaddle imo

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zaphod42 posted:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Unrelated to the discussion at hand, that's actually a really dumb motto. Politics and management are full of malicious acts that are camouflaged as general incompetence that just so happens to benefit those responsible for it.

Um, back to sidesaddles, I guess.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 30, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

How do Vampires ride?

Like the male characters, which means their dress looks weird and their legs clip through the mount. Still Better Than Sidesaddle

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

Have all cavalry ride sidesaddle imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

peer posted:

Nobody's saying exactly that, but there seems to be about a 50% split between "elf sidesaddle is dumb" and "elf sidesaddle is fine/who cares", plus about twice as many posts complaining that anyone's even talking about it. It's an issue of female representation in games in the same way that (say) boob armour is, and as someone pointed out earlier there would be a storm of complaints if a male unit like Pistoliers or knights used the animation.

It really isn't like boob armour, and there might be complaints but it would still be silly.

Edit: the point of boob armour is that it's read as compromising the setting for the gratification of an assumed male audience, who would also spend much of the time zoomed in close enough to ogle the result. In this case it's at worst inappropriate (unless there's some side saddle fetish I haven't heard of) and you spend most of the game zoomed out so it's super, super easy to ignore, like lots of TW's deviations from history has been ignored.

This is a stupid controversy. The lack of female legendary lords is an actual thing, if you care about representation.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2016

• Locked thread