Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Brother Friendship posted:

Pelosi is good but the leadership roster of House dems is simply too old. They're all over 70, aren't they? Obama had a selling point of being young and, for that matter, so does Little Marco. Youth is a quantifiable asset in politics and should be used to its full effect. This isn't anything that Pelosi herself hasn't realized.

Then you transition doofus not blow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That Ross Douthat is the one writing the "maybe the Democrats should give up on identity politics" take should tell you something about it.

(It should tell you that it is not a position held by the left :ssh:)

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

After reading his article, I still think that guy is a moron but agree with a couple of his points. I wonder why he didn't touch the gun issue at all.

some Democrats who ran as jesuit style christians could help the party. is there really anyone that is turned off by Christian talk that isn't thinly veiled hate speech? I'm not sure if a compassionate christian could win in districts where religion is still a major issue, but they could help soften Republican's positions on the campaign trail.

and some change on immigration policy would be good. I think a reasonable position would be to reduce the "skilled workers" we are letting in and offer training to Americans to fill those positions instead. doesn't matter if it actually worked out that way, it would be good campaign rhetoric.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

love that boy

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

https://twitter.com/douthatnyt/status/694357025917161473

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno, I kinda... doubt that *laugh track*

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

he had a ceiling and he broke through it wonka-vator style

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Joementum posted:

That Ross Douthat is the one writing the "maybe the Democrats should give up on identity politics" take should tell you something about it.

And Mark Lilla too, the most centrist dweeb of all time.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
democrats should not have identity politics.....

when they dont have an identity!!!!!!11 :ironicat:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

if Ross Douthat ever tells you to do anything at all you should feel safe and confident doing exactly the opposite of that

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

i have no idea who he is i just saw that article title in my google now feed and immediately started getting angry

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

"If the Democratic party moves rightward, corporate interests can ensure a friendly government by making the American people choose between that or an insane fascist dictator, every four years until the end of time!"
"What if playing chicken backfires on us and we end up with the insane dictator instead?"
"It's fine, we'll infiltrate his government too so there's no harm done, to anyone I care about anyway."
"What about the left?"
"The left will vote however we want them to if the fascist is insane enough."
"What if they don't?"
"What, do they want the fascist to win? I think we know who the real fascists are."
Cool summary of the upcoming 2017 French elections.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Russ Douthat is a doodie head

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
What kind of social services are most likely to get hit hard in the immediate aftermath of the Trumpening? Spare me the nuke jokes please.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mr. Jive posted:

What kind of social services are most likely to get hit hard in the immediate aftermath of the Trumpening? Spare me the nuke jokes please.

How far down the pipe is your definition of immediate? Months, a year?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

democrats should not have identity politics.....

when they dont have an identity!!!!!!11 :ironicat:

you can't defeat what you can't identify

source: no one has ever killed a UFO

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

All of them?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the immediate stuff will be anything the executive agencies have control over, so FCC, SEC, FEC, CFPB, etc will all be gutted

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
completely unfair that the government has to decide whether a drug is "safe" or "effective", time to let the free market sort that out by gutting the fda too

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

in 8 years we'll probably be buying website packages from ATT that dictate which sites we can visit

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Jive posted:

Paul Ryan wants to gut everything.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Karl Barks posted:

the immediate stuff will be anything the executive agencies have control over, so FCC, SEC, FEC, CFPB, etc will all be gutted

Most sure-fire way to turn Dixie blue.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Karl Barks posted:

in 8 years we'll probably be buying website packages from ATT that dictate which sites we can visit

Trump's FCC is absolutely gonna kill net neutrality and we'll be so busy with the death camps etc that we won't even notice

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

We have to be impartial, here go read this stack of lies on the air as if they have factual merit

lol I bet Brian Williams manages to get his old job back now that the truth decisively doesn't matter

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Barks posted:

see you in the bing.com news comments sections

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm sure this'll sound extremely callus but I think it'll take a huge gutting of those social services for the poor rurals to truly feel the effect of their decision and that them voting against their best interests for so long have finally caught up to them.

I'm by no means for the FYGM, die in the streets approach but you have people like BOB 4 TRUMP on Twitter or whatever his name is all in for Trump but at the same time screaming to not take away his federal benefits.

What the gently caress did you think would happen when you voted for Trump, dude? Obama et al at least fought to keep these benefits in tact, now you have a team that wants to gut it all and I don't know how much power Democrats have to stop it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Louisgod posted:

I'm sure this'll sound extremely callus but I think it'll take a huge gutting of those social services for the poor rurals to truly feel the effect of their decision and that them voting against their best interests for so long have finally caught up to them.

I'm by no means for the FYGM, die in the streets approach but you have people like BOB 4 TRUMP on Twitter or whatever his name is all in for Trump but at the same time screaming to not take away his federal benefits.

What the gently caress did you think would happen when you voted for Trump, dude? Obama et al at least fought to keep these benefits in tact, now you have a team that wants to gut it all and I don't know how much power Democrats have to stop it.

This happened with Brexit too. Republicans have mastered the art of getting poor white people to vote against the interests of everyone but the rich.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
How can we get an adult to take charge of the Democrats' social media presence

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

I dated a girl in high school and her dad was a huge conservative. When his business went under he took some food stamps, etc but still hated people that were on them

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

eonwe posted:

I dated a girl in high school and her dad was a huge conservative. When his business went under he took some food stamps, etc but still hated people that were on them

every conservative has a special circumstance why its ok if THEY are on foodstamps

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

How can we get an adult to take charge of the Democrats' social media presence

Invite all the people likely to run it to a fish fry and see who shows up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
but, having grown up very immersed in rural Texas, i do not think it will change the average working class rural white voter's views on anything

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

comingafteryouall posted:

some Democrats who ran as jesuit style christians could help the party. is there really anyone that is turned off by Christian talk that isn't thinly veiled hate speech?

Yes.

Look up their reactions to Reverend Barber at the DNC.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Nov 30, 2016

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Louisgod posted:

They'll double down on Trumpism before they admit they made a mistake.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

eonwe posted:

You went out with Craig T. Nelson's daughter?

https://youtu.be/yTwpBLzxe4U

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KaptainKrunk posted:

They'll double down on Trumpism before they admit they made a mistake.

Obama increased the debt so much with Obamacare that Medicare went bankrupt.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Yes.

you got any links to people who didn't love that speech?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Fulchrum posted:

Yes.

part of the problem is that christianity as written barely exists in the united states anymore. the tenets of the republican party are the tenets of christianity in most people's minds. ill never forget the time my dad tried to tell me that "teach a man to fish" was something said by the guy that literally gave a bunch of people fish

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Louisgod posted:

Of course! Hopeless and poverty will make these people see reason!

*Whistles as I walk by an appalachian rowhouse with 8 occupants and no electricity*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

big black turnout posted:

part of the problem is that christianity as written barely exists in the united states anymore. the tenets of the republican party are the tenets of christianity in most people's minds. ill never forget the time my dad tried to tell me that "teach a man to fish" was something said by the guy that literally gave a bunch of people fish

Drinking is bad *turns water into wine*

• Locked thread