Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The premiere shows them replaying the end of ME3 to prepare for Androidema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

A Glen Cook version of Mass Effect where shepard's team is just another merc unit and they join the reapers directly under sovereign, but harbinger is a dick and keeps loving with them because he wants to usurp sovereign's position, so shepard's team lays a trap for harbinger, and in order to kill him they hold him down with a massive energy grid or space magic doohickey and hack off every one of of his tentacles, bisect his body and bury the brain separately. It'd be so loving great, especially when he comes back because some other dickhead goes and digs him up. And you have to kill him again.

Basically if Glen Cook wrote Mass Effect we'd have shepard becoming the avatar of a god to fistfight the leviathans, who would still be controlling the reapers. And it would be metal as gently caress. The beginning of game three would be told from Traynor's perspective until a bunch of other plot characters like Garrus and Tali die, and then right when Traynor dies, Shepard, who had been missing up to this point and presumed dead, shows up to pick the banner up and resume being the perspective character.

gently caress dude, I just want Glen Cook to write for any game at this point. I don't even remember what I was gonna say about Lt. Dan's posts now except "lol" because I'm just thinking about how many reapers would get killed by shepard just because they were politically in the way instead of some dumb "save the universe" bullshit.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Basic Chunnel posted:

Might work out that way for Rannoch, but the villainy of the Quarian hawks is undercut and softened by the constant harping on the hardship of their diaspora in games previous. They're on the cusp of retaking their Holy Landhomeworld and just about everybody (Tali included) has tacitly concluded that not living at all is better than continuing to live off-Rannoch. That the Geth would have let them return if they had just been willing to talk is, if nothing else, a contrivance that throws their previous characterization.

quote:

Tali: We've got the largest fleet in the galaxy. If you can help us, we'll hit the Reapers with everything we've got. Or however much is left from this stupid war.

Tali: Xen backed the invasion, largely as a chance to test her toys. Raan gave provisional support. Only Koris opposed the war with me. And he was right. We could lose the whole fleet, Shepard.

Dorn'Hazt: Please, listen. The Civilian Fleet didn't want this war. If there's even a chance that Admiral Koris can get us out alive...

Rael'Zorah and Daro'Xen literally commit war crimes in ME2 and Tali enlists your help in covering them up for her loyalty mission.

quote:

As for the Turian Hierarchy, they're never less than valorous

Saren.

quote:

As for Cerberus, they're barely an entity in ME1 and only become villains when they are infiltrated and go turncoat in ME3. ME2 doesn't even take seriously the arguments that Shepard is working with terrorists (even when they're directly and openly responsible for Shepard's supposedly formative traumas), because the Council and Alliance are willfully blind, per usual.

TIM: Yes, I knew Freedom's Progress was attacked by Collectors, I lied about it because I wanted you to investigate with an open mind.

TIM: Yes, I leaked information about you and the Virmire Survivor so the Collectors would attack Horizon, because that way we were expecting the attack and I could send you to intercept.

TIM: Yes, I fed you misinformation and knowingly sent you into a trap aboard the Collector Ship that would later cause your entire crew to be kidnapped by the Collectors, because that was our best chance of getting data on the Omega-4 Relay.

TIM: Shepard, give me control of the genocide factory.

quote:

Sometimes you just have to accept that fascism without ethno-nationalist mythopoeia or nationalized industry is still fascism

This is kinda weak man.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the gameplay will hopefully be good and cool because it's year four of The Dang Endings and idk man

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pattonesque posted:

the gameplay will hopefully be good and cool because it's year four of The Dang Endings and idk man

I look forward to this time next year when we are all extolling the cohesiveness and ambition of Mass Effect 3's story against Andromeda.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

I look forward to this time next year when we are all extolling the cohesiveness and ambition of Mass Effect 3's story against Andromeda.

Same

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If Andromeda is a above average spaceshootymans I think a lot will be forgiven (as long as it doesn't try to be actively stupid like DA2)

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The conclusion to the Mass Effect Trilogy is unforgivable.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Yes, there is nothing to forgive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Agreed. It failed in its mission to prevent more Mass Effect games from being made.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I found out that the new multiplayer is Dragon Age style instead of ME3 style RIP game

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Now I remember: the worst part about mass effect's ending isn't that it's a mcguffin, since the story was always basically the same as Lord of the Rings, except you have to go find the ring first. It was always going to be finished in a small scale action with set pieces much larger than the end because it was the only reasonable way to maintain humanity(along with various blue lesbians and frog people) fighting to survive with everything they had against a foe they couldn't possibly defeat conventionally without lots of help, which they weren't getting.

Paragon shep should have been about getting everyone to work together because the power of friendship, and renegade shep should have been all about using the McGuffin to become the machine god to solve the problem on their own because people are stupid and you don't trust them.

Instead the writers made it so "THIS IS HOW THE GAME WILL END" and wrote themselves into a corner by making all roads lead to that end instead of writing each path along until they reached their own logical conclusions, good or bad. Maybe if you're middling Shepard, everyone loses because you didn't have the balls to make poo poo happen. Maybe that's when the synthetic ending happens because you're not decisive and the kid just makes the decision for you. Maybe you just die when the laser hits you because you're a baby back bitch and didn't commit, and the game's message is to commit to something. Either way, they started with the premise that "Shepard must win, and this is the only way shepard can win" and that by itself defeated any ending they could come up with within those guidelines.

At the same time, I think of ME3 as a necessary game to play if you played through ME1&2, but only because it's where the subplots are resolved, like the genophage subplot and the geth vs quarian subplot, and those were handled fairly well, I think. They just didn't really matter after Marauder Shields.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

exquisite tea posted:

Agreed. It failed in its mission to prevent more Mass Effect games from being made.

i'm not sure how it would have been possible to prevent mass effect: the quest for more money from happening short of destroying ea

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hated the ending when everything turned red so I tried the ending where everything turned green instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

i'm not sure how it would have been possible to prevent mass effect: the quest for more money from happening short of destroying ea

Well I didn't think goons would possibly be hyped about a game where we've seen almost nothing substantial, that's been delayed a million times and had a bunch of project leads quit while promoting robust features like mineral collection, but the goon springs eternal. I bet half the thread slams down a $69.99 pre-order tomorrow when your Turian squadmate quips about having their sniper rifle recalibrated.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping they have a minigame where you shoot bottles

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lt. Danger posted:

Yes, there is nothing to forgive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I always wondered if destroying the relay network as a P/R choice for the player might have been interesting.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Well I didn't think goons would possibly be hyped about a game where we've seen almost nothing substantial, that's been delayed a million times and had a bunch of project leads quit while promoting robust features like mineral collection, but the goon springs eternal. I bet half the thread slams down a $69.99 pre-order tomorrow when your Turian squadmate quips about having their sniper rifle recalibrated.

I'm hopeful the game will be good, because life is a little better when you have things to look forward to even if they might suck later, but please don't preorder games anymore. There's no reason to do it and it promotes a really lovely business model that is partially why so many of the big games coming out suck big donkey dicks.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

exquisite tea posted:

Hmm yes maybe thats it or maybe it's because all their games have been good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zzulu posted:

People preorder Bethesda games, and all Bethesda games have been bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Even setting aside personal taste for a minute, literally only crazy people like DA2. This is a known fact.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I'm mildly excited about Andromeda because DA:I was a mostly okay game and I like the Mass Effect universe more than Dragon Age. I don't think Andromeda will be great but if it's Inquisition-level quality I'll be satisfied. I hope this is an acceptable opinion.

edit: vvv sorry :(

peer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 30, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

peer posted:

I'm mildly excited about Andromeda because DA:I was a mostly okay game and I like the Mass Effect universe more than Dragon Age. I don't think Andromeda will be great but if it's Inquisition-level quality I'll be satisfied. I hope this is an acceptable opinion.

that's ridiculous

the game will be poo poo. it is known

it is made by the hack frauds who made DA2 and some other games no one remembers

itll be bad

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Alain Post posted:

People preorder Bethesda games, and all Bethesda games have been bad.

"ME3 had a good ending and All Bethesda games are bad" - a retard gimmick guy

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
The DA2 guys weren't all bad, they had some good ideas but unfortunately choose to cut possibly the worse corners they could have cut given the insane timeline fostered upon them by EA. The ridiculous press stuff certainly didn't help.

Don't get me wrong DA2 was a very bad game but you could literally see the good ideas being crushed by the bad processes and decisions.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Are there any material consquences to your lack of forgiveness.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought people liked the citadel dlc stuff? I never played it but as I understand it had a better sendoff for your crew and stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Well that $5.99 "deal with it" Ryder sunglasses cosmetic pack is DEFINITELY off the table until Bioware can redeem itself!!

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Yeah I'm not preordering this new likely garbage game and I'll be waiting for a lot of reviews from places with no bought and paid for relationship with EA to see if I should buy it.

I preordered ME2 and 3 without a second thought.

I went through this same process with DAI after the DA2 debacle. It wasn't an A+++ game but after reading the reviews and weighing my options I bought it. That wasn't guaranteed though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Honestly, as an ending for a sprawling sci fi epic in which the fate of galaxy is at stake, humanity building an experimental superweapon using salvaged plans that turns out to give them a direct line to the central intelligence controlling all the reapers, and humans proceeding to either kill it to destroy all the reapers, exploit it to take psychic command of the reapers, or secure its cooperation in augmenting all existing life with biocybernetics such that humans and the reapers are forever after the same species, is pretty good.

The problem ME3 had was that it couldn't be assed to foreshadow this even a little bit. If you've got the Leviathan DLC it goes a little bit smoother (I did not have that DLC, but I saw my friend play through with it recently), but really you should've gotten to visit the Catalyst at multiple points throughout the game, listened to scientists speculate that its function was sending some kind of signal or energy blast through the mass relay network, maybe even gotten to speak with the ai living inside the catalyst repeatedly and used dialogue options to either torture information out of it or ultimately persuade it to cooperate with/uplift you.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

I thought people liked the citadel dlc stuff? I never played it but as I understand it had a better sendoff for your crew and stuff

Citadel was just as dissonant in tone as the ending compared to the "reapers killing the entire galaxy" ongoing main plot, but at least it wasn't retarded garbage.

It was a well done and fun piece of DLC that shouldn't have ever been made.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ferrinus posted:

Honestly, as an ending for a sprawling sci fi epic in which the fate of galaxy is at stake, humanity building an experimental superweapon using salvaged plans that turns out to give them a direct line to the central intelligence controlling all the reapers, and humans proceeding to either kill it to destroy all the reapers, exploit it to take psychic command of the reapers, or secure its cooperation in augmenting all existing life with biocybernetics such that humans and the reapers are forever after the same species, is pretty good.

The problem ME3 had was that it couldn't be assed to foreshadow this even a little bit. If you've got the Leviathan DLC it goes a little bit smoother (I did not have that DLC, but I saw my friend play through with it recently), but really you should've gotten to visit the Catalyst at multiple points throughout the game, listened to scientists speculate that its function was sending some kind of signal or energy blast through the mass relay network, maybe even gotten to speak with the ai living inside the catalyst repeatedly and used dialogue options to either torture information out of it or ultimately persuade it to cooperate with/uplift you.

Yeah. One of the best bits of the ending, the destruction of the Relay network, also isn't foreshadowed at all, when it could have been the focal point of a final choice the player makes. It's one of the biggest events in galactic history and it just kind of happens without warning.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah it's almost as if they left the resolution of a major 3 arc and game storyline to 2 retards in a broom closet the night before pressing it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Actually, my secret hope is that the green ending of ME3 is canon, and after a game or two in which you bring peace and prosperity throughout Andromeda you must deal with the latest and greatest threat: the machine-men from your original galaxy have come to forcibly assimilate Andromeda into their glittering utopia.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah it's almost as if they left the resolution of a major 3 arc and game storyline to 2 retards in a broom closet the night before pressing it.

Oh for sure. You really get the feeling that the Catalyst stuff was thought up a week prior to release and just jammed in there.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
If the events of ME:A center around planet Culpa I'll forgive them.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

Yeah. One of the best bits of the ending, the destruction of the Relay network, also isn't foreshadowed at all, when it could have been the focal point of a final choice the player makes. It's one of the biggest events in galactic history and it just kind of happens without warning.

even better the only way they do foreshadow it is that "when a Mass Relay is destroyed it is a solar system-killing event"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alain Post posted:

When ME2 first came out I predicted that the fate of the mass relays would be bound up with the Reapers, since it's so critical to the plot and function of all these games. I thought that the final choice would come down to destroying the relays in order to vanquish the Reapers, or keeping them somehow, leading to a more uncertain future. BUT as it turned out that didn't happen, or it did, but almost as an afterthought like "oh yeah, and your entire technology for traversing the galaxy will be destroyed and you'll never be able to get outside your own solar systems ever again."

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Then I read about the Bungie management reviewing the Destiny original story out of a similar fear and LOL at the truly amazing story results that can come from giving the story serious attention from on high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

When ME2 first came out I predicted that the fate of the mass relays would be bound up with the Reapers, since it's so critical to the plot and function of all these games. I thought that the final choice would come down to destroying the relays in order to vanquish the Reapers, or keeping them somehow, leading to a more uncertain future. BUT as it turned out that didn't happen, or it did, but almost as an afterthought like "oh yeah, and your entire technology for traversing the galaxy will be destroyed and you'll never be able to get outside your own solar systems ever again."

Yeah, the whole "destroy the machine gods or co-opt them" should have been applied to the Relay network as a whole.