Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xsf421 posted:

At least as a linguist you're only there for a couple months? (I spent 10 months at Goodfellow and it was awful)
Word from the new people is they fixed it in, like, spring 2015. No curfew, no everyone marching at once to class, basically as chill as DLI. I think I heard something about co-ed visiting too, don't remember for sure.

between you and me i hear they even let em decide whether they wanna carry water instead of telling them everyone has to or nobody can. the lucky fuckers. best keep this quiet though :ssh:

But yeah I loved DLI, for whoever it was that asked, but it seems to be highly variable. I actually had friends back then, for homework my teachers only gave us an hour ok let's face it I pencil whipped that poo poo right before class... then I hear other people basically lived homework and did nothing else, ever, cause they had so much. You all can still, like, drink and don't have to march and poo poo, you can get off post after like a month or whatever and are basically treated as humans, or at least human children, right?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
When I was being poo poo on by my previous squadron with the article 15, I was forced to stay in billeting for longer than I intended. Rather than stay 2 days, I was forced to stay 7 or 8 days. When I got here to Laughlin, I stayed in TLF for 7 days while we waited on our HHGs to be delivered. The air force only pays for 10 days of TLF, so I'm going to get hosed out of making any money on per diem because I will need to pay the remaining ~18 days for TLF.

I was realizing this when I was filling out my travel voucher last week. The CC of the 14 FSS is going to get to punish me twice; with his laughably trivial suspended bust, and having cost me all of my per diem on top of it.

I feel this is a legitimate gripe.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
Is there a huge difference/advantage in being a 1N051 in a network warefare sq vs a intelligence sq?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Knives Amilli posted:

Is there a huge difference/advantage in being a 1N051 in a network warefare sq vs a intelligence sq?

The only difference might be the classification level of your powerpoint slides.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So I just had an interesting experience I just had to post about online.

We're doing FPCON exercises which means restricted parking.

I was parked inside the cordon/ropes, along with 1-4 other vehicles still left. As I was walking out, there was a mini-SUV doing oblong 360s before finally coming to a rest in a weird direction.

We were completely surrounded.

I untied the plastic rope, put it on the ground, drove 10 feet to outside the barrier, and walked back to re-tie the rope.

As I was walking back, the mini-SUV pulled up, rolled down the window, and a TSgt (SSgt?) thanked me and drove off.

I retied the rope, and was thinking what if I had never shown up? Would she have just sat in her car? Would she have called SFS? Would she have died of starvation? How long was she just going to sit there?

The world may never know, but I'd like to think I saved her from the invisible cage she was trapped in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's like the two wiener dogs that were surrounded by a circle of beer cans, but only one was smart enough to jump out.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

From JQP:

Watch: Anti-drone protesters attempt to citizen arrest the commander of Creech AFB

Kind of anti climatic at the end, but humorous to watch nonetheless

xaarman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 2, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

THE WHOLE WORLD IS WATCHING

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I've been tapped to lead an Airmen and NCO professional enhancement course (PEC) on 16 December. I'm told I need to influence airmen on how to remain resilient while facing odds against them, and that the air force isn't a one mistake machine.

I have never been so clueless on how to do something in my air force career.

I have no idea what to do.

I cry out for your help. Help me :smith:

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 3, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Tell them your story and then McNally's and end it with, "See, atleast we aren't the Army"

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

lite_sleepr posted:

I've been tapped to lead an Airmen and NCO professional enhancement course (PEC) on 16 December. I'm told I need to influence airmen on how to remain resilient while facing odds against them, and that the air force isn't a one mistake machine.

Tell them the truth. The Air Force will screw them at every possible opportunity.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I have a suspended bust because an E4 I told to get ready wasn't ready, so I at least won't be a liar?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

lite_sleepr posted:

I really want to tell you to sit down with the person who picked you, tell them your loving story, and say that you won't lie to your Airmen.

But that's probably not going to help things for you. :smith:

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Man, considering everything you've been through recently, you might have the most fitting username on these forums.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I got a great idea.

Tell them you want to have the class given by an AF vet. Give them some bullshit line about how it will sound more genuine coming from someone who was in, got out and did the civilian thing after. So they truly understand the difference.

Then have one of us do it.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to Shim it up with some Airmen.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lite_sleepr posted:

Tell them that no matter how bad things look, they can work together to shame and humiliate toxic leaders.

A couple months back, my Lt Col CC publicly belittled and mocked an NCO who asked for help in a section that was overworked and undermanned. Unfortunately for him, the junior NCOs remembered that incident a few weeks later when we got a command directed anonymous climate assessment survey. Word trickled down that the fullbird read each and every negative review, and was pissed. The CC's been making an obvious (if probably insincere) effort to be nice to the troops and remind them of how proud we all are of their work. :rolleye:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The stepson of one of our members is now part of the organization too. Now I've seen everything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

The stepson of one of our members is now part of the organization too. Now I've seen everything.

I saw a guy (who married an older woman) instruct her son (something like 5 years younger than him) at an FTU.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

I saw a guy (who married an older woman) instruct her son (something like 5 years younger than him) at an FTU.
She's probably 30 now, married a guy who's in his mid-40s now. The kid is 21 or 22. Back when she started and was one of my troops she spent a fair amount of time bitching about how he dropped out of college to find himself. Which meant that he was sitting around in his room playing video games. Previously they thought it would be a good idea to allow one of our guy's girlfriend in despite her getting kicked out of ROTC for bad grades, which was weird. It was not a good idea.

I look forward to him screaming that she's not his real mom.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Wow. There's nothing new about the Guard being the "bring your kid to work" day that never ends, but usually the kid's the dumb one, not the parent.

edit: upon re-reading, maybe they're both dumb

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
It used to be you used the same system to order printer paper, pens, ect that you would use to order stuff like biopsy forceps and lab sample cups. Around late last year or early this year they changed it up that you had to order office type supplies from a new website and as far as I could tell the people who ordered supplies actually liked that system better since the new office supply website had pictures and generally better descriptions of the product you were buying than the old system. Well a few months ago they decided that instead of ordering office supplies off of the new website medical logistics would dispense office supplies for around one hour a day one day a week. This system was obviously not much liked since people often missed the pretty small time window to get sharpies or printer paper.

They finally managed to outdue themselves last week though when logistics managed to run out of printer paper to dispense. Your whole job is to order supplies in bulk and you just completely gently caress up in ordering something everyone uses everyday and has to be a regularly ordered item.

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
Sitting in TAP class right now.

I would like to dedicate this week of misery to the millions of retarded junior enlisted kids who are so bad at life, that Congress had to pass a law mandating a class that teaches them not to poo poo on the desk and smear it on the walls during an interview.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Finding out that apparently KI Sawyer was quite the plum assignment back in the day.

It's where my parents met :allears:

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

Rekinom posted:

Sitting in TAP class right now.

I would like to dedicate this week of misery to the millions of retarded junior enlisted kids who are so bad at life, that Congress had to pass a law mandating a class that teaches them not to poo poo on the desk and smear it on the walls during an interview.

Congratulations, got an interview yet?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

xaarman posted:

Congratulations, got an interview yet?

Better than that -- got the job already.

edit: also doing a reserve gig because hey why not

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wow whats the job?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I posted that SJ uniform arbitration thing a few weeks ago. Just found out that as soon as they're out of uniform, ARTs reserve wide are as well. Not shaving and shorts in the summer are going to be so so nice.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Had my ALS graduation today, somehow walked away with Distinguished Grad and Academic Achievement awards despite telling my flight daily "Don't listen to me, I have brain damage."

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Softface posted:

Had my ALS graduation today, somehow walked away with Distinguished Grad and Academic Achievement awards despite telling my flight daily "Don't listen to me, I have brain damage."

Surprised they didn't give you Levitow then

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Ckwiesr posted:

I posted that SJ uniform arbitration thing a few weeks ago. Just found out that as soon as they're out of uniform, ARTs reserve wide are as well. Not shaving and shorts in the summer are going to be so so nice.

Wonderful now I get to look at a bunch of overweight guys wearing shirts that are 15 years old and typically have some type of stupid saying on them.

Though I'm jelaous of the shorts thing, that would kick rear end.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Rythe posted:

Wonderful now I get to look at a bunch of overweight guys wearing shirts that are 15 years old and typically have some type of stupid saying on them.

Oh man, this is so true. Don't forget cut off jorts that are way to short. Also, not shaving.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

nullscan posted:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

nullscan posted:

I'm almost certain that if they didn't, it's because they didn't want all the "good" EPR bullets to go to only one person.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
It's more likely he was late once or something silly like that. Levitow has always been more about not failing than it is about excelling.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

At least my base is actually cracking down hard on ART PT failures to the point of pulling stripes and other discipline measures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rythe posted:

At least my base is actually cracking down hard on ART PT failures to the point of pulling stripes and other discipline measures.

Do they need to be able to run for their job? (A question I was asked when I got my Med Board)

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Belgian Waffle posted:

It's more likely he was late once or something silly like that. Levitow has always been more about not failing than it is about excelling.

At my ALS, each award went to different people by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Do they need to be able to run for their job? (A question I was asked when I got my Med Board)

CommieGIR posted:

Hell no, these guys rarely deploy too, that still isn't stopping people from losing rank and positions.

• Locked thread