Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Yes, one of the alternative Earths has a black Superman, who is kind of an Obama figure. He is currently in the Earth 2 final countdown comics.

John Henry Irons AKA Steel was one of the 4 Supermen running around Death and Return, and is currently dating Lana Lang, who absorbed some of the powers from the recently deceased Superman, who has been replaced by the Earth Prime Superman from the mid 90's.

Fluffdaddy fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
There's also Icon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_(comics)

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Unfortunately Dwayne McDuffie died a few years ago. He created Static Shock and was one of the few black writers in comics :(

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fluffdaddy posted:

Unfortunately Dwayne McDuffie died a few years ago. He created Static Shock and was one of the few black writers in comics :(

Yeah, I'm not a big comic reader so I knew him mostly from the great interviews he gave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u16sKK-1oLQ

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fluffdaddy posted:

Yes, one of the alternative Earths has a black Superman, who is kind of an Obama figure. He is currently in the Earth 2 final countdown comics.

John Henry Irons AKA Steel was one of the 4 Supermen running around Death and Return, and is currently dating Lana Lang, who absorbed some of the powers from the recently deceased Superman, who has been replaced by the Earth Prime Superman from the mid 90's.

Like do any of them deal with issues of responsibility like Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman? It just got me to thinking that if Superman was black, would he attempt to save a racist society? What would he use his powers for? Also, how would white society treat a Demigod that is basically their savior?

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

blackguy32 posted:

Like do any of them deal with issues of responsibility like Man of Steel or Batman vs Superman? It just got me to thinking that if Superman was black, would he attempt to save a racist society? What would he use his powers for? Also, how would white society treat a Demigod that is basically their savior?

Marvel has a black Superman analog in Blue Marvel that directly deals with this issue.

Synopsis is that Blue Marvel was a big superhero in the 60s until they found out he was black which scared the poo poo out of white people. He was a former soldier and the President asked him to retire and scrubbed his existence from the books until his nemesis popped back into scene and he was forced to come out of retirement to fight them.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Fluffdaddy posted:

There're two black Supermen in the known DC multiverse - Earth-23's, who's the Obama figure, and Earth-2's, who's the second Superman of his universe.

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

There's rumblings of Milestone Comics, which created Icon and company, making a return. We'll see what happens.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Fluffdaddy posted:

He also wrote some really good story lines for the animated justice League series in the early 2000s

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pastrymancy posted:

He also wrote some really good story lines for the animated justice League series in the early 2000s

Did he do the one where they went into the silver age comic universe?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Did he do the one where they went into the silver age comic universe?

That was Legends, written by Kreisberg iirc. You know it was him because much like how Stein tells Jax to "use his natural athleticism", (except without the hint of irony) it involves the white characters telling Jon Stewart he's "one of the good ones" or something like that

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Koalas March posted:

That was Legends, written by Kreisberg iirc. You know it was him because much like how Stein tells Jax to "use his natural athleticism", (except without the hint of irony) it involves the white characters telling Jon Stewart he's "one of the good ones" or something like that

Yeah, one of the fictional silver age heroes tells Stewart he's "a credit to his race."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

It actually plays out like

Jon - "It's an honor to fight beside you sir."

Racist JSA member - "The feeling is mutual. You're a credit to your people, son."

Jon (lagging behind a bit processing what was just said to him) - *scowling face* "Uh, thanks..."

The storyline ends with the racist JSA sacrificing themselves to save Jon and the rest of the Justice League (because it turns out their whole reality was some kind of psychic projection and they weren't "real" anyway, so they might as well go out fighting to save the "real" world).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The storyline ends with the racist JSA sacrificing themselves to save Jon and the rest of the Justice League (because it turns out their whole reality was some kind of psychic projection and they weren't "real" anyway, so they might as well go out fighting to save the "real" world).

If I remember right, it was a Fallout-style parallel world that got nuked back during the early 60s and the area was ruled by a psychic mutant kid who created the JSA from fond memories and forced the other survivors to play-act minor roles in his idealized town.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

blackguy32 posted:

Has there ever been a black Superman?

Above The Law sang about him once.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
You know you grew up in the hood when the first thing you see on Facebook is multiple people you grew up with selling clean piss 2 for 1 because you can't trust your kids piss no more.

Also, I want to see a black Superman set in current day where he sees white people elected Trump and decides "nope, you're on y'all own" and literally just helped black people and even goes so far as to a Katrina type situation he only saves black people. When the government questions him he hits them with that same Supreme Court ruling that the police are not obligated to actually help people, so neither is he. That would be a fantastic storyline to explore.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

negromancer posted:

Also, I want to see a black Superman set in current day where he sees white people elected Trump and decides "nope, you're on y'all own" and literally just helped black people and even goes so far as to a Katrina type situation he only saves black people. When the government questions him he hits them with that same Supreme Court ruling that the police are not obligated to actually help people, so neither is he. That would be a fantastic storyline to explore.

Fingers crossed, but I expect something like that to actually happen at some point during the next four years.

I mean, we had a "de-powered Superman stands between cops and a protest gathering, culminating in Superman finally punching out/beating up the cops because they would not consider letting people have a peaceful gathering" story that pissed off a bunch of crybaby cop unions not long ago.

We also need Sam Wilson (the current Captain America) to give an "America is full of racist trash" speech.

Edited to remove an unnecessary adjective.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 30, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dwayne McDuffie was a gem and the world is worse without him in it.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

We also need Sam Wilson (the current Captain America) to give an "America is full of racist trash" speech.

Remember when Sam fought the Sons of the Serpent and conservatives got all mad because hey this KKK analogue is too much like us!

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 30, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Truth: Red, White, and Black is a comic mini-series which introduces the canon Original-and-Black Captain America. To avoid taking up too much space gushing, I'll limit my spoilers to the code word "Tuskeegee."

It was drawn by Kyle Baker, who I believe was the source of the observation that, to most comic book readers, it only takes three black characters to make it "a black comic." I think I heard this in context of The Crew getting canceled at only seven issues. :(

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Remember at the beginning of Civil War II when they killed Rhodie for no loving reason and then all the black Marvel characters had a black folks meeting and talked all slang and out of character? Between this and magical white man Tony Stark in new Irongirl's suit, I dunno if I trust Marvel with anything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fluffdaddy posted:

magical white man Tony Stark in new Irongirl's suit, I dunno if I trust Marvel with anything.

Yeah, that was an immediate turn-off to me.

I was hoping Riri would immediately be all "Thanks for the hardware, Tony, but I'm re-writing the actual AI to be something that will actually be useful to me. I don't need a rich white alcoholic giving me advice."

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

You know you grew up in the hood when the first thing you see on Facebook is multiple people you grew up with selling clean piss 2 for 1 because you can't trust your kids piss no more.

It'd be great for pointing out how horrible the U.S. Government is toward black folks, but yikes. Granted, I'm also of the mind that Superman as he is normally is a monster who picks and chooses who lives and dies on a whim. How many incidents of domestic abuse or rape are going on in Metropolis any time he's out to dinner with Lois Lane, or playing dress up Reporter Man? No way he doesn't hear that poo poo going on all around him.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is this where I post this?

Ohio voters, ladies and gentlemen.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Teikanmi posted:

Is this where I post this?

Ohio voters, ladies and gentlemen.

I assume that's a different Keith Scott?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

It'd be great for pointing out how horrible the U.S. Government is toward black folks, but yikes. Granted, I'm also of the mind that Superman as he is normally is a monster who picks and chooses who lives and dies on a whim. How many incidents of domestic abuse or rape are going on in Metropolis any time he's out to dinner with Lois Lane, or playing dress up Reporter Man? No way he doesn't hear that poo poo going on all around him.

True enough. I think about poo poo like that all the time in relation to superheroes. I think Civil War (the Cap movie) tried to do this in the most inoffensive way possible without alienating white people (which any real cause they used would in some way).

Also, I'm 10 inches.

It's like a baguette.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

negromancer posted:

True enough. I think about poo poo like that all the time in relation to superheroes. I think Civil War (the Cap movie) tried to do this in the most inoffensive way possible without alienating white people (which any real cause they used would in some way).

Also, I'm 10 inches.

It's like a baguette.

The original comic version of Civil War straight up blew my mind with how wrong of a direction they took it. They took an allegory for Muslim persecution after 9/11 and decided "nah, fascism and paranoia are right." Up to and including a scene with firemen, paramedics and police dragging Captain America off of Iron Man.

Oh and murdered Goliath, a long time hero of color, without much of a peep.

Congratulations! This friggin redtext man...you ask one question about "positive" stereotyping and bam.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Talmonis posted:

The original comic version of Civil War straight up blew my mind with how wrong of a direction they took it. They took an allegory for Muslim persecution after 9/11 and decided "nah, fascism and paranoia are right." Up to and including a scene with firemen, paramedics and police dragging Captain America off of Iron Man.

Oh and murdered Goliath, a long time hero of color, without much of a peep.

Congratulations! This friggin redtext man...you ask one question about "positive" stereotyping and bam.

Yeah it's actually weird how the movie managed to introduce more subtlety than the comic.

And your redtext is hilarious.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I still love Civil war. Well I mean it's main books sucked.

But a ton of the side stories actually had writers who were like wait. No What Tony is doing/advocating for is wrong as poo poo. Lets do a dive into just how loving wrong he is.

That Avengers initiative run with Cloud 9 is still one of my favorite comic runs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

negromancer posted:

Yeah it's actually weird how the movie managed to introduce more subtlety than the comic.

And your redtext is hilarious.

Does the movie have that rant about how out of touch Captain America was because he doesn't watch NASCAR or use Facebook

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

exploded mummy posted:

Does the movie have that rant about how out of touch Captain America was because he doesn't watch NASCAR or use Facebook

No, but it let's Agent 13 give the tree speech in a abridged form as opposed to Cap giving it.

They addressed his lack of understanding modern history in the opening of Winter Soldier.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

exploded mummy posted:

Whoo boy was Frontline comical. And whoo boy does it reek of editorial meddling.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Correction: it was MySpace

negromancer posted:

No, but it let's Agent 13 give the tree speech in a abridged form as opposed to Cap giving it.

lol

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That Civil War Rewrite was pretty good tbh.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

exploded mummy posted:

Correction: it was MySpace

lol

Right, I forget how bad comic books are sometimes. Thanks for digging that up.

Sad truth is that it turned out to be prophetic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Talmonis posted:

I mean, to be fair, it did wind up exactly how Cap feared. Green Goblin was in charge of all the superheroes and started doing a bunch of shady poo poo.

Cap was right all along, like always.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I mean, to be fair, it did wind up exactly how Cap feared. Green Goblin was in charge of all the superheroes and started doing a bunch of shady poo poo.

Cap was right all along, like always.

Except he was wrong and dangerously arrogant in the movie.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

negromancer posted:

Except he was wrong and dangerously arrogant in the movie.

Basically everyone was. The entire premise that sets the movie up is flimsy and stupid.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's been a while since I've read any Marvel comics but I vaguely remember that the comic Civil War was basically a ripoff of the backstory of Watchmen, where Superheroes were at risk of being banned if they didn't comply with new regulations.

They could have gone down an interesting route with this with regards to civil liberties and such but I remember it not being that nuanced at all.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Dwayne McDuffie was a gem and the world is worse without him in it.

Mods please rename me to DARK WHEELIE. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

negromancer posted:

Dude, this is Superman we're talking about, he will save literal mass murderers from dying at the risk of his own life, no way is any Superman worthy of that symbol leaving anyone to die if he can help it. I mean, he can give them a stern talking to, but he'll never turn down a cry for help, from anyone.
There were a couple of fun things with black Superman though. For one, everyone thought Lex Luthor (who was still white) was a racist. Two, the whole Justice league was also black, with one exception. Go on, can you guess who? :allears:

Talmonis posted:

You know what, if you save the world from the platonic ideal of evil, supergenius megalomaniacs and sentient stars on a regular basis, you loving deserve some time off in the evenings. It's like saying "Talmonis is a monster. How many people are starving or are going homeless while he's ordering chinese and watching crap on netflix? No way he doesn't know about all the poo poo going on all around him". Yeah, I can demand that you give up every single luxury in your life in the name of some sort of ideological purity, but i'ts kinda messed up to demand that of someone, especially if that someone is already spending a lot of time or money (or both) on helping people. That you expect Superman to be "on call" for every second of his life is hosed up. Dude saves the world twice before you've had your coffee, I think you can cut him some slack.

Why yes, I am a Superman fanboy, why do you ask?

Also, Civil war was poo poo. The writers knew that most people would agree with Tony so they had to make his side cartoonishly evil and make anyone supporting Tony a god drat moron (Reed Richerds, smartest man in the universe, unironically promoting Mcarthyism, for instance) to try to make both sides equally valid.

• Locked thread