Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I've been using Hexographer. It doesn't make the prettiest maps, but you can make very functional maps and do it pretty quickly. I've used it quite a bit for a while now and I think it was worth the cost for me personally. It is pretty janky and sometimes not user friendly, though.

There is a free trial you can play around with to see if you think it's right for you. You might even be able to get away with doing everything you want straight from the trial and never actually pay for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If you want some different utility and flavor you could also go Paladin/Warlock, though it's less powerful overall. You'll have fewer slots to play with but they recharge on a short rest and you get all kinds of pact/invocation goodies.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Can I just reiterate how loving dumb the term 'bonus action' is.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

kingcom posted:

Can I just reiterate how loving dumb the term 'bonus action' is.

If only there was a term for an action that is less time consuming than a standard action, like a smaller action, a lesser action... nope, can't think of anything.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

And then there's "other activity on your turn" like opening a door, shouting a few words, or whatever, which doesn't even have a concise name.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Bonus action is no less inane a terminology than minor action. The important thing is having consistent rules that specifically delineate how you are allowed to spend different slots in your action economy.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think bonus action works, considering that you don't always have one. I don't have the PHB handy, but I believe the verbiage emphasizes that you only have a bonus action if you have some ability or situation that grants one, i.e., it's a bonus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

404notfound posted:

I think bonus action works, considering that you don't always have one. I don't have the PHB handy, but I believe the verbiage emphasizes that you only have a bonus action if you have some ability or situation that grants one, i.e., it's a bonus.

You always have it, because if you didn't there are abilities that would be unuseable since they take a bonus action but don't say they grant it.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

You always have it, because if you didn't there are abilities that would be unuseable since they take a bonus action but don't say they grant it.

phb page 189 posted:

You can take a bonus action only when a special ability, spell, or other feature of the game states that you can do something as a bonus action. You otherwise don’t have a bonus action to take.

Thing using the bonus action doesn't need to explicitly state you gain one.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That sounds so redundant.

Of course if you have nothing that utilises that action, you dont have the action. Thats the same in any edition, in any game.
It seems so odd to me to state that as if it could somehow be different.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The problem is that elsewhere in the book it states that spells give you a bonus action that you take to do a thing. And the word "Bonus" usually means it's something extra that you wouldn't normally get. Though you're still restricted to only having one of them a turn.

5e's action economy is even worse than 4e's could ever aspire to be.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its like getting to the drivers seat through the passenger door.
Isnt it simpler to say: a standard turn has 1 major 1 minor 1 move action. And then say which moves take which? Since the vast majority of actions (should) fall into those neat pigeonholes cornercasing wont clutter up things.

But no you have to batural language it and you end up always having a bonus action except when youre not using it, which is a weird sort of retroactive lack of having one.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 30, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Spiteski posted:

That sounds so redundant.

Of course if you have nothing that utilises that action, you dont have the action. Thats the same in any edition, in any game.
It seems so odd to me to state that as if it could somehow be different.

Like a lot of rules, I imagine it came about to prevent exploitation. The way I read it is that you don't just get to do some extra little thing on your turn just because it seems reasonable. "Why can't I do X on my turn? Y is a bonus action and takes just as much effort." Like, it has to explicitly be a bonus action for you to use your bonus action.

Free actions, on the other hand, are a lot more nebulous and nitpicky.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The bonus action thing is a real trip for newer folks if they try to READ it and haven't seen another version of DnD for example. I'd read some 3.5, so I figured "Cool, I get one action, one bonus, and I get to move whenever". Someone joined up, and asked us how they got bonus actions, because hey, says they need to gain them to use them.

It really is way counter-intuitive the way it's worded, and the specific name "bonus" does nothing to help clarify that there isn't a special condition or anything (or even a way to lose it, from what I can tell).

That said, it'd be hilarious if they had the same wording for actions. "You can only take an action if you have an action to take.", and let people figure it out ask their DM.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
http://www.thewrap.com/lin-manuel-miranda-produce-feature-film-tv-series-kingkiller-chronicle/

Lim-Manuel Miranda posted:

Pat Rothfuss’ ‘Kingkiller’ books are among the most read and re-read in our home. It’s a world you want to spend lifetimes in, as his many fans will attest. Pat also writes about the act of MAKING music more beautifully than any novelist I’ve ever read. I can’t wait to play a part in bringing this world to life onscreen.

In a year of terrible things, this is quite promising.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
lmfao those books suck and so does Hamilton

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

:smith:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

SunAndSpring posted:

:sad:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The books were decently well-written at first, but I really despised Kvothe by the time I stopped reading.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well that's embarrassing. Can't wait to have a solid song about loving a sex goddess so good she gives you favors and then later reprising that song when he fucks people who don't know where babies come from.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

Barudak posted:

Well that's embarrassing. Can't wait to have a solid song about loving a sex goddess so good she gives you favors and then later reprising that song when he fucks people who don't know where babies come from.

So an 80's hair metal ballad then. I'm interested to see who they cast as the literal manic pixie dream girl.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

What do you guys like for making campaign maps? There seems to be a few software solutions out there, and I was thinking it would be more forgiving than ink & paper. Are any of them worth spending money on?

I use Photoshop along with this here simple guide.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

siggy2021 posted:

I've been using Hexographer. It doesn't make the prettiest maps, but you can make very functional maps and do it pretty quickly. I've used it quite a bit for a while now and I think it was worth the cost for me personally. It is pretty janky and sometimes not user friendly, though.

There is a free trial you can play around with to see if you think it's right for you. You might even be able to get away with doing everything you want straight from the trial and never actually pay for it.

Seconding hexographer, this was one of the fastest free trial to purchases I've made in a long time. Developer is really responsive to e-mails too when things feel wonky. Learning curve is a little janky but once you get it, it really works.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

What do you guys like for making campaign maps? There seems to be a few software solutions out there, and I was thinking it would be more forgiving than ink & paper. Are any of them worth spending money on?

I printed out a map of an area on earth (Denmark, Sweden, Norway, in my case), turn it 90', copy it onto a sheet of white printer paper.

Allow yourself to not copy perfectly. Errors or mistaking an offshore island for a peninsula are perfectly acceptable. Use a thick/dull pencil, not a mechanical or sharpie.

Look at a cartographer's guide to symbols for rivers, hills, mountains, swamps, cities, towns, etc. Fill in the map accordingly.

Scan map to digital, apply photoshop woodcarving filter.

Print map to page, photocopy 2-3 subsequent times so it gets to looking grainy and/or a bit warped.

Crumple up and uncrumple the paper a half dozen times to get that "worn" feel. Place the map under a ream of paper for a night or two to flatten back out.

Viola! Flavorful old map covering your campaign area. Can use maps of towns or counties as well. It's easy to break that down as it's a system, instead of a creative process.

Plus it's easy, wastes a good hour at work if you're into the office work sort of lifestyle, and it hits all the RP notes without getting all craft store grognardy about it.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Indeed!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Werewhale posted:

I use Photoshop along with this here simple guide.

I used this one and it turned out pretty good. Real fun adding details and stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/x6dQO1v.jpg

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Vengarr posted:

The books were decently well-written at first, but I really despised Kvothe by the time I stopped reading.

Yep, this. His only real struggles come from him just inexplicably doing nothing to help himself as poo poo gets worse.

The first book promises an epic tale, but then never even bothers starting it - instead it just does wizard school - with all the implausibility of Hogwarts but without any charm or whimsy whatsoever. It even has a Snape and a Dumbledore and a Hagrid and a Draco. But instead of a Hermione, his two friends are both guys... because all the girls are potential love interests and want to sleep with Harry.

So the second book is where it pays off, right? Nope. Kvothe at least tries to investigate the main mystery this time, but doesn't really find anything out that we didn't know halfway through the first book. There are a handful of half-baked mini-adventures in various locations. Whoever called it a bunch of filler is right on.

I wouldn't have finished it if I'd been actually reading, but I was listening to it as an audiobook while doing chores, and I actually like my audiobooks to be a bit trashy so I don't have to worry if I miss a few seconds or minutes while the sink runs or whatever. I'll probably listen to the third book when it comes out because I am a sucker and don't know when to quit.

Edit: I've never read a book that got so much buy-in from me and then completely squandered it by refusing to engage with the story I bought in for.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
See, those are the books I remember more fondly because I got the sense they were at least setting something up. Like "Here is where this guy came from, now we go do some Real poo poo". But no, it goes down from there instead of up.

I don't care how he killed the king now. Boredom, maybe.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Played my Monk tonight. Felt very underwhelming since the GM uses the normal 5e math. A +7 to hit and Spell Save DC of 14 doesn't go far when things have a 19 AC and +6 to any save I ask of them.

Incidentally, are there any good builds that revolve around missing very little? I'm guessing not, with the math in this system. Maybe a grappler would be useful..

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The author himself is also creepy as gently caress and has some major issues surrounding women.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Played my Monk tonight. Felt very underwhelming since the GM uses the normal 5e math. A +7 to hit and Spell Save DC of 14 doesn't go far when things have a 19 AC and +6 to any save I ask of them.

Incidentally, are there any good builds that revolve around missing very little? I'm guessing not, with the math in this system. Maybe a grappler would be useful..

What other math could the DM even use? 5e is such a mess I'd grab on to any guidelines I could for dear life if I was running it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Arivia posted:

What other math could the DM even use? 5e is such a mess I'd grab on to any guidelines I could for dear life if I was running it.

gradenko from this thread came up with new math that makes 5e fights not stupid. I'm on mobile so I don't have the link handy.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The author himself is also creepy as gently caress and has some major issues surrounding women.

Link or summary? If it's bad enough, I will reconsider getting the next audiobook when it comes out. I'm usually pretty forgiving of creators having sketchy stuff in their past, but there are limits to how much I'll overlook, and since I don't particularly like these books, those limits are lower than they might otherwise be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Halfling race for the rerolls
Archery fighting style for the attack bonus
Battlemaster Fighter for Precision Attack
Lucky feat for the rerolls

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Halfling race for the rerolls
Lucky feat for the rerolls

I never quite got how the two of these nigh-identical mechanics are both in the game without somehow being mutually exclusive. It almost seems like they intended for halflings just to have the feat, then separated the two iterations when feats got relegated to optional status.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zomborgon posted:

I never quite got how the two of these nigh-identical mechanics are both in the game without somehow being mutually exclusive. It almost seems like they intended for halflings just to have the feat, then separated the two iterations when feats got relegated to optional status.

Up to your GM.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Foiled by autocorrect.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fighting anything with 19 AC when your attack bonus is +7 (levels 5-7 if you're optimally built) is certainly an outlier. Against a single creature with a CR equal to your level, the DMG's monster-building guidelines prescribe 15 AC on average for creatures in that CR range which gives you a 65% chance to hit. There's variation, but the creatures published in the MM generally hover around there as well. In fights against multiple lower CR enemies, you should see enemies with average AC that's lower yet.

Regarding saving throws, stunning strike targets Con which is the highest average save among creatures in the MM. It's balanced out by the fact that you can attempt it multiple times per turn without giving up using your action/bonus action to deal damage, the resource you spend for it recovers on short rest, and almost nothing is outright immune to the condition. +6 isn't unheard of in that same CR range, but it's over 2 points above their average.

As for ways to increase accuracy with a monk, shadow monks get advantage on the first attack they make after shadow stepping and open hand monks have advantage on attacks against enemies they knock prone. Otherwise, it's a matter of landing a stun (giving you advantage on all attacks until the end of your next turn) or relying on features/spells from your companions to help you out.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Zomborgon posted:

They're not actually that similar, they just have the same name (which is a bad idea).

The halfling trait just means that when you roll a 1 on a d20, you reroll it. As a result, halflings effectively just can't roll 1s (they actually can, but it has a fraction of a percent chance of occurring).

The feat, however, gives you 3 points per long rest that can be spent to grant pseudo-advantage to a roll after rolling it, or pseudo-disadvantage to an attack roll against you. Note that because of some incredibly silly rules design (which makes the designers sound like they're doing word-limbo to fit the literal meaning of what they originally wrote), the feat actually grants you super-advantage if you have disadvantage when you use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Back to out of the abyss. Purple worms are tough when you've got no spells, the DM is rolling mega hot and they don't stop coming. The Drow squad didn't help.