Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

G-Prime posted:

Not sure I agree. The Shield K1 is only slightly larger, and it's $200. That's pretty drat affordable.

I don't disagree with you but the K1 night as well not be available at retail anymore so you'd have to buy a used one and you could just buy a used nexus 7 at that point.

We're just lamenting the fact that since then nobody has made a new device better than the K1 or nexus 7 for the same price with better tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

They are still manufacturing shields, they just seem to ship them quarterly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Got a Fire HD8 this weekend.

Way more than sufficient for any of the stuff I do on a tablet nowadays. That's just watching videos, reading, web...basic content consumption.

The screen is pretty decent, tablet feels OK.

Overall pretty fuckin great at 60 bucks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you can still get a new K1, there's just no B&M availability and even online outlets have inconstant stock levels.

I would say what's more troubling about the K1 is the Nvidia doesn't have a commitment to tablets anymore, so it's hard to say what future support will be like.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thermopyle posted:

Way more than sufficient for any of the stuff I do on a tablet nowadays. That's just watching videos, reading, web...basic content consumption.

I have a HD 6. I kind of wish it had a 5 GHz wifi radio and a YouTube app, but other than that it is pretty good. The price is incredible.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I got one as well and this is pretty much my experience. It's good enough to use the awful app and chrome and Netflix doesn't stutter or anything. The size is nice but the plastic is creaky garbage. The screen is good enough, but I've noticed there will be random blurry fonts on some webpages when the rest of the page is rendered fine. It was worth sixty bucks and is way better than the transformer it replaced

Pic showing blurry text

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Ineffiable posted:

I don't disagree with you but the K1 night as well not be available at retail anymore so you'd have to buy a used one and you could just buy a used nexus 7 at that point.

We're just lamenting the fact that since then nobody has made a new device better than the K1 or nexus 7 for the same price with better tech.

As other people said, it's definitely still around. I literally bought one new last week from Amazon.

I agree that it'd be nice if there were something better in the same price range, but I think it's kinda telling that there specifically isn't. Either the manufacturers don't think there's a market for it, there's not a feasible way to do better at the price point yet, or they believe (and reasonably so) that the offerings available are good enough. Trends seem to indicate that the majority of consumers aren't shooting for the 7-8" market, when they could buy a 6.5" phablet and have all the same functionality without having to carry a second device. The only more powerful option out there right now is an X1-based device, and I don't think anybody's trying to shove one of those into a 7-8" form factor.

Realistically, though, what more is needed out of a tablet in that size than the K1 offers? More RAM is a nice-to-have. Obviously, getting Nougat on it would be fantastic, though it's still possible that the K1 will get that. The screen's great as is, the sound is pretty drat respectable (better than I expected, truthfully). The price is actually in impulse-buy range now. All in all, it seems to be just right for what most people want in a tablet that size.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah maybe I'm insane but maybe just another Google supported Android tablet with SD card support and oled screen please. 3 to 4 gigs would be nice too.

Maybe it's just cause I see lots of improvements for other technological devices but because the tablet seems to be overlooked more than others, companies don't spend a lot to try and improve it. The reality is most consumers would be happy with basic iPad or Amazon fires.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah maybe I'm insane but maybe just another Google supported Android tablet with SD card support and oled screen please. 3 to 4 gigs would be nice too.

Maybe it's just cause I see lots of improvements for other technological devices but because the tablet seems to be overlooked more than others, companies don't spend a lot to try and improve it. The reality is most consumers would be happy with basic iPad or Amazon fires.

Google is not going to release a tablet with an SD card slot.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Thermopyle posted:

Google is not going to release a tablet with an SD card slot.

B-b-but they just added support for using the SD cards as the whole HDD. :negative:

It's not a horrible thing, it just makes it a lot easier to invest in a device with less space since you can fix the issue later.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

minusX posted:

B-b-but they just added support for using the SD cards as the whole HDD. :negative:

It's not a horrible thing, it just makes it a lot easier to invest in a device with less space since you can fix the issue later.

Yeah, I dont really have any problem with them supporting it, and knowing Google they're liable to change anything...but all the communication the matter so far has basically said "gently caress SD cards".

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
Does anyone know where I can find some technical information on the Fuhu Big Tab XL specifically the 55 inch model?

My google skills are failing me. I am only pulling up news from when it showed up at CES 2015. At this point I am assuming they never put the thing into production and I might have one of samples.

Picked one up for free and would like some information on it. Planning to just use it as a TV for now and would like to know what kind of panel it has and the weight.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I dont really have any problem with them supporting it, and knowing Google they're liable to change anything...but all the communication the matter so far has basically said "gently caress SD cards".

As someone who has made several embedded products with SD cards, I 100% agree. gently caress SD cards!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

G-Prime posted:

Trends seem to indicate that the majority of consumers aren't shooting for the 7-8" market, when they could buy a 6.5" phablet and have all the same functionality without having to carry a second device.

What 6.5" phablets are on US shelves right now? I'm asking this sincerely. I'm digging around and seeing Chinese stuff like the Mi Max that you have to seek out, and a handful of oddballs running KitKat.

quote:

Realistically, though, what more is needed out of a tablet in that size than the K1 offers? More RAM is a nice-to-have. Obviously, getting Nougat on it would be fantastic, though it's still possible that the K1 will get that. The screen's great as is, the sound is pretty drat respectable (better than I expected, truthfully). The price is actually in impulse-buy range now. All in all, it seems to be just right for what most people want in a tablet that size.

I may end up getting a K1 at some point simply because I am tired of the 16 Nexus/Pixel 7 turning out to be vaporware and I know of nowhere where I can get my 13 N7's charging port repaired semi-affordably.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I should have said ~6in, because I'm pretty sure you're right. Something in my head said 6.5 was common and I didn't verify that before posting. There are a few 6.5in ones out there, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

delfin posted:

What 6.5" phablets are on US shelves right now? I'm asking this sincerely. I'm digging around and seeing Chinese stuff like the Mi Max that you have to seek out, and a handful of oddballs running KitKat.

How's 6.4 inch sound to you? There's the Lenovo Phab2 Plus and Pro (their main difference is the Pro has double the onboard storage, 4 GB of RAM instead of 3 GB, and a faster CPU).

You can buy them from Lenovo in the US: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tango/ The price is $499 for the Pro.

The previous generation Lenovo Phab phone seems to have been 6.8 inch screen but is discontinued and probably has an older version of Android (the Phab2 models are on Marshmallow with an update to Nougat expected)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well current rumor about a new N7 is that it's still coming, but delayed.

The narrative is that Huawei pulled out from being the OEM for the new N7 at the same time they pulled out from being the Pixel OEM for the same reasons. They want to break into the US market and being an OEM with Google's name on it wasn't going to do that.

So, an HTC manufactured 7" tablet is supposedly still coming, but on a delayed timeline now

Who knows how much of this is actually sourced in truth and how much is speculation, but there you have it.

I still remain amazed how well the N7 does on a piddly Snapdragon S4 Pro. It essentially has the same SoC as the Moto X 2013 and the Nexus 4, yet somehow it still has legs.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

minusX posted:

Yeah at a fraction of the price. If Google released the new n7 at 128 gigabytes, but only like a 75 dollar price difference then fine, gently caress sd cards. But I'm sure eventually for users like us, it gets filled up. I filled up a 16 gigabyte iPad as my first tablet then filled up the nexus 7 and still filled up an amazon tablet with 128 gigs on it.

Still gonna hold out and see what comes of those future n7 rumors.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
There are a lot of N7's on Ebay under $100 and then there are a few new ones still like this lol:

https://goo.gl/Bd3lEr

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 1, 2016

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Argos in the UK has N7s stocked right now. £129/32
£109/16

As to why the S4 does better in the tablet? Heat dissipation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oh I already have a n7 but it's my favorite tablet by far (after owning 4 different ones and playing with several others) so I'm excited to see what they bring with a new iteration.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

fishmech posted:

How's 6.4 inch sound to you? There's the Lenovo Phab2 Plus and Pro (their main difference is the Pro has double the onboard storage, 4 GB of RAM instead of 3 GB, and a faster CPU).

You can buy them from Lenovo in the US: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tango/ The price is $499 for the Pro.

Amusingly, the mid-range Plus appears to be nowhere on Lenovo's site, just the base model (slower chipset than the Plus) and the Pro. I wonder if they dropped it entirely.

My deal right now is that I'm trying to replace a badly aging phone (Galaxy Nexus) and a great tablet with a bad charge port (13 N7) and debating if it's worth it trying to combine the two. If a Huawei 7" is indeed coming as bull3964 suggests, it might be worth my while to just get a simpler, smaller phone and splurge on the tablet when it comes. If it's in limbo, a combo platter like the Phab2 might be my solution. I love the 7" form factor -- it fits in a pants or coat pocket but is big enough for my needs and preferences.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

delfin posted:

Amusingly, the mid-range Plus appears to be nowhere on Lenovo's site, just the base model (slower chipset than the Plus) and the Pro. I wonder if they dropped it entirely.

My deal right now is that I'm trying to replace a badly aging phone (Galaxy Nexus) and a great tablet with a bad charge port (13 N7) and debating if it's worth it trying to combine the two. If a Huawei 7" is indeed coming as bull3964 suggests, it might be worth my while to just get a simpler, smaller phone and splurge on the tablet when it comes. If it's in limbo, a combo platter like the Phab2 might be my solution. I love the 7" form factor -- it fits in a pants or coat pocket but is big enough for my needs and preferences.

My N7 2013 has a bad charge port and I just use wireless charging. I haven't found it to be hugely inconvenient.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

clockworx posted:

My N7 2013 has a bad charge port and I just use wireless charging. I haven't found it to be hugely inconvenient.

That's been how I've used mine for the last year or so -- Anker power bricks tethered to Choetech Qi chargers sandwiched in between the case sides. It's not terrible but it is definitely slower and less reliable than a straight plug-in, and I've had that "somehow I bumped the charge pad 10 degrees off overnight and now my tablet is at 23% this morning" feeling many times.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

delfin posted:

If a Huawei 7" is indeed coming as bull3964 suggests

I said there will be no Huawei 7" tablet as they were planning. Huawai isn't cool with the whole google branding thing.

The new 7" tablet is rumored to be made by HTC just like the Pixel phone. I would also expect it to carry the Pixel name and be positioned as a premium device.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Argh. Thought you meant that Huawei was releasing it but not under the Google brand.

Speaking of Huawei and premium-level tablets, how's the MediaPad M3?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

delfin posted:

Argh. Thought you meant that Huawei was releasing it but not under the Google brand.

Speaking of Huawei and premium-level tablets, how's the MediaPad M3?

I think the thing that people want is the support and if it's not a Google tablet you just aren't going to get it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Yup that seems to be the real reason to want an actual Google branded device because it gets the best and earliest o/s updates. The n7 got quite a few more updates than expected.

And I like the o/s to be as minimal as possible.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Let me approach the OS issue this way, then. Generally speaking, I have a two-pronged test for OS upgrades:

1) Do my old apps work properly on the new OS?
2) Do I need the OS to run new apps/use vital new functionality that the old OS can't? (This can include critical end-of-life support stuff like security holes and patches, new OS functionality, or apps whose updates require the OS upgrade.)

And if either fails, I stick with what I have. Like, I held off for a while upgrading my N7 from Lollipop to Marshmallow because the SD card support enhancement obviously doesn't apply to N7s, and the rest of Marshmallow seemed more like small tweaks than meaningful changes. Even now I get annoyed by apps like Twilight bumping into screen overlay permission prompts that I don't remember getting in 5.x.

My N7 isn't getting Nougat. A lot of phones and tablets out there that have Lollipop or Marshmallow now won't get Nougat anytime soon or at all. But if I like Lollipop or Marshmallow, and my next tablet's specs are high enough to keep up with new and demanding apps, am I going to be hurting running 5 or 6 / what besides split-screen does Nougat bring to the table?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

delfin posted:

Let me approach the OS issue this way, then. Generally speaking, I have a two-pronged test for OS upgrades:

1) Do my old apps work properly on the new OS?
2) Do I need the OS to run new apps/use vital new functionality that the old OS can't? (This can include critical end-of-life support stuff like security holes and patches, new OS functionality, or apps whose updates require the OS upgrade.)

And if either fails, I stick with what I have. Like, I held off for a while upgrading my N7 from Lollipop to Marshmallow because the SD card support enhancement obviously doesn't apply to N7s, and the rest of Marshmallow seemed more like small tweaks than meaningful changes. Even now I get annoyed by apps like Twilight bumping into screen overlay permission prompts that I don't remember getting in 5.x.

My N7 isn't getting Nougat. A lot of phones and tablets out there that have Lollipop or Marshmallow now won't get Nougat anytime soon or at all. But if I like Lollipop or Marshmallow, and my next tablet's specs are high enough to keep up with new and demanding apps, am I going to be hurting running 5 or 6 / what besides split-screen does Nougat bring to the table?

The biggest point of wanting OS updates is security patches. So by not upgrading your tablet you're making it less secure. There's been serious and widely-in-use-in-the-wild security flaws patched by either new OS versions or monthly security updates many times.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Thermopyle posted:

The biggest point of wanting OS updates is security patches. So by not upgrading your tablet you're making it less secure. There's been serious and widely-in-use-in-the-wild security flaws patched by either new OS versions or monthly security updates many times.

Agreed, and I'd mentioned that as a case for upgrading. So, bear with me on this. I am assuming that OSes that are still considered to be in play continue to receive security updates -- like, Kitkat won't but Marshmallow will. I'm not sure if Lollipop has hit end-of-support yet. Obviously, buying devices that can handle the most recent OS and patches is more secure, but what's the window in which one-version-back still gets that kind of security support?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

delfin posted:

Agreed, and I'd mentioned that as a case for upgrading. So, bear with me on this. I am assuming that OSes that are still considered to be in play continue to receive security updates -- like, Kitkat won't but Marshmallow will. I'm not sure if Lollipop has hit end-of-support yet. Obviously, buying devices that can handle the most recent OS and patches is more secure, but what's the window in which one-version-back still gets that kind of security support?

You can basically count on the fact that on any device that is not running the very latest OS, the manufacturer not releasing any security updates for it. Heck, I don't think the very best entity at keeping devices up to date (Google) is going to give you security updates to an older OS version if there is a newer OS version for that device.

Basically:

delfin posted:

I am assuming that OSes that are still considered to be in play continue to receive security updates

is not the case in practice.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

And to stray from tablets for a bit, this is why keeping a phone with the newest OS is a good thing. Think about how many people use stuff like banking or credit cards in something on the phone. One way or another you probably need to upgrade every two years.

I use only my tablets for entertainment purposes but imagine someone still using the Amazon shop app on a kit kit tablet.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Consider me edumacated. This will enter into my tablet-buying calculus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

You can basically count on the fact that on any device that is not running the very latest OS, the manufacturer not releasing any security updates for it. Heck, I don't think the very best entity at keeping devices up to date (Google) is going to give you security updates to an older OS version if there is a newer OS version for that device.

The only time this wasn't true was when AT&T refused to release Marshmallow for the Nexus 6 but still made security patches. That created a branch where unless you'd previously unlocked the bootloader, you couldn't update to Marshmallow if you'd accepted a Lollipop security update on AT&T.

Otherwise though you're entirely correct, you'll never see security updates for an older version if a new one is available in that region.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there a thread dedicated to Amazon devices? I'm interested in something cheap for travelling with but want to know a little more about the OS and experiences running android apps on it.

I bought a Fire HD 8 during the Black Friday sale, for the $78 I paid I've been pretty impressed.

Any specific questions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I'm completely satisfied with my Fire Hd 8 and I always pick it up before my 2013 N7.

There are just a couple apps that I wanted to use that weren't on the Amazon appstore, so I installed the Google Play Store on it and got those. (this is very easy to do, just install a few APKs)

I installed my TTRSS reader app, Chrome, and Moon+ via the Play Store.

It's an OK tablet made amazingly great by the price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My $120 5.5" Moto Z Droid seems to be my "tablet" of choice now. It comes closest to hitting my mythical ideal 2016 N7 specs than anything else on the market.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

I'm completely satisfied with my Fire Hd 8 and I always pick it up before my 2013 N7.

There are just a couple apps that I wanted to use that weren't on the Amazon appstore, so I installed the Google Play Store on it and got those. (this is very easy to do, just install a few APKs)

I installed my TTRSS reader app, Chrome, and Moon+ via the Play Store.

It's an OK tablet made amazingly great by the price.

Are you able to install Google apps like Hangouts and Play Books once the Play Store is installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Are you able to install Google apps like Hangouts and Play Books once the Play Store is installed?

Yep.