Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You want a strange fish? (not actually a fish but a mollusc) I present the Cuttlefish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

quote:

Cuttlefish have a unique internal shell, the cuttlebone.

Cuttlefish have large, W-shaped pupils, eight arms, and two tentacles furnished with denticulated suckers, with which they secure their prey. They generally range in size from 15 to 25 cm (5.9 to 9.8 in), with the largest species, Sepia apama, reaching 50 cm (20 in) in mantle length and over 10.5 kg (23 lb) in mass.

Cuttlefish eat small molluscs, crabs, shrimp, fish, octopodes, worms, and other cuttlefish.

It has been speculated that cuttlefish's eyes are fully developed before birth, and that they start observing their surroundings while still in the egg. In consequence they may prefer to hunt the prey they saw before hatching

In the past, cuttlebones were ground up to make polishing powder, which was used by goldsmiths. The powder was also added to toothpaste, and was used as an antacid for medicinal purposes or as an absorbent. They were also used as an artistic carving medium during the 19thand 20th centuries,

Today, cuttlebones are commonly used as calcium-rich dietary supplements for caged birds, chinchillas, hermit crabs, reptiles, shrimp, and snails. It is not for human consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Unkempt posted:

Mmm. A scented candle, I assume.

Well, the Candlefish is a type of Smelt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Churchill's writings (books, articles, etc.) are credited Winston S. Churchill, since there was an American novelist who was also called Winston Churchill, and so Winston Spencer Churchill used his middle initial to differentiate himself.

Churchill's mother was also American, which a lot of people often forget.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

A White Guy posted:

Shaxspear, Shakespeare, Shakspar are all totally ok spellings of his name. 16th century English was..um, well, kind of a mess. That's what happens when your get the grammar and spelling from repurposed Old Norse but the actual pronunciation undergoes a huge change because a whole bunch of Normans showed up and took over. It's kind of amazing that English exists today in the form it does, because it's been in a state of linguistic chaos since the Angles decided they wanted to live near Londinium.

Also, fun fact, Caesar is actually supposed to something like Kaiser. Vini, Vidi,Vici also probably sounded like "Wini,Widi,Wici". Goddamn Vulgar latin speaking poor people :argh:.

Letters are cool

F V U W and Y all go back to the Phoenician Y. By the classical era F is distinct in Latin but V and U are still the same thing, same with I and J, so it's IVLIVS CAESAR saying VENI VIDI VICI. Wikipedia says the V / U split didn't come til the 14th century. in Chaucer at least it's still all "haue thee a torde from myne arsch" etc. (paraphrasd)

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

They do but if the piggy bank is completely full, the coins block that hole so it's easier to hit it with a hammer.

Brachiating tangent to tangent, "piggy banks" derive their shape - and their name - from pygg, which is the kind of clay that they had been made of. It's a visual pun.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Wheat Loaf posted:

When the Far East Party was making its perilous journey back to camp from its trek to the eastern parts of Antarctica, consuming the remains of their sled dogs (particularly the livers) is believed to have contributed to a severe illness which almost killed Sir Douglas Mawson and did contribute to the death of Dr Xavier Mertz.

They were blinded and poisoned by an overdose of vitamin A, which livers are rich in, and livers of polar animals (including Husky dogs) especially so

A dog that won't get eaten in a polar expedition, no matter how bad things go:

I love Titina :allears: She is in virtually all photos of Umberto Nobile:

She

is

everywhere

Crew group photos

Photos of the makeshift camp in the arctic, among the survivors of the Italia crash

Everywhere

Nobile is forced by his insurer to be rescued before his crew, but does he truly leave alone?

Look at her, in her own tiny little circle in this postcard of the Norge and its crew, I wonder if she was the inspiration for Tintin's dog:

She was a stray, adopted by Nobile as a puppy. She was named after the song, Io cerco Titina, Italian cover of French hit Je cherche apres Titine:

... now better known in Charlie Chaplin's gibberish cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeE1amkKuBU

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Churchill's mother was also American, which a lot of people often forget.

Also 'Spencer' was part of his surname, Spencer-Churchill. His actual middle name was Leonard.

This is interesting only because other famous members of the Spencer family, of which the Spencer-Churchills are a branch, include his (slightly distant) cousin Lady Diana Spencer aka the Princess of Wales. Spencer-Churchills have hung around royalty like flies around poo poo for centuries now.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

swamp waste posted:

Letters are cool

F V U W and Y all go back to the Phoenician Y. By the classical era F is distinct in Latin but V and U are still the same thing, same with I and J, so it's IVLIVS CAESAR saying VENI VIDI VICI. Wikipedia says the V / U split didn't come til the 14th century. in Chaucer at least it's still all "haue thee a torde from myne arsch" etc. (paraphrasd)

I have seen 17th century documents in German where “und“ (=and) still is written as “vnndt“. It's somewhat rare by that time, though

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

learnincurve posted:

You want a strange fish? (not actually a fish but a mollusc) I present the Cuttlefish https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Bone also has a history of being used as a mold for casting jewelery and other small items.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Nobile post could start some poo poo.

Norway was so pissed after Amundsen's disappearance that Nobile was not allowed to touch Norwegian soil after his rescue.

Also, his men probably ate Finn Malmgren.

I like to think of myself as a man without too much prejudice, but I would definitely think twice about risking my life with Italians around.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Thomas Paine, writer of Common Sense and The Rights of Man, the man who basically brought the idea of American independence into the national discourse, died a complete national pariah after he wrote a particularly nasty letter to George Washington after he was imprisoned during the course of the French Revolution (he basically moved to France after living in England because apparently one revolution was just not enough for him). His funeral was attended by 6 people, and eventually his grave was robbed by an Englishman who wanted to bury him in England just to be a dick. That particular Englishman never got around to it, and consequently Paine's bones are now totally lost to history.

A Festivus Miracle has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Nov 28, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Churchill's writings (books, articles, etc.) are credited Winston S. Churchill, since there was an American novelist who was also called Winston Churchill, and so Winston Spencer Churchill used his middle initial to differentiate himself.

He was also the first recorded user of the phrase OMG, apparently. Tho that did come from QI, so...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not only did he move to France, he also worked closely with Napoleon before his coronation, and wrote for him a series of treatises on how to best prosecute an offensive campaign against England, including an invasion.

Samovar posted:

He was also the first recorded user of the phrase OMG, apparently. Tho that did come from QI, so...

I believe it was Jacky Fisher writing to Churchill during the WWI.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

2nd Lieutenant Winston Churchill of the 4th Queen's Own Hussars in 1895. Churchill would have been 20 or 21 at the time.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Free Market Mambo posted:

NobileTitina post

Titina is a brave little girl and I won't hear anything bad about her :colbert:

Free Market Mambo posted:

Norway was so pissed after Amundsen's disappearance that Nobile was not allowed to touch Norwegian soil after his rescue.

Conquered two poles but never could find the pole stuck up his rear end

Hey Roald, try petting a dog for a change

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I never meant to besmirch Titina. All is forgiven.

Amundsen was just choosy about his dogs, he liked them medium to well done.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

2nd Lieutenant Winston Churchill of the 4th Queen's Own Hussars in 1895. Churchill would have been 20 or 21 at the time.

And already he had mastered the art of looking like a douchebag.

The Sausages posted:

Cuttlefish Bone also has a history of being used as a mold for casting jewelery and other small items.

I have actually done this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

He was captured in South Africa by some Irish soldiers who were fighting alongside the Boers, but managed to escape because they all got drunk at a Christmas party.

Saved by a reliable stereotype.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

China had paper money centuries before anybody else. Of course, subsequent dynasties spectacularly mismanaged paper money until it became almost worthless. Eventually, the government was forced to switch back to valuable metals, in particular silver. Where did they source this silver from? Japan had some silver, but it's meager output was not enough to feed the huge Chinese economy (largest in the world at that time). Thankfully, a new source became available - the Americas. Roughly a 1/3rd of all silver mined in the America from 1500-1800 ended up in China. Despite receiving a 1/3rd of a literal mountain of silver, China demand for silver was still too great (mostly because the government began requiring people to pay their taxes in silver). European traders switched from paying for goods in silver, to paying for goods in opium.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure that was the reason for the British on that one.

Something really worth downloading from iTunes is Victoria wood's nice cup of tea, which was a two part documentary. Victoria Wood, who is another victim of 2016, was like a female version of Steven Fry. gently caress this year.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Khazar-khum posted:

Let's step away from the table for a moment, shall we?

When Elizabethan theatres are excavated, they usually find the shattered remains of ceramic boxes. The boxes had an opening like a piggy bank, but there was no way to get the coins out.

What the theatre managers did was wait until the performance ended, then go into a back room with the principal parties and smash the box. The coins would be counted and properly divvied up.

The name of that little room has survived to this day. It's called--box office.

This is almost certainly not true. The first recorded use of the phrase doesn't appear until over a hundred years after the Elizabethan period and was used then to refer to the office that sold box seats.

Dictionaries and sites focused on lexicography mostly stick with the 18th century 'box seat' origin and it also fails the "the more clever a word origin is, the more likely it is to be wrong" test.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In 1846, the Donner Party was able to get its wagon train 80 miles across the Great Salt Lake Desert in six days despite inhospitable weather and conditions which forced them to abandon many of their wagons and oxen.

In 1986, a team of researchers attempted to make the same journey at the same time of year in 4x4s and had to give up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wheat Loaf posted:

In 1846, the Donner Party was able to get its wagon train 80 miles across the Great Salt Lake Desert in six days despite inhospitable weather and conditions which forced them to abandon many of their wagons and oxen.

In 1986, a team of researchers attempted to make the same journey at the same time of year in 4x4s and had to give up.

The same Donner party that resorted to cannibalism? Talk about worst road trip ever.

For those of you who didn't go into some of the more tragic history of the Oregon Trail: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Suspect Bucket has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Nov 29, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suspect Bucket posted:

The same Donner party that resorted to cannibalism? Talk about worst road trip ever.

The very same. That's where we get the term "Donner kebab" from. :v:

But seriously, though, you read about that stuff and how harrowing it was (e.g. the children of Jacob Donner surviving by consuming their father's organs after he died) but all the description of it, even contemporary writings by the survivors who made it out of the Sierra Nevada alive, doesn't really convey the misery they must have experienced on an especially visceral level. Maybe that's just the standards of the time - you kept a stiff upper lip in the mid-19th century and all that.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wheat Loaf posted:

The very same. That's where we get the term "Donner kebab" from. :v:

Yer shittin me. A döner is the vertical meat stack thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suspect Bucket posted:

Haha, yeah, I'm only messing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

Much like a human leg.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Keseberg, a recent German immigrant and the last member of the Donner Party to found, was probably the most hosed up member of the crew. He definitely murdered at least two people out of hunger, and when the last rescue party showed up to take the remaining survivors away, he then ate Tamsen Donner, who had stayed behind to look after her dying husband. When a group of people went up into the pass to basically take anything of value they could find amongst the wreckage of the Donner party, they found Keseberg in a cabin surrounded by half-eaten corpses. They were going to lynch him on the spot (which really would've been a kindness to him considering the rest of his life), but decided against it. He was a social pariah for the rest of his life. At least the rest of the Donner party members could claim that they only ate people out of desperation, but Keseberg probably ended up nomming down on his fellow man at least partly because he wanted to.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Maybe that's just the standards of the time - you kept a stiff upper lip in the mid-19th century and all that.

During John Brown's failed raid on Harper's Ferry, he and his followers, which included some of his sons, got holed up in the local fire house for several hours overnight. One of them, his son Owen, began to wail and cry piteously from having been shot in the gut. Afrer growing tired of this, John Brown admonished his son to "die like a man."

So, yeah.

Also Robert E. Lee led the military detachment that stormed said fire house and only failed to kill John Brown with his sword during said storming because he grabbed his ceremonial sword by accident which is fortunate because it allowed John Wilkes Booth to witness Brown's hanging.

AvesPKS has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Nov 30, 2016

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
During the American Civil War, France got cute and tried to install a European monarch as Emporer of Mexico. It wasn't France in a hostile takeover though, a large portion of the Mexican citizens WANTED an Emporer.
I would like to add that I could be over simplifying it, I just learned about it today and was hoping that if I'm wrong or completely off base someone would correct me.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

During the American Civil War, France got cute and tried to install a European monarch as Emporer of Mexico. It wasn't France in a hostile takeover though, a large portion of the Mexican citizens WANTED an Emporer.
I would like to add that I could be over simplifying it, I just learned about it today and was hoping that if I'm wrong or completely off base someone would correct me.

My favourite part of this story is that when he was captured by the republicans, one of his supporters came up with a plan for escape and had got as far as bribing the guards to Maximilian's cell. Maximilian refused because the plan involved shaving his beard.

Also the citizens who wanted an emperor were the nobility and wealthy citizens who hated Juarez's liberal reforms. Maximilian ended up pissing them off by genuinely caring about the poor and continuing the program of liberal reforms. He was one of history's more interesting characters.

GEORGE W BUSHI has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Nov 30, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron Corbyn posted:

Maximilian refused because the plan involved shaving his beard.

He’d look better without it, to be honest.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Baron Corbyn posted:

My favourite part of this story is that when he was captured by the republicans, one of his supporters came up with a plan for escape and had got as far as bribing the guards to Maximilian's cell. Maximilian refused because the plan involved shaving his beard.

Also the citizens who wanted an emperor were the nobility and wealthy citizens who hated Juarez's liberal reforms. Maximilian ended up pissing them off by genuinely caring about the poor and continuing the program of liberal reforms. He was one of history's more interesting characters.

The Mexican emperor, who refused a blindfold, handed over a gold coin – a Maximilian d’or – to each member of the firing squad, and told them, “Muchachos, aim well, and aim right here,” indicating his heart. His final words were recorded as:

quote:

“Mexicans! persons of my rank and origin are destined by God either to be benefactors of the people or martyrs. Called by a great part of you, I came for the good of the country. Ambition did not bring me here: I came with the best of intentions and sincerest wishes for the future of my adopted country and for that of my soldiers, whom I thank before my death for the sacrifices which they have made for me. Mexicans! may my blood be the last which shall be spilled for the welfare of the country ; and if it should be necessary that its sons should still shed theirs, may it flow for its good, never by treason. Long live Independence; long live Mexico!”

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I have seen 17th century documents in German where “und“ (=and) still is written as “vnndt“. It's somewhat rare by that time, though

That seems more like handwritten Fraktur and local spelling idiopathies. Do you have any examples and where were they from? German got standardized as a language super late.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

There's a hilarious public domain book called Real Soldiers of Fortune that everyone here should probably read. Partially because it does a wonderful job of whitewashing and lionizing some truly awful people (like William Walker for instance) but also because it contains a short bio of Churchill from around the era this picture was taken that basically describes him as the guy all young boys should look up to and goes on to talk about how we can expect some great things from him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a bit of a fascination with Adrian Carton de Wiart, because he comes off like Lance-Corporal Jones from Dad's Army if he was real and had been a lieutenant-general.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shbobdb posted:

That seems more like handwritten Fraktur and local spelling idiopathies. Do you have any examples and where were they from? German got standardized as a language super late.

At least a lot of Danish writers still used -ffu- for the v-sound until sometime into the 1700s. For example Loffuen = "the law" (now spelled loven), Kiøbenhaffuen = Copenhagen (now spelled København).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How did we get Copenhagen from that? How does havn turn into hagen?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The Mexican emperor, who refused a blindfold, handed over a gold coin – a Maximilian d’or – to each member of the firing squad, and told them, “Muchachos, aim well, and aim right here,” indicating his heart. His final words were recorded as:

Jesus, how does someone manage to still be a decent sort when everyone around them is a bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

That's a question nobody who hasn't experienced actual starvation can answer honestly. But I think I would be as appalled by the idea of eating my own dog as I would be by eating a human corpse.

Though I guess it would be a different thing to eat a dog that attacked me first, as far as survival situations are concerned.

Not really a fun fact, but I do have some historical anecdotes on what desperations people resort to during actual starvation. It gets a little grim so I'll spoiler it and focus chiefly on a brief, informal summary of events.

As far as the backstory for this anecdote goes the city of Sancerre was a huguenot stronghold during the French wars of religion, protected by walls, a citadel and ~300 professional fighters, ~300 trainees, ~150 pressed guardsmen and a smattering of others during the events**. The city had also taken in a large number of huguenot refugees who were escaping massacres occurring elsewhere in the country. Mosieur de Fontaines began a siege on Sancerre with about ~7,000 that was to last from around 1572 to 1573. There were cannons too but they proved ineffective, as were a number of direct assaults - this one came down ultimately came down to waiting and negotiation.

Food supplies were sparse to begin with, the city conducted a number of sorties to forage the surrounding countryside - eventually these expeditions halted in the face of growing opposition. As regular food supplies exhausted and hunger escalated, taboos relaxed. Working animals like donkeys, mules and later horses were slaughtered. Following their consumption and exhaustion, was the eating of dogs and cats, then vermin like rats, moles, snails and slugs. Details were left behind about how these animals were eaten: rats , for example, were cooked and consumed whole (appropriate for children) while horses had to be delivered to butchers to ration out exactly. Finished products made from animal matter like leather, hides, drumskins, etc were eaten next once the unconventional meats ran out. They were grilled like tripe with a bit of fat on top for texture. 'Less' savory animal products like parchment paper were also consumed, whether it was from a book, a letter or a deed. Tallow candles were edible as were products made from animal hooves and horns. At some point even these items were exhausted and people ate bizarre things like weeds, powdered slate, straw and human excrement. Water flavored with herbs was about the heartiest meal you could obtain at this point. Some individuals were now openly wondering to clergy if it was a grave sin to consume the flesh of the dead. At around this time an instance of a man cooking his daughter in a stew came up

That siege ended at around this point so further descent did not occur, but in other places like Augsberg during the 30 years war early modern taboos were further relaxed in the face of starvation. During its '34-35 siege its population fell from about ~45,000 to 15,000 when a defeated swede army fled there after its rout at Nordlingen and made a stand using the city's defenses. Corpses were, at one point, frequently buried with missing parts (breasts and buttocks typically) with cannibalism becoming a bit of an open secret. A clergyman wrote of this candid depravity, saying something to the extent of 'the bodies of those still alive had become graves to their cursed spirits.'

In short, I think things can get a lot spookier than eating a dog.

**The smattering of others included a significant number of women who bore halberds, pikes and even just long rods to help repel assaults. I like that detail because it reminds me that so little of actual warfighting (depending on the period) consisted of the traditional set piece battle that you can easily neglect the contributions of the non-professionals to a war's final outcome. Pyrrhus of Epirus, the guy who gave his name to the idea of a pyrrhic victory, died during a siege/assault when an old lady managed to crown him with a stone tile pried from a rooftop.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 02:19 on Dec 1, 2016