Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

the black husserl posted:

A common misconception. Actually he's a douchebag :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
At synagogue growing up, dad would sometimes pop off with some Yiddish in the middle of a conversation as a goof. It wasn't until I took German in college that I realized what "verstehest?" means, and that he wasn't just saying "fish taste?" for years.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the black husserl posted:

A common misconception. Actually he's a douchebag :eng101:

There's a difference?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Deftones is a play on "tone deaf."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I owned a ps4 for like four months before I realised the colour LEDs on top don't indicate battery level but player number. Like blue for p1, red for p2, green for p3. I kept charging the red one and the blue one kept dying.

What really hosed with me was that the other day p1 was green, which makes no sense to me. Plus now this crystal on my hand is blinking.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

JoelJoel posted:

Plus now this crystal on my hand is blinking.

they really need to remake this movie

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

JoelJoel posted:

I owned a ps4 for like four months before I realised the colour LEDs on top don't indicate battery level but player number. Like blue for p1, red for p2, green for p3. I kept charging the red one and the blue one kept dying.

What really hosed with me was that the other day p1 was green, which makes no sense to me. Plus now this crystal on my hand is blinking.

It can be game specific. Some games will match to your character color, like Towerfall Ascension, or game state, like Destiny will be blue normally, red for low health, yellow for charged super etc.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mazerunner posted:

It can be game specific. Some games will match to your character color, like Towerfall Ascension, or game state, like Destiny will be blue normally, red for low health, yellow for charged super etc.

I hate that. I feel like that kind of pointless confusion is more a Microsoft idea.

I also hate how when I turn the lights off to get into the game, the rooms glows with whatever confusing colour the remote dictates.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

I hate that. I feel like that kind of pointless confusion is more a Microsoft idea.

I also hate how when I turn the lights off to get into the game, the rooms glows with whatever confusing colour the remote dictates.

You can turn the brightness down via the playstation button menu.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

GTA5 has it Blue when you're Micheal, Green when Franklin, Orange when Trevor. Crew Colour when you're playing Online.
Then it flashes Blue and Red when the police are onto you.

It's also a complete drain on the already lessened battery life compared to the PS3 Controller and you can't fully turn off the lightbar stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Tomb Raider when you're holding a torch, it imitates fire.

The new controller that comes with the Pro (and will replace the standard one in stores eventually, I assume) seems to have better battery life.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Henchman of Santa posted:

Deftones is a play on "tone deaf."
Are you sure they aren't playing the most deft tones?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

zedprime posted:

It's more like the hip-hop slang "def." The band confirms it.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
In the Christmas song "Winter Wonderland" the verse

In the meadow we can build a snowman
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, "Are you married?"
We'll say, "No man"
But you can do the job, when you're in town

is neither weirdly sexualizing the snowman, nor indicating that the narrator is fantasizing about the local Parson doing the job of husband, but saying that the snowman/parson can conduct the wedding ceremony of the narrator and the person he/she is making the snowman with. I've misinterpreted it since I was a kid, probably because my mom's favorite Christmas CD had a woman singing the song and as a kid with not particularly religious parents I just interpreted "Parson" as a name. Even after I realized "Parson" was a title I just never adjusted my interpretation until a few days ago sitting in a coffee shop when a version with a male singer came on and I realized my mistake.

stereobreadsticks has a new favorite as of 16:36 on Nov 30, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have literally never heard the title "Parson" in my life.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

stereobreadsticks posted:

In the Christmas song "Winter Wonderland" the verse

In the meadow we can build a snowman
Then pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, "Are you married?"
We'll say, "No man"
But you can do the job, when you're in town

is neither weirdly sexualizing the snowman, nor indicating that the narrator is fantasizing about the local Parson doing the job of husband, but saying that the snowman/parson can conduct the wedding ceremony of the narrator and the person he/she is making the snowman with. I've misinterpreted it since I was a kid, probably because my mom's favorite Christmas CD had a woman singing the song and as a kid with not particularly religious parents I just interpreted "Parson" as a name. Even after I realized "Parson" was a title I just never adjusted my interpretation until a few days ago sitting in a coffee shop when a version with a male singer came on and I realized my mistake.

Well I'll be damned. I always just assumed that Parson Brown was some hollywood star that was relevant when the song written but since fallen into obscurity.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have literally never heard the title "Parson" in my life.

I think it's pretty much a Protestant thing. Where I grew was pretty heavily Lutheran, and the head guy was listed as Parson on the church bulletin board. I grew up in a Catholic house and I remember being confused by it and had to ask my mom why they had a Parson instead of a Priest.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Even knowing what the real lyrics are, it still wavers between "adorable Norman Rockwell painting" and "actually kind of creepy".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

What about the Alan Parsons Project? Was he priest person?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Simpsons has a Parson.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

hogmartin posted:

Even knowing what the real lyrics are, it still wavers between "adorable Norman Rockwell painting" and "actually kind of creepy".

That's downright tame.

Let me introduce you to the old standard "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Bonus: Fantastic version with Leon Redbone & Zooey Deschanel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-4aOi3AzQ

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You can't spell parson without pee and arson.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

hogmartin posted:

They've built the snowman, they're briefly pretending he's a minister, the minister sees that they are a couple that is in love and asks if they are married, they say no and tell him that maybe he can minister their wedding. I think I'm missing something about how this is creepy

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

They've built the snowman, they're briefly pretending he's a minister, the minister sees that they are a couple that is in love and asks if they are married, they say no and tell him that maybe he can minister their wedding. I think I'm missing something about how this is creepy

Probably that the 'we' in the song are kids, and it's just an odd thing to put in a Christmas song. I don't know any other Christmas songs that have children building a snow golem to consecrate their wedding.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sweeperbravo posted:

To the ur-goon, all feelings of reciprocal love are creepy.

E: literally nothing in the song ever implies the narrator being a child

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Probably that the 'we' in the song are kids, and it's just an odd thing to put in a Christmas song. I don't know any other Christmas songs that have children building a snow golem to consecrate their wedding.

:goonsay:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

To the ur-goon, all feelings of reciprocal love are creepy.

E: literally nothing in the song ever implies the narrator being a child

There's a version with another verse that includes:

quote:

We'll have lots of fun with Mr. Snowman
Until the other kiddies knock him down
So I guess that's where I got it from.

And yes, expressions of affection are terrifying and bad I mean come on people this is just obvious.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

hogmartin posted:

There's a version with another verse that includes:

So I guess that's where I got it from.

Notably not the version with the lines about Parson Brown, which is what started this conversation. That version has the narrator pretending it's a circus clown.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Eh, even if the narrator is meant to be a kid, kids believing that people who are in love get married isn't under the "creepy" umbrella IMO. By that logic the "K-I-S-S-I-N-G" taunt is also creepy, and that one even has a baby being born as a result of the kissers-in-tree.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Snow goons are bad news

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

Notably not the version with the lines about Parson Brown, which is what started this conversation. That version has the narrator pretending it's a circus clown.

Those are two different verses, and the standard version of the song has both.

That said, even if they're kids having the snowman marry them isn't creepy. Playing house is harmless; it's not like they're playing doctor.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

rydiafan posted:

Those are two different verses, and the standard version of the song has both.

That said, even if they're kids having the snowman marry them isn't creepy. Playing house is harmless; it's not like they're playing doctor.
I'm not sure children conspire, as they dream by the fire, to face unafraid the plans that they've made walking in a winter wonderland. Or that they'd understand the new bird to be singing a love song. The song is about adults and isn't creepy in the slightest. JMJ, goons.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I also thought the "but you can do the job when you're in town" line was a thinly veiled sex reference that adults would get but kids wouldn't v:shobon:v

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hirayuki posted:

JMJ, goons.

I had to google this. The Stuff I Just Figured Out is coming from inside the thread!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Like all music, it's about sex.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

I'm not sure children conspire, as they dream by the fire, to face unafraid the plans that they've made walking in a winter wonderland. Or that they'd understand the new bird to be singing a love song. The song is about adults and isn't creepy in the slightest. JMJ, goons.

Do adults often build snowmen and fret over the "other kiddies" knocking them down?

So it's ambiguous. I took them to be kids because of the "other kiddies" line, the whole song is festive Precious Moments winter/holiday imagery, and then out of left field they're having a snowman marry them.

Gah. Sorry for... well, honestly this probably wouldn't break into the top 500 oddest SA derails list.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That song is like 150 years old, the people wanting to get married are probably like fifteen and so the other slightly younger kiddies are knocking over their snowman.

Or the writer just needed a two syllable word to make the line fit the meter of the song, I don't know

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

fullroundaction posted:

I also thought the "but you can do the job when you're in town" line was a thinly veiled sex reference that adults would get but kids wouldn't v:shobon:v

same, pervy bro :):hf::)

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime posted:

def tones - this is the legal definition
deft ones - describes the band members
deft tones (??? I don't get this one??)
De f tone S(sharp) - every band has a resonant frequency
Tone deaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

flosofl posted:

That's downright tame.

Let me introduce you to the old standard "Baby It's Cold Outside"

Bonus: Fantastic version with Leon Redbone & Zooey Deschanel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d-4aOi3AzQ

Turns out this song was considerably less creepy in its original context, performed between the songwriter and his wife at their holiday parties to let people know the party was ending.

The song plays much differently when the subtext is that both of them actually do want to gently caress.