Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Spacebump posted:

That was kneecapped at the very end by the FBI releasing a letter. Both campaign data teams have cited the last Comey letter as when their numbers started changing in favor of Trump.

Sure if she wasn't under investigation that couldn't have happened, but it shouldn't be ignored.

Oh, James Comey's letter absolutely hosed her and probably accounted for as much as a 0.5%-1.0% difference in voter participation/totals in a lot of states.

My point is that against someone like Donald Trump it shouldn't even have been that loving close. But it was, even though Clinton and co. just blithely assumed their invulnerability in WI/MI/PA. WHOOPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Guys, there is a thread for all of this circular firing squad on this very forum called So What Happened.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if Hillary will reach a 3 million vote lead in the popular vote. Jesus Christ that's nuts.

How the hell does that even work

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

anti_strunt posted:

How the hell does that even work

The Electoral College is bad.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a shameful boehner posted:

You asked for a roadmap, Bernie's campaign epitomized how the Democrats need to run future campaigns to win.

They need to focus more on tackling economic disparity (which will be even worse in 2018 and 2020), true healthcare reform (single payer), reducing the cost of higher education, hammering Republicans on voter suppression, expanding earned benefit programs and promotion of long-term national investment in the sciences and infrastructure.

Didn't want this to get swallowed, but yes this is 100% what I was asking and am enthusiastic about...except it still doesn't solve the messaging problem. Something that I highly doubt is going to be solved if all everyone is doing is getting into slapfights over who's the real leftist or who's a neoliberal or whatever. And again, Bernie's campaign unfortunately didn't win so it's going to be hard for others to look at it and go "that's what we need", because it failed in the face of an established personality. Something that Trump is going to be, something that several Republicans (and even some Democrats) will be when their seats are up for contention at all levels of government.

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

larf

Chuck Schumer being the absolute worst yet still supporting Keith Ellison is so confusing other than he's probably doing it to save his own hide.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

I complained about her but still voted for her.

That was dumb.

foobardog posted:

No, I guarantee you this level of entitlement is part of why Clinton lost. This is "complaining about dear leader emboldens our enemies" nonsense.

It's more like "repeating the same poo poo about her being a wall street whore is depressing democratic turnout"

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I visit the country and it feels like a zombie apocalyse. Meanwhile Los Angeles has more traffic than Traffico Fiesta Heaven 24/7 as everyone is moving the gently caress out of nowhere into the cities.

Angry_Ed posted:

Bernie's campaign didn't win so it's going to be hard for others to look at it and go "that's what we need", because it failed in the face of an established personality.

Bernie didn't win because it was 'her turn' and the Democrats didn't want to mess around with one of their most powerful members and she was entrenched in the party as one could possibly get. You're strangely attempting to simplify what happened to Bernie No Win, Bernie Bad.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 1, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Inferior Third Season posted:

No, I don't remember that.

here's chuck schumer saying p much that:

quote:

For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.

hillfolk were saying it on here too if you care to look at some of the old c-spam threads

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Angry_Ed posted:

Chuck Schumer being the absolute worst yet still supporting Keith Ellison is so confusing other than he's probably doing it to save his own hide.

turns out the spineless cowards can be bent leftwards under even the smallest amount of pressure

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well, obviously, but a margin that large has to be unprecedented. I know how the states went, mostly, but where did most of those several million wasted votes come from?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Business Gorillas posted:

turns out the spineless cowards can be bent leftwards under even the smallest amount of pressure

i called that fucker's office three or four times to talk about ellison, so i'd like to think it was me.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

“For every blue-collar Democrat we lose in western Pennsylvania, we will pick up two moderate Republicans in the suburbs in Philadelphia, and you can repeat that in Ohio and Illinois and Wisconsin.”

larf

It's quite possible that some moderate republicans didn't cross over because everyone thought hillary had the election in the bag and they didn't want to give her some massive mandate. The flawed polling and narrative leading up to the election affected both Clinton's strategy and voter behavior.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

anti_strunt posted:

Well, obviously, but a margin that large has to be unprecedented. I know how the states went, mostly, but where did most of those several million wasted votes come from?

California mostly

e: basically the only places Clinton outperformed Obama were in California and a handful of Republican states like Kansas (entirely due to Brownback) where she narrowed the margin, whereas Trump outperformed Romney in every single swing state because Clinton lost working class whites harder than Walter loving Mondale

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 1, 2016

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder if Hillary will reach a 3 million vote lead in the popular vote. Jesus Christ that's nuts.

Dave Wasserman (the Cook Political Report guy) is estimating it'll be between 2.5 and 2.7 million (about 2%) once all the votes are counted.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Ooooh great great great great!

FBI to gain expanded hacking powers as Senate effort to block fails

quote:

Democratic Senator Ron Wyden attempted three times to delay the changes, which will take effect on Thursday and allow U.S. judges will be able to issue search warrants that give the FBI the authority to remotely access computers in any jurisdiction, potentially even overseas. His efforts were blocked by Senator John Cornyn of Texas, the Senate's second-ranking Republican.

The changes will allow judges to issue warrants in cases when a suspect uses anonymizing technology to conceal the location of his or her computer or for an investigation into a network of hacked or infected computers, such as a botnet.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

farraday posted:

Because over 7 million people voted for third parties. How about you go look at the numbers instead of doing napkin math and proclaiming victory.

that's why i asked how he was coming to his figures. also, i'd be very surprised if increased third party turnout was where the majority of voter population growth went to this election

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

foobardog posted:

I wonder if we're seeing the results of increasing exodus from Republican-run states. That's possibly another factor. Sure, more people in the big cities who have fled, but that's just making a blue state bluer, and a red state redder.
Definitely true of WI and MI. Chicago, Minneapolis, and Denver are full of exiles from those states.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Bernie didn't win because it was 'her turn' and the Democrats didn't want to mess around with one of their most powerful members and she was entrenched in the party as one could possibly get. You're strangely attempting to simplify what happened to Bernie No Win, Bernie Bad.

All that was true in 2008 as well.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

JeffersonClay posted:

It's quite possible that some moderate republicans didn't cross over because everyone thought hillary had the election in the bag and they didn't want to give her some massive mandate. The flawed polling and narrative leading up to the election affected both Clinton's strategy and voter behavior.

you don't get to claim you picked up voters if they don't bother to vote for you

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

anti_strunt posted:

rscott posted:

California mostly

I didn't used to be in favor of getting rid of the EC, but the mass migration to urban centers is only getting stronger and I don't see any other way of fixing this. We're likely to see this phenomenon getting stronger, not weaker unless we do something.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I visit the country and it feels like a zombie apocalyse. Meanwhile Los Angeles has more traffic than Traffico Fiesta Heaven 24/7 as everyone is moving the gently caress out of nowhere into the cities.

Rural areas have huge economic problems that are largely self-inflicted.

The dream for half of the rural area is being a bed room community with no community. They shut down theaters, libraries, schools. Then wonder why all the kids move to the city.

They oppose municipal broadband, then wonder why all the kids leave the for the city and why $TechCompany doesn't open a branch in their all-dial up town.

Adverse Selection then creates a feedback loop where the only people around are the people who enjoy trying to live like it is 1970 and refuse to address the issues that caused people to leave. Because all the people who left no longer have a voice in the community.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

anti_strunt posted:

Most importantly CA (as someone else said) but also TX, GA, MD, AZ, and MA

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A lovely Reporter posted:

The Democratic Party are not "Republican-lite", and anyone claiming that at this point is either so insulated from Republican hate that they're functionally blind and deaf, making claims in bad faith, or completely uncaring about people (i.e. minorities) that get hurt by Republican policies. My state's Republican government just passed a hosed-up law that will have women forced to pay for burial and a funeral for an aborted fetus. Shame on you for making this actively harmful false equivalence, and may Trump's horrible policies harm you personally.

Which state? If Indiana you are slightly misrepresenting a horrible policy I oppose. :v:

(Which is relevant when talking to normal people rather than politics-obsessed mutants like us)

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
gently caress it, if we're going to be in 1984, let's at least get the suede-denim secret police.

Brown 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Xae posted:

Rural areas have huge economic problems that are largely self-inflicted.

Adverse Selection then creates a feedback loop where the only people around are the people who enjoy trying to live like it is 1970 and refuse to address the issues that caused people to leave. Because all the people who left no longer have a voice in the community.

The dream for half of the rural area is being a bed room community with no community. They shut down theaters, libraries, schools. Then wonder why all the kids move to the city.

They oppose municipal broadband, then wonder why all the kids leave the for the city and why $TechCompany doesn't open a branch in their all-dial up town.

Or the older rural population is too poor and under skilled to be able to move to richer urban areas?
And that corporate interests are the ones making GBS threads on them with stuff like muni broadband?

But let's continue making GBS threads on the poor rural population.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

foobardog posted:

gently caress it, if we're going to be in 1984, let's at least get the suede-denim secret police.

Brown 2020

Jello was right about a lot of things but he turned out to be super wrong about Jerry Brown.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm not sure the polling was meaningfully flawed, in the sense that the measurement of people who preferred Hillary to Trump was probably fairly close to correct. What it didn't capture was the strength of that support and willingness to actually go out and vote, voter suppression efforts, etc.

The narrative that "Bernie lost because the DNC hosed him in various ways" ignores that Bernie lost because he got less votes. The important lesson not really being about the politics of Bernie and more so about the importance of not trying to start a campaign for a primary when the primary begins. To win in politics requires playing the game and campaigning for positions well, well before the actual election. The progressives getting into entry-level Democratic Party leadership now will have power in four years. That's the kind of forward planning we need.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

shrike82 posted:

Or the older rural population is too poor and under skilled to be able to move to richer urban areas?
And that corporate interests are the ones making GBS threads on them with stuff like muni broadband?

If they are unwilling to vote for policies that would benefit them, there are a couple options.

A) Ram those policies down their throats from a state or federal level.
B) Persuade them on a more grassroots level that these policies are actually good.
C) Leave them to rot in hellholes that are unsustainable without active vertical assistance.

I would prefer A or B, but there is probably a strategic space for C.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

you don't get to claim you picked up voters if they don't bother to vote for you

Yes, I'm explaining why the prediction was wrong.

The overwhelming pre-election narrative was one where Hillary won, the question was by how much. If you're a marginally motivated democratic voter, the stakes are low, so turnout among these people goes down. If you're a moderate Republican who wants hillary to beat trump-- but not with a big mandate -- you might vote trump to shrink the margins that everyone is expecting to be large. If you're a diehard trump supporter, you don't listen to the corrupt media anyway so there's not a corresponding turnout drop in his base.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Policy C's been the Democrat choice for a while between Obama and HRC continuing to poo poo on them.
What was that sneering statement that Obama pulled off in '12?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

shrike82 posted:

My father's hometown, pop. 200 in the middle of nowhere, was one of the first to set up municipal broadband. In the 90s, before most cities had residential broadband.

That was when New Deal Democrats were still alive, though. A big problem in the Upper Midwest is that New Deal Dems (many of whose parents were Debs voters btw) are now dead or senile. Their boomer kids are now bootstraps Tea Party types or left for greener pastures long ago.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why? There's been a lot of talk about the EC being stupid but nobody can articulate their thoughts. This type of thinking comes from poor civics knowledge. We have states and individual states govern their people which leads to better local government. Lots of countries do this it's not unique. The reason for the Electoral College is that a state is more than the sum of it's population and population is not the end-all be-all of how much power a state should have. States have value beyond their small population numbers and likewise large populations have value in themselves but only up to a certain point.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

shrike82 posted:

Policy C's been the Democrat choice for a while between Obama and HRC continuing to poo poo on them.
What was that sneering statement that Obama pulled off in '12?

i don't remember exactly but i definitely remember obama saying something like "the far left needs to quit whining and get in line" years and years ago

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The polls were not wrong on the national level. Clinton was said to be up 1-5 points and she'll end up winning the popular vote by 2. How come people can't grasp this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Why? There's been a lot of talk about the EC being stupid but nobody can articulate their thoughts. This type of thinking comes from poor civics knowledge. We have states and individual states govern their people which leads to better local government. Lots of countries do this it's not unique. The reason for the Electoral College is that a state is more than the sum of it's population and population is not the end-all be-all of how much power a state should have. States have value beyond their small population numbers and likewise large populations have value in themselves up to a certain point.

Its bad because it will not do its job and exercise it's veto over a manifest ly unqualified candidate.

It's a shell institution with no remaining purpose.

There are plenty of other institutions, such as the senate and gerrymandering, that give appropriate representation to rural areas. As it is they are over representated.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Why? There's been a lot of talk about the EC being stupid but nobody can articulate their thoughts. This type of thinking comes from poor civics knowledge. We have states and individual states govern their people which leads to better local government. Lots of countries do this it's not unique. The reason for the Electoral College is that a state is more than the sum of it's population and population is not the end-all be-all of how much power a state should have. States have value beyond their small population numbers and likewise large populations have value in themselves but only up to a certain point.

So you're saying that it having some people's vote matter more than others is a good thing?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It was actually in '08 and regarding PA

quote:

You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.
And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Canada has more powers devolved to provinces than the US and somehow they manage to avoid this bullshit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Buckwheat Sings posted:

As pointed out, it was her turn in 2008 and Obama beat her. Unless we're going to keep saying that Hillary somehow conjured up 3.5 million votes to win the primary but couldn't rig the general to the tune of a couple hundred thousand, I don't think the content of the messsage was the problem so much as the delivery (or perhaps more likely, a lack of proper preparation as LK pointed out). This is why I've been stressing that you can replace all the people you want in the DNC, but it won't matter if you can't convince enough people. Unless it just so happens that the people who didn't vote Hilary and stayed home out of discouragement just wanted all the stuff Bernie was pushing and not any other reason for staying home like voter suppression or the never-ending scandal wars, and that all those people voting would offset anybody discouraged enough to not vote for whatever (probably bad) reason because they didn't like the platform. But that's all theoretical.

Also, if 1/4 of the people who vote Democrat are the "neoliberals" that people want to get rid of, then you're not going to win without them, and they also need to be convinced. As well as any of those so-called "independent" voters who just want to be assured things are going to get better for themselves and stay that way and allegedly don't care about the R or D next to a person's name.

Gail Wynand posted:

Canada has more powers devolved to provinces than the US and somehow they manage to avoid this bullshit.

I imagine the laws that outline those powers in Canada are a lot less vague than the 10th Amendment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's also not fair that bumbfuck Wyoming gets the same level of Senatorial representation as loving California but that's another conversation. It might not matter as much if the House of Representatives had been adjusted for population growth over the past 100 years but lol

• Locked thread