Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
More people should have appreciated the guillotine joke. It was a good joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
san onofre closed because it wasn't worth it to SCE and PG&E to figure out why poo poo was wearing out faster than it should have, diablo canyon is closing in 2025 anyway.

also california gets barely any power from nuclear to begin with, most of it is from natural gas.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

I literally recruited volunteers in rural Wisconsin for single payer during county fairs, fish fries, VFW and union halls in 2008. Rednecks get sick and injured too, and many of them asked me why we don't just use Tricare for the entire nation. A conversation almost EXACTLY like that occurs in the book the gilded rage. Guess what? Heroin and diabetes are rampant in rural areas and most end up pouring crazy amounts of money into health programs. Yes, they're not singing the international, but they all understand Medicare and Tricare as concepts and lots of rural folk are cool with it. Elitist assholes like you are why we lost Wisconsin. If Hillary had actually engaged there herself rather than go to her second and third loving showing of Hamilton we might not have to worry about Cheeto Hitler ruining our country.

Rural Wisconsin has voted loving Scott Walker in not once but twice, and he loving brags about refusing a medicare expansion. You can point to people you have found in these areas, but you must recognise that is anecdotal evidence, and the electoral results show a clear favoring by rural people for either stonewalling moves towards government involvement in healthcare, or simply not valuing these things as much as continuing Walker's policies of loving over Black people.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

oh wait i was wrong vermont yankee sprung for the big boy pool

you can pick that up for $200 at walmart

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

pathetic little tramp posted:

Thank you, that's what I was about to reply to. Take it from a man who grew up down the road from the Shippingport plant, the oldest, most shittily built plant in the US - if that thing has managed to not meltdown in 60 years (edit, it was open 30 years, my bad - still fuckin good), nuclear is actually pretty drat safe.

Rancho Seco was still a bureacratic disaster, but yeah, leave being anti-nuke to the greens, it shouldn't be a Democratic plank.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

devtesla posted:

so did they

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Grondoth posted:

Old people are hosed too man. Imagine the psychological strain they must feel seeing THIS be the world they hand over to the next generation.

"you know it's really lovely of someone to make you watch a movie with them, and then leave 10 minutes in so you have to watch it yourself? exactly, old people shouldn't be allowed to vote"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

devtesla posted:

gonna start me an artisanal, home made, nuclear power plant to fool some greens

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Venom Snake posted:

Wind and Solar are actually most beneficial to rural area's because of their low power draw and remoteness. Nuclear is 100% necessary if you want to run cities without using fossil fuels unless we want to build a few more Hoovers which are super destructive to the environment.

EDIT: If you drive around rural europe there are shitloads of windmills

Hopefully they all won't think the solar panels will steal sunlight from the flowers

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Hopefully they all won't think the solar panels will steal sunlight from the flowers

didn't that turn out to be a big lie? Like, there was a couple idiots who thought that would happen but most of the complaints were generic boring zoning ones and it turned into "THESE STUPID loving HICKS THINK SOLAR POWER WILL STEAL THE SUN" for easy clickbait?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You can always find one rear end in a top hat that can ruin it, man. That one guy who was worried about there not being enough sun in that town anymore isn't everyone in that town.

The place I grew up resisted a Wal-Mart opening up in it and still has a thriving main street because of it. I guarantee you nowadays there would've been some rear end in a top hat who would've voted no cause he didn't want mexicans and blacks in his town and it woulda pained the whole town as rear end in a top hat racists.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

well that huge rear end solar plant by primm blinds the gently caress out of me when i'm driving down the 15

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I don't know. But I wouldn't doubt it. There will be a lot of stupid assholes online suddenly caring about bird deaths.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
My sole objection to nuclear plants is the spent fuel rod issue. "Stick it in a leaky pool and maybe we'll figure it out in a few decades" just doesn't sound particularly responsible to me.

I know NG and whatnot also have far-reaching pollutants, but at least we have developing alternative energy (especially solar) and some developing carbon-capture/sequestration techs to mitigate them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

OAquinas posted:

My sole objection to nuclear plants is the spent fuel rod issue. "Stick it in a leaky pool and maybe we'll figure it out in a few decades" just doesn't sound particularly responsible to me.

well thats why we carved a giant hole into the side of mountain far away from any aquifers that we then decided to not use

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well thats why we carved a giant hole into the side of mountain far away from any aquifers that we then decided to not use

Did we even get that far? I thought it was extensively surveyed and then killed off before the green light was given.

Edit: huh, we have a 5 mile long tunnel with offshoots in that exceptionally stable mountain. Ah well.

OAquinas has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Nov 30, 2016

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

Rural Wisconsin has voted loving Scott Walker in not once but twice, and he loving brags about refusing a medicare expansion. You can point to people you have found in these areas, but you must recognise that is anecdotal evidence, and the electoral results show a clear favoring by rural people for either stonewalling moves towards government involvement in healthcare, or simply not valuing these things as much as continuing Walker's policies of loving over Black people.

Have you considered that there isn't in fact an unwinnable majority of anti-healthcare dumbasses in Wisconsin and in fact the Democratic party just blows rear end at properly allocating funds and platform to fight for what these people need? There was a supermajority in the Senate and your team's only achievement was passing a half-assed bill that failed to address pretty much any of the root causes of lack of health care.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

OAquinas posted:

I know NG and whatnot also have far-reaching pollutants, but at least we have developing alternative energy (especially solar) and some developing carbon-capture/sequestration techs to mitigate them.

nuclear tech exists to use the spent rods in fuel or use alternate nuclear fuel that create inert waste

these have been around since the 70s but the government couldn't use the fuel process to make weapons so it was tossed aside

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I can't believe Bernie "dump nuke waste on Texans" Sanders is against nuclear

Remember that classic guys?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we're about twelve posts away from THORIUM chat oh wait i did it i'm sorry

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The commitment of Democrats to short sighted self destructive policies like nuclear opposition and price caps as a solution to economic problems is passed ony surpassed by the Republican commitment to the long term strategy of self immolation

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

nuclear tech exists to use the spent rods in fuel or use alternate nuclear fuel that create inert waste

these have been around since the 70s but the government couldn't use the fuel process to make weapons so it was tossed aside

That still doesn't recommend it. "Eh, we could reprocess the fuel rods, but it's too pricey and :effort: so we don't."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

OAquinas posted:

That still doesn't recommend it. "Eh, we could reprocess the fuel rods, but it's too pricey and :effort: so we don't."

I mean the fact that it's physically possible and presumably economically feasible to do should inform nuclear policy at least a little bit, I'd think

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Derailing into the nth discussion of nuclear technology vs. problems probably isn't a great direction for this thread to take, other than how it is or isn't directly connected to current Democratic meltdowns policies.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

OAquinas posted:

Yeah Areva have been doing it for ages but I guess we don't want their filthy French technology in the USA.

In the long run I have optimism for the Waste Annihilating Molten Salt Reactor (WAMSR) which would burn up the spent fuel from other reactors.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Derailing into the nth discussion of nuclear technology vs. problems probably isn't a great direction for this thread to take, other than how it is or isn't directly connected to current Democratic meltdowns policies.

I want the American Democratic party to build a nuclear reactor in my backyard and I'm mad as hell that they don't even want to

nopants
May 29, 2004

Fulchrum posted:

Anecdotally, I know people in rural Missouri that vote Republican because A) They are avid hunters. That is a major part of their identity. B) They are convinced Democrats want to take away their guns and Republicans stop them.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OAquinas posted:

Nuclear waste has less than 10% of the impact than all the waste generated from traditional power generation.

In not nuke chat:

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/804095696081129472
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/804095965334474752
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/804096295593984000
https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/804096295593984000

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fullhouse posted:

I mean the fact that it's physically possible and presumably economically feasible to do should inform nuclear policy at least a little bit, I'd think

An optimist, in TYOOL 2016?

I'm just going off what we're Actually Doing, not what we could do. We could have massive solar farms and tight regulations, but :lol: that ever happening. If nuclear plant expansion was greenlit with a specific requirement that they reproc their rods then I'd welcome our nuclear overlords...but somehow I don't think that will happen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fiction posted:

Have you considered that there isn't in fact an unwinnable majority of anti-healthcare dumbasses in Wisconsin and in fact the Democratic party just blows rear end at properly allocating funds and platform to fight for what these people need? There was a supermajority in the Senate and your team's only achievement was passing a half-assed bill that failed to address pretty much any of the root causes of lack of health care.

"Well, the dems didn't give me full single payer today, so I guess we should vote for the guy who actively defends medicare".

Walker objectively makes healthcare concerns worse on every level. If the healthcare concerns were a significant motivator among them, then it would not matter who his opponent was, he would lose, full stop.

So again, either they are actively against healthcare and support Walker for his obstructionism and sabotage, or they want healthcare but vote for Walker because his "gently caress over them uppity blacks" policies are more important to them.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Joementum posted:

Ross is the New York Times' extremely Catholic columnist who enjoys skinny dipping with William F. Buckley and thinks premarital sex is the biggest problem in America today.

I would suggest that the Democratic party not take his advice.

it's sad that this made me realize who he was probably

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

all part of his kkk endorsed plan y'know

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Thank you for your analysis, Shy "loving Liar" Nudist "The Problem" Girl

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

nopants posted:

Anecdotally, I know people in rural Missouri that vote Republican because A) They are avid hunters. That is a major part of their identity. B) They are convinced Democrats want to take away their guns and Republicans stop them.

Its funny that antigun dems deny they want to take away anyones guns but then, when pressed or even when not pressed, admit they really do want to.

I use to be antigun, but the idiocy of the antigun crowd has definitely sent me far over to the other side, where I am considering spending time at the target range next year.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bernie's plan to execute a nuclear strike on Texas is appealing; but I think it would be unfair to the democrats that live there.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

"Well, the dems didn't give me full single payer today, so I guess we should vote for the guy who actively defends medicare".

Walker objectively makes healthcare concerns worse on every level. If the healthcare concerns were a significant motivator among them, then it would not matter who his opponent was, he would lose, full stop.

So again, either they are actively against healthcare and support Walker for his obstructionism and sabotage, or they want healthcare but vote for Walker because his "gently caress over them uppity blacks" policies are more important to them.

The people who want health care are not voting for walker. They aren't voting at all because third way Democrats like Clinton threw them under the bus on collective bargaining and trade and haven't done poo poo to earn their vote since.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fullhouse posted:

I want the American Democratic party to build a nuclear reactor in my backyard and I'm mad as hell that they don't even want to

gently caress those YIMBY shits.

nopants posted:

And we're back to the gun voters. What Democrats do and how these guys hear it have no bearing on each other. The NRA uses Democrats to drive up gun sales, and they use them without needing Democrats actions to fuel the paranoia they instill in members. The NRA using Obama's lack of action on gun control as proof that the threat of gun control was even greater should be ample proof of that.

Venom Snake posted:

Bernie's plan to execute a nuclear strike on Texas is appealing; but I think it would be unfair to the democrats that live there.

It's Texas. Just tell the press it's an unregulated fertilizer plant exploding and it wouldn't have even made the news.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fiction posted:

The people who want health care are not voting for walker. They aren't voting at all because third way Democrats like Clinton threw them under the bus on collective bargaining and trade and haven't done poo poo to earn their vote since.

So in other words, we have no idea how many of them are out there, and they are incapable of acting rationally. Walker is a million times worse on everything they care about, has been the worst thing to happen to collective bargaining in the US since Reagan, and yet somehow they will not do a thing to stop him as all alternatives have been the exact level of insufficiently pure that makes them stay away in the same way that makes them indistinguishable from not existing in significant numbers.

Burke would have given power back to unions, expanded medicare and raised the minimum wage, but, y'know, she just wasn't pure enough, so another four years of Mr. Koch Cock Puppet it is. Thanks, rural wisconsin. Oh, and thank you for those I'D laws Walker put in just in time for this election.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Dec 1, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Democrats that have come out as pro gun have largely overperformed, havent they?

I think Fulchrum may be speaking with his hopes instead of with facts again. Which is unsurprising since he actually wants to take peoples guns away, lol

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

So in other words, we have no idea how many of them are out there, and they are incapable of acting rationally. Walker is a million times worse on everything they care about, has been the worst thing to happen to collective bargaining in the US since Reagan, and yet somehow they will not do a thing to stop him as all alternatives have been the exact level of insufficiently pure that makes them stay away in the same way that makes them indistinguishable from not existing in significant numbers.

my dude these fine people are not judiciously weighing the perceived policy positions of all their candidates and coming to the conclusion "aha, I shall not vote for my potential leaders are all tainted"

they are seeing team R say "lol gently caress you" and then they are seeing team D say "[sound of crickets]"

then they shrug their shoulders and go back to trying to find a third job so they can give their kids a christmas that's even smaller than the one they had last year (which was even smaller than the one before [which was even smaller than the one before that {which was even smaller than the one before that <which was even smaller than the one before that (which was...

because the alternative is NOT getting that job and then saying "sorry kids we can't really have a christmas this year but I want you to know that I still love you, I just wasn't good enough"

that is real life poo poo and my dude I strongly suggest you take a moment to peel away some of the scale on your eyes because my goodness

my goodness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
No you daft idiot, we know exactly how many poor people are out there registered who didn't vote. it had nothing to do with purity and had exactly to do with whats best for them! And the Democrats have been so useless and ineffectual at helping them that it's better not to take time of their multiple jobs to vote for them.

• Locked thread