Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Fangz posted:

It really isn't like boob armour, and there might be complaints but it would still be silly.

It's like boob armour in the sense that it's design based on outdated conceptions of how women should look/act, and would be extremely impractical in an actual battle. I agree it's not sexualisation in quite the same way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Just change the animations so vampires all ride sidesaddle too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Orc Boyz wont... but inexplicably, Big 'Uns will.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Spellsingers are casters, anyways. Aren't they supposed to stay the gently caress out of melee?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Dandywalken posted:

Orc Boyz wont... but inexplicably, Big 'Uns will.

Don't even get started on what 'riding' style savage orcs prefer! :stonk:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Dandywalken posted:

Hello, TWCenter. How's it goin... wait, WHAT THE???

Bad posting isn't quite the same thing as rampant nationalism and sexism spammed into a poorly moderated forum.

Still more entertaining to read than tournament rules though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im going to keep campaigning for dwarves in the new world. lets dig our way to america

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Fangz posted:

It really isn't like boob armour, and there might be complaints but it would still be silly.

Edit: the point of boob armour is that it's read as compromising the setting for the gratification of an assumed male audience, who would also spend much of the time zoomed in close enough to ogle the result. In this case it's at worst inappropriate (unless there's some side saddle fetish I haven't heard of) and you spend most of the game zoomed out so it's super, super easy to ignore, like lots of TW's deviations from history has been ignored.

This is a stupid controversy. The lack of female legendary lords is an actual thing, if you care about representation.

If the Tomb King LLs don't include Khalida I will flip my poo poo. Settra+Khalida is the only sane choice for LLs.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Captain Oblivious posted:

If the Tomb King LLs don't include Khalida I will flip my poo poo. Settra+Khalida is the only sane choice for LLs.

They're both casters, right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

brocretin posted:

All Tomb King Lords by definition must be some degree of caster.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

brocretin posted:

Settra is asskicking incarnate first, and caster a distant second.

Think dad vlad, except more like grandad, and can punch vlad into the stratosphere

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, instead of debating the finer points of Tomb King sideboob or whatever, someone critique my modlist.

I'm about to start a new campaign as the Vampires and I've subscribed to the following:

-Beastmen Color Variations
-Better,Thicker Smoke Mod
-Cataph's Chaos Steeds Resized
-Chaos Cosmetics 1.2
-Chaos Cosmetics 1.2
-Griffon Color Variations
-Home Region Movement Bonus
-Moar Boar Variation
-More Horse Variations: Bretonnia & Empire (v1.1)
-Resized Lords and Heroes
-Varied Zombies
-mousillon vampire counts reskin

So yeah, mostly small visual tweaks , but I'd be glad to know if I'm missing anything "vital." I'm also thinking of installing Cataph's magic overhaul, but I kinda think I should actually try the base game's spellcasting first before souping it up. My first game was as the Dwarfs so it never really came up. Thoughts?

Mordja fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 30, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Hey, instead of talking about Tomb King sideboob or whatever, someone critique my modlist.

Put this man in charge of the Tomb Kings DLC

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
"Are there any must have mods" is asked probably once every several pages. The answer is no.

Cataph's magic mod is really popular, no AI agent aggressive actions seems pretty popular, but going past that you're really into the land of personal preference. The base game is good enough to be run without any non-cosmetic modding (and probably should be until you're familiar enough with the game that you can answer your modding preference questions yourself)

e: personally I think Khalida is more an underboob sort of lady

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Better camera mod is probably as close as you can get to a must-have. Being able to zoom the camera out a lot further is really nice and there's really no reason to stick with the very restrictive default camera.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you should activate the debug camera instead in order to have that in mutliplayer as well

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Captain Oblivious posted:

All Tomb King Lords by definition must be some degree of caster.

Tomb Kings themselves do not have casting abilities but TK armies in tabletop must include a caster with the Lore of Nehekhara to serve as the Hierophant of the army, who serves a similar role to the general in VC armies. Settra has wizard levels and Lore of Nehekhara so he can be the Hierophant, and Arkhan is a Lore of Death caster but has a special rule letting him be the Hierophant regardless. High Queen Khalida is not a caster, but has a magic staff that lets her shoot projectiles.

In effect, this means that, if you so choose, you can separate the roles of the General and the Guy Who Needs To Live Or Your Army Starts Dying. Nothing stops you from, say, designating your Liche Priest as both your General and Hierophant, iirc, but you can also have a Tomb King as your army general with a Liche Priest as Hierophant.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool, I'll leave the modlist as is then. That said, if I get pissed off at wimpy spells, can I add Cataph's mod in the middle of a campaign?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

peer posted:

It's like boob armour in the sense that it's design based on outdated conceptions of how women should look/act, and would be extremely impractical in an actual battle. I agree it's not sexualisation in quite the same way, though.

Sidesaddle was (and still is) an actual real thing though, unlike boob armor.

This is a really dumb thing to complain about.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's the opposite extreme of sexualization, and no less offensive- an impractical style of riding designed to protect the dainty modesty of women from the shocking impropriety of mounting a steed, which could drive them to go wild and enjoy sex or learn to read or something.

I'm not familiar with Warhammer Elf lore, but that seems extremely at odds with the concept of a bra-burning wild witch battlewizard.

I'm a little confused why they didn't just feminize the already pretty feminine male riders instead.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

brocretin posted:

I just don't care cuz it's really clearly CA reusing rigging from the damsel, not them trying to say anything. If all the Sisters of the Thorn were riding sidesaddle or something I would be rather troubled, but this is just a weird little thing that's a result of normal game dev economization. There're much more objectionable portrayals of women in many other games, and the limited female presence in Total Warhammer is almost entirely GW's fault, not CA's, so there's just not much to say besides 'yeah that's a bit strange'.

No one actually thinks CA is doing this out of malice; people are saying that it's bad regardless. It's worse than a "weird little thing", because it's inherently connected to larger issues with games and stands out a lot even if you have a basic understanding of the lore. I get that they were just saving time but it's def an issue i'd like to see corrected, that's all. I hear everyone saying that seeing a female LL would be most important, and this can be modded in, but I still think this is worth fixing themselves.

Also, arguing that other games don't have good representation of woman is a moot point and irresponsible. And just cause GW hosed up doesn't mean CA can't make some Female LLs as other have said there are some good opportunities to do such and CA has already departed from GW many times.

Edit: Apparently sidesaddle for Woods is lore correct and I'm an idiot. It does look silly tho

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 1, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Truecon420 posted:

No one actually thinks CA is doing this out of malice; people are saying that it's bad regardless. It's worse than a "weird little thing", because it's inherently connected to larger issues with games and stands out a lot even if you have a basic understanding of the lore. I get that they were just saving time but it's def an issue i'd like to see corrected, that's all. I hear everyone saying that seeing a female LL would be most important, and this can be modded in, but I still think this is worth fixing themselves.

Also, arguing that other games don't have good representation of woman is a moot point and irresponsible. And just cause GW hosed up doesn't mean CA can't make some Female LLs as other have said there are some good opportunities to do such and CA has already departed from GW many times.

Right. This is a point that often gets lost in the shuffle. We can do both things! Fixing this dumb sidesaddle nonsense does not intrinsically have an opportunity cost of "welp guess no female LLs then". It is not zero sum, we can do both. And we should, because even if the sidesaddle thing isn't the end of the world or the worst thing ever it isn't good either.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

Sidesaddle was (and still is) an actual real thing though, unlike boob armor.

This is a really dumb thing to complain about.

yeah but would this ogre

ride sidesaddle on this stonehead

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

Of course the female ogre has a rolling pin as weapon, Im going to write a huge blog about it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Korgan posted:

yeah but would this ogre

ride sidesaddle on this stonehead

Yes. Next question?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Korgan posted:

this ogre

Isn't the backstory for this that Ogre mercenaries dress up as the most badass warrior they've seen, and this guy saw a housewife beating the everloving poo poo out of an abusive husband with a rolling pin and she impressed him more than anyone else? I remember some goon talking about this before.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fangz posted:

Edit: the point of boob armour is that it's read as compromising the setting for the gratification of an assumed male audience, who would also spend much of the time zoomed in close enough to ogle the result. In this case it's at worst inappropriate (unless there's some side saddle fetish I haven't heard of) and you spend most of the game zoomed out so it's super, super easy to ignore, like lots of TW's deviations from history has been ignored.

This is a stupid controversy. The lack of female legendary lords is an actual thing, if you care about representation.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck please gas the thread... We are talking about Boob Armor now!

Also if you want women in the game just mod it in.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

my dad posted:

Isn't the backstory for this that Ogre mercenaries dress up as the most badass warrior they've seen, and this guy saw a housewife beating the everloving poo poo out of an abusive husband with a rolling pin and she impressed him more than anyone else? I remember some goon talking about this before.

Yes and that was probably me again because that is a fantastic model and GW should have kept doing things like that instead of super serious grimdark

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

my dad posted:

That's amazing, and way better than that just being a female ogre with a beard.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I'm legit really stoked to find out what CA does with Maneaters.

Also hope every faction can hire Ogre mercenaries when they come out.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Exmond posted:

lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Exmond posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck please gas the thread... We are talking about Boob Armor now!

Yikes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

I'm not familiar with Warhammer Elf lore, but that seems extremely at odds with the concept of a bra-burning wild witch battlewizard.

It's not really at odds with the lore at all, though. Wood elves are the secret hand behind Brettonia's entire culture, so making them resemble damsels (who are taught magic by wood elf practitioners) is sensible when you have the resources ready to go.

They're not bra-burning because they're not allowed open flames in the forest.

I hope they make the Sisters and have them ride their dragon sidesaddle.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I hope they resolve the side saddling issue by adding an animation that when the units are flanked from the opposite side, they go flying through the air casting spells the whole way until they explode upon landing. Although I'm not really sure what the issue is, CA took a shortcut to reuse a model, we get a whole new race with magic and tree ents and badass archers, I'm pretty excited, this game has been incredible so far.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

sassassin posted:

It's not really at odds with the lore at all, though. Wood elves are the secret hand behind Brettonia's entire culture, so making them resemble damsels (who are taught magic by wood elf practitioners) is sensible when you have the resources ready to go.

They're not bra-burning because they're not allowed open flames in the forest.

I hope they make the Sisters and have them ride their dragon sidesaddle.

You're fundamentally misunderstanding the depth and direction of the Wood Elves' influence on Brettonia. They aren't responsible for the Arthurian Chivalry Knightly Knight caricature that is Brettonian culture, they just point it away from them and towards whatever they find threatening. Brettonia is a buffer state, not a cultural student. The Damsels are positioned where they are to facilitate Wood Elven defensive interests, not to propagate Wood Elven culture, nor are they responsible for Brettonian ideas of gender.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Fangz posted:

Where is my goddamn Elspeth von Draken DLC :colbert:

e: seriously look at her, hopefully with Wood Elves they bother making a lady on a dragon so the Empire can rock the Graveyard Rose instead of Balthazar loving Gelt

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 1, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Something else to point out is that the actual models weren't riding side saddle.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
My understanding is that they Wood Elves themselves aren't the ones manipulating Brettonia, but an elven goddess is doing it on their behalf. And after a few millenniums playing with her toy kingdom, she ends up liking them more than the elves themselves since WE are giant dicks even by elf standards.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I dont know posted:

My understanding is that they Wood Elves themselves aren't the ones manipulating Brettonia, but an elven goddess is doing it on their behalf. And after a few millenniums playing with her toy kingdom, she ends up liking them more than the elves themselves since WE are giant dicks even by elf standards.

Uh, excuse me

The Dark Elves exist and are considered part of "elf standards" so that can't possibly be true :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bitchworth Moonbeam is a Wood Elf outlier, and should not have been counted.

• Locked thread