Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Saint Freak posted:

Ingis Sciencer gets an idea from having eaten roadside diner french fries. He quickly takes out his notebook and scribbles the rare delicacy 'french fries' in it, somehow never having heard of them before.

Today I read a cooking magazine and suddenly Ignis had a brilliant idea for a recepay.
Dude just lifted it straight from the magazine and said it was his own idea!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Guess I'm going back to the station after I get home from work.

I mean it's mostly just that they sometimes give extra bits of lore or worldbuilding. Like, if you talk to Dave right after finding him in the hut at the beginning of the game, he starts wondering if there is any connection between the monsters mutating and the daemons and nights getting longer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terper posted:

Just talk to Cindy until she stops giving you quests.

e: Yes always talk to all NPCs several times

Similarly Cid will upgrade your weapons but you have to talk to him over and over. "Hey bring me some parts!" <level 2 spear quest received> "Hey bring me some parts!" <level 2 sword quest received> "Hey bring me some parts!" <level 2 gun quest received>

Kinda wish they had an upgrade UI at that point, but you should always talk to NPCs forever in FF games.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Use L2 and left stick to drift what could that...Oh poo poo!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

I mean it's mostly just that they sometimes give extra bits of lore or worldbuilding. Like, if you talk to Dave right after finding him in the hut at the beginning of the game, he starts wondering if there is any connection between the monsters mutating and the daemons and nights getting longer.

This includes all the radios you find around btw, there are tons of news reports that update after big events and other stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

You're told you need to find these 13 tombs to recover the powers of the kings. It's a direct and pretty unambiguous reference to the "unlock the sealed weapon" thing from FFV.

So I guess Knights of the Round 2 is going to be a thing?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I guess Knights of the Round 2 is going to be a thing?

You sorta get a taste of that in Kingsglaive during the final battle. It may not be the same thing but it did to me.

The Old Wall

Terper posted:

Right up my ally, I want that stuff.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is it. It feels kinda delayed because you can't cancel, so you have to commit to attacks and not get to greedy about attacking forever when poo poo might be coming. Also swap between fast and slow weapons.

I think there was a YouTube video showing that you can guard break to cancel any attack string. It was posted earlier in the thread.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't know what open world games you think do this well then. Even like Witcher 3 is "Oh, well, you might be looking for your daughter but maybe you'd rather trek halfway across the map to hunt a werewolf instead" and that's frankly my gold standard when I think of well-integrated stories in open-world games.

Yeah I'm probably over-reacting. This poo poo just sticks out like a sore thumb in a series that has been known for reasonably structured, full on storytelling. Same goes for MGSV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Hunts that happen only at night time are pretty hairy

Run awaaaaaaay

Megasabin posted:

I think there was a YouTube video showing that you can guard break to cancel any attack string. It was posted earlier in the thread.

Hm, maybe my controller is messing up or maybe I'm just not holding it long enough. My item menu sometimes pops up when I don't push the button, although the PS4's L2/R2 have always been super sensitive...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm like level 22 and I still don't understand how the gently caress the health bar works. I got to the waterfall/ice cave dungeon and my health bar just got shorter and shorter after each fight and I could get any potions to restore my health out if combat. Super annoying that this poo poo isn't made more clear.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

:laffo: @ Gladio in that vid

Now I want to go home so I can play it

My favorite part is Noctis clapping his hands together like "Yup, job well done."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Hunts that happen only at night time are pretty hairy

Run awaaaaaaay

God bless Prompto. :allears:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been pronouncing Gysahl wrong!!!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MMD3 posted:

I'm like level 22 and I still don't understand how the gently caress the health bar works. I got to the waterfall/ice cave dungeon and my health bar just got shorter and shorter after each fight and I could get any potions to restore my health out if combat. Super annoying that this poo poo isn't made more clear.

If you lose all HP, you're put into a Danger state. When in Danger, your max HP decreases. You can recover from Danger by getting a pat on the back or using a Potion. Once out of Danger, your max HP will be that amount until you either camp or use an Elixir.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MMD3 posted:

Its in the games surprisingly in depth tutorial, but elixirs fix permanent hp damage, as does a good car trip or nap.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah I'm probably over-reacting. This poo poo just sticks out like a sore thumb in a series that has been known for reasonably structured, full on storytelling. Same goes for MGSV.

Isn't it like the first half of the game this lighter open world thing then it proceeds to that structured full on storytelling? So there's actually more story later, which would be the opposite of what MGS V did

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Today I read a cooking magazine and suddenly Ignis had a brilliant idea for a recepay.
Dude just lifted it straight from the magazine and said it was his own idea!

I saw two of those in the first zone and I have no idea where the others are. This is going to hurt the ocd in me

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Terper posted:

If you lose all HP, you're put into a Danger state. When in Danger, your max HP decreases. You can recover from Danger by getting a pat on the back or using a Potion. Once out of Danger, your max HP will be that amount until you either camp or use an Elixir.

So it's important to not let a battle end when your max is reduced before using a potion? I had no idea elixirs were a thing I needed to carry around. Seems pretty critical for dungeons

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So what does Gladio's skill actually do? Does he just give you random items when you rest?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RatHat posted:

So what does Gladio's skill actually do? Does he just give you random items when you rest?

He finds items after battles. You see tooltips on the lower right side above the health bars.

"Gladio finds a potion." etc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RatHat posted:

He also finds poo poo on enemies when you kill them. Basically he is both your buff buddy bodyguard and a rummager of dead men's pockets. He is the whole package.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't it like the first half of the game this lighter open world thing then it proceeds to that structured full on storytelling? So there's actually more story later, which would be the opposite of what MGS V did

I heard that the 2nd half of the game takes a huge nosedive in quality though

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MMD3 posted:

So it's important to not let a battle end when your max is reduced before using a potion? I had no idea elixirs were a thing I needed to carry around. Seems pretty critical for dungeons

Its not about battles ending really...

You shouldn't let your health get diminished at all. If your health is at or near zero, use a potion or hi-potion to top off, like any RPG. Avoid being in the hurt state, its like you died but you get to keep going, but its bad. If you do get beat up, use a potion right away to minimize the damage to your max HP and get back to normal state.

After battle, as long as your max health is fine, you'll heal fully to your max health. You just don't want to let your max health ever drop low.

If you take a lot of hard hits and your max health is really low, then you use an elixir. Its that simple.

Dude how did you have no idea elixirs exist and you're level 22? The shops that sell potions sell phoenix downs and elixirs. You just have to read the item description to figure out how all this works. (or the tutorial :v: but I skipped it and still figured it out)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lakbay posted:

Yeah that what I've heard. That it just throws you down a funnel to get you through to the ending as quickly as possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lakbay posted:

Reviews I read said the endgame was full of optional bosses and challenges that were some of the best stuff period, so :shrug:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I mean it sounds like a Final Fantasy game to me. Where's the controversy? :confused:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Gameplay Spoilers for later chapters One of the later chapters is a really lovely forced stealth section from what I heard

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Dungeons are really cool so far, in that they seem completely optional and all have their own thing going on. The Mines were terrifying after the Level 52 Samurai zombie dude showed up on the tracks. That was one of the coolest oh poo poo moments I've had so far. I also found an abandoned fallout shelter or something far to the north of Hammerhead. It seemed haunted or maybe it was just the Imps being dicks, but it had a really cool flow. All I'm finding are locked doors though so obviously they are later game content.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Levantine posted:

Dungeons are really cool so far, in that they seem completely optional and all have their own thing going on. The Mines were terrifying after the Level 52 Samurai zombie dude showed up on the tracks. That was one of the coolest oh poo poo moments I've had so far. I also found an abandoned fallout shelter or something far to the north of Hammerhead. It seemed haunted or maybe it was just the Imps being dicks, but it had a really cool flow. All I'm finding are locked doors though so obviously they are later game content.

The second one is a chapter 2 quest dungeon so you'll be doing it real soon.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Are there places to get the 2x XP boost that don't cost an insane amount? It's crazy to go from $300 for 1.5x to $10,000 for 2x.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Hey guys, hope it's kosher to ask a question like this...

I haven't really enjoyed a Final Fantasy title since FFX. Part of it has to do with a recent aversion to turn-based combat (thought I do like it) and I appreciate that this game does things a little more like Kingdom Hearts.

Also, embarrassingly, one of my hobbies happens to be collecting and selling manga and doujinshi on eBay - uh, pretty much all yaoi. So I guess what I am asking is whether this game is as queer as it really seems.

I mean, Final Fantasy games have always been like super-gay or queer - they're these big overarching stories with operatic over the top characters and betrayals and the fate of the world is generally at stake by the end of things and your party of mostly skinny pretty guys and gals go in to save the world, often via the power of love or friendship or something. I'm not saying it's bad or doesn't work, I like it! But it is what it is.

But yeah, I just am sincerely curious as to whether they really turned the gay up to 11 and embraced it in the localization, or dialed it back and had the characters saying "no homo, man!" all the time, or something. Also, is English locked or can you switch to Japanese and subtitles?

Again, sorry about the questions; I still have a PS3 and this is the first game that's made me go "Ok, it's really time to finally just get a goddamn PS4." So it's not just a $50-$60 decision but more like a $300-$450 decision,

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

MMD3 posted:

You can also pop Ignis' Regroup during battle, that'll help bump your health back up. It also revives anybody who's in that stagger phase, as long as they're not actually KO'd (then they need a Phoenix Down).

quote:

Also, embarrassingly, one of my hobbies happens to be collecting and selling manga and doujinshi on eBay - uh, pretty much all yaoi. So I guess what I am asking is whether this game is as queer as it really seems.

Uh, two of the main cast show relationships/attractions to women early on, but it's four bros being on a road trip, so I'm sure you can find something without looking very hard, I imagine it doesn't break immersion too much if you really want it to.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 1, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Explosion promises confirmed.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Holy poo poo magic is insanely OP if you put on a bunch of gear that boosts it. Found some accessory with +100 magic and on Normal I had to replay a boss because I insta-gibbed it with a tri-cast lightning before the fight even started, which was way too anticlimactic.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Holy poo poo magic is insanely OP if you put on a bunch of gear that boosts it. Found some accessory with +100 magic and on Normal I had to replay a boss because I insta-gibbed it with a tri-cast lightning before the fight even started, which was way too anticlimactic.

Does that also mean you'll one-shot your bros though? Especially if the DoT on the ground is also boosted.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
This is a really dumb question, but since the tutorial I haven't been able to get warp points to work. Like the geographical ones, not warp strikes. I can see them but I can never lock onto them, and just end up warping in random directions. I feel like the whole world of not button mashing will open up once I figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've been playing for a couple hours now and none of the characters have expressed sexual interest in anyone or anything

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the food in this game is the best looking food I have ever seen in a video game. I can't think of a game that's made me this hungry since River City Ransom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Campbell posted:

This is a really dumb question, but since the tutorial I haven't been able to get warp points to work. Like the geographical ones, not warp strikes. I can see them but I can never lock onto them, and just end up warping in random directions. I feel like the whole world of not button mashing will open up once I figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.

You need to hold down Triangle with the Warp Point in view, instead of tapping it. Noctis' target priority will switch to the Point.

• Locked thread