Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

If they hired Mac I will just feel confused.

SpurDog to interim coach though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/803811062738874368

are we this blessed?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's going to be Chip.

This is my bet too.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kim Jong Il posted:

Holg is just loving weird in that Tony Gibson was a crappy DB coach who somehow is really good at coaching against the Big XII spread. Almost as weird as Fleck taking the worst OC of all time in Kirk CIarrocca and somehow making him non terrible.
Perhaps this Kirk Ciarrocca guy was shackled by Rutgers' roster and location, and when he actually had a MAC-quality roster he lit it up?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Nope, the program was pretty good then with lots of players who made the NFL, he was comically inept. It was much better before he arrived and got much better after he left.

Also LOL at Schiano, he is close to Feldman and obviously fed him that story.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

No way.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

This is some karmic-rear end retribution for me laughing at all the terrible names being floated for other coaching searches, that now I have to sweat Schiano or Kiffin being the HC at Oregon.

Or.....the search fails so remarkably Hoke is elevated.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
https://twitter.com/InsideTheRebels/status/803759009144545280

Looks like UNLV will be getting some new blood in at position coaches since Sanchez is keeping both OC Barney Cotton and DC Kent Baer. Ehhhhhhhhh

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Oregon reaching out to Lincoln Riley :/

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Listen Oregon, if you want an Ohio State coordinator we have this slightly used Tim Beck or Ed Warriner you can have for free, since we're very generous and you spent so much to dump your old coach. Schiano will cost you top dollar though.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Not sure about some of the names Feldman is throwing out but who knows. This will (hopefully) be the first time Oregon hires from outside the program so it's hard to say what kind of direction they'll take. Fleck seems like the top candidate at this point so I imagine they'll offer whatever it takes to get him. Harsin is eh, I'd kinda prefer they go for Beau Baldwin over him. I'm more concerned with what they'll do for DC - keeping Hoke would be a mistake.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Oregon reaching out to Lincoln Riley :/

Air loving Raid. Are the Oregon boosters envious of what Mike Leach is doing at Washington State or something? Also, Oregon really needs to find someone who can recruit the speed that they used to be able to get at all of their offensive positions. That's one thing that's been missing from Oregon for the past few years now which scared other teams to death and made their spread attack hard to defend.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/11/29/football-program-getting-new-direction.aspx

Did you guys read the press release? It's the most negative announcement like this that I've ever read lol.

That link didn't really show it. Here:

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/803797477451104256?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I mean...is that really necessary? You don't have to justify firing the man in your press release, I think everyone gets it.

e: Oh I guess this was up for a while and then deleted.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I think Helfrich could have survived another year if he won Civil War and fired Hoke on Sunday. Since he did neither :frogout:

This is the type of gig that Fleck should be throwing his panties at as hard as he can, not this Purdue crap. I know he's a midwestern guy but it's not like there's an instate recruiting hotbed so it's the same Cali/Texas/Florida pipeline as nearly everyone else.

Also, I kinda hope that Holgo the Magnificent gets the gig, if only so we get him vs. Leach every year just throwing every offensive trick in the book at each other. Set the O/U to 135 and have at it.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, that looks more like an article than a press release. I don't think Mullens has the balls to tell it like it is

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Holg is just loving weird in that Tony Gibson was a crappy DB coach who somehow is really good at coaching against the Big XII spread. Almost as weird as Fleck taking the worst OC of all time in Kirk CIarrocca and somehow making him non terrible.

Gibson got better as a position coach as he got older, and he's turned into a great coordinator and has always been a great recruiter.

MourningView posted:

Yeah they were good this year but the rest of his time there has been pretty underwhelming. Seems like he might want out though. That whole list is pretty meh

He likes the job, but he doesn't have a great (it's not acrimonious, just not a like buddy-buddy) relationship with Shane Lyons our AD. They had an impasse last year during contract negotiations and Lyons walked and said, okay we'll talk again after next season (he's very lucky we couldn't afford to fire him last year.) However, the consensus seems to be that a deal is in the works to keep him here, so a lot of Dana popping up in coaching searches could also be his agent (who he shares with Tom Herman).

That said, I think Holgs has done an okay job here. It's not an "easy" job, and it was made more difficult coming into a much tougher league. I think it also took him a while to realize that we couldn't just be Texas Tech East and recruit the same people, so like he's evolved a whole lot as a coach and I think showed a lot of maturity this year. On the other hand, we've still just came up short in big moments (LSU, Oklahoma x4, etc) and haven't really gotten over the hump.

If Oregon wants to outbid us, then they can but I think that or the pull of going back to a place he really liked (Houston) are the only places I am really "worried" about him going.

If he does leave, it will be interesting to see where Lyons goes. I am told that he very much thinks Alabama -- where he spent the last decade -- was how a program should be ran, and I am curious if he'd make a run at Kiffin or another Saban-ite. The fallback would be for Gibby to get the HC and bring in someone to run the Offense, but I am --personally-- not thrilled about that. The wildcard would be how much influence Gordon Gee would exert in such a high level search.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 30, 2016

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Schiano is a good college coach, but Oregon seems like an odd fit for him. They need someone who runs a weird offense and can pull the good non-pro style recruits from Cali. Or just have an interim guy until Chip Kelly gets fired.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I know it's a lean year, but I would be awfully nervous about hiring PJ Fleck as a coach of a top program. He's a great recruiter, but I would be worried about a guy who in a conference like the MAC can immediately outrecruit the competition without having to rely on your schemes or coordinators. I would be worried that he's another Brady Hoke whose talents are uniquely suited to less competitive conferences.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Democrazy posted:

I know it's a lean year, but I would be awfully nervous about hiring PJ Fleck as a coach of a top program. He's a great recruiter, but I would be worried about a guy who in a conference like the MAC can immediately outrecruit the competition without having to rely on your schemes or coordinators. I would be worried that he's another Brady Hoke whose talents are uniquely suited to less competitive conferences.

I don't the comparison is at all the same, but it's always a risk when you make a hire.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N835ND

:toot:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

hah, I wonder what ND would do then? Fleck?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

It'd be hilarious if this happens, Oregon gets to the CFBCG, and is slaughtered by Bama.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm a bigger fan of the plane with WMU in the tail number going from Kalamazoo to Waco.

Or, I guess I should say "plane".

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/30/13798470/football-coach-candidate-plane-flight-tracking-flightaware

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/804111218612924416

This would be a good hire, which is highly disappointing to me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

As someone from Tampa I would be disappointed to see Taggart leave, because he's literally turned that poo poo program around at USF. But with that said he's certainly earned a better job

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm all for it if it ends with Charlie Strong being the HC at a Florida school. It is his destiny.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

vyst posted:

As someone from Tampa I would be disappointed to see Taggart leave, because he's literally turned that poo poo program around at USF. But with that said he's certainly earned a better job

Can you shed any details on the type of system he likes to run? I'll have to read up on him when I get out of work.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

dphi posted:

Can you shed any details on the type of system he likes to run? I'll have to read up on him when I get out of work.

They call it a gulf coast offense. It's basically what you do if you want to run a system with a Harbaugh/Petrino-style passing tree but just don't have the linemen to block for it consistently so you run it from the gun.

- 1 Vertical option on every play regardless of what it is
- Baylor style receiver splits that make coverages faster to read at the expense of being beaten hard if the opposing corners match up well
- Heavy ability to shift pre-snap/emphasis on changing alignments to gain advantage
- Option style running that incorporates both power blocking and zone with emphasis on buck sweep, power 0, and Midline zone read options

It would be a ridiculously good fit with what Oregon has historically done on offense and could be a pretty natural shift into his system, but it also means you're completely dependent on his hire at DC to fix that lovely defense.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That video of Phil Knight in the ohio state locker room on Saturday makes a lot of sense now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sportsgenius86 posted:

That video of Phil Knight in the ohio state locker room on Saturday makes a lot of sense now.

Yeah It'll be interesting to hear what all was going on behind the scenes after they finally find someone.

Also! New Phil Knight strategy to finally get Oregon a NC: issue a bunch of day-glo green and yellow uniforms to OSU that are conveniently missing the SU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

They call it a gulf coast offense. It's basically what you do if you want to run a system with a Harbaugh/Petrino-style passing tree but just don't have the linemen to block for it consistently so you run it from the gun.

- 1 Vertical option on every play regardless of what it is
- Baylor style receiver splits that make coverages faster to read at the expense of being beaten hard if the opposing corners match up well
- Heavy ability to shift pre-snap/emphasis on changing alignments to gain advantage
- Option style running that incorporates both power blocking and zone with emphasis on buck sweep, power 0, and Midline zone read options

It would be a ridiculously good fit with what Oregon has historically done on offense and could be a pretty natural shift into his system, but it also means you're completely dependent on his hire at DC to fix that lovely defense.

Yea, basically he developed an offense with his only real blue chippers being a Running QB that is OK at throwing, a good running back, and serviceable, tall receivers. His OL including TE's were poo poo.

Oregon players are tailor made for this style of offense.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yeah It'll be interesting to hear what all was going on behind the scenes after they finally find someone.

Also! New Phil Knight strategy to finally get Oregon a NC: issue a bunch of day-glo green and yellow uniforms to OSU that are conveniently missing the SU

Ohio State is a huge Nike client?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Taggert's won everywhere he's been and USF was super fun this year, that'd be a cool hire. I forgot he was on the harbaugh stanford staff too, so he has a little bit of west coast experience.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Thanks for the info, Taggart does sound like a great fit.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Can Taggart hire back Tom Allen so Indiana is lovely on defense again.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
I am guessing someone at Oregon mentioned Scott Frost and then they looked down the road at the guy that has a better resume to date than Frost, is at a similar job, and similarly runs a high -scoring offense.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Frost hire would be hard to justify, given that you're replacing an ex-Oregon OC with another

But Scott just needs to hold the course for another two years, at which point Mike Riley gets fired for going 4-8

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I was gonna say Nebraska fans have been trying to hire Scott Frost for years now. If he's even kinda successful he's gonna get called home

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Alright guys, I've gotten off my rear end to fix the OP. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Taggart is a great coach and is especially great at resuscitating programs from the dead. Western Kentucky brought him onboard in 2010 after going winless the season before. In two years he lead them to a winning record, and in the next year he got them to a bowl game. Then he went to USF where they went 3-9 in their last year with Skip Holtz. In two years he had them in a bowl game, and the next year he set a school record for wins.

Guy has a great reputation, runs a really entertaining offense and has been successful wherever he goes, which is awful because I'd be forced to hope he fails if he ends up a Duck.

• Locked thread