Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aleph Null posted:

"Hacking" was an FPS corridor shooter minus the shooting.

Still better than most movie hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
On the superhero origin chat I always liked the jokes about in in Sky High, a little cared about Disney movie that I found kinda charming and like throwing on every now and then.

The main character, Will Stronghold, is the son of two superheroes, the Commander ( Steve Stronghold, his father), boasting great Strength and Jetstream (Josie Stronghold, his mother), who can fly at supersonic speeds. However he has developed no powers himself and is worried about it never happening. There are some amusing scenes involving that, like his conversation with the school nurse who, appropriately, has X-ray vision:

"You see the kids who get bitten by radioactive insects, or fall into a vat of toxic waste, they get their powers the next day... or... they die..."

Or when his parents are worrying about the news and this exchange happens:

Father: Well, theres nothing that can be done about it anyway, I mean we can't just drop him into a vat of toxic waste... :allears:(starts fantasising mischeviously)
Mother: Steve!
Father: You're right... I mean where would we even get a vat of toxic...
Mother: STEVE!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sky High was an absolutely amazing film and weirdly ahead of the rest of the genre. Shame the guy turned out to have both his mother and his father's powers, that put a bit of a damper on the aesop they had going.

There was a show over here called National Treasure (no not that one...), about a (fictional and totally not Jimmy Saville related) famous British celebrity who had been accused of rape and sexual assault he'd allegedly committed in his youth. It was a fantastic, really gripping show that constantly had you question whether or not he was actually responsible, or what he felt during the trial process. The acting was superb and the whole thing was a horrible, leery mess where some small part of you was torn up between wanting him to be innocent and undeserving of all this, and another part that wanted the bastard to be guilty and absolutely destroyed as a result.

In the end he's cleared of all charges and allowed to go free, but I think this was ruined somewhat by having a flashback just before the jury's verdict showing that the accusations were very real and it was all true. While I understand the need for an audience's closure, I felt it hurt the series pretty significantly by having an objective truth shoved front and center like that. Its main strength was not knowing exactly what had happened and trying to second guess Robbie Coltrane's acting.

On an even flimsier note Robbie Coltrane being the main actor now makes me think of Hagrid being a rapist. :saddowns:

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Given the years of scandals about the Beeb covering up pedo activity, it would have been unwise to have a show which pushed the "she was lying for attention/money" angle. Even the ambiguity would have invited too much criticism. For the same reason, I pretty much knew how the show would play out from the start, but despite that it was still excellently done, Ch4 really captured the Scandi-noir vibe

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Wow, that's awesome(ly scary). Thanks for the links! I could always buy the idea of toying with a pacemaker via RF, but I always thought the worse you could do would be to shut it down, meaning that it wouldn't kick in at the next arrhythmia but not kill someone outright. It's pretty cool to learn that fiction is pretty close to reality. Watch_dogs was right all along!

Now the only thing I need explained is how he did it over wi-fi...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Given the years of scandals about the Beeb covering up pedo activity, it would have been unwise to have a show which pushed the "she was lying for attention/money" angle. Even the ambiguity would have invited too much criticism. For the same reason, I pretty much knew how the show would play out from the start, but despite that it was still excellently done, Ch4 really captured the Scandi-noir vibe

Yeah, I can buy that as a reason, I just thought it was a bit disappointing. It made a fantastic effort to show that he was guilty and the girls really were victims, but that final bit of non-ambiguity knocked the shine off a little. It wasn't a breaking point by any means though, and I do understand the reasoning behind it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poptart_fairy posted:

Sky High was an absolutely amazing film and weirdly ahead of the rest of the genre. Shame the guy turned out to have both his mother and his father's powers, that put a bit of a damper on the aesop they had going.

It really is a fun movie. Better than most superhero movies by a mile, too.

I agree the weakest part is that, after going through Hero Support and coming to terms with not having powers he then gets not one, but two superpowers.

Of course, all his friends still keep their lovely powers and will be doomed to live their lives as second class citizens. But, hey, main character gets the power, the fame and the girl, so gently caress all of them, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

I agree the weakest part is that, after going through Hero Support and coming to terms with not having powers he then gets not one, but two superpowers.

Of course, all his friends still keep their lovely powers and will be doomed to live their lives as second class citizens. But, hey, main character gets the power, the fame and the girl, so gently caress all of them, right?

It's okay, his girlfriend ended up getting ice powers and hanging with the Flash.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I at least enjoyed that the Hero Support students were instrumental in stopping the villains, a lot of them got a clear victory eg Ethan taking down Lash and at least distracting Speed long enough to be finished off by Warren. Zak and Magenta got some good utility going too.

Although my favourite character was Mr Medulla. Love how he hangs out and has good rapport with the entire teaching staff from what we see of them all together - the Double Date with Coach Boomer is hilarious as is him reminiscing with Mr Boy about how they used to use real citizens during "Save the Citizen".

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay, his girlfriend ended up getting ice powers and hanging with the Flash.

I watched some of that show, and it's like they have different VFX companies for each episode. The quality varies so wildly that it just yanks you out of the show. Really strange.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Genetic poo poo, radioactive poo poo, whatever - both are just as unrealistic to me. I've heard "radioactive spider" so much I just assumed it was that in the movie too. I have seen the movies but my eyes must have glazed over for the part where they tried to explain why getting bit by a spider gives you super powers.

Please tell me an acceptably realistic causation of The Hulk, Human Torch, and Spider-man.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Please tell me an acceptably realistic causation of The Hulk, Human Torch, and Spider-man.

Gigantism, Spontaneous Human Combustion, Suction Cups.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sandman got bitten by radioactive sand.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Sandman got bitten by radioactive sand.

Sand is ground up rocks. Ground up uranium ore. :colbert:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Squirrel Girl is just like that. That's just how she is.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Squirrel Girl is just like that. That's just how she is.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spider-Ham is a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

On the superhero origin chat I always liked the jokes about in in Sky High, a little cared about Disney movie that I found kinda charming and like throwing on every now and then.

The main character, Will Stronghold, is the son of two superheroes, the Commander ( Steve Stronghold, his father), boasting great Strength and Jetstream (Josie Stronghold, his mother), who can fly at supersonic speeds. However he has developed no powers himself and is worried about it never happening. There are some amusing scenes involving that, like his conversation with the school nurse who, appropriately, has X-ray vision:

"You see the kids who get bitten by radioactive insects, or fall into a vat of toxic waste, they get their powers the next day... or... they die..."

Father: Well, theres nothing that can be done about it anyway, I mean we can't just drop him into a vat of toxic waste... :allears:(starts fantasising mischeviously)

The best part of that movie was the scene where the goth shapeshifting chick turns into her hamster form to chew some wires or whatever and it's extremely clearly a $2 hand puppet that isn't even the right animal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I saw Dr Strange, and I thought Mordo was going to use some bitching flying flaming skull spell because his toy has those, and he doesn't, and that sucked.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Spider-Ham is a spider that was bitten by a radioactive pig.

Does Marvel Studios own the rights to Spider-Ham?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I've noticed in some movies/shows when they film a passionate/rough love scene it follows a pattern: two characters are making out rubbing their hands all over each other until the guy turns the girl around(their pants are always around their ankles at this point), bends her over and begins to thrust for like 20 seconds until they have a breathy orgasm.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Of course, just like in real life.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

dordreff posted:

The best part of that movie was the scene where the goth shapeshifting chick turns into her hamster form to chew some wires or whatever and it's extremely clearly a $2 hand puppet that isn't even the right animal.

Guinea pig and yes, they totally did that on purpose and it makes me crack up.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gaunab posted:

I've noticed in some movies/shows when they film a passionate/rough love scene it follows a pattern: two characters are making out rubbing their hands all over each other until the guy turns the girl around(their pants are always around their ankles at this point), bends her over and begins to thrust for like 20 seconds until they have a breathy orgasm.

Tbh I've hosed like that and it can be cool and good as an occasional thing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BioEnchanted posted:

Michael Angarano is irrationally irritating to me. I hate him more than any actor I can think of, yet I'm not sure why. I think it's because of petty poo poo like he has a weird head so most of the hairstyles they give him in movies look odd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Inzombiac posted:

Guinea pig and yes, they totally did that on purpose and it makes me crack up.

On the basis of absolutely no evidence whatsoever, I've always thought it was a little nod to the gopher in Caddyshack.

Salsa Shark
Sep 17, 2012

:omarcomin:
aa

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Tbh I've hosed like that and it can be cool and good as an occasional thing.

Look at this smug goon whose "had sex" :rolleyes:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I didn't like Benedict Cumnerpatch's American accent in Doctor Strange. Sounded like he watched House and went "that's it!"

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

I didn't like Benedict Cumnerpatch's American accent in Doctor Strange. Sounded like he watched House and went "that's it!"

It's a weird idea of theirs to cast possibly the most English actor in human history and then have him try to do an American accent. Like, I get that the character is American, but he could be English really easily without affecting things much, especially in a movie that turned an Tibetan man into a white woman.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

His Australian accent was also bad when he played Julian Assange. Benedict Cumberbatch has like the most golden British voice ever why even hire him if you don't want his real accent.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Gaunab posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It sort of irritates me that, in the American version of House of Cards, Underwood is motivated to bring down the president because he's passed over for Secretary of State, but he's a very powerful and influential congressman so the State Department would actually be a significant step down for him.

In the BBC version, Urquhart is the Conservative chief whip, so his influence is limited to the Conservative Party in parliament, and he decides to bring down the prime minister because he was passed over for appointment as Home Secretary, which would have given him real power. The problem is that they were too strict about carrying that over into the Netflix version of the series but didn't allow for the differences between the structures of the British and American legislative and executive branches of government.

Another thing that bothers me about the Netflix version is how Underwood does his Shakespearean asides while he's in the room and even in mid-conversation with other people, whereas as far as I can recall Urquhart only ever addressed the audience when he was alone with them.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't Secretary of State one of the most prestigious jobs? That's way bigger than being a party whip especially if he wants the next step of his career.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't Secretary of State one of the most prestigious jobs? That's way bigger than being a party whip especially if he wants the next step of his career.

Yeah, American Underwood has always been angling for an eventual presidency from day one. He probably saw the post of secretary of state as a way to get some national name recognition and visible accomplishments for an eventual run in the primaries.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

It comes with a massive boost to national profile and gives valuable foreign policy experience, so it's a very coveted job for people running for President.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How high-profile is the Secretary of State, really? I appreciate I'm talking as an outsider but Clinton and to an extent Kerry strike me as exceptions to the rule.

I think the last Secretary of State who successfully parlayed their role into the presidency was James Buchanan. :shrug:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's in charge of American foreign policy so it's pretty much the most important job and arguably more than the vice president in terms of getting recognition.

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Dec 7, 2016

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
While it's not a for sure stepping stone to the Presidency, it would make sense for Underwood to want the position. While he was majority whip ( I think, haven't seen season 1 in awhile) and known nationally, SoS is a position in the Executive Branch, put him in contact with various world leaders and top diplomats and be involved with high level military officials. He wouldn't have been able to do that as Whip.

The thing I don't get is how he doesn't see (spoilers for last season) how the gently caress he doesn't think Claire won't hesitate for a milisecond to take him out when she's VP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It comes with a massive boost to national profile and gives valuable foreign policy experience, so it's a very coveted job for people running for President.

Yeah. Underwood was Majority Whip in the house, that's nowhere near as significant an office as SecState.

Current Majority Whip is Steve Scalise. Who the hell cares about him? Nobody.

Here's a list of House whips:

http://history.house.gov/People/Office/Republican-Whips/
http://history.house.gov/People/Office/Democratic-Whips/

Number of people on either list who were ever serious contenders for Presidential office? 0. Maybe Gingrich, he at least ran. But go through the list and take note of any names you actually recognize. Now do the same for this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Secretaries_of_State_of_the_United_States

Secretary of State is *enormously* more important and prestigious as an office than House Majority Whip is, it's not even close. Majority Whips don't win Nobel Peace prizes, they don't have a powerful and personal hand in shaping the foreign policy of the world's most powerful country, they don't publish books about their terms of office or collect huge speaking fees when they're done, the cultural awareness of them is effectively nil. SecState is in no way at all a step down from Majority Whip.

Wheat Loaf posted:

How high-profile is the Secretary of State, really?

Very. Kissinger, George Marshall, Henry Stimson, Cordell Hull, George Schultz, these are huge names in not just American but in world history. Nobody who doesn't work in D.C. gives a poo poo about the majority whip.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 00:59 on Dec 7, 2016