Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sounds fair enough. Can't wait to see her back!

Hope the best for her, though i'm mostly concerned that I could've gone to that event (Jeff Hardy, Rey Fénix y Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. Jeff Cobb, Nicho el Millionario y Teddy Hart as the main event sounds super good) and also that you mean Sexy Dulce.

Yes, I can't spell very well in Spanish :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Erebus posted:

Stoked for the debut of Sexy Dark

Unironically this. I'm not usually a fan of hardcore matches but I like her gimmick of "Dress like She-Ra, be a inspiration to young girls and wreck people with a trash can lid"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wish Bayley would wrestle more death matches.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like it.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
LU revealed the Luchaverse names of the STARDOM girls on social media-- Doku (Hojo), Yurei (Miyu), and Hitokiri (Shirai). Or, translated as "Poison," "Ghost," and "Assassin."

So look out for Striker dorking it up by talking about this, and possibly also Rurouni Kenshin references for Shirai.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What should I expect from these Stardom poison ghost assassins? I'm suuuuuper casual in wrestling (saw some AAA when i was super young like 20 years ago and WWE around 2006, specifically saw the times when Vince wrestled God, and Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit died, so Rey Mysterio being pushed as this massive superman is what gets me the best) so I love reading all the more in-depth stuff that gets posted here :)

Also, random thing from binging the whole show that got me: I was super uncomfortable with the Sexy Star and the Martinez's few, that sorta story I just don't like to see, like with Jessica Jones on netflix. I decided to look her up on wikipedia to see if they listed her beating Marty in, like, aztec warfare or something. There was a sentence on the feud followed by "became the first female Lucha Underground Champion, but lost her title the next week to Johnny Mundo" or something and welp. Kept wondering when that would happen and nicely enough it was when I finished catching up, so that's good? :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Japanese women's wrestling (aka joshi puroresu or just joshi) is hard as nails, innovative, and as technical and hard as any men's wrestling out there. And especially the three showing up in LU are highly regarded in Japan as great workers.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Io Shirai is a loving amazing wrestler, legit top 10 in the world overall

also stay away from absolutely anything LU related on wikipedia, spoilers are completely unavoidable there in the most absurd ways

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

harperdc posted:

Japanese women's wrestling (aka joshi puroresu or just joshi) is hard as nails, innovative, and as technical and hard as any men's wrestling out there. And especially the three showing up in LU are highly regarded in Japan as great workers.

God, I can't wait for them vs Pentagon Dark this week, then! and just in general more kick-rear end women in the roster.

ParanoidInc posted:

Io Shirai is a loving amazing wrestler, legit top 10 in the world overall

also stay away from absolutely anything LU related on wikipedia, spoilers are completely unavoidable there in the most absurd ways

Then I hope Io/Hitokiri/Assassin gets pushed the most!

Oh yeah, I learned pretty good after that goof-up, with how it's taped months ahead but some nerds go write up the spoilers for Wikipedia the minute they get out of the taping. I'm neeever going to wikipedia or places that discuss live events/spoilers.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Do the turbogoons who edit Wikipedia wrestling and take a hard-line stance about adding LU results before air date do the same with NXT or TNA or other taped shows? Because if not, that's a really loving weird hill to die on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the general Wikipedia policy, I believe, is to list events (title changes, etc) in all promotions by taping date rather than airing date, so, yes, they do it with TNA/NXT as well

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 30, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Do the turbogoons who edit Wikipedia wrestling and take a hard-line stance about adding LU results before air date do the same with NXT or TNA or other taped shows? Because if not, that's a really loving weird hill to die on.

It's especially weird with LU where stuff sometimes airs significantly out of order. I wonder what Wikipedia would show if a title change was taped out of order. Like if they had taped Mundo winning the title off of Sexy before Sexy actually won the title.

Or I could even see LU changing results after the fact. If someone won the title and then got seriously injured the next week, LU could just revert that poo poo without a second thought and never air the title change. There's one match coming up this year where they had to tape it twice because one of the participants had kind of a freak injury the first time and they just stopped the match in the middle and sent him to the hospital and then redid it later.

The live crowd is used to it -- for example Sexy Star was showing up still holding the Gift of the Gods belt near the end of the season to tape the stuff they later backfilled in. But this was after she had already lost the GotG, and won the main title, and lost the main title. Everyone just kind of shrugs and goes "either this is taping out of order or something happened backstage we don't know about." The live crowd having no idea what the gently caress is going on a lot of the time is part of the charm, at least to me. Some guy just comes staggering out to do his match already all bloody and you're like "welp, I guess some poo poo went down somewhere."

Sometimes if you are paying attention you can kind of figure out the timeline by what outfit Melissa Santos is wearing. I've seen her do like five costume changes during one day of taping.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alain Post posted:

the general Wikipedia policy, I believe, is to list events (title changes, etc) in all promotions by taping date rather than airing date, so, yes, they do it with TNA/NXT as well

Match date in general, not taping date is their standard. And yeah, they do it against TNA, NXT or WWE. (Less on the latter, since the title changes these days are almost always on live TV)

EC3 has a title reign of 3 days from earlier this year in 2016 from when he won the title to when he lost it, even though the loss aired 2 weeks after him winning it.

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's especially weird with LU where stuff sometimes airs significantly out of order. I wonder what Wikipedia would show if a title change was taped out of order. Like if they had taped Mundo winning the title off of Sexy before Sexy actually won the title.

Or I could even see LU changing results after the fact. If someone won the title and then got seriously injured the next week, LU could just revert that poo poo without a second thought and never air the title change. There's one match coming up this year where they had to tape it twice because one of the participants had kind of a freak injury the first time and they just stopped the match in the middle and sent him to the hospital and then redid it later.

probably throw some sort of footnote or something, tbh even if you were stupid enough to do something like to tape multiple title changes after what happened with Starrcade '93.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's kind of a weird case because even the big promotions had periods where their main TV was on significant tape delay, though this was generally considered to be a terrible idea when WCW did it with the Orlando shows. I can get why they'd want to keep it consistent, though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sometimes if you are paying attention you can kind of figure out the timeline by what outfit Melissa Santos is wearing. I've seen her do like five costume changes during one day of taping.

I wonder how much money Melissa spends on her wardrobe (or how much the wardrobe department spends). I can't remember seeing her in the same outfit twice.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

StarkRavingMad posted:

There are worse barometers, I suppose. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If you need to get even more hype for tomorrow's Pentagon Dark match, here's a short segment of some lovely sunday morning show in which he creates an army of Pentagon Jrs to take over a city

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Van Wagenen apparently said some interesting stuff on a recent podcast, including basically confirming what we guessed in here, that Sexy winning the title wasn't the original plan:

quote:

There was a fair bit of talk about the Sexy Star title win and loss. To his knowledge, Sexy was not the long term original plan, but something that came up “fairly close to the match.” Chris DeJoseph and Chris Roach dropped the idea on him, he asked “you know we’re going get poo poo on for doing this, right?”, they did, and they went with it. The general idea they don’t want to ever be playing it safe: “We’re not traditional, and we don’t want to be traditional.” Once they decided to do a title match, it was always meant to be a one episode thing, they didn’t have cold feet and change their minds or anything. Van Wagenen’s feeling is the fan reactions the last couple weeks was about what they expected, but more towards the positive side, and they figure/hope that if you don’t like that, there’s something else they’re doing that’d keep you watching.

That did leave me – and the hosts – with one big question: if Sexy Star was a late decision, who was supposed to be champion? Van Wagenen was evasive on that, only saying they had to change the first half of the season because of “injuries and other travel issues.” Angelico & Ivelisse are the most obvious injured people, and the hosts pressed about Ivelisse. Van Wagenen thinks the fans would’ve bought into it, and the Season 2 opener was testing the waters for it, but didn’t seem to think it was the plan.

(The travel issue might have been related to Taya based on a later discussion, or it might have been more people. Travel/immigration comes up again when talking about a discussion about who’s really dead, so maybe it was a Daga joke?)

On tapings for S4 apparently not happening until spring:

quote:

The big picture question is when Season 4 will be taped. That’s still up in the air. It won’t be January, and the closest to a date is Van Wagenen saying “Ideally, we’re taping in the spring”, to avoid taping in the hot summer. He was careful with his words, noting a lot of things are in the air. He made it clear he expects the show will return for season 4, but as of yet they don’t have a pick up or a set budget and don’t expect to have that by the end of this year. They can’t work on taping dates until that happens.

Worth noting that he didn't seem concerned about the budget, but just that getting a budget from El Rey lines up with the fiscal year, etc., and they have to rebuild the Temple set after that since it's all been taken down right now.

On tonight's episode:

quote:

He was very excited for this week’s episode, saying it’s a rare episode where he watched the live cut of the show the same night it happened because he just wanted to see it again. For him, it’s one of their “top two or three” episodes. They love the Stardom women. DeJoseph saw them at the first Stardom USA show and call Van Wagenen raving: “I just saw the three greatest female Japanese wrestlers, and one of them (Io) is the Japanese Fenix. You’ve got to check them out.” Van Wagenen went the next day to see the second show, was similarly impressed, and tried to sign them right away. I had thought they were only used for a limited time because the travel/cost, but Van Wagenen says he was told their schedule was already pretty much full. Shirai, Hojo, and Iwatani happened to be coming over [that] weekend for a convention, so they worked the scheduled around it.

Also he says that the row of girls who kept getting shown during the Sexy Star title win weren't plants, but they were actually the wife of a cameraman and her friends who were there for a bachelorette party and had VIP seats. And were "were moved to a camera friendly position as part of a normal policy of trying to make the crowd look as diverse as possible on TV." But the person who assigns the seats doesn't know what is going on in the storylines, so they weren't put there because of the Sexy Star win.

From http://www.thecubsfan.com/cmll/

He talks about a bunch of other stuff on the podcast itself like Fox v Killshot, how great Johnny Mundo is, getting punched by Mil Muertes at the live show, and all the White Rabbit vignettes if you bother to go listen to the podcast itself. He also talked about the recent live events. He said they were sort of impromptu things put together and fully-funded by Cricket Wireless, which explains why they were free and not very big and not promoted very far in advance. They weren't what he and other producers have been talking about when they have discussed taking the show on the road, those would be different things where they might sell tickets and they'd be at night and properly lit, etc. But he said Cricket was very happy with them and they worked as a good dry run for doing shows on the road.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 30, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

With the Ivelisse/Sexy Star situation, I keep comparing it in my head to how Chikara did their whole woman-as-top-champ thing, mainly because it was also a second choice situation.

Supposedly, the plan in 2012 was to have Sara Del Rey beat Eddie Kingston for the title. It would have been a pretty big deal and would have been the perfect destination for like three years of story for her. Then she got signed to WWE, so that didn't happen. Instead, Kingston held onto the belt for far too long and we finally got a female champ at the end of 2015 with Kimber Lee. It was the culmination of a year-long build and she had a respectable amount of defenses before dropping the title. Though they did fall into the "how progressive are we?!" trap like WWE afterwards.

Anyway, I can't help but think of how disastrous it would have been if Del Rey's leaving was followed immediately by Saturyne becoming the champ just for the woman champ novelty. Not just for how ill-deserved and blatant it would be, but for how cringingly bad it would have added to the "Quack's wife is divorcing him for banging Saturyne on the side" rumors that came months later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
LAST WEEK:
The White Rabbit Tribe debuted and Vampiro was all "YO I LOVE DRUGS"
Killshot and Dante Fox tried to legit kill each other
Johnny Mundo took Sexy Star's title reign to Slamtown

Ninjas!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

We haven't had a strong babyface champ since Puma way back in Season 1

Honestly he was a pretty weak babyface champ. He won it clean, defended it clean against Fenix, and then never won a clean defense again. Granted, much of the cheating on his behalf was Konnan-orchestrated cheating that Puma explicitly didn't want, or it was like Alberto interfering to put a stop to Johnny's legal-but-shady keep-away tactics at the end of All Night along, but it was still surprising to see Puma get a single "he was unequivocally the better man that night" defense for almost his entire reign

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Haven't seen Mortal Kombat in years. Holy poo poo this CGI is bad even by mid-90s standards.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Haven't seen Mortal Kombat in years. Holy poo poo this CGI is bad even by mid-90s standards.

I've never been able to tell if this is a good movie or a bad movie or an ironically good movie. My opinion on it always depends on how drunk I am or how far into the Paul London medicine I am

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I bought this band's t-shirt because they are awesome

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Don't know why I haven't noticed before but Vampiro's getting a serious case of Dusty Rhodes Forehead.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I'm so hyped for this

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Wait, is this match going the whole episode? Surprised it's going on first.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Benne posted:

Wait, is this match going the whole episode? Surprised it's going on first.

Well, he does have to fight all of them

Also, Pentagon is NOT pulling any punches on these women, in case you couldn't tell

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Kairi Hojo has maybe the greatest flying elbow in the world today

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jesus, this woman is taking insane bumps

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
RIP Hojo, see you in NXT hopefully.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

:swoon:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Benne posted:

Jesus, this woman is taking insane bumps

Seriously :stare:

I don't think she even jumped when Pentagon kicked her half the length of the ring

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

than god. thank god thank god.

finally el ray announced another godzilla marathon.

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand

That was f'in awesome!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mulaney Power Move posted:

This is the best news all week

eljackass
May 19, 2004

Caution is a word that I can't understand
GODZILLA IS COMING! RUN CHILDREN RUN

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I'm waiting on a Gamera marathon

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

You guys think Pentagon is scared to fight a lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jerusalem posted:

You guys think Pentagon is scared to fight a lady?

I think his miedo levels are relatively low

• Locked thread