Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Local TV deals affect the cap since it counts toward the revenue pie, but I don't believe it is shared at all between the teams.

Also, as I remember it, the league basically assigned an executive to the Sixers because their Process autists were so bad at dealing with other teams. That may have been a veiled excuse though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

ChickenMedium posted:

That Cavs score was really shocking. First I checked to see if LeBron played (he did), then I had to see if it was the second game of a back-to-back (it wasn't). Giannis is for real, yo.

LeBron was getting so frustrated at Giannis. It was awesome.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm surprised you guys listen to podcasts at 2x speed, between driving and exercise I often run out of stuff to listen to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chunkles posted:

I'm surprised you guys listen to podcasts at 2x speed, between driving and exercise I often run out of stuff to listen to.

Same

Duncd on really helps

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Paul Zuvella posted:

That team was built around ancient Jason Kidd, Old Jason Terry, Old Shawn Marion, Old Dirk, Caron Butler and Tyson Chandler.

That's not really a long term contender.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're a contender if you literally just won the championship. Give them another year wtf

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

An enlightening story:

And the rear end saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and the rear end turned aside out of the way, and went into the field: and Balaam smote the rear end, to turn her into the way. 24But the angel of the LORD stood in a path of the vineyards, a wall being on this side, and a wall on that side. 25And when the rear end saw the angel of the LORD, she thrust herself unto the wall, and crushed Balaam's foot against the wall: and he smote her again. 26And the angel of the LORD went further, and stood in a narrow place, where was no way to turn either to the right hand or to the left. 27And when the rear end saw the angel of the LORD, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the rear end with a staff. 28And the LORD opened the mouth of the rear end, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Miami totally poo poo the bed too.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What are the best NBA related twitter accounts to follow? (players or otherwise) I need some more NBA comedy in my twitter feed.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Spacebump posted:

What are the best NBA related twitter accounts to follow? (players or otherwise) I need some more NBA comedy in my twitter feed.

if you're not already following them

@World_Wide_Wob
@netw3rk

are usually pretty funny

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

They must mean with at least six games played or something.

EvanTH posted:

I listen to my audiobooks at like 1.2x-2x speed depending on the narrator and any faster than that is stupid and illegible and I doubt that anyone is absorbing concepts spat at Twista/auctioneer speeds. 3x is bizarre and makes me doubt the whole thing.

It depends on who's talking. Lots of politicians/orators have trained themselves to talk at very, very slow speeds with hilariously long pseudo-thoughtful pauses.

euphronius posted:

Anyway , inserting Jerry colangelo into a franchise is like inserting a xenomorph into a space ship. He ate everyone and left his spawn behind.

:lol:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spacebump posted:

Me and the SAS boys

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Let him ball 👏👏👏

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/804110903050387457

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Dallas will probably have a renaissance as soon as Dirk is gone. No offense to Dirk who is one of my all-time favorite players. It's just kind of the same thing as Kobe's twilight years. It's not going to be anyone else's team until Dirk retires, and no superstar is going to want to play in Dirk's legacy shadow.

The difference I see is that Dirk isn't going to shoot his way out of dozens of games in his twilight years like Kobe did.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I listen to podcasts at >2x and it's totally doable, but I listen to mainly news/sports stuff, and not audiobooks. Note that the gains beyond 2x speed come from shortening the silences between words, not speeding up the words themselves.

Then again, I also managed to watch 68 episodes of an hourlong drama in 6 nights thanks to a plugin letting me stream netflix at 2x speed so I'm a little nuts

68 actual hours or like 68 hours filled with 20 minutes of junk commercials?

euphronius posted:

Cavs be coasting .

Basically. They already have a decent cushion as the 1 seed. None of their players have run many miles either. Kyrie Irving is the team leader at 36 miles run (#66 in the league).

LBJs sitting in his recliner with 33 miles run!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

smacking my lips at another did the process work conversation

attackmole posted:

Hinkie tanked the teams reputation to probably the lowest that any NBA team has ever had. Does anything even come close? Early 2010's Bobcats? Pre-Blake Griffin Clippers? Stepian era Cavs? Tanking isn't new and every couple of years you see historically garbage teams appear, but the Sixers dedication to bottoming out was unprecedented. He did this mainly by two things: 1) racing to the bottom by trading away every decent player he had that wasn't on a rookie contract for future assets and 2) his belief of trying to find needles in the haystack of d-league players, second round picks, and cast offs over signing a couple of veterans. Individually neither of those techniques are unheard of, but the combination of both and his unbridled enthusiasm with them was unique to say the least. Hinkie violated the unspoken rule that even when you're tanking, you should be attempting to put on a watchable product. He pissed off a lot of people in the league as a result.

It appears they have a stranglehold on the #30 SRS again. The prospect of having a -9 or worse SRS for four straight years is quite an accomplishment considering the only other team to have 3+ seasons that bad in any year are the Clippers. A lot of franchises have never reached that low even one year.

The 1988-90 Clippers built up an accumulated SRS of -30.74 and the 2014-16 76ers reached -29.62 in the last three years.

This is the year the 76ers can unequivocally put up the worst four year stretch in NBA/ABA history if they put up another -9 season.

attackmole posted:

The Sixers made it through the dark ages and now 'feel' (whatever that means) like they're ordinary bad, not historically bad. They're a bad young team, but they have a million assets and a couple of players to get excited about.

No way to be certain but it seems like a mirage. The issue is that it's hard for even great players to pull a team out from that level

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zogo they should be better every week. Embiid is already up to 28 mins and Simmons may play the end of next month maybe .

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

Me and the SAS boys

Well duh, I'm already following a lot of those accounts.

Looks like my 2k15 Mavs dynasty is back on the table.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Doesn't this mean he loses a shitload of insurance money?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

chunkles posted:

I have like 30 gigs worth of podcasts that I'll just never manage to listen to.

But I stay single speed.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Basketball backwards would be a lot of people force grabbing balls and pulling them out of hoops.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=310700275

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Zogo posted:

68 actual hours or like 68 hours filled with 20 minutes of junk commercials?

68 episodes of 44 minutes each -> 50 actual hours of video in ~25 hours of elapsed time.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ketchup vs catsup posted:

68 episodes of 44 minutes each -> 50 actual hours of video in ~25 hours of elapsed time.

Did you go pee pee and poo poo while watching or did you pause

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/804128972053225473

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:getin:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

Did you go pee pee and poo poo while watching or did you pause

uhhh, that's what the 12 seconds between episodes is for, geez.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol imagining people getting pissed off in drama-drenched confrontations on netflix shows and then angrily storming off at 2x looking like babe ruth in that sped-up old footage

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

could they not afford james harden or does his trolli gummy contract have an exclusivity clause

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

chunkles posted:

could they not afford james harden or does his trolli gummy contract have an exclusivity clause

it's the giveaway at tonight's game

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/804129013321056257

https://twitter.com/MaxRappaport/status/804130272941838336

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Holy poo poo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2019 unprotected lol

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/sacramentokings/status/804131994686758912

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I hope "Isa Ish" Isaish Austin can make a team. He's 7 feet tall and only has one eye. What else is he going to do

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol imagining people getting pissed off in drama-drenched confrontations on netflix shows and then angrily storming off at 2x looking like babe ruth in that sped-up old footage

Hahaha that's excellent

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I hope "Isa Ish" Isaish Austin can make a team. He's 7 feet tall and only has one eye. What else is he going to do

Hahaha that's excellent

Does he play with a patch? Please say yes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fat kids depress me

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

Fat kids depress me

Be nice to Jared Sullinger

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Spacebump, this is the only twitter account you need to follow:

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/804132085787148288

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Marcus Morris has become such a good midrange scorer, he bails Detroit out on so many possessions

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Sharparoni posted:

Spacebump, this is the only twitter account you need to follow:

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/804132085787148288

Hahahahahhahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhhahahahahahahahahha!!!

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Dejan Bimble posted:

Marcus Morris has become such a good midrange scorer, he bails Detroit out on so many possessions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYoZrBC9WjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

attackmole posted:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/basketball/98the+film+toronto+raptors+subjected+grueling+video/12452575/story.html

I give Casey a lot of poo poo, but he's still a good defensive coach and the Raptors have been garbage at defense this year so I like the mental picture of him making the team sit around and watch their defensive lowlights.

I dislike casey but this owns

• Locked thread