Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
G403 feels okay so far, will definitely need to adjust. Doesn't feel quite like my G400/MX518 but I think I like it.

Edit: Actually, after a few hours, it's starting to hurt my hand. I'm basically looking for a G400 with a better sensor. Would the Zowie FK2 be the right choice here?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TheRationalRedditor posted:

In the process of testing out the G403. Got one without defects, but the default mousefeet are noticeably lackluster - they're not rounded or raised enough out of their groove, and you can actually feel resistance from this distressingly often. Also, the cable is loving atrocious.

Goo, who keeps forcing braided cables at Logitech HQ? They're awful. Please stop them anyway you can to live in beloved infamy

Probably just as well that they should become.... eh, shall we say "disposable"? Sooner or later, one is going to have to crack their mouse open, (any mouse, not just Logitech) if only to clean out the detritus and dust bunnies that accumulate in any mouse. Logitech sticking their screws behind the feet just makes the mouse unusable after taking it apart until you get some replacement feet in.

And I think they're incredibly loathe to use anything other than braided cables after the g400/g400s would devour their own cables.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

Goo, who keeps forcing braided cables at Logitech HQ?
People who study what customers want to buy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Goo, who keeps forcing braided cables at Logitech HQ? They're awful. Please stop them anyway you can to live in beloved infamy
Um actually braided cables are like one of the best features on gaming mice

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
If you think braided cables are awful, your opinion is awful. Good soft braided cables are infinitely better than stiff rubber.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Horizontal Tree posted:

If you think braided cables are awful, your opinion is awful. Good soft braided cables are infinitely better than stiff rubber.

logitech's cables are not soft

if you want a soft braided cable go for the ceesas paracord, poo poo will make your mouse feel wireless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP8mUAnLW7s

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
They're not the softest things ever, but they're far better than most of the other braided cables I've seen on similar products. My Naos cable is certainly better though.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mutant Standard posted:

logitech's cables are not soft

if you want a soft braided cable go for the ceesas paracord, poo poo will make your mouse feel wireless
Exactly. You can tell by the inflamed pro-braid responses that there are in fact people who think braiding is some magical property indicative of blast processing. In Logitech's case, it's literally a huge sheathe that increases the weight and drag of the cord on desk edges and cloth pads. Like it's actually believed that there's some lightweight magical cloth insulation around raw wire when in fact it's just a gigantic, stiff legwarmer for a perfectly fine standard rubber flexicord that is way less impeding of free movement and doesn't sometimes have issues fitting well into mouse bungees.

If "braided" meant anything in league with ceesas' awesome modded paracords, it would indeed be an objectively desirable. Those things are superb, it's like being powered by overcooked spaghetti that never pushes/pulls on the mouse due to bunching. Outside of that, I'll take a Zowie cable anytime.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably just as well that they should become.... eh, shall we say "disposable"? Sooner or later, one is going to have to crack their mouse open, (any mouse, not just Logitech) if only to clean out the detritus and dust bunnies that accumulate in any mouse. Logitech sticking their screws behind the feet just makes the mouse unusable after taking it apart until you get some replacement feet in.

And I think they're incredibly loathe to use anything other than braided cables after the g400/g400s would devour their own cables.
I've never opened a performance mouse to clean it, only when a switch breaks down or to swap a cable. In modern times a lot of people actually just put their hyperglides right over stock feet since LOD tends to be adjustable or not a factor on really good sensors these days.

I never owned any of the 400 series, did they have a particular issue with weak cords fraying? I've never had a rubber cable collapse or crap out on me and that's always been under heavy FPS use.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 28, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i've got a razer deathadder that i boguht years ago because it was on sale and it works fine but i'm thinking of buying a logitech mouse since they're on offer but i'm not sure if there is any point. i'm not going to be able to try one before buying unfortunately but can get the g900 for £80 instead of £135.

is there much of a difference to make it worth getting one? Being wireless would be nice because there are enough wires as it is behind my pc

Jose fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 28, 2016

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Horizontal Tree posted:

This is what my G303 cable looks like and I have not even had it a year

This is in comparison to my ZA13. Light rubber cables make more sense in the long run, braided adds unnecessary weight and cable drag.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Megalixir posted:

This is what my G303 cable looks like and I have not even had it a year

This is in comparison to my ZA13. Light rubber cables make more sense in the long run, braided adds unnecessary weight and cable drag.

Having used logitech and razer for about 10 years cumulatively I've never seen the braided cable go out before the microswitches

Steelseries rival with the rubber cable was neutral becasue of how heavy it was or how much friction the feet created

Otoh I'm using an ec-1a and when I lift my right hand to type about 50% of the time a kink in the cable (and it still has that Z shape from how the cable was folded and twist-tied in the box) exerts a force on the mouse and I see the cursor slowly slide across the screen.. its distracting as gently caress

In conclusion, gently caress rubber cables

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I never owned any of the 400 series, did they have a particular issue with weak cords fraying? I've never had a rubber cable collapse or crap out on me and that's always been under heavy FPS use.

Whatever wire they used in them were very inflexible, and very, very thin. Even worse than their generic consumer-grade mice and OEM products. Combined with a lack of strain relief, the mice would kill themselves like a normal Logitech mouse by breaking a wire just above the connector, but a whole lot sooner than its predecessors.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Having used logitech and razer for about 10 years cumulatively I've never seen the braided cable go out before the microswitches

Steelseries rival with the rubber cable was neutral becasue of how heavy it was or how much friction the feet created

Otoh I'm using an ec-1a and when I lift my right hand to type about 50% of the time a kink in the cable (and it still has that Z shape from how the cable was folded and twist-tied in the box) exerts a force on the mouse and I see the cursor slowly slide across the screen.. its distracting as gently caress

In conclusion, gently caress rubber cables

uh, how does this make any sense? this is like saying pbt keycaps are worse than abs because they're heavier. just buy a mouse bungee.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Strip your offending cable and put flexcord around it instead. :eng101:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i ordered the g900 because gently caress it amazon will take it back if i don't like it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I genuinely wish I had kept an old g400/g400s cable around to show, Logitech were using, legitimately something like 26-28 gauge wire for them, and the sheathing wasn't much thicker.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
:siren:

The G900 and G402 are 41% and 60% off on Amazon.co.uk.

I picked up the G402 just to have it around to compare with. Might as well for £20.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
G Pro feels loving great to my tiny elf baby hands. However I noticed a small line through one of the mouse feet, and the right click is VERY light and easily pressed, while the left click feels normal. Wondering if I should return this or if it's a common problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

G Pro feels loving great to my tiny elf baby hands. However I noticed a small line through one of the mouse feet, and the right click is VERY light and easily pressed, while the left click feels normal. Wondering if I should return this or if it's a common problem.

I'm reading about the excessively light RMB presses on the G Pro really often, enough that I haven't picked one up to try it out. And the feet being lackluster in various inconsistent ways also jibes with the general vocal gripes you can read about it.

Weirdly enough even with this new generation I'll probably be sticking with the G303 that's grown on me a lot, which I didn't expect. It's just flawless for what it is if you can handle the shape and absurdly light. I'd be willing to try the wireless G403 but it did not go ona ludicrous $40 sale here ($139 dollars lol)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I have the G403 also and while it's no G400/MX518, it's close enough. My hand is still adjusting to the grip I have to use but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

GPro is just effortless to handle in comparison. Hopefully my replacement will be better quality. It's weird holding such a light and small mouse but it's so comfortable.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Even though I don't really like the clicks or shape much, I wish everyone followed DreamMachines and used these kinds of feet:

Easily the smoothest I've ever found on a stock mouse.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I hosed up royally. I cancelled a g303 order at black Friday price I had because I landed a g900 for 75 bucks and best buy cancelled it because they ran out of stock, so note I have neither.

:negative:

Unfortunately I can't have a 303 shipped over since I'm flying out tomorrow; my current options are a Razer Deathadder Chroma and a Zowie EC2-A. Should I go for one of those, or wait and hope the 303 makes it to my country?

Cheers.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

well why not posted:

I just got an MX Master for £40, down from like £70. I'm upgrading from the Performance and I gotta say, the Master is nicer, and better overall but still not perfect. The wheel is kinda worse (I don't like how it slightly wobbles horizontally. It wobbled a little on the Performance but it was less noticeable because that mouse is a bit heavier.

The back/forward buttons are also tiny, which I don't love.

It's really great, it's just not quite as amazing as I'd hoped for the supposedly top-of-the-line model.

I just disabled smart shift because it's dumb and am now pleased to report that the scrollwheel is super noisy and sounds like it's protesting when you scroll. Very satisfying.

I just picked one up as well, coming from the Performance MX, and it's honestly pretty lackluster. It has much more of a sharp arch and doesn't fit down into my palm as well. The side buttons are so far back from where my thumb sits that it's a stretch to hit them. And the horizontal scroller is cool but I'm never gonna use it for anything that can't be accomplished by the middle-click scroller.

The ridges on the sides are shallower which makes it hard to pick up and shift around. The scroll wheel shift is pretty cool the first couple times but the novelty wears off pretty quickly in favor of a consistent scroll. Might end up returning it and just buying a new Performance MX since mine is starting to show its age.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I ended up swapping my G Pro for a 502 Proteus and I'm really happy. This is a little more narrow than a G400 but otherwise it fits perfectly. Putting my 403 up in SA Mart for $55.

Edit: what's a good DPI to use? I just leave it on 800 and it feels fine. Does it make it more or less accurate by changing that stuff?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 1, 2016

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Good DPI is any DPI you like. Raising it really high can lower the max acceleration your mouse can track. It raises the precision with which cursor motion follows mouse motion but actually makes it harder to do pixel-perfect precise tasks. If you like 800 DPI stick with that. Using non-native DPI can lead to stuttering cursor issues.

I only change DPI when I play a PC port of a console game with braindead or no mouse sensitivity settings.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
How in the hell do people keep buying Logitech garbage? If any of their crap lasts more than 2 years it would surprise me.

My mouse of choice the MS comfort mouse 6000 and is of course the best thing ever. Light as a feather. Tracks on any surface. Accurate as hell. Whats not to love?

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Co...fort+mouse+6000

redeyes fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 1, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

And why don't people still just drive Geo Metros and Plymouth K-cars?? They were enough car for anyone, and so reliable! It was right in their name!

- 1000 DPI cap
- 125Hz polling rate max (yes seriously)
- Severe middle mouse button delay
- Hardwired with Angle Snapping
- Sensor was rated for 72 IPS, but people found it to crap out at 40 IPS meaning it's incredibly easy to make spin out with flicks and rapid lift/drop by post-2010 standards
- One man's comfort can be another man's painful brick, this is not a universal property

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 1, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sweet I love a mouse with less hertz than my monitor.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anyone have experience with the Zowie EC2-A? I was told that if I like the feel of the G400/MX518 then I should give that a shot. This G502 is great but very, very heavy.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The EC2-A is almost exactly the shape Logitech used for the G403 you're attempting to sell.

You seem to be swapping through mice as soon as you post about them, if you had asked I would've told you that the G502 is really nice but is so much heavier than the newer models you've been trying.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yeah, I should have posted here in a little more detail as to what I'm looking for. I like the shape of the 502, just not the weight. Anything out there that fits the bill? The G Pro was okay, if a little small, but seems to suffer from some serious QC issues.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

You could try the 402 which is lighter and different but kind of in the same ballpark. It doesn't have the 3366 sensor, however.

You were concerned with the G Pro quality despite the fact you said you liked it, but what was your issue with the G403? I'm hemming or hawing about taking mine back because my grip-modded G303 still feels the most comfortable of all. I'd keep for sure it if Canadian prices weren't gouged garbage.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
The G403 physically hurt my hands to use and is more of a palm grip mouse. I have a little spare money and definitely don't mind testing a bunch out. The G Pro was very comfortable and has a great sensor. I just didn't want to keep on having to swap it out because of bad clicks/scroll wheels, etc. I should just go buy a 400s and call it a day, sensor be damned.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The G403 physically hurt my hands to use and is more of a palm grip mouse. I have a little spare money and definitely don't mind testing a bunch out. The G Pro was very comfortable and has a great sensor. I just didn't want to keep on having to swap it out because of bad clicks/scroll wheels, etc. I should just go buy a 400s and call it a day, sensor be damned.

What's your hand size? Here's some to check out and I can link video reviews so you can see them in action.

Zowie FK 2
Roccat Kone Pure Military
Zowie EC2-A
Razor Abyssus v2
Rapoo V30000

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Anyone have experience with the Zowie EC2-A? I was told that if I like the feel of the G400/MX518 then I should give that a shot. This G502 is great but very, very heavy.

What would you say if I told you that you can cut out a lot of weight from the G502? It's normally 121 grams. You can cut off the metal ring on the scroll wheel and replace it with some rubber puddy (whatever it's called, surju?) and that knocks off about 10 grams. Keeping the weight cover off reduces it by 6.

And if you're willing to cut off some plastic. There's other ways to reduce weight. Enough to get down to 84 grams.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

If you liked the G Pro but returned for questionable buttons, try out a G303 with no rattle (more recent S/N lots). A lot of people hate the shape, but if you add grip to the sides it becomes a top tier fingertip mouse.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I really enjoy the Zowie FK, and as I've mentioned before, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Kone Pure Optical.

(The scroll wheel on the Kone is amazing in and of itself)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

redeyes posted:

How in the hell do people keep buying Logitech garbage? If any of their crap lasts more than 2 years it would surprise me.

They have the only wireless mouse that could run for months on AA batteries.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

redeyes posted:

My mouse of choice the MS comfort mouse 6000 and is of course the best thing ever. Light as a feather. Tracks on any surface. Accurate as hell. Whats not to love?

https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Co...fort+mouse+6000

Because the only other options are Razer (QC issues over 5+ years, nobody over the age of 20 should be buying these), Roccat (heavy, expensive) Zowie (difficult to find, pre-BenQ were better, deprecated sensor line, almost never any way to test 8+ sizes, almost never on sale), Steelseries (deprecated sensors, proprietary switches, pretty much their entire product line sans the 300 and 700 are obsolete), Dream Machines (mushy clicks, misaligned sensor, TERRIBLE cable, availability issues, misaligned sensor), Nixeus (mushy clicks, sensor is positioned lower than it should be), Mionix (Sweden-based so availability issues, expensive, not suited for FPS, and while I have no experience with them if their mice are anything like their Mionix Alioth I won't be bothering), Finalmouse (QC issues, they discontinued their prior mice for the Scream One which has a) can't press side buttons while pressing m1/2 and b) has terrible support), Rapoo (huge lift off distance, deprecated sensors) and Fnatic (even the Fnatic team does not use their gear. deprecated sensors, weird shapes).

That's why people keep buying Logitech. Best sensors on the market, tons of variety, easily available, no esports nonsense plastered all over them, all lighting can be turned off, discounted often, good value for money, willing to improve current product lines, excellent scroll wheels and clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said.

Anyone with a G403 wireless able to tell me if you can use it while plugged in and no batteries in the body?