Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Paladinus posted:

That is legitimately fun. Are mod challenges still a thing at all? I've seen some in E/N, I guess, where users had to prove they actually listened to good advice, but nothing actually funny.
Rarely. People forget the number of mod challenges that went badly. Also, the purpose of a mod challenge was always to give a bad poster a chance to redeem themselves in some funny way, and these days, most of the really bad posters are re-reg idiots obsessed with negative attention. Mod challenges were generally on people who didn't lurk before posting and showed up and did something clueless and stupid. We just don't have those kinds of new registration numbers anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rarely. People forget the number of mod challenges that went badly. Also, the purpose of a mod challenge was always to give a bad poster a chance to redeem themselves in some funny way, and these days, most of the really bad posters are re-reg idiots obsessed with negative attention. Mod challenges were generally on people who didn't lurk before posting and showed up and did something clueless and stupid. We just don't have those kinds of new registration numbers anymore.

You say that, yet there is a mod challenge going on right now in the Star Citizen thread? What did you try to hide, 'FactsAreUseless'? If that's even your real name!

But seriously, here's a link if anyone's interested:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=6575&perpage=40#post466836761

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Paladinus posted:

That is legitimately fun. Are mod challenges still a thing at all? I've seen some in E/N, I guess, where users had to prove they actually listened to good advice, but nothing actually funny.

they still pop up. there's an ongoing one in the Star Citizen forum. the reason for that mod challenge seems dumb to me, but i admittedly might not grasp the full picture because the thread with the challenge is +6000 pages long.

iirc, one of the mod challenges that soured the concept ages ago was an inappropriate request for a goonette to pose in some way. nothing else was on the level of that, though, i think.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

theres a will theres moe posted:

I was a member for years before I would post anywhere other than BYOB because it was pretty much impossible to get probated or banned there. I remember once early-on I tried venturing into GWS and got made fun of for like half a page in the general questions thread for not knowing that you shouldn't keep garlic in the fridge.

I think the whole forum was just stricter, meaner, and more elitist, and the culture has changed since then.

I believe that, in GBS especially, the feeling that every post was an opportunity to lose your account helped drive quality posting. Posters really did think about what they were bringing, and if you were going to risk toeing the rules line in order to make a joke, you had to consider whether that joke was worthy of the risk.

I think that's why I loved old strict mean GBS. Or maybe not that much has changed, and the change has come from my own slow shift in perspective.

Honestly, I really enjoyed this aspect of SA. At a time when forums everywhere were complete poo poo and often nigh-unreadable, it really made SA stand out and improved thread quality. I guess the internet has matured overall so even looser writing styles are still within the realm of readability nowadays but it was a big difference back then

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Grandmother of Five posted:

they still pop up. there's an ongoing one in the Star Citizen forum. the reason for that mod challenge seems dumb to me, but i admittedly might not grasp the full picture because the thread with the challenge is +6000 pages long.

iirc, one of the mod challenges that soured the concept ages ago was an inappropriate request for a goonette to pose in some way. nothing else was on the level of that, though, i think.

yeah that one's already been covered in the thread before, it was axemaniac who basically issued a "tits or ban" mod challenge, and stuck to it even when he found the challenge recipient was underage

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

I Said No posted:

yeah that one's already been covered in the thread before, it was axemaniac who basically issued a "tits or ban" mod challenge, and stuck to it even when he found the challenge recipient was underage

wow. that's worse than i half-remembered. did something come of it? i mean, i'd be surprised if trying to get someone under-age to do that wouldn't qualify as intent for attempting an actual crime.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Nah it's a pretty dumb challenge and the mod probably should have waited until he'd been mod for more than a week before issuing a challenge

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Its insane to me that Derek Smart P.Hd is now apparently (or was) a mod, its like the universe is going full circle from way back when he wanted to sue SA for anything and everything.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Biplane posted:

Its insane to me that Derek Smart P.Hd is now apparently (or was) a mod, its like the universe is going full circle from way back when he wanted to sue SA for anything and everything.

Now that he's been demodded and banned I guess there's a possibility that could come around full circle again!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Now that he's been demodded and banned I guess there's a possibility that could come around full circle again!

My god

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

wow. that's worse than i half-remembered. did something come of it? i mean, i'd be surprised if trying to get someone under-age to do that wouldn't qualify as intent for attempting an actual crime.

It seems like more of an Aatrek thing.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I don't think Aatrek ever issued any challenges, he was mostly just turbo ban-happy on anyone who didn't like what he liked or vice versa.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I Said No posted:

I thought this was Abe.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

I thought this was Abe.
Nope, this was in Games. Abe never had any challenges go massively wrong, but some people got mad about his fruit hat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Duke Nukem Forever was pretty funny because autists were like, DONT BET AGAINST DUKE and it loving sucked.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nope, this was in Games. Abe never had any challenges go massively wrong, but some people got mad about his fruit hat.

Yeah, Abe had the best mod challenges really to my recollection. Too bad he had to have his own meltdown, I liked him as a mod. :unsmith:

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

I Said No posted:

I don't think Aatrek ever issued any challenges,

I can think of one case.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

bunky posted:

I can think of one case.

Not telling your parents things isn't much of a challenge, I do it all the time.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

bunky posted:

I can think of one case.

No no, it was issued TO him. You're thinking of a subpoena.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Glenn Quebec posted:

Duke Nukem Forever was pretty funny because autists were like, DONT BET AGAINST DUKE and it loving sucked.

At least we got these bitchin' gang tags.

The whole thing was pretty funny. Axemaniac made it a "bannable" offense to joke about Duke Nukem's vaporware status by posting poo poo like "more like Duke Nukem taking forever", and in his defence, the jokes were getting old. I think the "forever banned" users just got a custom title, not a real ban. When it started to dawn on people the game was actually happening there was a divide between the posters who realized it would be poo poo and the ones who believed there was a possibility it might not be. Axemaniac even dished out "Duke's Bros" tags for the believers. Then, when the game turned out to be a pile of poo poo that defied every known scale of shittyness the tags were changed to read "Serious Sam's Club".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Also the DNF thread was so awful that it was wiped clean from the forums, it doesn't exist in the archives. Which is too bad actually.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Palpek posted:

Also the DNF thread was so awful that it was wiped clean from the forums, it doesn't exist in the archives. Which is too bad actually.

I know! Which now makes me want to see it even more.

Although I guess it's fitting that a game would cause enough hurt feelings to result in the thread getting deleted and not other poo poo I've seen in S.A.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

isn't that the one where axemaniac repeatedly harass microwave about his hot mom because microwave said critical things about the video game

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Didn't Abe get owned by a kid he tried to dogpile on twitter.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Yes

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Samovar posted:

I know! Which now makes me want to see it even more.

Although I guess it's fitting that a game would cause enough hurt feelings to result in the thread getting deleted and not other poo poo I've seen in S.A.
It's possible to find parts of it with Wayback machine and good god is it something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Palpek posted:

It's possible to find parts of it with Wayback machine and good god is it something.

I remember the thread. It was the purest form of goon. Well, thats not true. Gleep Gloop was. Or Aatrek. Or the goon who buckshot his neighbors with HEVI-LOAD ammo, courtesy of TFR.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh THAT Abe. What an rear end

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Or the goon who buckshot his neighbors with HEVI-LOAD ammo, courtesy of TFR.

Wait, what?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Oh THAT Abe. What an rear end

Yeah, ha. Abe's legacy will be that he got trounced by a kid. Ralp at least found enough in his pants to kill Hellthread before disappearing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Saddest Rhino posted:

isn't that the one where axemaniac repeatedly harass microwave about his hot mom because microwave said critical things about the video game

Can't blame a man for trying to find out more about microwave's mom

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Puckins aren't going to protect themselves.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/nov/06/local/me-cyberlife6/2

http://murderpedia.org/male.F/f/freund-william.htm

https://www.somethingawful.com/great-goon-database/great-goon-best/4/

Also, Bomber166

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Dec 1, 2016

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i remember at least one thread where a mod repeatedly quoted microwave and the only thing they'd put after the quoted post was that picture. or they would say like "hmm, interesting point. on the other hand, [picture of your mom]". i don't remember the thread specifically where it happened. that whole thing became less funny to me as time went on, and it seemed like goons stalked him just to spam that drat picture anywhere he tried to post. like, i think one time someone made a photoshop of duke nukem standing behind his mom, with duke's arms coming around to grab her chest :v:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That wasn't a photoshop, it was hand-drawn by Axemaniac.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

He also drew his own fetish art involving his own avatar

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

...it could be argued that Goon Love Is The Best Love went horribly wrong on so many levels

but it brought Two Worlds' saga to kind of a hilarious end so it's worth it.

Atomiq
Apr 6, 2003

Ágætis Byrjun

Quidam Viator posted:

SA was a total loving sausagefest until we literally invaded SAAN, a girls' forum, and that was like some loving low-budget Rape of the Sabine women. All of a sudden, there were GIRLS on SA. And there was Artfag and Some Girl, and all these other girls that SA goons were slavishly slobbering over.

Artfag predates SAAN invasion.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember there was an okcupid thread that was 99% people reviewing each others profiles and giving advice on improving them, but something so awful apparently happened that it was removed without trace and nobody ever talked about it.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

EL BROMANCE posted:

I remember there was an okcupid thread that was 99% people reviewing each others profiles and giving advice on improving them, but something so awful apparently happened that it was removed without trace and nobody ever talked about it.

That was the online dating thread version 5, deleted in 2012. They did talk about it, mods would never say what happened (which is fine, some poo poo we don't need or want to know), and online dating threads were banned & gassed immediately for years until new e/n mods happened. I missed that thread when it was deleted but there were creeps all over.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440842&userid=45450

Scudworth has a new favorite as of 03:43 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Scudworth posted:

That was the online dating thread version 5, deleted in 2012. They did talk about it, mods would never say what happened (which is fine, some poo poo we don't need or want to know), and online dating threads were banned & gassed immediately for years until new e/n mods happened. I missed that thread when it was deleted but there were creeps all over.

edit: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440842&userid=45450

The rumor is that a rape happened, but without the thread who knows for sure