Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Aphrodite posted:

You said that mutants don't have a reason to really seek each other out like LGBTQ people do. Well let's put on our LGBTQ hats and give them one.
On one hand, sure? But what does that really accomplish from a storytelling or metaphorical perspective?

Hypothetically any human being can have sex with any other human being, laws and morality aside before someone jumps in about consent or incest or whatever else. People obviously have preferences, and it's a vast array of overlapping ones. Saying "mutants die if they gently caress anyone who's not a mutant" and yeah, you certainly give horny mutants a reason to congregate. But... okay, then what?

It's been established for 50+ years that mutants can have sexual relations (and marriages and offspring) with other mutants, with humans, with Inhumans, with human clones of mutants, with alien races, with magical beings, demigods, Eternals, demons, etc. "Canon" aside, if the entire goal of this is to make "mutants" a better stand-in for "real world affinity groups" what possible parallel does this have? When you write a story about star-crossed lovers (like the one apparently being set-up between Mutant Bobby Drake and Inhuman Kid in All-New X-Men) there are a hundred different personal experiences you can draw on, from Romeo & Juliet onwards. None of them, to my knowledge involve "look society is pretty okay with the two of you being a couple, but know that if you ever touch each other's dicks, YOU WILL IMMEDIATELY DIE". What's the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hey man this was your idea, no back-pedaling now.

(I was suggesting a mock terrible idea akin to "Put on my racism hat".)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This conversation, much like the x-men, is terrible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

This conversation, much like the x-men, is terrible.

Much
you
are
posts!!!!!!!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Aphrodite posted:

Hey man this was your idea, no back-pedaling now.

(I was suggesting a mock terrible idea akin to "Put on my racism hat".)
Fair enough, my idea was less "how do we make mutants more like a real-life group" and more that you shouldn't focus on big societal sweeping stories of tolerance and existential threats or whatever the hell they've been doing ever since House of M and try telling different stories which who knows, maybe they will? But yeah, there is no good solution.

EXCEPT NEVER POSTING ABOUT THE lovely OL' X-MEN OR POSTING DUMB poo poo ON THIS CRAPASS loving FORUM AM I RIGHT GUYS, HEH. gently caress COMICS, gently caress TALKING. HEH.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Endless Mike posted:

Much
you
are
posts!!!!!!!

:saddowns:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Fair enough, my idea was less "how do we make mutants more like a real-life group" and more that you shouldn't focus on big societal sweeping stories of tolerance and existential threats or whatever the hell they've been doing ever since House of M and try telling different stories which who knows, maybe they will? But yeah, there is no good solution.

EXCEPT NEVER POSTING ABOUT THE lovely OL' X-MEN OR POSTING DUMB poo poo ON THIS CRAPASS loving FORUM AM I RIGHT GUYS, HEH. gently caress COMICS, gently caress TALKING. HEH.

Yeah and you're right, but they'll never do that because... they hate us?

I've run out of ideas why. That seems most likely.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edge & Christian posted:

I've written about this at length but the X-Men (and to a large degree the Inhumans) work just fine on a ground level as an allegory for discrimination or prejudice or othering or whatever you want. People not wanting a mutant kid in their child's class, treating co-workers differently upon discovering they're Inhuman, coming out to your parents or peers as ________, all of those work just fine.

When they start doing big societal sweeping stories about MUTANTS AS A PEOPLE or MUTANTS AS A CULTURE or whatever is where it largely falls apart. Inhumans I guess at least have a bloodline, but mutants are just random instances within the whole of humanity. They don't really have a shared history (beyond dressing up and fighting each other), there's not much of a shared experience or need for community the way there would be with people who are LGBTQ or with a real-world unusual genetic trait. LGBTQ people need to find other people like them to find romantic love which is a vital part of humanity. People who are blind/deaf/exceptionally tall/who have very curly hair at least can bond over how they deal with being different than people who can see or hear or are of average height or have straight hair.

Other than like being ready to fight people, if there was a guy with wings in the real world and also a guy who can make things explode with their mind, what's their common culture or experience? If a lady can turn herself into water and she meets someone who can make golden balls, why should they go "oh sweet, we are of one people! And I definitely want more people who can do random things that are weird, we definitely need to make sure this propagates! Even if it puts the entire planet at risk, imagine the tragedy of some poor kid growing up and never having the chance to set people's blood on fire!"

Which considering half of the past decade+ worth of stories about both seem to be about how WE MUST PERPETUATE OUR RACE is kind of dicey.

I think Mutants as People would be a natural response over time to the sorts of restrictive laws the government placed on mutants. Like Bishop or even Rachel's timeline feature worlds with a lot more mutants, that have gone through a lot more poo poo and been forced to interact on the level from which a culture would develop.

The status quo for mutants though is generally one which the only groups are the super heroes and villains and everyone else is living far apart and are very different and have no reason to interact. This makes the analogy of higher level prejudice fail (although as you point out, the books have generally been good at portraying the every day prejudice mutants face) as there isn't a

Morrison established a mutant status quo where Mutants as People was a lot more believable, but they backed so far off of that, that I think we're back to the point where there isn't a mutant culture which is why these analogies feel so empty.

I still think there are a lot of good stories out there detailing how mutants face every day prejudice, but yeah, unless they change the status quo them as a people just isn't really working.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endless Mike posted:

Maaaaan how you gonna have Bling! and not Rockslide???

Anyway, def gonna check it out.

tbf the book is specifically about the group of mutants who either can't work as diplomats or have personality or power flaws that keep them from being effective superheroes and Rockslide got over the latter problem in Spider-Man & The X-Men

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

tbf the book is specifically about the group of mutants who either can't work as diplomats or have personality or power flaws that keep them from being effective superheroes and Rockslide got over the latter problem in Spider-Man & The X-Men

don't put rockslide on any of those teams

instead, bring back spider-man and the x-men imo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

That's actually a cool premise. I don't recognize many of the characters in this, or care about the ones I do recognize, but that seems like a neat idea for a book. Kind of an outcasts among outcasts thing. I might check it out later on MU if I hear good things. Again, never heard of the writer though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm not really feeling Generation X. The fact that Chamber will be in it is all I really care about. I mean, there are tons of great mutants not being used, but we're getting the spotlight on loving Eye-Boy and once again Quentin Quire who is played out and dull now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She's been a colorist for Marvel for a long time (a good one at that!) but I think this might be her first major writing gig. She apparently has a webcomic that's on indefinite hiatus, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

howe_sam posted:

The timing on Ms. Marvel 13's release is pretty unfortunate. I would've enjoyed it a hell of a lot more before the election.

This is exactly how i felt lol

So new avengers got an alright send off. It was appropriately hokey

Ghost rider maaaay be cool? I liked the backup story but the the main one mashing in hulk and Laura right off the bat has me a little cautious

Gla was good and funny and even though there's a lot of the same expression on people faces throughout the book for some reason i just really dig the art

Speaking of art, sorrentino didnt do oml which was a bummer and i see that rocafort got moved from ultimates to ivx, a crime for which i will never forgive marvel

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I'd be okay with them going back to Jim Lee X-Men. I liked those teams/stories.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Manatee Cannon posted:

:agreed:

site posted:

This is exactly how i felt lol

So new avengers got an alright send off. It was appropriately hokey

Ghost rider maaaay be cool? I liked the backup story but the the main one mashing in hulk and Laura right off the bat has me a little cautious

Gla was good and funny and even though there's a lot of the same expression on people faces throughout the book for some reason i just really dig the art

Speaking of art, sorrentino didnt do oml which was a bummer and i see that rocafort got moved from ultimates to ivx, a crime for which i will never forgive marvel

Well, in 616 Loki was acting as a spoiler, so theoretically Hillary could be president there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Manatee Cannon posted:

I want a Rockslide and Anole book, they are such good bros.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kalan is too busy being head writer of the New MST3K

I am fine with AvsI, as it was what a 0 issue should be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

:agreed:

Well, in 616 Loki was acting as a spoiler, so theoretically Hillary could be president there.

Oh don't get me wrong I thought the story was decent enough, it just was in a book that came out a month too late to be relevant

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

She's been a colorist for Marvel for a long time (a good one at that!) but I think this might be her first major writing gig. She apparently has a webcomic that's on indefinite hiatus, though.

To go by her Twitter, the reason it's on hiatus is because she's involved with "The Magicians" on Syfy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

God drat I am totally on board with New/USAvengers right now. Just let Ewing right crazy superspy stuff forever.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah Ms. Marvel was...depressing. And it's not exactly the sort of issue that would've been all that suitable on November 7th, either; voter registration deadline was nearly a month before that, so all that edumacation comes across particularly :raise: nearly two months after it would've made any difference.

I had no idea Amadeus and Laura were gonna pop up in Ghost Rider, so I was actually a pretty tickled to see them. I actually really hope Robbie will end up in Champions at some point...hey, they need a Ghost Rider, right?

The lil' backup story was definitely the highlight, though. Dat Tradd Moore art mmmmmmm

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BrianWilly posted:

I had no idea Amadeus and Laura were gonna pop up in Ghost Rider, so I was actually a pretty tickled to see them. I actually really hope Robbie will end up in Champions at some point...hey, they need a Ghost Rider, right?

I'm p. sure they're going for Yet Another New Fantastic Four Riff and the goop-y thing is going to be the Venom analogue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Ghost Rider series good for someone that has never read Ghost Rider before?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah actually i think i asked this once and then didn't write it down and forgot but which/whose run introduced Robby and isn't there a series with him that's really good (if it's not the same)?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Roth posted:

New Ghost Rider series good for someone that has never read Ghost Rider before?
Sure, it's fairly self-explanatory so far. Teen dude lives with his little brother in LA, turns into Ghost Rider. The only significant thing to note is that the spirit in him isn't a bona fide capital S.O.V. Spirit Of Vengeance like the former Ghost Riders, but the ghost of a devil-worshiping serial killer. Hijinks ensue. Also murder, probably.

I might suggest just perusing the last run for kicks, though. All-New Ghost Rider from 2014; it's only twelve issues long.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm....not sure I want to read Ms. Marvel this month.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the art is good but it is weirdly out of place. it's not bad or anything, it just feels like some kind of weird edutainment instruction on why you should vote

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm p. sure they're going for Yet Another New Fantastic Four Riff and the goop-y thing is going to be the Venom analogue.

Silk's filling in the Spider-Man role according to February's cover

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

the art is good but it is weirdly out of place. it's not bad or anything, it just feels like some kind of weird edutainment instruction on why you should vote

It feels like something that would work so much better if they didn't play it so painfully straight. Especially after how long the recent election period dragged on. Also the issue has no sense of tact or subtly in telling the kids that if enough of you go out and vote, we could have even given Jill Stein the office. It bashes that message into your skull from start to finish along with government corruption.
Still the art is nice so it has that going for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man none of these events look good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Circle of 4 had some of those characters as well so they could take it in that direction.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Man none of these events look good.

Marvel hasn't done an event that looked good since maybe Siege

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Marvel hasn't done an event that looked good since maybe Siege

Secret Wars had far more good than bad.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Secret Wars had far more good than bad.

True, but it still dragged on a bit too long.

Speaking of events people give zero fucks about, is Civil War 2 still going on?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

one issue to go on civil war 2

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i don't know why they thought there was enough in inhumans vs x-men to publish it

maybe it was because of this dumbass that paid $4.99 for it

but i don't know

i'm just a buyer of bad books :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey Rhyno? Your store getting anything like this?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Y'know, I thought IvX#0 was actually fine, which seemed strange until I realized it was just written by Charles Soule, without Jeff Lemire. Let's hope the rest of the issues, which include Lemire, don't end up faring too badly.

In any case, the issue had some intrigue, some nice dialogue...and yet more reasons to want to see these Inhumans shot off this planet in a giant rubber band. It's really too bad that these young NuHumans seem to have been fully indoctrinated by the smarmy ways of the royal family by now, but the only thing to do now is to count our losses and cull the herd before their disease can spread to more enjoyable characters like Kamala and Lunella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

And on my end?

Almost got a bingo

• Locked thread