Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I remove Prompto from my party?

I'm in chapter 2 and he's already managed to get on my poo poo list for being horrifically obnoxious.

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Considering that Final Fantasy has always had cringeworthy dialog this game has pretty good banter between the boys when you're exploring

Also this game totally has random encounters: the imperial ships that drop paratroopers on you is random right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I remove Prompto from my party?

I'm in chapter 2 and he's already managed to get on my poo poo list for being horrifically obnoxious.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

About to go home from work, trying to decide how much sidequesting/hunting I should do, if any

I've heard reports that sidequesting much at all results in overleveling that makes it too easy? What's the goon consensus here?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

About to go home from work, trying to decide how much sidequesting/hunting I should do, if any

I've heard reports that overleveling makes it too easy? What's the goon consensus here?

Overleveling makes it way too easy but the side quests are clearly where the meat of the game is so welp.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I've heard reports that sidequesting much at all results in overleveling that makes it too easy? What's the goon consensus here?

Overleveling story content makes it easier? 🤔

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Overleveling story content makes it easier? 🤔

You know what I meaaaannnnnt :mad:

Eh well if it ends up too easy because I wanted to see a bunch of stuff so be it, I've got Bloodborne when I want to get mad at video games

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Has anyone gotten an S grade in combat? I refuse to believe a Japanese video game's highest rating for combat is A+

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want to put him in a dumpster and leave him there

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Guys come on down to Galdin Quay! Massage parlors, fancy restaurants, and voids of pure darkness as far as the eye can see!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I don't *GET* combat. I just hold O and try to press square when I can for a parry. But who cares about fights.

Oh and I also haven't spent any AP because wow there are a lot of tabs to pick from and nothing makes sense and I don't want to ruin these guys.

https://twitter.com/lite_sleepr/status/804145599637581824

https://twitter.com/lite_sleepr/status/804136971379556356

It's the fingerless gloves, really

https://twitter.com/lite_sleepr/status/804153800206483456

Photobomed >:\

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 1, 2016

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Is wait mode worth using, now that there's a skill tree for it? It feels kind of hanky to me so far.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I totally ignored the existence of this game until last week when I got a PS4 and figured I might as well pick it up. That being said, this game is great and I love it. The reviews for this game are absolutely hilarious though, it's really funny reading the Gamespot review about how the main party is one-dimensional, but the entire opening paragraph in their FF13 review is about how amazing all the characters are :jerkbag:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Celery Jello posted:

Is wait mode worth using, now that there's a skill tree for it? It feels kind of hanky to me so far.

Like there really isn't a reason not to use it unless you're in a fight with point warp objects noctis climbs.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

Has anyone gotten an S grade in combat? I refuse to believe a Japanese video game's highest rating for combat is A+

They changed S to A+ for the western version

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Its kinda annoying when you're driving to a rest spot and you end up having both Prompto AND Ignis tell you to head back to the nearest hotel because its dangerous to go alone at night. Like, I get it guys, we're on the way to rest. Calm down.

Game continues to be super crazy fun.

Got chocobos, feel really good to ride around on and they're super convenient to use. Rent them for a day at a time up to a week, very affordable, and you can summon them instantly any time as long as you have an active contract.

Also chocobo racing your buddies is super fun, although I'm kinda hoping there's an actual racing league with other people? Ah whatever.

Also put me down as another member of the anglers club, fishing in this game is pretty chill :)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

if my game ever arrives then I'll also have extra road trip codes to distribute but it doesnt seem likely to be tonight, damnit!!!!!!

first person to PM me gets a set of codes. can't be positive theyll work since apparently some people had issues and they sent replacements, but I used the replacement ones and havent tried these yet

edit: claimed!

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 1, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Getting triple A+ in a battle feels so loving good, the combat is great.

By the way i heard some people complaining about going into dungeons and being ambushed by a level 50 boss, so FYI dungeons show up as side quests when you approach their entrance and you can see the recommended level for the dungeon on your quest menu from there.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Whoever said magic is a "gently caress you I'm not doing this fight" button is right.

Quintcast Thundara :stare:

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Super No Vacancy was kind enough to furnish me with the codes. Unfortunately it was a set of the bad amazon codes but its all good :).

If anyone has an extra set of amazon DLC and wouldn't mind tossing them to a student who doesn't pay attention to all the DLC promotions let me know!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Game is good about 4 hours in. I like Prompto because I am garbage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am guessing I was not SUPPOSED to kill the level 51 guy in the mines at this point considering the amount of EXP I got from it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

There's no reason not to just hold down the defend button at literally all times, is there?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is there a list out there yet that's shows what you need to use to craft all the spells? Like what are the cheap items for dual/tri/quad/quint cast, etc?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a list out there yet that's shows what you need to use to craft all the spells? Like what are the cheap items for dual/tri/quad/quint cast, etc?

Nothing concrete yet, sort of the dark side of a worldwide release.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Amazon just sent me duplicate codes for the preorder stuff too. My original ones worked, so these are free to a good home. PS4

Gae Bolg (FFXIV) & Travel Pack:

DCBC-LGNJ-HKLB

Mage Mashers (FFIX) & Camera Kit:

55E6-B8N9-KAJM

Blazefire Saber (FFXIII) & Gourmand Set:

LNDH-J6NR-QR6P

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

Soysaucebeast posted:

Amazon just sent me duplicate codes for the preorder stuff too. My original ones worked, so these are free to a good home. PS4

Gae Bolg (FFXIV) & Travel Pack:
Blazefire Saber (FFXIII) & Gourmand Set:

Claimed these, appreciate it!

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just at a rough chop, it seems like the cheapest/most common things to craft dual/tri/quad are as follows:

Sheep Milk - Dualcast
Sweet Pepper - Tricast
Beetle Shell or Sharp Tail Feathers - Quadcast

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just found a sidequest where Gladio wants me to kill a behemoth to add the meat to his cup noodles so that they can "surpass perfection." He is also worried that someone else might "beat us to it."

This game really is MGSV.

edit: Spoiled it just in case I guess.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 1, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

There's no reason not to just hold down the defend button at literally all times, is there?

Remember dodging drains MP so if you get into a big ol cluster of dudes you'll drain yourself really fast and get dropped

also if you attempt any of the higher-level sidemissions your posse will not be able to handle anything themselves and they need you to initiate links and breaks

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Just wrapped up the story - finished at around 40 hours, with the party at around level 50. Did a bunch of side stuff, but nowhere near all. Time to go back and do post-game now.

Thoughts:

Chapter 13 was as big a drag as people have been saying. Stick it out, though, because Chapters 14 + 15 make up for it. Seriously, though, I have no idea who thought 13 was a good idea.

The biggest disappointment with this game is seeing the places where they could have built it out, but didn't - likely because the development was hosed. If that 10 years had gone to making an explorable continent around Altissia and - especially - having the World of Ruin explorable as the second half of the game , this probably would go down in the top 5 Final Fantasy games.

Maybe DLC? Who knows.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just found a sidequest where Gladio wants me to kill a behemoth to add the meat to his cup noodles so that they can "surpass perfection." He is also worried that someone else might "beat us to it."

This game really is MGSV.

edit: Spoiled it just in case I guess.

I love that they actually licensed official Cup Noodles for the game :) And that Gladio loves them so much.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This lady is in the Insomnia guard and her name is...Monica.

I have no idea what the naming convention is anymore.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Saint Freak posted:

This lady is in the Insomnia guard and her name is...Monica.

I have no idea what the naming convention is anymore.

Didn't you meet Dave though?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The magic system is neat but I'm terrible and not exploding my own guys with it.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Someone explain to me how to approach combat because I don't think I'm getting it.

Basically every fight in the first 3-4 hours so far has been groups of 6-10 enemies in a giant roiling clusterfuck and I can visually interpret what's going on maybe 5% of the time. My bros are off doing things, I'm swinging my weapons at something I presume and then three enemies that were off screen dive in and hit me with something from the side. Sometimes I'll get a block warning, sometimes I won't, and the game seems to have a liberal interpretation of when I'm actually hitting the block button in response to those warnings.

I got some kind of air jump move branching off from the circle combo, which I guess I'm using but I never actually see it do things, and some abilities which give benefits if you time a dodge properly. I'm regretting those now, because I can see enemy telegraphs occasionally but with the way fights are happening they're almost always lost in visual noise.

None of this has caused problems yet because the fights, so far, have been fairly easy and I've never been in serious danger, but I expect that won't be true for the entire game. I'm just... not sure what I'm supposed to be doing beyond holding circle, emptying my tech bar, and occasionally pitching a sword at a far away enemy.

Also, as an aside, how did the current lock on system make it through three goddamn demos? Two buttons to lock onto something? Jesus.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Sounds like everyone is really enjoying this game which makes me excited for when I finally get it. How are the loading times though? How's the soundtrack?

Those are a few of my favorite final fantasy things. I am kind of bummed though that there isn't pay building in this game like in previous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone know the name of the loving awesome combat theme that plays sometimes? It's incredibly fast paced and I god damned love it.

Stumpus posted:

Sounds like everyone is really enjoying this game which makes me excited for when I finally get it. How are the loading times though? How's the soundtrack?

Those are a few of my favorite final fantasy things. I am kind of bummed though that there isn't pay building in this game like in previous.

Loading times are among the worst I've ever seen, the soundtrack is pretty excellent.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

ImpAtom posted:

Loading times are among the worst I've ever seen

This said, though, it doesn't actually have to load very often in my experience, only on launch and if you fast-travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If there are lots of overpowered pizza codes floating around I would really appreciate one as well (PS4) :)

Stumpus posted:

The load times are loving awful but rare unless you're fast traveling around the map knocking out sidequests. The soundtrack is good, but even if you didn't like it, when you're in the car or in the world you can listen to best-of albums of the rest of the series so it wouldn't be much of a problem

• Locked thread