Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
With my cursor hovering dangerously close to the buy-it-now button of a Sega Naomi I paused and reminded myself that on this path there be dragons.

This is the path that leads to me owning an Apple Pippin.

I do not need a Naomi and I definitely do not need a Pippin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Miles McCloud posted:

With my cursor hovering dangerously close to the buy-it-now button of a Sega Naomi I paused and reminded myself that on this path there be dragons.

You know you want both though....actually no. No-one wants a Pippin.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I still find it hilarious that the Pippin was even prototyped, let alone sold. "we need the vast range of Macintosh games!" said noone ever.

And on that note, its surprising a similar console but wintel/dos based didn't happen. The Xbox was kinda that but you needed heavy recompilation, while the Pippin runs nearly untouched Mac executables primarily with patches so they don't try to write to hard drive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Reading this has made me curious: is there a single positive thing to come out of Twin Galaxies or associating with them in the past decade?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The last time I heard Twin Galaxies mentioned as anything other than a thing that used to be around was the first Guinness World Records GAMER EDITION book that came out. I legit had no idea they were still around, since arcade score records seem to have been replaced in the general interest by speedrun records which no-one goes to Twin Galaxies for.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I just read that espn article, I'm really glad I don't have whatever mental illness this is

quote:

The orthodontist sat in front of his computer near the end of the auction on GameGavel.com, hoping to buy the Thompsons' copy and terrified that his account might not work correctly or that there would be just enough of a delay on the site for his bid to fail.

His hands, normally steady in his trade, turned clammy and uncertain. It was maybe the most beautiful copy of Stadium Events that Tod had found. There was no way he could let it go: a pristine copy of the game, complete with its manual, the cellophane still attached to the box. He stood up, paced, sat back down -- a wreck. His wife was standing behind him, yelling, "Buy it! Buy it!" He typed the bid at the last second: $25,000, an admittedly outrageous amount of money.

There was a delay. Finally, the words popped up: Tod was the winner.

He jumped out of his chair, toward his wife; they fell into each other, danced. He'd done it, again. More money thrown after this obsession. But this was different; he knew this was the end, nowhere else to go. He slumped back into the chair victorious, suddenly reminded of the practicalities of a bank transfer to a couple in a small town in North Carolina.

"No matter what I collect now, it can't match the experience of collecting that NES set. It's not possible," he would later say. "It's kind of like being a Red Sox fan, like I was growing up. I wanted more than anything for the Red Sox to win that 1986 Series. I was devastated when they didn't. But if they had, that would have meant losing the thrill of the hunt for the next two decades."

The game arrived in the mail, packed by the Thompsons like a Russian nesting doll, box inside of box. Sitting in his basement, he was mindful of the mechanics of each deep breath -- raising the box with the Japanese art style illustration on the cover, two runners in motion, one in red shorts, the other with blue shorts and a headband, competing in an Olympic sprint. He had a spot at the left edge of the Nintendo case for the box, where it joined his other copy. He even put on his white orthodontist gloves to first touch the game. "Gosh, it's beautiful," he said.

He has yet to play it.

I can understand paying obscene sums for like, a game you love that you enjoy playing a lot or have some connection with but I don't think anybody actually finds stadium events fun or has good memories of it, wtf is the point

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

a dreamcast is like a naomi you can hook to your TV. You don't need a naomi

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
It seems to me that being a public person in gaming online only leads to trouble. As it is I have effectively almost completely have ended my social media presence I can't imagine how it is for someone better known and/or female. There are a lot of very nice people out there but the crazies ruin things for everyone else.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

I still find it hilarious that the Pippin was even prototyped, let alone sold. "we need the vast range of Macintosh games!" said noone ever.

And on that note, its surprising a similar console but wintel/dos based didn't happen. The Xbox was kinda that but you needed heavy recompilation, while the Pippin runs nearly untouched Mac executables primarily with patches so they don't try to write to hard drive.

I think I vaguely recall that it was going to be positioned as a cheap Internet access / multimedia device first and foremost. This idea might have had some merit in the mid-1990s when the Internet was really starting to take off, full-fledged PCs were still pretty expensive even at the low-end, and the idea of CD-ROM-based multimedia still had some gas left in the tank. The games were probably an afterthought, or perhaps more of a pivot once it became apparent that spending $600 on a proprietary device in front of your TV for Internet access was not terribly appealing to most people.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just "watched" that Nintendo Quest doc, as in after about 15 minutes I skimmed through it, because most of it after the intro is just the guy looking through display cases.

Starts off like it could be cool, but 2 days in he's already got 1/3rd of the collection (he has 30 days to complete it). Also in those first days, they were going to homes of friends buying prearranged lots of good games for very cheap, which takes a lot out of it to begin with. They don't really show in-store negotiations. You don't always know how much he's spending nor how much money he's working with. There was some weird scene involving a "rival collector" in Ohio, who seemed to just be some nice normal guy wondering who the hell these people from Canada are. The dad angle was pretty :wtf: out of nowhere.

Also, that same Tod collector is featured in it, and that's where they get Little Samson from.

They showed that cabinet discussed in the ESPN article; Tod has a gray NWC cart (there might've been two actually but I don't feel like looking again) and 4-5 VGA graded boxed NES games. VGA grading is the biggest scam in retro gaming, but when you obviously have money to burn I guess it doesn't matter.

But anyway, overall the Nintendo Quest was actually just as I expected more or less. It seemed like a good premise but it just fell completely flat and never felt interesting nor compelling.

edit: Apparently the money for this entire doc was raised via Kickstarter, and they raised about $17K for the quest itself, for game purchases and travel fees etc. I mean that's cool and all, but that's a lot more cash to work with than I had originally thought, and it's not even his, so yeah great job I guess. None of this outside of Stadium Events seemed all that challening if that's what the deal was.

d0s posted:

I can understand paying obscene sums for like, a game you love that you enjoy playing a lot or have some connection with but I don't think anybody actually finds stadium events fun or has good memories of it, wtf is the point
So you can have the biggest e-penis on nintendoage

shyduck fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 1, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Stadium events does weird things to people.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Reading this has made me curious: is there a single positive thing to come out of Twin Galaxies or associating with them in the past decade?

Gonna go out on a limb here and say "nope".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Today I bought Bushido Blade.

One step closer to owning every fighting game except Sculptor's Cut.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm thinking of just getting an 8bitdo wireless receiver and using that.

Clever girl.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

d0s posted:

I just read that espn article, I'm really glad I don't have whatever mental illness this is

You don't buy it to play it, you buy it to possess it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Today I bought Bushido Blade.

One step closer to owning every fighting game except Sculptor's Cut.

The real question there is why didn't you have Bushido Blade already?

Smoking Crow posted:

You don't buy it to play it, you buy it to possess it

Yeah. Stadium Events is a collection capstone. You have to be into collecting things just to have them in order to want it. I'm a ginormous collector and it has no appeal to me beyond the fact that if a copy appeared before me for $10 I'd buy it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Guy that runs RetroRGB had an interview with a retired Sony PVM/BVM technician. Had some pretty good info for anyone interested in CRTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZqQMzS1dLc&t=1539s

Man, this guy is like 15 minutes away from me. I should keep this guy in mind in the future.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 1, 2016

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The real question there is why didn't you have Bushido Blade already?

Maybe he used to have a copy but his brother gave it away along with their copy of Intelligent Qube.
:negative:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been sitting on various twitters and e-mail newsletters and sites for any kind of update on N64 UltraHDMI mods for months now and haven't seen a peep :( Either it's all happening under the table or the PCB boards just really haven't been getting made or sent or whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Nate RFB posted:

I've been sitting on various twitters and e-mail newsletters and sites for any kind of update on N64 UltraHDMI mods for months now and haven't seen a peep :( Either it's all happening under the table or the PCB boards just really haven't been getting made or sent or whatever.

Marshall has always beat to the rhythm of his own drum. Just how he is.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

Those things are solid steel and weigh a metric ton.
Really? I move mine without much issue with just a furniture dolly.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

END ME SCOOB posted:

What happens in someone's life to make them this invested in being the world's greatest player of Home Alone for the NES?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fastbilly1 posted:

Really? I move mine without much issue with just a furniture dolly.

It's a figurative metric ton which is the unit of measurement for anything you wouldn't want to carry up a flight of steps.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Random Stranger posted:

It's a figurative metric ton which is the unit of measurement for anything you wouldn't want to carry up a flight of steps.
Fair enough. The bigger issue with the tent is how wide it is. It is easier to carry sideways, by hand or with a dolly, but then it is almost 40 inches wide. So you have to rotate it to get it through doors. Its still easier than moving an Xmen 6 player, Any environmental, or most pinball machines.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, I haven't received any availability updates from the guy in almost a year. I'm guessing that its easier to ship to a small number of bulk purchasers than individual orders to the general public. It's too bad as the graphical options like disabling blur make a noticeable difference.

Fortunately, it looks like Tim Worthington's N64RGB board can be programmed to support the Deblur function for similar image quality over RGB. There's also MikejMoffitt's upcoming N64 board so at least there are some decent options that are widely available.

N64RGB Deblur discussion:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56988&start=180

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 1, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Is deblur the same as disabling AA with gameshark codes?

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is deblur the same as disabling AA with gameshark codes?

Edit: here's a better comparison from the linked thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56988

"The blur is not just anti-aliasing. It's a horizontal 50% blur. The N64 outputs a 640 pixel wide image, even if the backbuffer is 320 pixels wide, and it doubles the backbuffer's width to fill the line. The appearance is an "off by half pixel" blur done horizontally. Correcting it produces a sharp 320px wide image. The scene's rendering and use of AA shouldn't affect it.

Because the blur is exactly 50% "between pixels", that means every other column is a 100% intact part of the original 320px image. So, if we simply drop the blurred columns (odd columns) and re-use the good columns (even columns) we have a restored 320 pixel image. Naturally there is zero lag in this technique.

Here is a before and after comparison, with Super Smash Bros - a game which uses AA. Patched games are an expensive option because all the flash carts are pricy, and not all games have patches."

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 1, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Ok but is it the same as deblurring with a gameshark code?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Folks on Twitter are saying that Micomsoft announced they're stopping production of the Framemeister, no word of a successor so far but I'm guessing they'll be releasing something with 4k support at some point.

edit: Micomsoft's official announcement:

https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/804226382259634176

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 1, 2016

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Doc Morbid posted:

Folks on Twitter are saying that Micomsoft announced they're stopping production of the Framemeister, no word of a successor so far but I'm guessing they'll be releasing something with 4k support at some point.
Lets hope so. It seems silly to think about 4K when talking about 240p source material, but 1080p isn't an integer multiple of 240p (4.5x), but 4K is (9x). 4K also gives you enough pixels that you could accurately imitate CRT scanlines, subpixels, shadow mask, and bloom.

The one drawback is that 480p becomes the odd-man out, dividing into 2160p the same crappy 4.5 times that 240p did into 1080p. We'll have to wait for 8K to get proper integer scaling for everything.

Edit: Here's the google translate for the tweet. Sounds like the chip they use inside the unit is going EOL, but they're buying a bunch to keep production going for another year.

[Important Notice Regarding the End of FRAMEMEISTER Production] The end of production of the main IC was announced. Next February will be the IC's last byte. We plan to purchase enough stock to continue production for more than 1 year, but will end as soon as it is lost. For details, please visit http://www.micomsoft.co.jp/micomsoft_news

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I think I vaguely recall that it was going to be positioned as a cheap Internet access / multimedia device first and foremost. This idea might have had some merit in the mid-1990s when the Internet was really starting to take off, full-fledged PCs were still pretty expensive even at the low-end, and the idea of CD-ROM-based multimedia still had some gas left in the tank. The games were probably an afterthought, or perhaps more of a pivot once it became apparent that spending $600 on a proprietary device in front of your TV for Internet access was not terribly appealing to most people.

Yeah the thing is the Macs of the time was still a terrible platform to build off for that as well. Because of the extra cost of all the parts you needed versus building a wintel machine with a shell - and the lack of stability of the versions of System 7 that were available for it.

Of course the project originated with Apple themselves, so they were going to use the Mac platform anyway. But Bandai and Katz should have been smart enough to not buy in.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
jfc, a friend of mine stopped in a pawn shop and apparently the security guard was like "hey you know anyone who wants a super nintendo" and produced a box with a snes and like 60 games. he bought it for $100 and, in addition to pretty much all the big nintendo games and some good 3rd party stuff, there's poo poo like dracula x and demon's crest in there. i'm stupid fuckin jealous

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I'd like to see that happen at one of the pawn shops in my neighborhood (The LBC).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the only good thing I ever found at a pawn shop was robo aleste for 5 bucks and this was no joke like 17 years ago

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Baron Snow posted:

Maybe he used to have a copy but his brother gave it away along with their copy of Intelligent Qube.
:negative:

:smith:

Nah I just didn't have a Playstation back in the day and a copy just showed up at the local game store for $15. If I can be fine paying $12 for Masters of Teras Kasi I'm certainly fine with that!

I'd toyed with getting it off the Japanese PSN, though.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Code Jockey posted:

Finally got my RetroPie setup going and holy crap this is awesome, it's incredibly easy and just works so well. Just need to order a few of those buffalo USB SNES pads.

I think I might build one of these for a friend of mine for christmas, he wants a simple retrogaming setup for his kids, and this could not be easier [and his kids are old enough to not go loving with the setup menu and break it]

Gonna probably build/buy one of those power switch setups though, it's dumb as gently caress that the pi does not have a power switch.

What controllers are you using now? I can't for the life of me get my two 8bitdo controllers to exit games by pressing start + select. I end up having to find my usb keyboard, plugging it in, and hitting the keys bound to start and select or I just get lazy and reboot the Raspberry Pi from my phone... If I could get the exiting games thing to work I'd be using my retropie a whole lot more.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

END ME SCOOB posted:

The guy she's writing about is the psychopath who harassed and stalked me (thankfully I'm only briefly mentioned here). The best things to come out of Twin Galaxies are A. the tracking of competitive gaming scores as a concept and B. Walter Day - most other people genuinely invested in TG at this point are complete psychos or only barely involved at best. Inexplicably they are the ones who are still partnered with Guinness, which is the only shred of relevancy they have to hang on to post Walter.

Some of us are loathe to actually use his name so we call him Fruity Gay Spaghetti. Yes it's childish, no I don't care.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Yeah the thing is the Macs of the time was still a terrible platform to build off for that as well. Because of the extra cost of all the parts you needed versus building a wintel machine with a shell - and the lack of stability of the versions of System 7 that were available for it.

Of course the project originated with Apple themselves, so they were going to use the Mac platform anyway. But Bandai and Katz should have been smart enough to not buy in.

Well, I wonder if part of it was Apple drinking their own Kool-Aid back in the day about being the platform that is most user-friendly, "it all just works", and being a preeminent multimedia platform because Quicktime that's why (something I kind of recall the more education and home user-focused advertising of the company touting). Part of it, too, is that the Pippin was developed and pushed by Apple before Steve Jobs returned, and they were probably trying anything that would expand the brand, market share, and mind share (recall that Apple was allowing for Mac clones to be made at this point). Being at the "Internet appliance" and home multimedia forefront was probably viewed as a viable market option to enter at the time, especially if entering it was just a matter of using an older but still viable PowerPC CPU, including some AV hardware to display on TVs (thus obviating the explicit need for a dedicated monitor), not including a hard drive, and doing some revamping of MacOS.

It wouldn't be dead simple to bring together, but tying existing hardware and software together was probably still easier and cheaper than starting from scratch.

The key point, though, is that I think Apple wasn't willing to put itself out on a limb; the Mac clone producers would take all their own lumps in the market, pretty much, and the same would apply for Pippin licensees. And yeah, Bandai and Katz should have been leery as hell of jumping on board, especially since Apple didn't appear to be willing to release a version of the Pippin with its own branding. That alone should have set off klaxon warnings about its viability, if the parent company had no plans to commit itself to it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

On the other hand, where else are you gonna play Super Marathon?

(Then again, why would you want to play Super Marathon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I only play Super versions of games. This includes Super Troll Islands.

• Locked thread