Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have Messenger as my default application and my SMS messages are coming into Hangouts.

Figured it out, I had to go another step further and tell Hangouts specifically not to get my SMS. Hangouts was overriding Messenger.

Hangouts Settings -> Account -> Project Fi calls and SMS ----- Disable this and SMS works over bluetooth in my car. This overrides your default messaging app.

Still works with either Messenger or Hangouts as your default SMS application (Under General Settings in Hangouts).

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I have Messenger as my default application and my SMS messages are coming into Hangouts.

Figured it out, I had to go another step further and tell Hangouts not to get my SMS. Hangouts was overriding messenger.

Yeah this. You also need to do this if an app is trying to read an SMS for its activation code, like Signal does.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Wilford Cutlery posted:

You can't send texts from your phone without a data connection of some kind, whether a mobile data (3G/LTE/etc.) or wifi.

Untrue unless you have hangouts integration enabled.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I guess disabling that also kills SMS integration on desktop Hangouts. Why can't Google just let me have everything?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

complete disagree on this one. hangouts was still a trash garbage fire when i last tried to use it a few months ago

It is, but no other way to have SMS integrated across all devices.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Uncle Ivan posted:

It is, but no other way to have SMS integrated across all devices.

You could use push bullet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hangouts is pretty cool and lets me take/make phone calls from my computer, from my phone number, very easily.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Hangouts is ugly imo. I can't go back after using Messenger.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Rakeris posted:

You could use push bullet.

Needs to have your phone on for that. And you can't just log in from any browser. Anyway, I wish Google would release just a project Fi SMS interface that you can use from any website while still being able to use whatever SMS app you want.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Uncle Ivan posted:

Needs to have your phone on for that. And you can't just log in from any browser. Anyway, I wish Google would release just a project Fi SMS interface that you can use from any website while still being able to use whatever SMS app you want.

Have you tired MightyText? The phone does have to be powered on but you can just log into a webpage to send and receive SMS.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Uncle Ivan posted:

Anyway, I wish Google would release just a project Fi SMS interface that you can use from any website while still being able to use whatever SMS app you want.
GrandCentral does that effectively. Maybe Google could buy them and use their SMS integration. I've got it, they could call it Google Voice.

Why is google crippling Fi and letting anyone on any other carrier have SMS integration with Voice?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

photomikey posted:

GrandCentral does that effectively. Maybe Google could buy them and use their SMS integration. I've got it, they could call it Google Voice.

Why is google crippling Fi and letting anyone on any other carrier have SMS integration with Voice?

Pretty much. I've been using Google Voice since 2009, and ported my number to it when it was first possible in winter of 2010 I think. Fi was the natural progression. I just don't understand why it has to be Hangouts OR an SMS client. It should be a centralized SMS database just like how Voice was, which gets pushed to your phone, then you can use whatever SMS client you want.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I might still be using Hangouts if the Android app wasn't so bad. It isn't terrible if you look at it by itself, but when I was using it, it didn't even have the ability to multi-select messages from a conversation. That is a feature that has existed for years in most other Google apps, like Messenger, Gmail, etc. :v:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Wasn't Google Fi's support pages at one point saying to not use Hangouts for SMS? I can't seem to find it right now but I swear I came across that a few months back so I just stuck with Messenger.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I solved my Messenger/Hangouts SMS problem with Pushbullet and getting most of my friends to just install WhatsApp instead.

HelloGuestWifi got an update last week and if you haven't tried it, or tried in the past, I suggest you give it another go. It'll automatically log you in to hotspots that have a portal. You still have to tell it to try the first time, but from there on out it'll do the work for you.

Whatever the update was made it much, much faster. Now I'm on the Wifi by the time I get through the door at most of the places I shop that provide WiFi with a "Click to Accept terms" button.

Very convenient and will help you manage your data costs just that extra little bit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Does HelloGuestWifi not go by that name in the Play Store?

Also SignalSpy is pretty interesting, I set up my phone and was on Sprint, went for a walk, and have been on T-Mobile since.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Does HelloGuestWifi not go by that name in the Play Store?

Also SignalSpy is pretty interesting, I set up my phone and was on Sprint, went for a walk, and have been on T-Mobile since.

Oh for fucks sake, he renamed it too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.androidyou.wifiloginnew

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Are the "choose which towers you use" apps free, or do they cost? And what's the generally accepted best one?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Are the "choose which towers you use" apps free, or do they cost? And what's the generally accepted best one?

Is it even possible to manually choose your tower? I don't know. SignalSpy just shows you what you're connected to, and keeps a log if you go premium.

Also if you're worried about paying for apps, just get on Google Opinions Rewards. You get surveys and they pay you between $0.10 and $1.00 in Google bucks. I use it to buy apps, rent movies, etc. It expires after a year of not spending it, but I still have $43 sitting in my account.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FogHelmut posted:

Is it even possible to manually choose your tower? I don't know. SignalSpy just shows you what you're connected to, and keeps a log if you go premium.

There are dialer codes that can force the phone to connect to Sprint, TMobile, or US Cellular towers. SignalSpy lets you copy the codes out of the app if you use the free version or to send the codes itself if you use the premium version and give it permission.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

There are dialer codes that can force the phone to connect to Sprint, TMobile, or US Cellular towers. SignalSpy lets you copy the codes out of the app if you use the free version or to send the codes itself if you use the premium version and give it permission.

Interesting. Doesn't sound like something that I would want to know enough about the networks to mess with. Google is supposed to be able to pick the best one, so I'll stick with their judgement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

Interesting. Doesn't sound like something that I would want to know enough about the networks to mess with. Google is supposed to be able to pick the best one, so I'll stick with their judgement.

I get weird situations where it will connect to one (Sprint, usually) and say I have full bars, but I can't actually use any data. I have to force it onto another network to actually use the data.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

It will go back to auto by itself after two hours no matter what you do to it so you can't screw anything up too bad.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I get weird situations where it will connect to one (Sprint, usually) and say I have full bars, but I can't actually use any data. I have to force it onto another network to actually use the data.

This happens to me all the time with Sprint and it's why I use FiSwitch.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I would be perfectly happy if Fi were just 100% T-Mobile for me with the Hangouts SMS integration and the free international roaming. Every time my data speeds go to poo poo, I check my network and it's because it switched to Sprint for some reason.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Uncle Ivan posted:

I would be perfectly happy if Fi were just 100% T-Mobile for me with the Hangouts SMS integration and the free international roaming. Every time my data speeds go to poo poo, I check my network and it's because it switched to Sprint for some reason.

You can force it to t-mobile with dialing codes if you want to.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/project-fi/IkOy8ZGNyPk

quote:

Force Jump to T-Mobile: *#*#34866#*#*

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Yep, I use FiSwitch -- I meant in the sense that I'd be satisfied if Fi were just an MVNO for Tmobile without any network switching at all. I guess if I travel to more rural parts of the US though it'd be helpful. Here in NYC though anything except T-Mo just works poorly.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Also if you're worried about paying for apps, just get on Google Opinions Rewards. You get surveys and they pay you between $0.10 and $1.00 in Google bucks. I use it to buy apps, rent movies, etc. It expires after a year of not spending it, but I still have $43 sitting in my account.

Yo this is dope, thanks for the tip. How long does it usually take to verify you so you can start taking surveys?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just started using Textra on my Pixel and it's pretty great.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Yo this is dope, thanks for the tip. How long does it usually take to verify you so you can start taking surveys?

Took me over a year and two different phones before I got any, but I'm an outlier.

Speaking of, I got three or four surveys this week asking if I went places that I've never heard of or haven't been in months. Oh well, still get my $0.10 each time.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, the network picking/switching is bullshit. If I could just stay on US Cellular all the time (Madison, WI) I would have much better coverage. Instead it always seems to pick the garbage T-Mobile network. Switching between wifi and LTE is also very slow. When I leave my house in my car, I usually wait about 20 seconds (to let bluetooth connectivity sort itself out) before trying to play Spotify. In most situations, when I turn on my phone screen, it says I'm offline and it takes a good 10 seconds for the phone to connect to LTE. When I was on US Cellular, I never had this issue.

The Pixel itself is a pretty awesome phone, but Fi is less than perfect. A while ago I asked if there's any chance my service could degrade when switching from US Cellular to Fi, and the and the answer is Yes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The last two days, I've been getting one ring, missed call, one ring, second missed call whenever someone calls. It seems like I've been on US Cellular all those times. Wish it stayed with TMobile until I lost coverage, then switched to Sprint or US Cellular.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Mr Executive posted:

Yeah, the network picking/switching is bullshit. If I could just stay on US Cellular all the time (Madison, WI) I would have much better coverage. Instead it always seems to pick the garbage T-Mobile network. Switching between wifi and LTE is also very slow. When I leave my house in my car, I usually wait about 20 seconds (to let bluetooth connectivity sort itself out) before trying to play Spotify. In most situations, when I turn on my phone screen, it says I'm offline and it takes a good 10 seconds for the phone to connect to LTE. When I was on US Cellular, I never had this issue.

The Pixel itself is a pretty awesome phone, but Fi is less than perfect. A while ago I asked if there's any chance my service could degrade when switching from US Cellular to Fi, and the and the answer is Yes.

I thought you could use Signal Spy to switch to US Cellular, then turn off auto switching.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Doesn't all the switching basically murder your battery life?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

I thought you could use Signal Spy to switch to US Cellular, then turn off auto switching.

From what I understand (and from what KICK BAMA KICK said) the dialer codes only work for 2 hours. They do indeed work, but it automatically switches back to auto mode after 2 hours.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Project Fi isn't significantly cheaper than other prepaid plans, so if you only want T Mobile or USCell you could just get a prepaid sim from them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FedEx Mercury posted:

Project Fi isn't significantly cheaper than other prepaid plans, so if you only want T Mobile or USCell you could just get a prepaid sim from them.

That's the thing, while I mostly want TMobile, it doesn't work outside of town for me. Sprint and US Cellular are great when I'm in the boonies and the reason I switched to Fi.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if you could use Tasker or a similar app to redial those network switch codes depending on time of day or location. If the Fi switching just isn't working that is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Has anyone ever tried complaining to Fi support about their problem locations? It wouldn't surprise me if they passively collect aggregate information about that already, but even if they do, complaining might speed up the process of them fixing problems like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Having been on various pre-paid and MVNO plans for like ten years, so I forget I have support that I can contact that will actually do anything.