Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Morrowind alchemy is a fuckin Looney tunes funhouse of exploitable stuff. For instance the Tribunal expansion city Mournhold (city of light! City of magic!) has a chick selling bloat and netch leather for dirt. Her stock refreshes every time you leave her shop window. Both make a fortify intelligence potion.

So you buy a load of mats, crank out however many potions you can, then drink them all, boosting you Int a bit. Then repeat. Every round of potions is stronger due to the Int boost.

Eventually you have potions of Fortify Intelligence 27627727266 for 7772002992 seconds. Then go make potions of shielding, fortify magicka, etc and be a god.

Lol don't do speed, strength, or fortify health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know there was a seller for that in Mournhold but I'm scrabbling together yams and leather to make my enchanting stuff later! I'm going to make a flamethrower. :getin:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't know there was a seller for that in Mournhold but I'm scrabbling together yams and leather to make my enchanting stuff later! I'm going to make a flamethrower. :getin:

Yeah she is right out front of the temple iirc

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's just too small to include of its own without Hammerfell.

The size it is on a map has no relation to how big the gameworld is, Skyrim in the lore takes longer than 2 hours to walk across. Thinking of the map as a series of locales just far apart enough to give you the feeling of "yeah I'm travelling here" and Lord of the Rings-esque landscape shots is more accurate than thinking of it as an actual geographical space.

But yeah, next game is Hammerfell.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
My low-level Morrowind rule of thumb is "run the gently caress away from two-handed weapons." Swords are sometimes ok, but if a bandit has a two-banded axe or hammer I just nope the gently caress out in the early game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The beginning of Morrowind, if nothing else, does an amazing job of establishing the fact that you are a scrub.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2016

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Also keep in mind that agility will affect your hit rate and fall-down rate. Low agility scores can really bone you against those two-handed rear end-holes. I can't count how many deaths I've had from getting floored by some big Orc's hammer and crushed to death lying helplessly on the floor.

One of my favorite builds was a really speedy dude who back-pedaled away from enemies while poking them with spears. You can get pretty good at dodging enemy spells this way too. Just watch out for some of those high-level spells that basically nuke the entire goddamn room.

e:

Eifert Posting posted:

The beginning of Morrowind if nothing else doesn't amazing job of establishing the fact that you are a scrub.

And that everyone wants your dumb, gringo rear end off of their island.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

raminasi posted:

My low-level Morrowind rule of thumb is "run the gently caress away from two-handed weapons." Swords are sometimes ok, but if a bandit has a two-banded axe or hammer I just nope the gently caress out in the early game.

hammer skeletons will not hesitate to put your rear end in the dirt and are probably a bigger source of reloads than bonewalkers stealing my muscles

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Vladimir Putt-Putt posted:

hammer skeletons will not hesitate to put your rear end in the dirt and are probably a bigger source of reloads than bonewalkers stealing my muscles

Take this out of context and it is poetry.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I re-play Morrowind from time to time but when I do I console up my skills to ~level 5 or so. I had enough of Morrowind level 1, thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eifert Posting posted:

The beginning of Morrowind, if nothing else, does an amazing job of establishing the fact that you are a scrub.

I love that the first quest Caius gives you is "Here's 200 bucks. Come back when you suck less." I also love that despite being a pure mage, I'm getting more strength gains than anything just by exercising my spindly nerd rear end.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the other side of it Neloth in Skyrim not having any of your poo poo and being completely nonplussed by your achievements is great.

"Yes yes you're the Dragonborn, we're all very impressed. :jerkbag:"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I love that the first quest Caius gives you is "Here's 200 bucks. Come back when you suck less."

Caius cracks me the gently caress up. Some shirtless scumball in a poo poo apartment doing drugs all day, and then you show up and he goes "lol are you fuckin with me?"

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Millennial Sexlord posted:

Caius cracks me the gently caress up. Some shirtless scumball in a poo poo apartment doing drugs all day, and then you show up and he goes "lol are you fuckin with me?"

The Blades own

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arguably at the height of the Empire's power at that. It just does such a great job of showing you what a Backwater Morrowind is. Considering how Oblivion and Skyrim turned out it's amazing that they can be so subtle with their World building.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think the best part about being a mage is you don't have to carry around ten billion potions for each thing. I just made a spell for 2 mana to restore 1 to 5 points of all attributes. And also pants that shoot absorb health balls at people.

(I found the netch leather :haw:)

quote:

Arguably at the height of the Empire's power at that. It just does such a great job of showing you what a Backwater Morrowind is. Considering how Oblivion and Skyrim turned out it's amazing that they can be so subtle with their World building.

I thought that was just an act.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought that was just an act.
That's the best part about the character: it could be an act so that he is overlooked and underestimated or it's possible that it isn't and skooma is why he was sent to Morrowind in the first place.
The only thing we are sure of is that he's actually good at his job.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Shoes that restore Fatigue slowly constantly. Run full speed forever and don't get tired.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Shoes that restore Stamina slowly constantly. Run full speed forever and don't get tired.

Fixed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't know soul gems could fail to recharge items in Morrowind. That's annoying considering the trouble you go through to find ones above common.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Snake-person Sexlord posted:

He's one of the greats. I remember someone in the Southwall Corner Club saying that people who judge him based on appearances "aren't around anymore." I assume that he had to have been a beautiful combination of gently caress-up and genius to be assigned to lead the blades in a backwater, then treat that assignment like he's been sent to an open-air prison, living on a diet of skooma and crunches.

Speaking of Caius, on a recent play-through, I read the book under his bed: War of the First Council. I must have done this before, and if it's the first history book you ever read in the game, you don't have the context to notice anything odd, but my mind was blown when I noticed it doesn't talk about "the" Dwemer but about House Dwemer, being the other "secular Dunmer house," along with Dagoth. Maybe this is just supposed to be an outlander scholar painting with too broad a brush, but it makes a lot of sense to me: the Dwemer were a totally separate culture from the Chimer, and only a separate race in as much as for mer, the former triggers the latter (see the chimer->dunmer transition and whatever's up with Orcs). There are other books which imply cultural interchange between Dwemer and ashlanders, there's the dunmer strongholds with their unique architecture and magic, and some Dwemer books were written in Aldmeris. I think the Dwemer may be best understood as a vanished fragment of Dunmer culture.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is a whole nother debate but if you get me going I'll talk all day about how voiced dialogue killed RPGs. The dialogue in Balmora alone would bankrupt Oblivion.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Speaking of Caius, words

As Caius would say:

"Lol shut up nerd and go lift"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What would the best mage equipment be? Is there a lot of stuff that just fortifies magicka? My other playthroughs were with spears so I focused more on that, but it looks like at the least I should go beat up the archmage and take his amulet.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

As Caius would say:

"Lol shut up nerd and go lift"

I believe the saying is "games, gains, moonsugar: choose two." And I have. :colbert:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I've always wondered if the spells Caius is casting, while fighting me, are actual spells or if he's just consuming a lot of skooma.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I've always wondered if the spells Caius is casting, while fighting me, are actual spells or if he's just consuming a lot of skooma.

definitely the deuce

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

By the way, has anyone ever played Battlespire? How does that hold up? I've never even seen it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Not really Elder Scrolls, but there is this little phone game called The Quest that plays a lot like an older style ES game. It really scratches that itch.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hu.redshift.thequest

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I see all this crazy poo poo on crafting and comboing stuff that I really want to go all-in with some insane stuff in Skyrim

(the greatest thing I made in Elder Scrolls was a ring in Oblivion with some decent buffs that I thought "hell yea" then I saw somebody online with a 100% invisibility and %life on hit and then I was a mere corncob)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Transmetropolitan posted:

I see all this crazy poo poo on crafting and comboing stuff that I really want to go all-in with some insane stuff in Skyrim

(the greatest thing I made in Elder Scrolls was a ring in Oblivion with some decent buffs that I thought "hell yea" then I saw somebody online with a 100% invisibility and %life on hit and then I was a mere corncob)

I made a spell that was absorb health, fatigue, and magicka on touch in ten feet or something. It was designed such that so long as there were two or more enemies I could cast it forever and be immortal. Then the last one would have nothing and die. :v:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I made a ring in Morrowind that turned you invisible when you put it on until you acted. Then I just took it off and put it on again.

Ill never forget the time I rounded up all the guards in redoran house and led them into a closet, popped my ring on, then walked out, closed the door, and put a 5 point lock on it lol

Jesus that game was insane. Fly above Caldera and fire a single spell with a huge blast radius down and kill everyone in the town.

Used to buy huge stacks of scrolls of Windwalker. Gave you really fast levitation and full chameleon for like 3 minutes, I guess turning you into wind is the idea. gently caress silt striders, I will literally just fly anywhere I want.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 1, 2016

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I made a ring in Morrowind that turned you invisible when you put it on until you acted. Then I just took it off and put it on again.

Ill never forget the time I rounded up all the guards in redoran house and led them into a closet, popped my ring on, then walked out, closed the door, and put a 5 point lock on it lol

Jesus that game was insane. Fly above Caldera and fire a single spell with a huge blast radius down and kill everyone in the town.

Used to buy huge stacks of scrolls of Windwalker. Gave you really fast levitation and full chameleon for like 3 minutes, I guess turning you into wind is the idea. gently caress silt striders, I will literally just fly anywhere I want.

They should bring back the Morrowind style of enchanting, let rings and such be spellcasteing toys, and have scrolls be nifty alternatives to standard spells.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, has anyone ever played Battlespire? How does that hold up? I've never even seen it.
I played it 15 years ago and the only thing I could remember of it is that then 15-year old me really liked the game's concept (and the nudity), but it wasn't really fun play. Also I'm pretty sure I got stuck due to a bug and couldn't finish the game.
Here's a write up of someone playing through the game if you're interested..

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raygereio posted:

I played it 15 years ago and the only thing I could remember of it is that then 15-year old me really liked the game's concept (and the nudity), but it wasn't really fun play. Also I'm pretty sure I got stuck due to a bug and couldn't finish the game.
Here's a write up of someone playing through the game if you're interested..

quote:

Released in 1996, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall is one of the most seminal genre-transforming RPGs ever released.

Released in 1997, An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire is an RPG.

Daggerfall features gameplay that innovates on nearly every feature of the series. It uses its open world and nonstandard player goals to directly challenge the idea fantasy games should be fun-but-linear dungeon crawl experiences.

Battlespire features gameplay.

:drat:

e: my god the characters

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

keyboard vomit posted:

They should bring back the Morrowind style of enchanting, let rings and such be spellcasteing toys, and have scrolls be nifty alternatives to standard spells.

Yeah I want to roleplay my rogue who jams all sorts of magic looking doodads together and has a full range of "spells" in his pocket.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I remember the dialog in Battlespire making the PC sassy as gently caress, but apparently it varies by intelligence? Wow I misread those screenshots, disregard.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 1, 2016

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Having an issue with Skyrim (and Fallout4) on PC. I'm using a PS4 controller and neither game will remember my control settings.

I've tried running the game as admin, running in compatibility mode, making the documents/my games/*.ini files not read only. Any other fixes? I'm guessing its some weird file permissions thing since it affects both games.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
If you by some miracle have a functioning N-Gage, you could hunt down Travels series as true TES nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

So I was going to plan a big heist of the House vaults in Vivec, and it turns out I can just unlock all the doors right in front of the guards with only a 5 gp penalty. So my "big heist" was more sauntering in, standing behind a door from the guards, stealing everything I could lay my thieving hands on until I was too heavy to move, and teleporting out.

Then I found out that when they gave me the penalty they also took back my stolen stuff, so that at least gave me a mini-heist to pull.