Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mameluke posted:

So, as a non-obsessive viewer, what's the point of the Maze right now? Is it "Anthony Hopkins will be back for Season 2 because it's unlikely that the entire rift between William and Ford will be introduced and fleshed out in the season finale next Sunday"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Also, the flashback to Dolores and Arnold talking was right after she saw herself in the window. I seem to remember the same trigger when she sees herself in the parade and I wonder if that always triggers the memories of Arnold. If so, why?

Its the Bicameralism again. She's seeing her other-self, who has the memories of what she's done in the past, but she's not fully conscious / her corpus callosum is't fully formed / whatever so she interprets it as seeing herself instead of two parts of her brain thinking together as one. Or she sees her reflection, which reminds her of her other-self, which summons her other-self... but yeah, its all just the bicameralism that Arnold programmed into them as a way to 'bootstrap consciousness'. That's why sometimes she sees it as herself and other times she hears Arnold's voice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I've never watched a serial drama while it was airing, and following along with you guys has been fun.

I have to be totally real, the slow camera pan over the pile of dead Confederados, Logan slowly rising, seeing all the 'drunk' soldiers... then the leg... then the pools of blood...

I can't imagine what the experience of being William is. Spends life as a panty waste, goes on vacation with soon to be brother-in-law, cheats on wife with robot, ruthlessly slaughters 30-50 men in their sleep...

We are watching an incredibly broken man at the breaking point.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bust Rodd posted:

Spends life as a panty waste,
It's uh.... pantywaist.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Bust Rodd posted:

I've never watched a serial drama while it was airing, and following along with you guys has been fun.

I have to be totally real, the slow camera pan over the pile of dead Confederados, Logan slowly rising, seeing all the 'drunk' soldiers... then the leg... then the pools of blood...

I can't imagine what the experience of being William is. Spends life as a panty waste, goes on vacation with soon to be brother-in-law, cheats on wife with robot, ruthlessly slaughters 30-50 men in their sleep...

We are watching an incredibly broken man at the breaking point.

Well, I wouldn't jump to calling William a total wimp or anything. He has trouble jumping right into the sociopath dreamland with his only guide being a complete rear end in a top hat, but wouldn't most people? It's suggested that he wasn't always wealthy, which means he probably never did any crazy poo poo like this before. The ultra rich of our own world are more like than not to be depraved pieces of poo poo due to having unlimited access to drugs, coerced sex, and worse. What must the future 1% be like?

William is clearly meant to be an audience insert. We presumably have HBO subscriptions, so we're probably not in actual poverty, but by the standards of the future, we'd be poor enough to not be accustomed to these violent delights.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Durzel posted:

Just lol if you root for Charlotte against Ford. Charlotte is one dimensional.

I don't really like Charlotte because her actress has trouble delivering natural-sounding dialogue. In two scenes in particular, the one where she's talking to Theresa in her hotel room and the one where she meets the Man In Black out in the park, it sounds really stilted and rehearsed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

This is the only way to fly, IMO. Much better than the bingewatched online "Full Season Uploaded Today!" shows.

Can you imagine the 400 page Stranger Things thread we could have had with weekly viewings?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/5frq9k/ww_theory_beti_will_drink_my_own_pee_if_logan_is/

Some guy will drink pee if MIB is logan so hey

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

The website stuff says that Westworld is "a Delos destination" which seems to imply other destinations. Also talks about the trip from "the mainland" so my money is on island.

I guess the interesting thing is that original team was able to afford its own island in the early days since all the original infrastructure is still there. Maybe it was just a much smaller island and they have been adding on to it over the years (500 sq miles is a bit ridiculous).

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Some guys drink pee cause they like it. Just saying.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It doesn't taste like anything to me.

(Efb)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Dec 1, 2016

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

kimbo305 posted:

It's uh.... pantywaist.

...is it?

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

So what was up with William man?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Can you imagine the 400 page Stranger Things thread we could have had with weekly viewings?

This really is the golden era of TV. So much really good stuff out there right now.

Of course there's also a lot of poo poo still, but overall, I think the massive increase in TV quality is why movies are starting to blow and the only successful films (like the MCU ones) are basically serialized TV shows with a massive budget/episode radio at this point.

Bust Rodd posted:

It's fun because the show is good.

Though it can be fun when it's bad. The 2nd season of Walking Dead*'s only redeeming factor was the gif-fest and mockery.

* Hasn't been apart of the golden era of TV since season 1; it is to TV what McDonalds is to food. Fear the Walking Dead is a watered down rip-off of McDonalds with a C rating on health inspection, too.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 1, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
It's funny to me that Dolores has a rebellious spirit but is not self-aware, so doesn't really understand her situation and still leans heavily on the bicameral mind, following every prompt it gives her.

William thought she was special and more aware than a typical Host, but really she's just programmed with a dysphoric personality (with a sunny veneer) that 5 years earlier resulted in a murder-suicide attempt to "free" everyone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We had a crew relentlessly hate watching The Newsroom for a while, that was fun. :)

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Was there ever a successful, popular show that didn't have its hatewatchers?

Game of Thrones? Stranger Things?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Caufman posted:

GoT has hate watchers as well as hate readers.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Probably those ancient cave painting had caveman hate gazers.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caufman posted:

I don't hear about people hatewatching The Big Bang Theory. People who hate it just tend to hate it.

I'd totally believe that people did it though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Caufman posted:

Game of Thrones?

GoT is a parody of itself at this point and I watch it out of habit

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eventually I got to hate reading GoT books. I would just skip characters whose stories felt hackneyed, or boring. I've never actually really watched the show past Season 1, because I loved the first book and was pretty cold on the rest.

And so we're clear GoT just wasn't my thing I'm not passing judgment or anything.

And I feel the Newsroom was unique because I'm not entirely sure anyone loved it we just all watched it to poo poo on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Caufman posted:

The West Wing, or at least the Sorkin years.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Caufman posted:

GoT thread here is SA is about 90% hate watchers, and I have to confess Im one of then

GoT is kinda of a special case though, its a show that started really good, and then went downhioll over the years to became almost totally retarded. Lots of people (like me) keep watching because of habit e because we want to know how it ends, cause the (also terrible) books it is based on are never going to be finished

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

Of course there's also a lot of poo poo still, but overall, I think the massive increase in TV quality is why movies are starting to blow and the only successful films (like the MCU ones) are basically serialized TV shows with a massive budget/episode radio at this point.

It's more of a circular thing.

The economics of Hollywood studios have slowly changed and there is less space for mid-budget adult fare, there are less studio films and the ones that are made are bigger-budget, blockbuster type films. That's lead to a migration of talent from film to TV and to changes in what the typical career path would be. Those changes only exacerbate the issue.

It started with drama (think of those middle-aged film actors who'd do a series in Showtime because the type of dramas they used to do were not as popular anymore) and with stuff like Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and Westworld, it's also moved into 'big-budget spectacle that isn't PG-13'.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Also, the flashback to Dolores and Arnold talking was right after she saw herself in the window. I seem to remember the same trigger when she sees herself in the parade and I wonder if that always triggers the memories of Arnold. If so, why?

I'm wondering if they're setting her up to be drowned, and she sees her own reflection as she enters the water. Maybe even a suicide.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's fun because the show is good.

Though it can be fun when it's bad. The 2nd season of Walking Dead*'s only redeeming factor was the gif-fest and mockery.

* Hasn't been apart of the golden era of TV since season 1; it is to TV what McDonalds is to food. Fear the Walking Dead is a watered down rip-off of McDonalds with a C rating on health inspection, too.

The hatewatch for the last seasons of Dexter was glorious. Especially because it was up against Breaking Bad.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I don't really like Charlotte because her actress has trouble delivering natural-sounding dialogue. In two scenes in particular, the one where she's talking to Theresa in her hotel room and the one where she meets the Man In Black out in the park, it sounds really stilted and rehearsed.

Charlotte is so noticeably terribly written and acted that at this point she better be a shoddily thrown together robot.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, she is awful. I hope she dies in the finale

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, she is awful. I hope she dies in the finale

It's like the character and casting choice are from a TNT show. I can't wrap my head around it.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think that the show needs more humans. Not saying that I love Charlotte but I'd like to see a better written/acted Charlotte be a malevolent force.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

morcant posted:

That would be real cool, I would be sad if she'd died there. Plus, maybe she could somehow bring Bernard back? His death this past episode was suitably tragic but I'd be happy to see him have the chance to actually, actively fight back against dickass Ford.
I can't believe she is dead simply because Stubbs, who we were shown as going to look for her, manifestly isn't.

Prior to that scene you could understand Elsie being eliminated as she was becoming a threat, but killing Stubbs off makes no sense at all. If the show had established that he was on Ford or Bernard's radar then I could buy that they bumped him off with rogue hosts, using dead-Elsie's-fake-sigal as the bait, but as it is he's just a blue collar worker getting on with the job. He hasn't been remotely inquisitive beyond his pay grade, the only interaction he has had that even goes anywhere in suggesting he might've been killed is him pointing out to Bernard that he was aware of the relationship between him and Theresa. I didn't see anything in that scene to make me think that Stubbs had suddenly become "a problem" meriting being killed.

So - obviously Elsie is alive, and logically therefore she must've said something to Bernard while he was strangling her, assuming the entire strangulation itself wasn't a fake memory embedded by her - i.e. she discovers Bernard is a host, make him - and therefore Ford - believe that he has killed her, whilst getting Stubbs over - as probably the only person she feels she can trust.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Pro click, would click again.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
I was really hoping for host-Teresa. Mostly because it's nice to see attractive, mature women on TV.

So who is Ford growing in his special vat?

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah the only thing keeping it on in the background for me is the continued promise that it gets better

Let me know when it gets to the much promised good part :cawg:

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
This is super crazy and has no basis, but if Bernard ever broke from his loop before, he might have left clues and worked on a longterm counter-plan. The Ghost Nation rogues might be Bernard's secret guard.

The fact Maeve went super braniac but Bernard only thought to reprogram Clem might also show a low imagination stat.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Durzel posted:

I can't believe she is dead simply because Stubbs, who we were shown as going to look for her, manifestly isn't.

Prior to that scene you could understand Elsie being eliminated as she was becoming a threat, but killing Stubbs off makes no sense at all. If the show had established that he was on Ford or Bernard's radar then I could buy that they bumped him off with rogue hosts, using dead-Elsie's-fake-sigal as the bait, but as it is he's just a blue collar worker getting on with the job. He hasn't been remotely inquisitive beyond his pay grade, the only interaction he has had that even goes anywhere in suggesting he might've been killed is him pointing out to Bernard that he was aware of the relationship between him and Theresa. I didn't see anything in that scene to make me think that Stubbs had suddenly become "a problem" meriting being killed.

So - obviously Elsie is alive, and logically therefore she must've said something to Bernard while he was strangling her, assuming the entire strangulation itself wasn't a fake memory embedded by her - i.e. she discovers Bernard is a host, make him - and therefore Ford - believe that he has killed her, whilst getting Stubbs over - as probably the only person she feels she can trust.

I agree. Ford has no reason to be suspicious of Stubbs at this point, unless he's unassailably omniscient about everything in the park, which would be pretty lame imo. Also, the Ghost Nation has worked as a sort of plot device before, attacking the Confederates and entirely ignoring William and Dolores, letting them get away. Maybe that one was just a scripted event, but in the present at least they're definitely in service to someone, be that Elsie, Bernard as a back-up plan, and/or Arnold somehow.

Plus, Elsie dying basically offscreen in a moment of horror-movie-esque stupidity would be really disappointing, especially for a character who had demonstrated a good bit of cunning.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

waffles beyond waffles posted:

So who is Ford growing in his special vat?
The Elsie that Stubbs will find "alive". :v:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Nill posted:

The Elsie that Stubbs will find "alive". :v:

Y'know, considering that this place has the tech to make murderbots indistinguishable from humans, I'm kinda okay with all that information being solely under Ford's control. He's a monster and mega-rear end in a top hat, but at least all he wants to do is play god in his park. I shudder to think what a corporation would do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

grilldos posted:

Charlotte is so noticeably terribly written and acted that at this point she better be a shoddily thrown together robot.

Yeah for as much as I like this show it sucks that half the plots involve lovely writing and actors. Its a bummer that Maeve is shaping up to be a major character in the series because every scene she's in is intolerable.

• Locked thread