Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ImpAtom posted:

Does anyone know the name of the loving awesome combat theme that plays sometimes? It's incredibly fast paced and I god damned love it.

Loading times are among the worst I've ever seen, the soundtrack is pretty excellent.

Stand Your Ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_CsijQsYY4

or maybe

Hunt or Be Hunted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6elXlTYy0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stumpus posted:

Sounds like everyone is really enjoying this game which makes me excited for when I finally get it. How are the loading times though? How's the soundtrack?

Those are a few of my favorite final fantasy things. I am kind of bummed though that there isn't pay building in this game like in previous.

Loading times are long, but you don't actually have to load very often at all. Most of the game is running around and it manages to seamlessly stream data once you're in. You only have to load when you start and then when you hit major quest moments that take you to entire other zones.

The soundtrack is PHENOMENAL and also includes the soundtracks from most previous FFs if those strike your fancy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I love that they actually licensed official Cup Noodles for the game :) And that Gladio loves them so much.
Japan seems to love licensing food and drinks. Look at Yakuza.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually lamenting the lack of Bestiary in this game. Being able to remember the weakness of the same dogs that pounce on me for the 18th time would be great if I could actually do it.

Meanwhile I'm glad that frog lady has finally graduated me to killing stuff instead of pixel hunting. Dog tag guy is still stuck on his shtick though.

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009
Is there any point to buying the Season Pass now? Or is it all content that is coming later?

Trying to track down a Gold Chocobo Regalia code which seems pretty rare, did Amazon send that code to all pre-orders or was there something else to it?

Gameplay-wise, the soundtrack has been outstanding so far.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Downtime posted:

Is there any point to buying the Season Pass now? Or is it all content that is coming later?

Trying to track down a Gold Chocobo Regalia code which seems pretty rare, did Amazon send that code to all pre-orders or was there something else to it?

Gameplay-wise, the soundtrack has been outstanding so far.

It was a pre-order code that Amazon sent out separate from the code to start the Road Trip DLC stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm actually lamenting the lack of Bestiary in this game. Being able to remember the weakness of the same dogs that pounce on me for the 18th time would be great if I could actually do it.

Meanwhile I'm glad that frog lady has finally graduated me to killing stuff instead of pixel hunting. Dog tag guy is still stuck on his shtick though.

There's an Ignis skill that auto-identifies weaknesses, maybe try that.

Downtime posted:

I think its all coming later, although the first bit should be before long.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It was Hunt or Be Hunted, thanks. That one is frigging great.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It should pop up when you lock on to them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zaphod42 posted:

There's an Ignis skill that auto-identifies weaknesses, maybe try that.

Already got that, it's more that the weakness indicator isn't constantly on-screen. I mean it's not a big deal unless you're slinging magic, since physical weaknesses are easy to identify.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I heard the patches were supposed to add a bestiary but maybe that wasn't true

Downtime
Sep 25, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It was a pre-order code that Amazon sent out separate from the code to start the Road Trip DLC stuff.

Thanks for the clarification. Should have just pre-ordered for the code and cancelled.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Already got that, it's more that the weakness indicator isn't constantly on-screen. I mean it's not a big deal unless you're slinging magic, since physical weaknesses are easy to identify.

You could try wait mode so you can calmly select your target. Not ideal, but probably better than what you've been dealing with.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanillaGorilla posted:

Just wrapped up the story - finished at around 40 hours, with the party at around level 50. Did a bunch of side stuff, but nowhere near all. Time to go back and do post-game now.

Thoughts:

Chapter 13 was as big a drag as people have been saying. Stick it out, though, because Chapters 14 + 15 make up for it. Seriously, though, I have no idea who thought 13 was a good idea.

The biggest disappointment with this game is seeing the places where they could have built it out, but didn't - likely because the development was hosed. If that 10 years had gone to making an explorable continent around Altissia and - especially - having the World of Ruin explorable as the second half of the game , this probably would go down in the top 5 Final Fantasy games.

Maybe DLC? Who knows.

Yeah, I'm still on Chapter 2 and it's very clear where and how the game's dangling threads were hacked off to make room for something actually playable. I still have trouble putting it down, though, even though it's disjointed and janky and often ugly as sin.

If nothing else FFXV is really interesting as an examination into how a game developer salvages a project that had gone totally out of control with its own ambition. Tabata and co. pasted together what cutscenes they had, SE released Brotherhood and Kingsglaive to paper over some of more crucial missing story bits, and the rest of the game is basically cored out to make room for as much actual gameplay as possible.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Broke down and canceled my cheapo Xbone order and picked this up on the way home tonight; MS still hadn't shipped what I pre-ordered a week ago. Playing it on a PlayStation though, at least it feels like a proper FF :toot:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Meiteron posted:

Someone explain to me how to approach combat because I don't think I'm getting it.

Basically every fight in the first 3-4 hours so far has been groups of 6-10 enemies in a giant roiling clusterfuck and I can visually interpret what's going on maybe 5% of the time. My bros are off doing things, I'm swinging my weapons at something I presume and then three enemies that were off screen dive in and hit me with something from the side. Sometimes I'll get a block warning, sometimes I won't, and the game seems to have a liberal interpretation of when I'm actually hitting the block button in response to those warnings.

I got some kind of air jump move branching off from the circle combo, which I guess I'm using but I never actually see it do things, and some abilities which give benefits if you time a dodge properly. I'm regretting those now, because I can see enemy telegraphs occasionally but with the way fights are happening they're almost always lost in visual noise.

None of this has caused problems yet because the fights, so far, have been fairly easy and I've never been in serious danger, but I expect that won't be true for the entire game. I'm just... not sure what I'm supposed to be doing beyond holding circle, emptying my tech bar, and occasionally pitching a sword at a far away enemy.

Also, as an aside, how did the current lock on system make it through three goddamn demos? Two buttons to lock onto something? Jesus.

I'm using Control Scheme B, so I can't speak for A or C, but it's only one button to lock on for me (R1). You can also click R3 to permanently lock on, I think, but I've never done it out of habit.

For the most part, provided you have Mp, you can hold the defense button (L1 for me) and just keep holding square or whatever to chain attacks together and you'll auto-dodge if you're holding L1, but that won't protect you from oens that give you a button prompt. I'd say get used to three hit chains and then repositioning, both because you'll get a damage boost for getting off a chain without getting hurt (once you unlock that perk) and because you want to try and stay behind things (at least bigger things) for the flank bonus.

When everyone is grouped up like that, your best option is to either use the greatsword and do some sweeping poo poo or just warp out and hang there on a wall for a bit. If you're hanging youll almost never be targeted by anything so you can scope out where the ranged targets are, if there are any, or you can just wait and try and pick off people outside the huge death ball. Also, if you're not in the group, they'll just swarm your friends instead, so that gives you time to wail on things without getting hit.

Most importantly (arguably), warping out completely refills your MP, which will be depleting as you dodge/do poo poo anyway.

If you have time and/or care, learn animation canceling, because once you know it you can do some dumb DMC poo poo with it and take on enemies 20-30 levels higher than you are.

Also, I personally play with WAIT mode, I know not everyone likes it but it's invaluable, especially in giant clusterfuck groups. (The Ramuh dungeon in particular has a ridiculously hectic group with priority mobs that are usually surrounded, so being able to warp out and observe is great)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Prompto can take some pretty weird pics

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ImpAtom posted:

It was Hunt or Be Hunted, thanks. That one is frigging great.

I actually like Stand Your Ground a lot better but yeah they're both pretty kickin'/

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Hey I'm in Lestallum, and I had thought I'd read you could buy music CDs here, but I can't find a store that sells them. Where can I buy more CDs?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hey I'm in Lestallum, and I had thought I'd read you could buy music CDs here, but I can't find a store that sells them. Where can I buy more CDs?

Most often it's the standard item vendors at gas stations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wish there was a way to disable the filters Prompto unlocks. Those are cool and all but... some of them just look really blown out. I'd rather just have clear screenshots, thanks dude.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Random vendors all around will have them. I think X was from a vendor at Galdin Quay? VI from Taelpar Rest Area in Duscae, uhh I have 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 10 and 13 but I can't remember where I got them all sorry.

Its easy to miss a vendor so there's probably just some guy who has CDs you didn't realize. They're on a different tab from some stuff, they count as car gear I think. Any random vendor can have them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So, um, how many of these "Question Mark" sidequests are actually worth doing? Because gee that's way too much experience for feeding a cat.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I wish there was a way to disable the filters Prompto unlocks. Those are cool and all but... some of them just look really blown out. I'd rather just have clear screenshots, thanks dude.

In the menu under Archives>Photos>Filters you can change the frequency or disable the filters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stumpus posted:

Sounds like everyone is really enjoying this game which makes me excited for when I finally get it. How are the loading times though? How's the soundtrack?

Those are a few of my favorite final fantasy things. I am kind of bummed though that there isn't pay building in this game like in previous.

Load times are over a minute when you're loading a save. Otherwise it's like 20-ish seconds for fast travel or the occasional setting change. Every other scene change is almost instantaneous so you're never waiting long setting up camp or whatever.

Original soundtrack is good. It's kind of forgettable in that movie-background-soundtrack way but some tracks stand out. The walking around song is a slower remix of Altissia theme because entering a menu or really just anything happening in the game world at all will fade the song out and it'll be a minute of complete quiet before they fade something back in. It's a very cinematic sound design and I miss the videogame-y ness of it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 1, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Just look around in general stores, yeah. FFV's is at the shack in Galdin Quay, for example. So far at the very start of Chapter 3 (plot-progression-wise), I've found that, II, and III.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any trick to Justice Monsters Five or is it just slightly more involved pinball?

Also how do I do the Warp Dropkick and Warp spell that the patch notes mentioned? They're not in the Ascension skill trees.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game is REAL WEIRD, driving a normal car around and staying in trailers in gas stations is bizarre for a Final Fantasy game, but I kind of love it. All of the characters are likeable enough, especially by Final Fantasy standards, and I just decked out the Pimpmobile with purple interior and gold rims and a sweet decal and bought a bunch of fat beats for the radio.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Just look around in general stores, yeah. FFV's is at the shack in Galdin Quay, for example. So far at the very start of Chapter 3 (plot-progression-wise), I've found that, II, and III.

Hammerhead sells some as well. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled for shops to get your hit of fresh music.

At this stage my only major complaint is there aren't enough outfits for me to dress the boys up in and Cids eyesight is apparently gone to poo poo because he lets Cidney out in public like that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sick shot.

I was running around in the zone near the huge walled off city thing? in the first zone, just beatin up some doggos, and suddenly I notice my poo poo is getting pushed in, and I'm like what the gently caress? I wreck these level 2 doggos normally?? I'm level 12

Then I activated wait timer and I somehow spawned a loving lvl 15 Cactaur. He dodge a whole lot, but it seems this one doesn't just immediately run away, he's just a bitch to hit, even warp strike half the time he dodges.

Killed him though, for a 5000xp boost. Holy poo poo that rules.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Hammerhead sells some as well. You just gotta keep your eyes peeled for shops to get your hit of fresh music.

At this stage my only major complaint is there aren't enough outfits for me to dress the boys up in and Cids eyesight is apparently gone to poo poo because he lets Cidney out in public like that.

Look, Cid just raised his granddaughter entirely on cheap Cinemax films and she thinks that outfit is perfectly normal.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude how did you have no idea elixirs exist and you're level 22? The shops that sell potions sell phoenix downs and elixirs. You just have to read the item description to figure out how all this works. (or the tutorial :v: but I skipped it and still figured it out)

I guess I read the description as "restores HP & MP" vs. potions HP only and didn't realize there was a bit in there about ALSO restoring max HP. I didn't read max HP and correlate it to that grey bar in my life. It took going into a dungeon and realizing that the white bar was so short I couldn't live my life that it dawned on me to try to figure out how to restore it.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ImpAtom posted:

Look, Cid just raised his granddaughter entirely on cheap Cinemax films and she thinks that outfit is perfectly normal.

I want to see the web comic where Noctis shows up in Hammerhead with his bros, Cindy washes his windshield, Noctis jumps out of the regalia, waves goodbye to his friends and proceeds to live out the rest of his days in the RV behind the diner with Cindy.

I also want to see the web comic where they're driving down the road all talking about who Prompto is going to take photos of today, Noctis jumps up on the back of the car to chillaxe, and they get t-boned by another car at an intersection and Noctis flies across the road headfirst into a guardrail. Then cut to game over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Traxis posted:

In the menu under Archives>Photos>Filters you can change the frequency or disable the filters.

Oh wow, thanks! :doh:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there no manual photo mode, because if Prompto doesn't take portraits of every cat and dog, he is a terrible photographer

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is there no manual photo mode, because if Prompto doesn't take portraits of every cat and dog, he is a terrible photographer

seriously, I finished that frog catching quest, held the frog out as it looked at me, and thought... good thing Prompto is here to capture this moment. Prompto didn't loving capture the moment

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The problem I have with Wait mode is that it pauses the game even when all the enemies are dead so you have to hold something.

I much prefer real time, but still undecided on the control scheme (A still being my default for now)

I found a dungeon by accident it was super creepy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, Cidney, with your fathers passing its up to me to raise you to be just like him. Here are your starter mechanics tool set and a DVD copy of Final Fantasy: The Sexy Within.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

There is a goon in Lestallum :stonk:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
By the way speaking of max hp, it does regenerate on its own. It's just verrrrry slow.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

There is a goon in Lestallum :stonk:

I was surprised he only wanted shots of landscapes and not creepshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Can you really not obtain the lifesteal sword move that was in the Carbuncle demo? Did they remove directional skills from the game? My apologies if this has been asked before.

• Locked thread