Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BiohazrD posted:

mass effect 3 had the worst ending of all time

hope this helps

Hedrigall, I saw a relatively work appropriate picture on imgur the other day and it immediately brought to you to mind. It had to do with zootopia.
Very weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I was so not aware of that meme until now. I totally tuned out anything Mass Effect after finishing 3 for months. :smith:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Drifter posted:

What's the whole joke surrounding marauder shields? Other enemies had shields no?

I think it was because a lot of people played through on difficulties were marauders didn't have shields but the last marauder always has them.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was so not aware of that meme until now. I totally tuned out anything Mass Effect after finishing 3 for months. :smith:

I was driving in the rain and suddenly thought about the ending to ME3 and yelled, "It's been TWO MONTHS, HOW CAN I STILL BE ANGRY ABOUT THIS?" I was honestly baffled.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Mass Effect changed us man...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think it was because a lot of people played through on difficulties were marauders didn't have shields but the last marauder always has them.

I was driving in the rain and suddenly thought about the ending to ME3 and yelled, "It's been TWO MONTHS, HOW CAN I STILL BE ANGRY ABOUT THIS?" I was honestly baffled.

Seriously, Bioware was a victim of it's hype. They had been pushing the whole "Mass Effect is a Trilogy" since the first game. Then ME2 was great, and everyone started to get really excited. Then the nonstop ME3 press, which often highlighted how many different endings it would have. One person even said it wouldn't just have three buttons to pick an ending. And then the game released. If the ending had been okay or mediocre I still would have been incredibly disappointed. But it was actively bad. Bioware probably could have turned things around even then, but the initial response to the fan outcry was so bad that the bottom just fell out. That's why they have been low key about Andromeda so far. My expectations aren't super high, though I liked Inquisition so I'll probably give the game a shot.

But not at launch. gently caress pre-sales.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sweet geek swag posted:

Seriously, Bioware was a victim of it's hype. They had been pushing the whole "Mass Effect is a Trilogy" since the first game. Then ME2 was great, and everyone started to get really excited. Then the nonstop ME3 press, which often highlighted how many different endings it would have. One person even said it wouldn't just have three buttons to pick an ending. And then the game released. If the ending had been okay or mediocre I still would have been incredibly disappointed. But it was actively bad. Bioware probably could have turned things around even then, but the initial response to the fan outcry was so bad that the bottom just fell out. That's why they have been low key about Andromeda so far. My expectations aren't super high, though I liked Inquisition so I'll probably give the game a shot.

I remember that. Thankfully, I lived through Molyneux's Black & White. I was a member of their forums for gently caress's sake...and I posted game news on a website. :suicide:

Nothing hurts anymore. I lived through the WW2 of videogames.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Drifter posted:

I remember that. Thankfully, I lived through Molyneux's Black & White. I was a member of their forums for gently caress's sake...and I posted game news on a website. :suicide:

Nothing hurts anymore. I lived through the WW2 of videogames.

ME3 was worse because the core gameplay was a considerable improvement on ME2 and 1 so you figured they were gonna nail it but every story beat was handled badly and it slowly piled on poo poo like the dream sequences and lack of dialogue control until you were like "hrmmm this isn't right" and then it pulled its dick out and smeared the ending on your face.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Nah, the Tuchunka / Genophage stuff worked pretty well and really did have a fair bit of variation based on how the previous game(s) were played. Mordin's replacement is actually a distinct character from him, which is a far cry from the laziness of the ending.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ Mordins...replacement...???
What the hell was wrong with you?

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

ME3 was worse because the core gameplay was a considerable improvement on ME2 and 1 so you figured they were gonna nail it but every story beat was handled badly and it slowly piled on poo poo like the dream sequences and lack of dialogue control until you were like "hrmmm this isn't right" and then it pulled its dick out and smeared the ending on your face.

No gently caress that I wanted a giant monkey baby to be my friend and help me destroy the world but I got some lovely breakdancing cow that kept getting rained on and farted a lot. :mad:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah, the Tuchunka / Genophage stuff worked pretty well and really did have a fair bit of variation based on how the previous game(s) were played. Mordin's replacement is actually a distinct character from him, which is a far cry from the laziness of the ending.

The genophage stuff was the only good portion of the game. The remainder was shorty reaper invasion portions and loving Kai Leng lmao

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I remember after ME3 came out i was working long nights and after beating the campaign I just played multi for like 3 months and when i came back to the waking world everyone was going batshit crazy over the ME3 ending and I was just like holy gently caress how is this even a thing like who cares it wasn't that bad goddamn lazy recolor oh well time to do some vanguard plat runs.

And like years later it's still this event that has dominated the thread and people are still mad about it and it's like dude didn't you play the multi tho?!?!?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

sweet geek swag posted:

Casey Hudson was quite openly lying about ME3 even like a week before release. It's incredible.

I don't think it's fair to say that Bioware was a victim of its own hype. ME1 was great, especially for its time. ME2 was a huge improvement on every front and is rightly considered one of their best releases, if not the best. There were novels, comics, tie-in novels, even talk of a Mass Effect film, as well as a whole lot of opining that Mass Effect could be the Star Trek of this generation. Mass Effect was a massive hit, and the hype was well-deserved, but Bioware proceeded to mismanage the whole franchise to a rather baffling extent.

The novels were of a generally poor quality, even for tie-in works. They either told us things we already knew, as Revelation did, or were tied up with the Reaper metaplot but never offered anything definitive (which would be contradicted come ME3). A lot of the time they revolved around The Illusive Man and Aria, clearly painting them as someone's pet characters. If the novels weren't bad enough, then you had the comics which tended to focus on Kai Leng and Cerberus and featured very poor art at times. For such a huge sprawling universe that had grabbed legions of players, Bioware's creative team seemed content to give everyone more of the same, but not even the fun type of same. All they did was make the universe feel smaller. The movie - Paragon Lost - was also a bit of a wasted effort with its focus on Vega's backstory and, again, Cerberus. The two-year time gap where Shepard was dead, with heaps of potential divorced from the overarching plot and characters, was never touched.

In general, 2012 was not a good year for the Mass Effect brand. ME3 was released and Bioware, in defiance of conventional logic that all they had to do was stick a cinematic landing to ensure ME's success as a franchise, proceeded to shoot for the moon and blow everything up. "Admirable, but mistaken."

But what was also an event that sent ripples through fan communities was the release of Mass Effect: Deception, what'd be the final novel. The novel was comically bad, with errors and problems that made it quite clear that the author knew nothing about the universe beyond a brief look through the wiki (if you're being generous) and that Bioware (or EA) wasn't exerting any form of quality control. The reception of the novel was so poor that Bioware claimed that the publisher would be working on a new edition of the novel to fix up the errors, of which there were many. This second edition never appeared to materialise.

So, the trilogy ended poorly and the fans, if they wanted more Mass Effect, were forced to go out and consume really bad products. I have no doubt that a lot of the impetus behind Andromeda was some EA exec commanding Bioware to fix up their money train.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 1, 2016

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I totally forgot about the book lmao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I totally forgot about the book lmao

It's a pretty good one-two punch.

The average gamer gets a whirlwind about how bad the trilogy ended, and the hardcore Mass Effect fan gets a book where the author didn't seem to even learn basic facts like that quarians wear sealed suits and puts a Tantalus drive core on a Batarian slaver ship.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Hedrigall, I saw a relatively work appropriate picture on imgur the other day and it immediately brought to you to mind. It had to do with zootopia.
Very weird.

Can I help it if I'm so memorable? :3:

Oh and pls link the picture or PM it I dunno

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

quote:

What happened next came as a complete surprise to the krogan as Gillain triggered the biotic power called “charge”. Rather than running away from the guards Gillian pounded straight at them. Within the space of three steps her body became a blur and she could feel additional strength coursing through her body as she hit one of the reptiles and sent the brute flying.

Yep. Okay.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - the biotic power called "charge".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That sounds badass.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have long since forgiven Mass Effect 3 for ending badly. It was fun being mad about it with everybody else, but in the end, that one really terrible cringingly desperate advertisement for the Extended Cut was right: it was the journey, not the destination.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
It wasn't just the ending of ME3 that was bad, it was also the journey

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Say what you will, but Mass Effect 3 was still pretty fun, for all its faults. I'm glad I got it for 30 bucks.

Hedrigall posted:

Can I help it if I'm so memorable? :3:

Oh and pls link the picture or PM it I dunno

I looked for a while but there's really no way I could find the pic, so I quick and dirty put it together in Gimp. Rest assured, the original one was much better with regards to colors and fonts and matching pictures. It's the exact same joke, though. Let's face it, some of your posts in the Ani thread get a little :catstare:.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I don't get it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I'm most confused by that bottom right knot. Like, that's gotta be a clip on. How else would you get that many folds right where the knot is?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'm most confused by that bottom right knot. Like, that's gotta be a clip on. How else would you get that many folds right where the knot is?

It's called an eldredge knot, and it works best if you also wear a fedora and a goatee. And then kill yourself. It's a terrible knot.
http://www.ties.com/how-to-tie-a-tie/eldredge

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Say what you will, but Mass Effect 3 was still pretty fun, for all its faults. I'm glad I got it for 30 bucks.

I looked for a while but there's really no way I could find the pic, so I quick and dirty put it together in Gimp. Rest assured, the original one was much better with regards to colors and fonts and matching pictures. It's the exact same joke, though. Let's face it, some of your posts in the Ani thread get a little :catstare:.

Jesus :ughh:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

Yep. Okay.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - the biotic power called "charge".

did a literal child write this for a school project?

And then get an F?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's the The Glove of Darth Vader of the Mass Effect universe. There's something special about the fact that the franchise is big enough to have a truly awful tie-in novel that blatantly disregards canon.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's called an eldredge knot, and it works best if you also wear a fedora and a goatee. And then kill yourself. It's a terrible knot.
http://www.ties.com/how-to-tie-a-tie/eldredge

The Eldredge in that picture is horribly done and it's actually a good knot. That's why nerds have dragged it down to the pits of Tartarus because they run cool poo poo into the ground.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I thought it was the perfect tie-in for ME3's level of plot.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
how was the mass effect anime?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm replaying Mass Effect , and I'm enjoying it even though it's kind of a giant mess.

1) The inventory system is just the dumbest thing in the world. Every item has like 100 variants that are just the same 2 models with different colors and random % variations to the stats. The sheer volume of junk items you get to sell or melt down into omi-gel is comical, the game has to give you like a 150 item inventory to make it work.

2) The driving is just comical. BOING BOING BONG BOING

3) The side missions are basically the same 4 interior cells copy-pasted 100 times with maybe a conversation at the end.

4) The writing and voice acting starts out really rough in this series, I didn't remember FemShep's voice acting and dialogue being this disjointed. It's not all bad but they were clearly still kind of figuring out what they were doing.

Even so I still like it, though I'm getting a little impatient to finish it so I can get to ME2.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Bad, Vega's recap of the events in ME3 was more enjoyable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zzulu posted:

As bad as the dead space and Dantes inferno animes. EA licenses bad cheap animes with horrible artwork and less animated frames than an episode of berserk

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
All anime is bad

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

All anime is bad

Agreed

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Moola posted:

i'm sexually attracted to the ending of me3

coprophilia

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

sean10mm posted:

I'm replaying Mass Effect , and I'm enjoying it even though it's kind of a giant mess.

1) The inventory system is just the dumbest thing in the world. Every item has like 100 variants that are just the same 2 models with different colors and random % variations to the stats. The sheer volume of junk items you get to sell or melt down into omi-gel is comical, the game has to give you like a 150 item inventory to make it work.

2) The driving is just comical. BOING BOING BONG BOING

3) The side missions are basically the same 4 interior cells copy-pasted 100 times with maybe a conversation at the end.

4) The writing and voice acting starts out really rough in this series, I didn't remember FemShep's voice acting and dialogue being this disjointed. It's not all bad but they were clearly still kind of figuring out what they were doing.

Even so I still like it, though I'm getting a little impatient to finish it so I can get to ME2.

ENEMIES EVERYWHERE!
I WILL DESTROY YOU!
GO GO GO!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

When is this gameplay preview supposed go live?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Moola posted:

i'm sexually attracted to the ending of me3

Proof that Moola likes to get hosed in the end. :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Drifter posted:

no bones about it posted:

I don't get it.

This is some good poo poo :furcry::fh: