Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

So, serious question for a second. I know I've seen the name Chomsky mentioned for years in leftist circles, but I never really looked into his work. I saw Requiem For The American Dream a couple of weeks ago and thought it was amazing. Am I just behind the times? Or is he some sort of extremest that most people just roll their eyes at? I guess, what I'm asking is, why doesn't he get talked about more or am I just ignorant about the topic?

just go read some Chomsky, make your friends read Chomsky, make your family read Chomsky, make your pets read some Chomsky, buy random copies of Chomsky and give them to strangers, spread Chomsky all over your FB and twitter and instagram and snapchat.

I was joking at first, but a major part of Goldwater and crazy conservatives gaining traction was people buying crazy conservative books and pamphlets for everybody. the left should probably be doing some of that. then again no one reads anymore so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

comingafteryouall posted:

just go read some Chomsky, make your friends read Chomsky, make your family read Chomsky, make your pets read some Chomsky, buy random copies of Chomsky and give them to strangers, spread Chomsky all over your FB and twitter and instagram and snapchat.

I was joking at first, but a major part of Goldwater and crazy conservatives gaining traction was people buying crazy conservative books and pamphlets for everybody. the left should probably be doing some of that. then again no one reads anymore so...

I am woefully not up on Chomsky as well. I thought the dude was just a linguist until recently. Where should you start with his work?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Serf posted:

I am woefully not up on Chomsky as well. I thought the dude was just a linguist until recently. Where should you start with his work?

his books that I have are in my office so I'd have to check tomorrow! the ones I have are from random used book stores so I don't know if they're considered his greatest works but he is a vocal critic of capitalism and US foreign policy.

he has a newer one that I just ordered that looks pretty relevant.

quote:

In this pathbreaking work, now with a new introduction, Edward S. Herman and Noam Chomsky show that, contrary to the usual image of the news media as cantankerous, obstinate, and ubiquitous in their search for truth and defense of justice, in their actual practice they defend the economic, social, and political agendas of the privileged groups that dominate domestic society, the state, and the global order.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375714499/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

edit: that moment when you realize you were thinking "newer one" and it's 14 years old at this point...

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Serf posted:

Manufacturing Consent is his most accessible work. There's even a documentary version if you're lazy and don't want to read a million footnotes about East Timor.

There are two things to remember about Chomsky: (1) nobody is going to be able to effectively summarize his work in a forum post, and (2) he's nowhere near as radical as he or his critics would like to pretend.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

quote:

Part of the problem is that in a way nothing SHOULD be done for THEM specifically; they should leave the countryside and move to the cities and the remainder should only exist for services and jobs that can be sustained in consolidated communities; like servicing wealthy retirees.

:catstare:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Well What Now posted:

the #animeright

just let it all end in fire already

hi

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

there are a couple of good chomsky readers because not everything valuable he had to say was about the media and intellectual classes obviously, but manufacturing consent is very easy to get into and important. there's even a film

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

Manufacturing Consent is his most accessible work. There's even a documentary version if you're lazy and don't want to read a million footnotes about East Timor.

There are two things to remember about Chomsky: (1) nobody is going to be able to effectively summarize his work in a forum post, and (2) he's nowhere near as radical as he or his critics would like to pretend.

Why was East Timor such a critical topic for Chomsky in Manufacturing Consent, which I have not seen? but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more before watching it.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Joementum posted:

burgin pretty hard right now

good to see username slapfights are just as effective on twitter as they are most places

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Nonsense posted:

Why was East Timor such a critical topic for Chomsky in Manufacturing Consent, which I have not seen? but I wouldn't mind knowing a little more before watching it.

its true the east timor thing really wasn't covered well by the western press but chomsky made a big mistake by saying the khmer rouge stuff had inflated death tolls for propaganda purposes which turned out to be the opposite of true and so now he has the label of khmer rouge apologist among people who like to harp on the one thing he was spectacularly wrong about. i forget how that connects to east timor sorry, i thought they were related in some way but maybe not like he used them as a comparison? i dont remember

Olga Gurlukovich has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Dec 1, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nonsense posted:

At the time, the Clinton administration was denying complicity in the genocide.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Concerned Citizen posted:

reid and pelosi have done a good job and i think people will miss reid a lot while chuck schumer is in charge. saying "oh we lost better wipe out everyone" is dumb, and in all likelihood you will end up with someone even worse. the issue democrats face is not with their elected leadership largely, it is with the invisible consultant class that writes, tests, and polls the messaging and strategy on behalf of democratic candidates and campaign committees. there have been serious flaws since the emergence of message testing in both parties. i think they've been able to cover up the issues in 2010 and 2014 by pointing to obama's elections and saying "we just need to solve the midterm turnout problem!" now 2016 has left no doubt that we need to reform the message as well, and that turnout is not even the largest issue.
Why do you keep saying things are dumb that no one here (or anywhere that I can tell) is seriously advocating?

Where is this from?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Why do you keep saying things are dumb that no one here (or anywhere that I can tell) is seriously advocating?

Where is this from?

the uspol hole

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i have these
https://www.amazon.com/Understandin...5YQF73AHRT43R29
https://www.amazon.com/Anarchism-Noam-Chomsky/dp/1595589104/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480567654&sr=8-1&keywords=chomsky+anarchism
and think they are good

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Where is this from?

Guessing a 3 olives thread

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Guessing a 3 olives thread

no mention of parking, or the homeless.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
At a very young age our children are being encouraged to talk about their individual identities, even before they have them. By the time they reach college many assume that diversity discourse exhausts political discourse, and have shockingly little to say about such perennial questions as class, war, the economy and the common good.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
CEREAL NAZIS distracted y'all from serving the motherfucking greater good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

cereal nazis are way funnier than the greater good

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

also it seems like we have a lot of say about all of those things, but they are also not things the rich like to hear so it might as well be just a light breeze

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Baloogan posted:

that's why i switched my breakfast cereal to maga crisps, twice as much greater good per serving than any cereal made by kellogs

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Joementum posted:

(3) his well-justified distaste and suspicion of US foreign policy has led him to make some bizarre statements like that he was always right about the events in Khmer Rouge Cambodia despite ardently supporting a book that downplayed the nightmares that Pol Pot and his crew were unleashing. Also his cohort Ed Herman has some very questionable views about what happened in the Balkans during the '90s.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Internet Explorer posted:

So, serious question for a second. I know I've seen the name Chomsky mentioned for years in leftist circles, but I never really looked into his work. I saw Requiem For The American Dream a couple of weeks ago and thought it was amazing. Am I just behind the times? Or is he some sort of extremest that most people just roll their eyes at? I guess, what I'm asking is, why doesn't he get talked about more or am I just ignorant about the topic?

Chomsky is the smartest person in the world, if you ever want a reason to hate a us president just read whatever Chomsky wrote about them.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Start with Manufacturing Consent, then Hegemony and Survival, then Failed States.

Also read howard zinn's people's history of the united states if you havent

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I'm glad that his garbage books exist, they're great signs of whose political opinions aren't worth listening to.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Some liberals on my Facebook feed are sharing this "Hamilton electors" thing, in which electors are urged to write in a "reasonable Republican." Is this another one of the harebrained loophole schemes or does this actually have legs?

http://www.hamiltonelectors.com/#masthead

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nikitakhrushchev posted:

Some liberals on my Facebook feed are sharing this "the video game DOOM electors" thing, in which electors are urged to write in a "reasonable Republican." Is this another one of the harebrained loophole schemes or does this actually have legs?

http://www.the

This post with this extension owns

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
If it involves electoral college shenanigans it's harebrained by default.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

I think cause chomskys maybe the most prominent voice of like 'america was never great' and like 'modern american foreign policy is based on a hosed up continuous almost nonpartisan ideology that the so called inteligencia is complicit in' he gets a lot of poo poo from people who agree w/his facts but not the way he puts them together. so for people who are even a little bit invested in like patriotism and pax americana they see that as a seriously radical thing when its really not.

the more valid critique i think is that he spreads himself too thin and that can lead to the occasional embarrassing catastrophic mistake like the khmer rouge thing.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
No it won't happen because it hasn't happened in the 250 years of this country, outside a small handful of protest electors who have made no difference in the result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector#List_of_faithless_electors

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Celery Jello posted:

If it involves electoral college shenanigans it's harebrained by default.

I figured. A lot of people are falling for this stuff in lieu of actually preparing for a Trump presidency, it seems.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Yinlock posted:

"god drat it, another victim. face down in a loving bowl of cereal"

"same as the rest?"

"yes, a deadly balanced breakfast overdose"

"we need to get on the trail of the Frosted Flakes Killer before we lose anyone else"

*in the next building over, a man wearing a bloody tiger skin slowly lowers his binoculars*

"they're great"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

no sorry chomsky is wrong
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/11/chomsky-zizek-wrong-elections-161129090634539.html

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

i didnt read the article but well he's also like 132 years old

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Reminder:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Kill me now

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I figured. A lot of people are falling for this stuff in lieu of actually preparing for a Trump presidency, it seems.

How much of a difference could 2 weeks make to the month between the electoral decision and the inauguration?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ScrubLeague posted:

No it won't happen because it hasn't happened in the 250 years of this country, outside a small handful of protest electors who have made no difference in the result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector#List_of_faithless_electors

This is an election that was defined by things that have never happened before, you're gonna have to do better than pointing to another one and saying "can't happen".

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
even if you had enough faithless electors to get trump below 270 electoral votes, you'd just end up kicking the vote to the republican-gerrymandered house of representatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

my horrible position/thinking/nervous laughter up till the 8th, put to print.

• Locked thread