Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

Praise Sheng-ji Yang, I cannot wait to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

I mean he did vote for Jill Stein because he blames Obama, personally, for deportation, so I'm willing to chalk this one up to stopped clock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Grondoth posted:

Prob nothing, but the DNC needs to be swept clean.

honestly the issue at hand is not with the democratic congressional leadership. reid and pelosi have done a good job and i think people will miss reid a lot while chuck schumer is in charge. saying "oh we lost better wipe out everyone" is dumb, and in all likelihood you will end up with someone even worse. the issue democrats face is not with their elected leadership largely, it is with the invisible consultant class that writes, tests, and polls the messaging and strategy on behalf of democratic candidates and campaign committees. there have been serious flaws since the emergence of message testing in both parties. i think they've been able to cover up the issues in 2010 and 2014 by pointing to obama's elections and saying "we just need to solve the midterm turnout problem!" now 2016 has left no doubt that we need to reform the message as well, and that turnout is not even the largest issue.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

radical meme posted:

I've been reflecting on this since the 9th and this election is eerily reminiscient of the Nixon election.

I wish we could have elected a Richard Nixon again. In this crazy world we live in Tricky Dick would end up being a democratic -- he created the EPA, ended the draft, enforced desegregation and engaged the soviets over nuclear weapons. Would that all of our bushes and trumps were replaced by the likes of him

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Aside from regularly saying "look at this bad thing Trump did, here it is" and "Man Trump seems a lot like Hitler, here's how he's like Hitler" what would you like journalists to do? Try to pretend there wasn't a Republican nominee for President?

"Here is why everything that Trump has said is bullshit on every single level and if it could be implemented, would only make things worse for everyone in America" and then punching anyone who says the word emails in the face seems appropriate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Yinlock posted:

I mean he did vote for Jill Stein because he blames Obama, personally, for deportation, so I'm willing to chalk this one up to stopped clock

its kind of amazing how bad the left is at cause and effect

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/803978693819465728

Powerful Hillarymen

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Fulchrum posted:

then punching anyone who says the word emails in the face seems appropriate.

Yes, because evading FOIA is nothing.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I wish we could have elected a Richard Nixon again. In this crazy world we live in Tricky Dick would end up being a democratic -- he created the EPA, ended the draft, enforced desegregation and engaged the soviets over nuclear weapons. Would that all of our bushes and trumps were replaced by the likes of him

He did all of those because dems controlled both houses.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
nixon got some good legislation through, but he did so prior to the emergence of the modern right-wing. he was still racist as hell, which it turns out as a big deal at that time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

if anything, trump's election reminds me of the 2003 recall election in california.

you had:
  • a charismatic populist who was mired in sex-related scandals on the right (schwarzenegger then, trump now), an establishment democrat who ran a mismanaged campaign on the left (cruz bustamante then, hillary clinton now).
  • the existing democratic administration was tarred with poo poo that was caused by the previous republican administration (california electrical utilities getting hosed over by literal enron because of wilson's deregulation mania then, the obama administration's neutered response to the gfc because of the congressional republicans and tea party, now)
  • a dash of anti-immigrant nativism (john and ken types hollering about "drivers licenses for illegal immigrants" then, trump's wall, now.)
  • an extremely crowded field that gave the celebrity candidate who benefitted from some kind name recognition a huge advantage.
  • a media environment that treated the whole thing as a huge joke.

That said, Schwarzenegger is actually a pretty smart dude (actually self-made, too) and as someone with no experience he did an OK job as governor, especially considering the mess he inherited from his predecessor. The jury is still out on Trump but all signs point to breathtaking disaster.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mugrim posted:

Yes, because evading FOIA is nothing.

Yeah, they should have raked Powell across the coals when he was doing that, but I'm unclear what the gently caress that has to do with Hillary.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/804092669802778624

gotta get on this chick's level

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/carl_diggler/status/804086439151542272

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

relevant to earlier discussion in this thread
https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/804075907551989761

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Yeah, they should have raked Powell across the coals when he was doing that, but I'm unclear what the gently caress that has to do with Hillary.
"Two wrongs make a right" - A thing that Fulchrum, presumably a grown-rear end person is arguing

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

honestly the issue at hand is not with the democratic congressional leadership. reid and pelosi have done a good job and i think people will miss reid a lot while chuck schumer is in charge. saying "oh we lost better wipe out everyone" is dumb, and in all likelihood you will end up with someone even worse. the issue democrats face is not with their elected leadership largely, it is with the invisible consultant class that writes, tests, and polls the messaging and strategy on behalf of democratic candidates and campaign committees. there have been serious flaws since the emergence of message testing in both parties. i think they've been able to cover up the issues in 2010 and 2014 by pointing to obama's elections and saying "we just need to solve the midterm turnout problem!" now 2016 has left no doubt that we need to reform the message as well, and that turnout is not even the largest issue.

That's why I said DNC not congress. But yeah I can see how I could be misunderstood. These PR hacks and marketing washouts need to be purged. I'm even thinking we should start pushing Brazlie out so we can have the election sooner and push the momentum of "you fuckers lost to trump" be pushed right into that.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

GlyphGryph posted:

Its funny that antigun dems deny they want to take away anyones guns but then, when pressed or even when not pressed, admit they really do want to.

I use to be antigun, but the idiocy of the antigun crowd has definitely sent me far over to the other side, where I am considering spending time at the target range next year.

It's a shame too because there's a lot you could do to reduce gun violence without banning anything, like the "treat guns like cars" approach. I'm a gun owner and I'd be fine with something like that but anti-gun politicians just go for dumb poo poo like the AWB.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

https://twitter.com/carl_diggler/status/803677792818921472

this dude seems legit.

e:

quote:

After his violent and misogynistic campaign, Sanders enacted a devious plot to sink the Democratic ticket by pretending to campaign for Hillary. Bernie knew that he was so tragically unpopular that just by appearing on the same dais as Hillary to scream about the “corrupt bankuhs” and the price of soup, he would send the Hillary’s poll numbers crashing. Well, mission accomplished, Bernie.

Subjunctivitis has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Dec 1, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

"Here is why everything that Trump has said is bullshit on every single level and if it could be implemented, would only make things worse for everyone in America" and then punching anyone who says the word emails in the face seems appropriate.

This is a dumb and unserious answer, and I'd prefer it if you just deleted this post. It's embarrassing.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Fulchrum posted:

If your moral defense is that the guy who helped cover up mi Lai did it too, you have serious issues.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

This is some next level parody

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Haha he even threw in a Chapo reference.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

"Two wrongs make a right" - A thing that Fulchrum, presumably a grown-rear end person is arguing

mugrim posted:

If your moral defense is that the guy who helped cover up mi Lai did it too, you have serious issues.

I had no idea that being accused of attempting to dodge FOIA requests, in spite of any hint of analysis seeing the flaw in that plan, was exactly bad as intentionally dodging foia requests.

This FOIA dodge claim really will not die, will it? But I guess we need to just trust Breitbart articles like "KILLARY email server used to dodge FOIA about Benghazi emails!", I'm sure they were raising valid concerns the people needed to know.

Fulchrum has issued a correction as of 02:23 on Dec 1, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

This is some next level parody

Carl Diggler is a joke project from some of the Chapo Trap House guys- based on a couple of pundits they like to make fun of.

Not to kill the honey pot or anything :-/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
freedom from intelligence act

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Carl Diggler is a joke project from some of the Chapo Trap House guys- based on a couple of pundits they like to make fun of.

Not to kill the honey pot or anything :-/

I know. It owns

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

enraged_camel posted:

That said, Schwarzenegger is actually a pretty smart dude (actually self-made, too) and as someone with no experience he did an OK job as governor, especially considering the mess he inherited from his predecessor. The jury is still out on Trump but all signs point to breathtaking disaster.

i mean, to be fair, Davis got screwed over by literal Enron, the dot com collapse loving up the state budget, and Darrel loving Issa (who later got pushed out of his own goddamn recall election)

and yeah schwarzenegger didn't do that bad of a job other than a special election in 2005 to try and gut the public employee unions that went down in flames, at which point he ran to the left to get re-elected and then spent his second term endorsing things that ended up killing the california GOP.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Instant Sunrise posted:

i mean, to be fair, Davis got screwed over by literal Enron, the dot com collapse loving up the state budget, and Darrel loving Issa (who later got pushed out of his own goddamn recall election)

and yeah schwarzenegger didn't do that bad of a job other than a special election in 2005 to try and gut the public employee unions that went down in flames, at which point he ran to the left to get re-elected and then spent his second term endorsing things that ended up killing the california GOP.

peak schwarzenegger was when he sent a gently caress YOU acrostic to the state assembly

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy poo poo the trap house boys make 24k a month lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bernie bros are joining together resist Trump, while really sad Hill Folk are already waving the white flag and giving up.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

You're being ridiculous, Sarah :smuggo:

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

peak schwarzenegger was when he sent a gently caress YOU acrostic to the state assembly

This becomes less interesting (or more, depending on your point of view) when you find out that the reason he did this was to get back at Tom Ammiano for saying he could "kiss my gay rear end" at a fundraiser. The actual bill passed both houses unanimously, lol.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That Silverman agreed to continue to help out Bernie is good despite convention drama.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nonsense posted:

That Silverman agreed to continue to help out Bernie is good despite convention drama.

There's no words people love to hear more than "you were right."

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

You're being ridiculous, Sarah :smuggo:

"You're a funny girl, Sarah. I like you. When the revolution comes, I'm going to kill you last."

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

Bernie bros are joining together resist Trump, while really sad Hill Folk are already waving the white flag and giving up.

Bernie: "we need to reach out to the people who elected Trump, to convince them that our way is better"

What a brave and daring stand, just the sort of clear thinking that we need.

Ferenstein: "I'm going to try to reach out to the people who elected Trump, to convince them that our way is better"

loving COWARD! HANG THE MISERABLE TRAITOR!

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Fulchrum posted:

Bernie: "we need to reach out to the people who elected Trump, to convince them that our way is better"

What a brave and daring stand, just the sort of clear thinking that we need.

Ferenstein: "I'm going to try to reach out to the people who elected Trump, to convince them that our way is better"

loving COWARD! HANG THE MISERABLE TRAITOR!

The Ferenstein Bears and Too Much Salt

Hail Mr. Satan! has issued a correction as of 02:56 on Dec 1, 2016

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
"Quote does still not equal edit", exclaimed Papa Bear as he chugged a gallon of salt

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

• Locked thread