Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine

No Muscles For The Majority
I have a date tonight with a woman with a 300lbs deadlift PR :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
hey guys what do you think of this PHUL style workout I made up for myself? I started getting bored with 5x5, but still don't want to commit to any other more "serious" things just yet until I work out some other stuff, so this is sort of a play around and find out how I like other styles of lifting for a bit deal, so it doesn't need to be perfect or anything.

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Incline BP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
DB Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Incline BP 2x10
Cable Cross over 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Skullcrusher 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

this thread being revived brought me back to this place

shabbat goy posted:

is it possible to get swole without giving up drinking beers? can u get swole with toxoplasmosis?

I used to drink a lot of cider and still got buff, though I live clean now and progress is actually noticeably quicker.

By living clean I mean I only drink spirits.

In terms of my own progress I've started ticking off 6B's (rarely 6C) while sport climbing, so I've gotten a lot stronger in my climbing as well as ditching running (at least during the winter) for 20km+ hikes across mixed moorland terrain with a weighted rucksack in preparation for becoming a mountaineer.

also crampons, ice axes and mountain boots are probably the coolest things. I'll be up in Scotland in January to play with my new toys & get really bloody cold

Piso Mojado

I'm running again and it's loving terrible. That said I got these new cheap shoes that make it slightly less terrible (at least on the beach/trails). Highly recommend given their price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F...Srch&th=1&psc=1

hemale in pain

I've been doing a bunch of bouldering at the rock climbing center this month. Everyone should rock climb!!! it's so much fun even if you suck at it.

Shine

hemale in pain posted:

I've been doing a bunch of bouldering at the rock climbing center this month. Everyone should rock climb!!! it's so much fun even if you suck at it.

Agreed! Climbing is hella dope.

alnilam

Shine posted:

Agreed! Climbing is hella dope.

Piso Mojado

Why climb rocks when you can ride a bike imo. :shrug:

alnilam

I ride a bike to the rocks then i climb them :shrug::shrug:

Piso Mojado

On a serious note, do you all climb indoor or outdoor?

alnilam

yes :grin:

Shine

Piso Mojado posted:

Indoors 99% of the time, due to the logistics of it. Going to the gym and hopping on a wall is much easier to plan into my week than driving way out to the canyon and setting a bunch of poo poo up.

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I'm excited to start my YMCA membership (DONT laugh at me) for a waived initiation this wednesday. I realized i hate LA fitness, i'm too beginner for gold's gym, my insurance only discounts 24 hour fitness which is even sadder, and I msotly want to get good enough at swimming to learn to SURF and work all these parts of my body in water instead of lame land. hopefully the few weights/machines they have aren't taken up all the time cause that's dope, also it's in a rich area

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 30, 2016

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Hey Shine, since you're always hitting on me, you'll love seeing me worked out from swimming and in my pool suit. I'll be sure to take pics

Piso Mojado

lmbo calrissian posted:

I'm excited to start my YMCA membership (DONT laugh at me) for a waived initiation this wednesday. I realized i hate LA fitness, i'm too beginner for gold's gym, my insurance only discounts 24 hour fitness which is even sadder, and I msotly want to get good enough at swimming to learn to SURF and work all these parts of my body in water instead of lame land. hopefully the few weights/machines they have aren't taken up all the time cause that's dope, also it's in a rich area

i used to work out at the y and that place rocks. good 4 u

Shine

lmbo calrissian posted:

Hey Shine, since you're always hitting on me, you'll love seeing me worked out from swimming and in my pool suit. I'll be sure to take pics

I'm gonna cough on you and get you sick, sorry.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

lmbo calrissian posted:

i worked for the Y, its a good place

spent today helping a friend take down a barn, good exercise

Piso Mojado posted:

i used to work out at the y and that place rocks. good 4 u

yes

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
What's the CRAZYEST Thing that's ever happened to you at the Y? A mom accidentally take your underwear and she fit em?

Senior Management

I need to get around to paying the YMCA a bunch of money to let me use their pool since my knees don't work and I can't run.

:jerry:

GoodbyeTurtles

Piso Mojado posted:

Indoor at least twice a week & outdoors whenever the weather isn't terrible (maybe once a month).

Climbing is hella good yo

Shine

lmbo calrissian posted:

i'm too beginner for gold's gym

Fwiw Gold's Gym is fine for beginners as is any gym, really. You could waltz into a small powerlifting gym as a total beginner and chances are that 1: nobody would care, and 2: you'd have access to exponentially better trainers than at a mainstream gym like LA Fit, YMCA or Gold's.

alnilam

Shine posted:

Fwiw Gold's Gym is fine for beginners as is any gym, really. You could waltz into a small powerlifting gym as a total beginner and chances are that 1: nobody would care, and 2: you'd have access to exponentially better trainers than at a mainstream gym like LA Fit, YMCA or Gold's.

this, lifting-type ppl are way friendlier than ppl think, in my experience, at least in the context of a gym they are

GoodbyeTurtles

Go into a powerlifting gym, find the biggest dude and ask him how he does it, show how impressed you are; if all goes to plan you will then be 'adopted' by this strong boy and he'll teach you his ways as you eventually become his 'muscle son'

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Tru but you are operating under the assumption that PEOPLE LIKE ME CAN AFFORD TRAINERS.. I should put a disclaimer but someone like me I need to just Do it, and learn on the way, instead of paying someone to teach you how to do it from the start. It's brainwashing. Sure that's a beginner's mentality but I don't have goals to -PUT ON 3O LBS OF MUSCLE IN 24 MONTHS- or learn Olympic style techniques

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 30, 2016

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
But anyway I'm just doing YMCA cause I want a pool. The whole ROAD TO SWOLE style of training that dominates male america is really annoying, tedious, expensive, uninclusive, fun-killing, and spiritually harmful. Just imo

But i agree trainers themselves are great and very friendly and helpful

lmbo calrissian fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 30, 2016

alnilam

lmbo calrissian posted:

But anyway I'm just doing YMCA cause I want a pool. The whole ROAD TO SWOLE style of training that dominates male america is really annoying, tedious, uninclusive, fun-killing, and spiritually harmful. Just imo

I agree but there's a lot more than ROAD TO SWOLE mentality out there than it seems, even in men. U just gotta look 4it.

Actually if you look for advice for women interested in weightlifting specifically about how you can lift weights without "i want to get huge and rippled" being your goal, that i found to be encouraging as a guy who wanted to get stronger but not huge

Also ylls weightlifting ppl incl Shine are very helpful you only need to state what your goals are

alnilam

As an already fit guy who wasn't interested in being swole (and I'm still not), i found weightlifting to be way more fun and rewarding than i expected, i like being stronger and also my body just feels better like all the time like my occasional back pain p much went away altogether. Looks wise I didn't get huge and my clothes all still fit but now i have some nice muscle tone too.

alnilam

That's my lifting story i hope it helps provide some encouragement that there are others like you my friend, enjoy the Y, swimming is good

Senior Management

lmbo calrissian posted:

But anyway I'm just doing YMCA cause I want a pool. The whole ROAD TO SWOLE style of training that dominates male america is really annoying, tedious, expensive, uninclusive, fun-killing, and spiritually harmful. Just imo

Same but the Y is kind of expensive. It is my only real pool option and I will get around to it eventually. I just need a pool.

:jerry:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
*business lobster wearily takes off his suit and stores it in his locker before clickity clacking his way to the YMCA pool then eases himself into the waters as children scream and hurry to get out, lobster sighs and closes his eyes*

Matoi Ryuko

My goal is to go from 135 to 165 as fast as possible

Matoi Ryuko

Inhumanly possible is acceptable

Piso Mojado

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Inhumanly possible is acceptable

Eat a lot, lift a lot, don't die

Matoi Ryuko

Piso Mojado posted:

Eat a lot, lift a lot, don't die

I did a bunch of upper body stuff yesterday and feel today like I did a pretty good job so I'm on my way. :patriot:

Matoi Ryuko

I mean I feel the soreness that comes along with breaking new ground, it'll be gone tommorow so I'll do another workout then.

Matoi Ryuko

I wish I had a bench press and an indoor pullup bar but all those in-home pullup bars look terrifyingly unsafe to me.

Piso Mojado

Yeah I feel ya. I just started a more serious weight routine this week and I'm feeling it bad rn

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

alnilam posted:

As an already fit guy who wasn't interested in being swole (and I'm still not), i found weightlifting to be way more fun and rewarding than i expected, i like being stronger and also my body just feels better like all the time like my occasional back pain p much went away altogether. Looks wise I didn't get huge and my clothes all still fit but now i have some nice muscle tone too.

so youre saying youre subtly sexy. oh oh, toasts to you shirtless alnilam

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Just bought my Y membership today. $35 is exactly what I was paying for LA fitness, just as many locations so i'm excited af. Very satisfied with what the strength training rooms have, it looks like all the essentials I have time to bother with :) :)

I'm actually so jealous of guys who have the time to make big swole goals around their full-time work schedule. Like guys who just fitness is their main hobby, and they make friends from it etc. I already got the feeling it can't be a big fulfilling part of my life just from my first gym experience. I don't forsee myself ever having a workout buddy. I'm jealous of the people who do because their lives seem sooooo simple and comfortable, and stable most of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko

lmbo calrissian posted:

Just bought my Y membership today. $35 is exactly what I was paying for LA fitness, just as many locations so i'm excited af. Very satisfied with what the strength training rooms have, it looks like all the essentials I have time to bother with :) :)

I'm actually so jealous of guys who have the time to make big swole goals around their full-time work schedule. Like guys who just fitness is their main hobby, and they make friends from it etc. I already got the feeling it can't be a big fulfilling part of my life just from my first gym experience. I don't forsee myself ever having a workout buddy. I'm jealous of the people who do because their lives seem sooooo simple and comfortable, and stable most of all

I've been working my rear end off for years and have never made a friend because of it.

• Locked thread