Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hooray, my Pixel XL's Incipio case came in the mail today:

I think the only thing is that I expected the fabric to be more like jersey fabric and it's closer to a thin felt than anything. That probably makes it more grippy in the hand, so that's a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FAUXTON posted:

I think the only thing is that I expected the fabric to be more like jersey fabric and it's closer to a thin felt than anything. That probably makes it more grippy in the hand, so that's a plus.

Are you sure that's not an iPhone case?

:v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nimper posted:

Are you sure that's not an iPhone case?

:v:

Yeah, the hole is for the fingerprint sensor, also if it was an iphone case the picture wouldn't be as good :v:

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Is it even theoretically possible for a car's radio to gently caress up the bluetooth on a phone? A few weeks back the bluetooth on my phone stopped wanting to connect to most bluetooth devices. When it tries to connect it often says "bluetooth share has stopped working" and tries to restart bluetooth, then does that on loop until I turn off bt. So I started leaving bt turned off, and noticed when I would turn it back on, it would act like it's still connected to the last device even though it doesn't indicate any connection in the paired devices list and no audio plays, but if I click to pair my bt speaker for example, it says "this will end your connection to this device." So maybe the problem is actually that it's not disconnecting properly.

The bt on my car's head unit has always been fucky, it would randomly stop playing music, or drop the audio completely and only start working again after turning the car off to reboot the head unit and turning the car back on, and even when it does play, the upper range of the music clips my speakers and is all crackly. The phone doesn't have these problems with any other bt device and the car was the last thing it was connected to before this started, so I blame the car. The car is a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and the phone is a Galaxy S4.

Anyway, I ask because I just got my new HTC 10 and now I'm paranoid about connecting it to the car for fear it will gently caress up my new phone too. :ohdear: Am I worrying over nothing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

I guess I need some more detail on what exactly you're setting in Nova. I set the home button to be Google Now, but that only works if I'm on a home screen.

I don't think I've set anything in Nova on my Nexus 5x. I just press and hold the home button for a second and it takes me to Google Now. Works from any screen and any app.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Why must OxygenOS have scaling that puts about an iPhone 4 size UI onto 5.5"? D: It's huuuuuuuuge, it can get about 4 words across the screen!

Other than that, I don't wish to tempt fate, but no regrets with the 3T so far.
I do need to beg Google to reset my device authorisations for Google Music.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Did they not keep the DPI scaling option from Cyanogenmod in OxygenOS? I really liked that option back when I used a Oneplus One.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Peep Jerky posted:

Is it even theoretically possible for a car's radio to gently caress up the bluetooth on a phone? A few weeks back the bluetooth on my phone stopped wanting to connect to most bluetooth devices. When it tries to connect it often says "bluetooth share has stopped working" and tries to restart bluetooth, then does that on loop until I turn off bt. So I started leaving bt turned off, and noticed when I would turn it back on, it would act like it's still connected to the last device even though it doesn't indicate any connection in the paired devices list and no audio plays, but if I click to pair my bt speaker for example, it says "this will end your connection to this device." So maybe the problem is actually that it's not disconnecting properly.

The bt on my car's head unit has always been fucky, it would randomly stop playing music, or drop the audio completely and only start working again after turning the car off to reboot the head unit and turning the car back on, and even when it does play, the upper range of the music clips my speakers and is all crackly. The phone doesn't have these problems with any other bt device and the car was the last thing it was connected to before this started, so I blame the car. The car is a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and the phone is a Galaxy S4.

Anyway, I ask because I just got my new HTC 10 and now I'm paranoid about connecting it to the car for fear it will gently caress up my new phone too. :ohdear: Am I worrying over nothing?

Funny I had the same issues a few weeks ago in a 2015 Santa Fe and a Moto X Pure. I rebooted my phone and everything seems to be better now. Though occasionally I'll get podcast skipping 10-15 seconds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No matter how far Android gets, the Bluetooth stack remains utter poo poo. This is a universal constant.

Glares at pixel which disconnected from my BRZ 4 times on the 25 minute drive home.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
yeah bluetooth sucks, whenever i change volume it auto starts at lowest setting first.

what is the best practice for screen brightness in regards to battery life? is there a sweet spot? I am fine having it at the lowest level indoors, but it is annoying to have to turn it up if i am outside.. someone told. e adaptive brightness is bad for battery life, is this true?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No matter how far Android gets, the Bluetooth stack remains utter poo poo. This is a universal constant.

Glares at pixel which disconnected from my BRZ 4 times on the 25 minute drive home.

The leaked build seems to have improved bluetooth in my experience.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Must have gotten one of the good bluetooth pixels or something because I've used it multiple times a day, every day since release and it's never once disconnected on me. Only weird issue I had with it was that it tried to archive every single text on my phone when I first connected it(and there are thousands of texts) so it was just a constant stream of notification sounds until I turned off text message sharing to the car. Not sure if that was due to the phone or the car or the particular text message app that I use.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Femur posted:

what is the best practice for screen brightness in regards to battery life? is there a sweet spot? I am fine having it at the lowest level indoors, but it is annoying to have to turn it up if i am outside.. someone told. e adaptive brightness is bad for battery life, is this true?

No, use adaptive brightness

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've literally never had a phone disconnect from Bluetooth unless I went out of range. I'm talking at least ten various Bluetooth devices (headphones, cars, etc) across six Android devices. Bow before me.

FAUXTON posted:

Let me know how you like this. I've been considering getting one for my Pixel, but a lot of the reviews I've seen haven't been super positive. A lot of people say it's slicker than expected and less fabric-y. But it's certainly nicer looking (and more expensive) that your run of the mill Diztronic, so I might swing for it.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It looks bad.

e: it looks like a t-shirt

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

bull3964 posted:

Eh my 6P hasn't ever disconnected from my Mazda.

It does occasionally connect in a state where it'll play audio but won't show any controls on the car audio system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

XIII posted:

I've literally never had a phone disconnect from Bluetooth unless I went out of range. I'm talking at least ten various Bluetooth devices (headphones, cars, etc) across six Android devices. Bow before me.

Let me know how you like this. I've been considering getting one for my Pixel, but a lot of the reviews I've seen haven't been super positive. A lot of people say it's slicker than expected and less fabric-y. But it's certainly nicer looking (and more expensive) that your run of the mill Diztronic, so I might swing for it.

I wouldn't call it slick by any length, but the fabric isn't terribly luxe or anything. The plastic parts are like a matte texture, not glossy but not grip-tape-esque.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
Well, glad I'm not the only one having Bluetooth problems with their car, but it still worries me that Bluetooth seems to be corrupted and I don't know why. Rebooting the phone hasn't helped, but I suppose I'll do a factory reset after I activate the new one and then test to see if that fixes it. The only other advice I've found online is to not allow the car to download your contacts when you pair, but it was working for almost two years before the phone barfed all over Bluetooth, so I doubt that was the problem.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Bluetooth is terrible, Ford's bluetooth is extra terrible.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Aww, my Chevy Sonic pairs fine to my Moto X, but it decides what it wants to resume playing at random.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
All phones can have issues with car Bluetooth. iOS 10 broke Bluetooth with a bunch of vehicles, it isn't just an Android issue.

My S7 has never had issues with my Acura but I count myself lucky because I know quite a few people using the same phone with other cars that have issues, especially Fords.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Aww, my Chevy Sonic pairs fine to my Moto X, but it decides what it wants to resume playing at random.

I think the Moto software that automatically starts playing when it detects the car stereo is busted and has been for a long time.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
Occasionally my bluetooth headphones would start skipping while listening to music on my Nexus 6P. I really want to switch over to wireless but I just seem to always have problems with bluetooth

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I had 6 or 7 phones over the last 3,5 years I have owned my current car. Not once did I experience any problem. European car supremacy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

monster on a stick posted:

I think the Moto software that automatically starts playing when it detects the car stereo is busted and has been for a long time.

Nothing to do with moto software. My pixel behaves the same way. Sometime it decides "Oh, hey, no queue huh? Let me take it upon myself to create a completely random one and start playing it even though the Bluetooth audio input isn't selected."

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, hitting the play button in my car is always a gamble in terms of what will start playing. I could be listening to Play Music, hit pause, get in the car, hit play on the car, and BeyondPod will fire up, even though Play Music is still active in the notification shade.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Review of Xperia X Compact:

Pros:

-lightweight
-battery life is such that with normal use, I have 40% left at the end of the day
-one handed use is still cool and good
-Sony OS is still fairly unintrusive, haven't noticed anything bad
-is nice to be able to remote in to your PS4 via Remote Play with your phone to apply a quick update or something like that
-a nice phone for $350

Cons:

-lightweight, feels not very "flagship"
-not many cases available or accessories
-lol at actually playing a game via Remote Play
-where the gently caress do you buy an additional charger from Sony?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Quick question as I'm trying to figure out what will work best for my wife and I.

We're using Google Photos to backup pictures on our iPhones. Does Android do this automatically and grab photos from MMS messages as well?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It automatically backs up photos but I don't think it does it for mms

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Irritated Goat posted:

Quick question as I'm trying to figure out what will work best for my wife and I.

We're using Google Photos to backup pictures on our iPhones. Does Android do this automatically and grab photos from MMS messages as well?
It will grab photos from WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger automatically, but I don't think MMS works unless you specifically save the picture to the phone.

Solution: stop using MMS.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Irritated Goat posted:

It will not auto-save MMS photos, but if you manually save the photo to your phone it will create a folder for Messenger photos, which in turn will prompt Photos to ask if you want to back that folder up automatically. Tell it yes, and then anytime you save a MMS photo it will backup. But, again, you have to manually save the photo first.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

My new (used) 6P is about to arrive and I'm putting together a list of poo poo to do to set it up. Is there any reason for the average user to root anymore or should I just chill the heck out and just leave my phone alone?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Assuming Photos works the same way on iOS that is.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Irritated Goat posted:

It may depend on which texting app you use. I use Textra, and I see an option for "save all images to your gallery" in the settings (although I've never tried it). Other apps likely have similar options.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

My new (used) 6P is about to arrive and I'm putting together a list of poo poo to do to set it up. Is there any reason for the average user to root anymore or should I just chill the heck out and just leave my phone alone?
Not really. I had been rooting since about 2009 until around March of this year and I don't miss it. I bought an Adguard license for ad blocking and use Helium (and Samsung Smart Switch, which doesn't apply here) for backups and those replaced the two biggest reasons I still had root.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

El Mido posted:

Did they not keep the DPI scaling option from Cyanogenmod in OxygenOS? I really liked that option back when I used a Oneplus One.

'fraid not. The options right now are either an adb wm somethingorother command, a custom ROM, or wait for Nougat which has it native. The current Oxygen UI is hard coded to 480 though so the adb tweak just means you end up with glitches anywhere they've customised such as the quick settings shade, power 'button' overlay, camera manual controls etc.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

XIII posted:

Yeah, hitting the play button in my car is always a gamble in terms of what will start playing. I could be listening to Play Music, hit pause, get in the car, hit play on the car, and BeyondPod will fire up, even though Play Music is still active in the notification shade.

On my 6P, I can be actively listening to Play Music, hit the play/pause button in the car, and it'll pause the music to start playing Beyondpod, if it chooses to do anything at all. Maybe one time in ten it'll actually pause the music.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my $120 Moto Z Droid today, I look forward to comparing it to the Pixel tonight. Nougat to Nougat.

I got one of the two included moto mods already too (the Incipio battery mod), the JBL speaker mod should get here tomorrow.

In all, not too shabby. A $649 phone with $180 in accessories for $120 that I can pay off immediately. Sure beats a G4 Play as a spare phone. It'll be better than my pixel at daydream too due to the larger and higher pixel density display.

Moto also said yesterday that it was likely they would come out with a project tango moto mod which would be pretty cool.

I don't know that I would buy this as my main phone because the Pixel is just so good, but I'll be interested to see what this new direction for moto is like.

It will honestly probably replace my N7 as my around the house device. The speakers with the kickstand will be nice as a portable TV.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 1, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

On my 6P, I can be actively listening to Play Music, hit the play/pause button in the car, and it'll pause the music to start playing Beyondpod, if it chooses to do anything at all. Maybe one time in ten it'll actually pause the music.

Yeah I think that's a BeyondPod thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I use beyondpod and it doesn't do that for me. I don't have play music, but I use spotify, smart audiobook reader and a uk radio app on a regular basis. They all seem to work pretty well together, it'll just pick up the last one I was listening to when I get in the car and pause just works.