Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

JackDarko posted:

Can you really not obtain the lifesteal sword move that was in the Carbuncle demo? Did they remove directional skills from the game? My apologies if this has been asked before.

Kinda.

EDIT: There are videos too showing off all the movesets(except Daggers).

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So without any spoilers if at all possible, should I be concerned about hitting an unexpected "point of no return" on the open world stuff? I only ask since the devs said the game's first half is open world, then it grows linear at the end--is that something strict, or will I always be able to go and tie up loose ends as need be?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So without any spoilers if at all possible, should I be concerned about hitting an unexpected "point of no return" on the open world stuff? I only ask since the devs said the game's first half is open world, then it grows linear at the end--is that something strict, or will I always be able to go and tie up loose ends as need be?

The only missable thing is there's an achievement for beating a specific boss on Normal difficulty. You might be locked out of certain areas for a while but you'll be able to go back eventually.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Does Gladio have any experience point triggers via dialogue? Ignis has gotten like three (one of them being a 1000xp boost) and is about half a level ahead of him. Prompto only got a piddly 200xp one so far.

I just started Chapter 4 if that helps.

In other bits, the gang's constant griping about the line is gonna put me off fishing. Seriously guys, the line is fine.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Whoever said magic is a "gently caress you I'm not doing this fight" button is right.

Quintcast Thundara :stare:

Reposting because it makes me laugh every time I watch it. But yeah magic barely hurts you at all, Gladio went from 832 to 809 but acts like the whole world is ending :rolleyes:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ApplesandOranges posted:

Does Gladio have any experience point triggers via dialogue? Ignis has gotten like three (one of them being a 1000xp boost) and is about half a level ahead of him. Prompto only got a piddly 200xp one so far.

I just started Chapter 4 if that helps.

In other bits, the gang's constant griping about the line is gonna put me off fishing. Seriously guys, the line is fine.

I've gotten several dialogue things with Gladio but can't remember if they gave EXP. for what it's worth I'm in chapter 5 and Gladio is half a level ahead in my game.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know how I change the L1 skills for my party? i unlocked a new one for gladio but only have the option to activate his first attack.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gear, first option.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Game's great, full of terrible puns and exceedingly suggestive early-morning chats between bros interspersed with cool fights and pretty cutscenes.

Also if you're not rolling down the highway with the beaux arts decal on the regalia you aren't really playing the game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I was just cruising in the daytime down the highway with my bros when all of the sudden like 10 soldiers jumped us. They're all like several levels above us and I swear they're holding our kicckass ride hostage. Like they're just hovering around it now as we look on from a distance, too weak to take back our rightful throne.

They'll pay for this...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Craft a dual/triplecast Thunder/Thundara and group them up and oneshot them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raxivace posted:

So I was just cruising in the daytime down the highway with my bros when all of the sudden like 10 soldiers jumped us. They're all like several levels above us and I swear they're holding our kicckass ride hostage. Like they're just hovering around it now as we look on from a distance, too weak to take back our rightful throne.

They'll pay for this...

You can run away and then use the map menu option to summon your car for 100 gil, but that's hilarious :haw:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Here's a thing that sucks... oh, I have to assault an outpost for my next mission? better rest up and eat a high value meal.

arrive at outpost: "we should go camp to devise a strategy"

goodbye meal.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What are good reviews? Basically, is this game Good? I hated 13, liked 13-2 and 13-3. I played all of the other ones from 4-13, that were single player.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's fun but feels held together by duct tape.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Terper posted:

Craft a dual/triplecast Thunder/Thundara and group them up and oneshot them.
I tried crafting magic but I don't really get the system. I ended up kiting dudes away from the main pack, killing who I could, running out of the zone to recover and then running back in. Ultimately I was able to gain back my ride, and now we roam the roads once again- as men.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can run away and then use the map menu option to summon your car for 100 gil, but that's hilarious :haw:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I tried crafting magic but I don't really get the system. I ended up kiting dudes away from the main pack, killing who I could, running out of the zone to recover and then running back in. Ultimately I was able to gain back my ride, and now we roam the roads once again- as men.

Select magic type, increase power by pressing R, add an item in the lower slot to get an extra effect, and then hit the craft button beneath that.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
For anyone who is having the issues with the edge of the screen being cut off like I was and has an LG tv that doesn't have an obvious PC mode or ability to disable Overscan, you can try this: in the menu, try and find an option called "Input Label". Mine was under Setup. Set that to PC. That fixed the problem for me.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Terper posted:

Select magic type, increase power by pressing R, add an item in the lower slot to get an extra effect, and then hit the craft button beneath that.

What's the tradeoff for increasing power? Fewer "charges"?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
This game is really good but I could use a movelist for all the weapons, has anyone got something like that? Is there one in-game? Am I just dumb as poo poo??? who knows!!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

just found this dude. game is full of chill bros

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gschmidl posted:

What's the tradeoff for increasing power? Fewer "charges"?

There's no tradeoff, it just means you have to go recharge your elemental energy more often. And if you're gonna go for a while without being able to recharge and you need multiple shots of magic, having six half-strength spells might be more valuable than three full-powered ones, depending on what catalyst you're using.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
First track on the FFXIV soundtrack is Garuda. 10/10 GOTY

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gladio: "Puny, just like yours."
Noct: "Hey!"

woah guys

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
"In TYOOL 2016 we might catch some flak for not having any female party members."

"Better make the female guest character fight with a giant teddy bear then."

Seriously squenix, just give her a rapier or archery or something if you have to keep it femme, drat.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Terper posted:

Gladio: "Puny, just like yours."
Noct: "Hey!"

woah guys

Prompto: "This place is really romantic!"
Gladio: "And you're here with us."
Noctis: "All three of us."
Ignis: "You lucky, lucky boy."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I prefer giant teddy bears over yet another character who uses a rapier or a bow because they're weapons for girls

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Either this game has really convincing weather effects, or (and) I'm an idiot, because I was playing on a rainy, miserable in-game day, and when I had to go out shortly after I grabbed my jacket, despite it being summer where I live. :downs:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Terper posted:

Reposting because it makes me laugh every time I watch it. But yeah magic barely hurts you at all, Gladio went from 832 to 809 but acts like the whole world is ending :rolleyes:

I want to see behind the scenes footage of the voice actors doing this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/804270300917469185

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is fine.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Golly I love magic bursting those giant gobs of troops that pile out of airships. It's so satisfying.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

There are a lot fewer weapons than I would have thought, unless I just keep missing them. Has anybody found a greatsword that can be upgraded yet? I've got the sword Noct starts with and I found a spear that can be tinkered with, but that's it. Only seen 4 or 5 different weapons for each type so far, and a couple of them are just for targeting elemental weaknesses and are otherwise straight downgrades.

Not a big deal really, just seems odd that they included an upgrade system at all if only 2 weapons and a couple machinist tools can actually use it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fought the first honest to goodness boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUgBNUg0dc4

I uh...didn't quite aim my magic quite right...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Gotta say, the pre-order weapons are a drat sight better than I was expecting. They are lasting me a long rear end time, though that may be partially due to how much exploring I do. The only thing I've found was some great sword at a treasure spot that's better than the Masamune but nothing else.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Ciaphas posted:

There's no reason not to just hold down the defend button at literally all times, is there?

It eats your MP, which puts you into stasis.

Levantine posted:

Gotta say, the pre-order weapons are a drat sight better than I was expecting. They are lasting me a long rear end time, though that may be partially due to how much exploring I do. The only thing I've found was some great sword at a treasure spot that's better than the Masamune but nothing else.

Pre order or collectors edition? I got a pre order the day before it came out, and the weapons I have are a great sword, spear, and broadsword. Are those the pre order weapons?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Pre order or collectors edition? I got a pre order the day before it came out, and the weapons I have are a great sword, spear, and broadsword. Are those the pre order weapons?

Not so much an issue when you start getting some Ascension abilities that minimize the cost.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

lite_sleepr posted:

The road trip weapons I guess. Gae Bolg, Mage Mashers and Blazefire saber. They seem really strong.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Levantine posted:

The road trip weapons I guess. Gae Bolg, Mage Mashers and Blazefire saber. They seem really strong.

Them and the Masamune that comes with all preorders and day one edition copies will cover you for a while. I just got into Duscae myself and neglected to check the weapon seller in the first rest stop. But I went through the entire Hammerhead area and most of the hunts I could do in there with just those weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Them and the Masamune that comes with all preorders and day one edition copies will cover you for a while. I just got into Duscae myself and neglected to check the weapon seller in the first rest stop. But I went through the entire Hammerhead area and most of the hunts I could do in there with just those weapons.

Yeah I've been able to do some of the higher level hunts (that show up in Red) with those and a combination of cheesy magic casts. I appreciate that the game will let you take advantage of how much there is to do. Over leveling does make story content easier but it's there if you want it.

• Locked thread